It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:20 pm 
Black Hole

Maybe not a Halloween movie by most standards, but I think it qualifies as it touches on the idea of spirits being summoned and so on as part of the primary story (plus it was one that Mrs. Pender could watch without being freaked out):

The Illusionist - :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole: :nohole:

Surprisingly enjoyable even on a second viewing. The illusions and magic are done in such a way as they all appear to be chunky-frame-by-frame old-timey scenes. But I think that adds to the feel of the movie. The story is very straight-forward, but enjoyable.

Solid entertainment.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:18 pm 

Pender wrote:
Maybe not a Halloween movie by most standards, but I think it qualifies as it touches on the idea of spirits being summoned and so on as part of the primary story (plus it was one that Mrs. Pender could watch without being freaked out):

The Illusionist - :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole: :nohole:

Surprisingly enjoyable even on a second viewing. The illusions and magic are done in such a way as they all appear to be chunky-frame-by-frame old-timey scenes. But I think that adds to the feel of the movie. The story is very straight-forward, but enjoyable.

Solid entertainment.

On a completely non-Halloween note, if you have Netflix you should check out the series Magic for Humans. This guy does street magic but each episode ties to a theme. For instance, self-restraint may be one and he'll be doing tricks that illustrate certain points. Very funny, very cool magic and the host/magician guy is extremely likeable.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:34 pm 

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:46 pm 

Chris Knight wrote:
:lol:
Brian, that is hilarious. It's America, you should expect unnecessary preaching at any occasion.

He seemed... nice enough, and had a message that "Jesus is not the same as the church!" but, yeah, uncomfortable. And outside of weddings, and the lunch I had on a farm a few weeks back, I rarely hear surprise prayer/preaching these days.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:39 pm 

The only good thing about Creature With The Atom Brain is the Roky Erickson song that was written about it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:43 pm 
Black Hole

caryc wrote:
Magic for Humans.

I've seen this come up on my feed. We have access to a friend's Netflix, so I may mark this for viewing.

:thumbs:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:04 am 

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:39 am 

It’s the big day…!

Doopit-DOOPIT, doopit-DOOPIT…

-Green Room (2016): :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :half: :nohole:

-Night Of The Demons (1988): :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :half: :nohole:

-The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993): :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1:

Totally random selection to see out another month’s worth of shocks, shrieks and scares. 2016’s Green Room concerns a small-scale punk rock band (played by Alia Shakwat, Callum Turner, Joe Cole and Anton Yelchin) who take a gig at a remote bar in the Pacific Northwest filled with nasty skinheads, only to witness the aftermath of a murder in the back room, forcing them to hole themselves inside and await rescue (the dead girl’s friend, played by Yelchin’s Fright Night remake co-star Imogen Poots, is also present when they barricade themselves inside) while the bar’s saturnine owner (Patrick Stewart…!) calmly rallies the troops outside and starts arranging for the frightened bandmembers to quietly “disappear”. Written and directed by Jeremy Saulnier (Blue Ruin, the current Netflix release Hold The Dark), Green Room is a tense, well-shot variation on that old horror/thriller subgenre, the “siege movie”, that offers up plenty of gruesome thrills and taut situations. It’s not quite a great film, but worthy of attention, especially for fans of the late, talented Yelchin.

Night Of The Demons, meanwhile, concerns a pack of late-80’s teens who arrange a Halloween-night party at “Hull House”, a long-abandoned mortuary where they’ll drink, dance, fornicate and, oh yeah, unleash evil spirits that will slowly take over their minds and bodies and set them against each other in increasingly gruesome ways. Night takes about a half-hour to really get rockin’ and rollin’, but once it does, it offers up an adequate collection of in-your-face, gross-out haunted house tropes, with great makeup effects by Steve Johnson. It never achieves the kind of kinetic, Jack-in-the-box relentlessness of any of Sam Raimi’s Evil Dead films (which it clearly emulates), but it’s sicko fun nevertheless, capped with a great, dark punchline.

Finally, The Nightmare Before Christmas (celebrating its 25th anniversary this year) remains one of the best Tim Burton films that Tim Burton never directed (it’s actually the work of the gifted Henry Selick, who went on to make James & The Giant Peach and the marvelous Coraline). A charmingly skewed take on those beloved Rankin/Bass holiday specials of yore, in concerns one Jack Skellington (spoken by Chris Sarandon and sung – beautifully -- by composer and songwriter Danny Elfman), the Pumpkin King of “Halloweentown”, a gorgeously gnarled world where it’s Halloween 365 days of the year. And yet Jack grows weary of the same old shocks, so when he discovers an enticing doors carved into a tree in the forest, he opens it and tumbles into the colorful eye-candy paradise of “Christmastown”, where he conspires – with the most noble of intentions – to kidnap “Sandy Claws (Ed Ivory) and allow him to take a vacation day so he can take his place delivering his own conception of delightful Christmas gifts (this crackerjack sequence, with Jack’s deeply-misconceived “presents” running amok, makes me laugh harder and longer than any other in a Burton movie). Beautifully-animated, and set to a series of witty, wistful Elfman songs, Nightmare is the ideal film to say goodbye to one beloved holiday and pass the torch to another, and it remains one of my most cherished Halloween-time perennials. Here’s looking forward to Jack, Sally and the denizens of Halloweentown celebrating another quarter-century’s worth of ghoulish yuletide joy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:49 pm 

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:24 pm 

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:15 pm 

Since I'm stuck at home with pneumonia Halloween continues.

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:54 pm 
Black Hole

The Sixth Sense - :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :half:

I was amazed that Mrs. Pender had not seen this AND had not had any of it spoiled for her.

I mean 18 years and not once had anyone told her about seeing dead people or that He was dead all along.

It made the viewing even more enjoyable, but the movie is really good, IMHO.

It is slightly besmirched by all the M. Knight hatred that has been snowballing for nearly 2 decades now, too. But even that did not really dim the story as it progressed.

A good way to end Halloween.

8-)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:55 pm 
Pollution Baby

Blacula
:hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1:

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:30 pm 
Black Hole

I really need to watch Blacula.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:35 pm 

One double-feature I didn't think of until I had finished watching the latter film was Blacula and Dark Shadows. I have to pencil that in for next year.

Despite the silly title, Blacula is legit-good, and the sequel isn't bad either (and has Pam Grier).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:54 pm 

Scream, Blacula, Scream is the superior Blacula.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:34 am 

Still waiting for Blacula In Space.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:49 am 

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:52 am 
Pollution Baby

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:00 am 

I would watch that. A few times.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:28 am 
Black Hole

:hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole: :nohole:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wish the graphics were more clear, but really fucking funny.

:thumbs:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:04 pm 

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:52 am 
Pollution Baby

Hanger 10 (2014)

:hole1: :nohole: :nohole: :nohole: :nohole:

Found footage style film with an interesting idea, but the movie had about 10% beginning, 90% middle and no end. The tag line should be, "The Truth Will Be Hinted At." It played a lot like spliced together cut scenes from a video game.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:15 am 

Just picked this fucker up. I actually haven't seen it since it has as many cuts as Blade Runner does, but this baby has every single one of 'em so it's time to get familiarized with it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:27 pm 

Night of the Demon is fucking great! I never realized there were so many cuts of it, though. I may have to grab that one too. Trivia fact, Kate Bush, used a character's line from the movie "It's in the trees, it's coming!" as the beginning of her song the Hounds of Love.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:51 pm 

Kimfair wrote:
I may have to grab that one too.

Diabolik still has the Bells and Whistles version in stock which is currently going for a cool hundo on the Amazon secondary market if you need the elaborate packaging. It only ended up being about $5 more than the standard blu-ray, so I figured I'd splurge.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:02 am 

Just a heads up for those of you who have Shudder. I checked last night and Mandy is streaming this month. I still haven't seen it but rest assured, that shit will be watched this weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:54 pm 

JFelix wrote:

Just picked this fucker up. I actually haven't seen it since it has as many cuts as Blade Runner does, but this baby has every single one of 'em so it's time to get familiarized with it.

Is this region free? I need it if it is.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:00 pm 

Noto wrote:

Yep, region free! Well worth the cash I threw down for it. It's gorgeous and stacked with interesting stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:40 am 

JFelix wrote:
Noto wrote:

Yep, region free! Well worth the cash I threw down for it. It's gorgeous and stacked with interesting stuff.

Just ordered it. Really nice looking package, and I love the fact that there's 4 versions of it. Looking forward to seeing the differences. Picked up Burn Witch Burn as well as an add on - great little film if you've not seen it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7