It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Blade Runner reboot
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:58 am 
Black Hole

Shoe wrote:
Also, giant hologram tits.

Looking to book tickets for this weekend. This is definitely a BIG convincer for me. How were the nipples on these giant breasts? Never mind, I will wistfully dream until it is realized for myself.

*sigh*

Wistful thoughts.......

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:11 am 

Just the fact that you see tits in it is a reason I'm glad that Blade Runner 2049 exists. And not really for prurient reasons, but just because...when was the last big-budget, R-rated sci-fi movie with tits? Hell, when was the last major movie with tits, period?

We've come a long way from the days when potentially seeing a pair of boobs in a movie was half the reason you were there. There was a funny moment when I saw the Robocop remake a few years back, and there's a scene where Murphy is having a chaste, PG-13 makeout session with his wife, and suddenly I hear THUDTHUDTHUD to my right, and jerked my eyes involuntarily to the right to see a pair of ten-year-olds BOOKING it out of the theater. There was also a similar moment of chaste nuzzling in X-Men: Apocalypse last year with Magneto and his wife, and I remember some kid yelling out, "THAT'S ENOUGH!!!" in a totally panicky voice. :lol:

I just remember the days when you were a kid, and there was anything even REMOTELY sexual in a movie, you'd lean forward at rapt attention, and likely share what you'd seen with your awed buddies on the playground at school the next day. It seems like kids on the cusp of adolescence these days don't care a whit about seeing tits in movies, probably because they can see all the tits they want on their laptops or smartphones in the privacy of their bedrooms at home. We had to WORK to see tits, dammit. :mad:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:44 am 

Big budget US movies are made for Chinese audiences, and China doesn't allow nudity. Ergo, no tits.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:06 am 

Chris Knight wrote:
Big budget US movies are made for Chinese audiences, and China doesn't allow nudity. Ergo, no tits.

Well, then that makes spending so much on 2049 and including tits even more of a commercial gamble.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:14 am 

China has a different cut of the film. If you look at where the boobs are included in 2049, they are easy to cover-up/remove. Removing the singular boobs shot in the original BR actually fucks with the pacing of the scene, so it's not as easy (and yet was still done for US broadcast - you fucking prudes).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:25 am 
Black Hole

Pender wrote:
How were the nipples on these giant breasts?

Honest answer?

The nipples in this movie are wonderful. Erect, perky pencil erasers. Superb nipples by any measure, even on the gigantic statues.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:43 am 
Black Hole

Shoe wrote:
Pender wrote:
How were the nipples on these giant breasts?

Honest answer?

The nipples in this movie are wonderful. Erect, perky pencil erasers. Superb nipples by any measure, even on the gigantic statues.

I am in love with this movie, already.

:thumbs:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:11 am 

I saw it yesterday and I agree with Shoe. It's a fantastic movie. I absolutely love the original and I feel this is a more than worthy follow-up. The camera work is beautiful. I loved the pacing and the way the story unfolds in its own time. Nothing seemed rushed. I loved the expansion outside of L.A. so that we get to see what life is like outside of the city streets and the Tyrell corporation building. I thought Gosling was perfect and Ford actually got a chance to act in this film unlike in The Force Awakens where I really thought he was forcing it.

This may be my favorite movie of 2017. I need to see it again though and will likely do so next week with a coworker.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:16 pm 
Black Hole

Tickets bought for tomorrow morning.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:36 pm 

Pender wrote:

Wish I was there to go with you.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:03 am 
Black Hole

caryc wrote:
Pender wrote:

Wish I was there to go with you.

Sunday brunch and Blade Runner 2049 should be nice. Your company would be welcomed.

:thumbs:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:47 am 
Black Hole

:shock: :noclue: :cry:

Fucking wow.

An amazing eye candy sequel.

*SPOILERS MAY FOLLOW*

First, let me say that Shoe was not out-of-line on any of the praise on the breasts or nipples. Very good and amazing. Satisfying on many levels.

I am not sure how this is not a sensory overload in the same sense as the original. To me, it was.

Joi's ringtone is Sergey Prokofiev's, Peter and the Wolf, which I only really remember the music and not much of the story other than it was a wolf being captured by a boy. Refreshing my memory of it, at the end there is a duck that is swallowed by the wolf and it can be heard still quacking inside the wolf since it was swallowed alive and whole.

Since a lot of the movie revolves around trying to capture things from abstract as capturing reality or love, to more concrete capturing of a "miracle" replicant. It is fitting that the Peter and the Wolf music comes to us over and over. Not unlike the original that haunted us with its phenomenal soundtrack.

The music here goes from the titillating distant feathery echoes of a single tone to a bombastic acoustic wrench turn and hammer slamming the gut similar to the original and very satisfying.

The dialogue is sparse and potent.

Sometimes waiting for a comparative eternity to hear a line that might have been delivered in a tenth of the time if anyone else had directed or built this film. But it is never a wait that is overly long or boring. For instance, the opening encounter of Officer K and Sapper Morton is filled with nonverbal story that weighs perfectly against the first spoken words.

Sapper informs K that he has witnessed a miracle.

K seems unimpressed, but we realize that K is rarely outward in his own replicant thoughts (unless it is with his very lovely holographic partner, Joi).

Visually the film is filled to the brim with people in the expanse of Los Angeles in 2049 and is so overwhelmingly stifling and claustrophobic that we're thankfully spared more than a few scenes of streets populated by those unable to go to the glorious, blessed Off-World Colonies. Like the original that only showed one real sequence of choking crowds when Deckard pursued Zhora through the streets, we get the sense of sprawling populations, but only get glimpses of the dregs of society.

Which is how it should be.

"Stop right where you are! You know the score, pal. You're not cop, you're little people."

No choice, pal.

I definitely cannot wait to see this again.

:hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :half:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:37 pm 
Black Hole

The stupid fucking questions in this stupid fucking article annoyed the shit out of me:

After almost three breathless hours of pulsating dystopian thrills, we are no closer to filling in many of the gaps in Ridley Scott’s original 1982 dystopian masterwork. Is Harrison Ford’s Rick Deckard a replicant?

It doesn't fucking matter, and more importantly, answering the question would undermine half the fucking point, which is that we're supposed to question whether there is any fundamental difference between human and replicant. Leaving the question of Deckard open is key to driving that philosophical question, you moron.

What do the off-world colonies look like?

Who fucking cares? It doesn't matter. It's better not to know. We know Earth is in a shamble. The off-world colonies should serve as an almost mythical place the people on Earth want to escape to. That sort of thing is better left to our imagination. You show them, and suddenly they're just another set of sci-fi cities.

Are androids the next stage in human evolution, or merely useful gifts for the 21st-century sociopath who has everything?

You stupid cockknocker, this is the fundamental question of the series. You don't answer that question! You introduce the question to the audience and prompt them to think about it. If you just hand them an answer, it's no longer the smart sci-fi you claim to want!

What’s more, we suddenly have dozens of new puzzles to solve. Is Carla Juri’s Dr Ana Stelline Deckard’s biological daughter, and can she ever leave that giant glass dome?

1) Yes. Were you fucking paying attention?

2) Yes. Were you fucking paying attention? She's not there because she's sick, she's there to hide and protect her.

Who will win the battle for control over the first naturally born replicant – Jared Leto’s Niander Wallace, or Hiam Abbass’s one-eyed robo-insurgent Freysa?

Who gives a shit? This isn't fucking Star Wars.

Will Deckard and Ana ever restore their father-daughter bond, given he abandoned her to that awful orphanage as a small child?

Who gives a shit? Ending the movie on the note they did was ideal; you don't need another story to explain that Deckard went to lunch with his daughter and they had a nice chat and then she cried and then they had a nice father/daughter moment, you jackass.

Villeneuve and screenwriters Hampton Fancher and Michael Green might well have been hoping to answer all these questions in future instalments.

No, I'm pretty sure they're smarter than that.

What a shitty piece of shit column.

:half: :nohole: :nohole: :nohole: :nohole:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:12 pm 

That guy is going to hate Battle Angel. Well, assuming Cameron left it as abstract as the original anime.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:19 pm 

I assumed Deckerd was a replicant because I don't think normal 70+ year-olds can fight like him.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:57 pm 

brian wrote:
I assumed Deckerd was a replicant because I don't think normal 70+ year-olds can fight like him.

It doesn't matter. Hence Deckard's response about the dog when K asks him if it's real. Which I'm still convinced was eaten by the replicants that saved K from his conveniently-wasn't-snuffed nap in Vegas.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:44 am 
Black Hole

Chris Knight wrote:
It doesn't matter.

Exactly right. Giving a definitive answer here would be the wrong choice. The whole point is to blur those lines. The real answer doesn't matter. What matters is the question. That's why they smartly sent mixed signals. To maintain the blur.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:40 am 
Black Hole

Shoe wrote:
What a shitty piece of shit column.

:half: :nohole: :nohole: :nohole: :nohole:

Why didn't you write it better?

:unsure:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:44 pm 
Black Hole

Shoe wrote:
The stupid fucking questions in this stupid fucking article annoyed the shit out of me:

I ended up revising and expanding this post for a full blog article, because I thought it deserved it:

http://ericsanjuan.com/writer-who-lamen ... rt-sci-fi/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:51 pm 
Black Hole

Shoe wrote:
Shoe wrote:

I ended up revising and expanding this post for a full blog article, because I thought it deserved it:

http://ericsanjuan.com/writer-who-lamen ... rt-sci-fi/

You got the title wrong in your article title.

8-)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:19 pm 

That was a brilliant article, Shoe. I 100% agree with everything you said and I'd have been extremely pissed if they'd tried to answer any of those questions (beyond the father/daughter one which was obvious).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:53 pm 
Black Hole

Thanks, Cary!

And yeah, I was super skeptical of this movie, but they totally won me over by not doing all the dumb shit that film critic wanted them to do.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:26 am 
Black Hole

Thank you for fixing the title in your title.

I think this is a perfect response to what boils down to just an idiot really reaching to complain about the most ridiculous things from the movie.

8-)