It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:26 am 

Eric wrote:
Overall, put me down in the "There were a couple places where some characters did shit that's hard to explain, but generally it was good" camp.

That's where I stand on it also. I watched it over the summer for the first time. I felt that a lot of the hate (and there was some real hatred for it out there) was unjustified. Overall I liked the movie and loved the initial idea. I'm looking forward to Alien: Covenant.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:38 am 
Singularity ∞

I was looking forward to Alien: Covenant until the trailer.

It's like Scott saw some of the (wholly justified) criticism of Prometheus and said, "Fine, I'll just make a scare film."

That shower clip looks like something from a slasher flick.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:58 am 

The Alien Covenant trailer looks like Scott is simply remaking Alien, and that's not a compliment.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:41 am 
Black Hole

Chris Knight wrote:
The Alien Covenant trailer looks like Scott is simply remaking Alien, and that's not a compliment.

Damn, you and Shoe must spend a lot of time yelling at kids on your lawn.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:04 am 

Don't worry guys, as soon as Neill Blomkamp's piece of shit Alien movie comes out, you will have completely forgotten about this piece of shit Alien movie.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:50 am 

Shoe wrote:
I was looking forward to Alien: Covenant until the trailer.

It's like Scott saw some of the (wholly justified) criticism of Prometheus and said, "Fine, I'll just make a scare film."

You know, you can't win...Scott tried to build something unique onto the vague framework of the Alien franchise, got batted around by studio execs and fanboys grousing that it wasn't enough like Alien. Now, it looks like he's giving fans "what they want", and they're STILL fucking complaining. :flip:

Personally, I liked Prometheus a lot more than most. Flawed? You bet! But also ambitious and gorgeous and full of tense moments. But, if Scott just wants to go back to basics and make a "monster jumping out of the dark" scare show akin to the original...well, I'm fine with that, too, so long as it's a good scare show (and unlike the third and fourth Alien movies, which just plain sucked).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:07 pm 
Singularity ∞

The entire premise of Prometheus was fantastic. I loved every aspect of what he was trying to do and liked that it was a break from traditional Alien stuff. I didn't want just more alien stuff.

But the writing fucking sucked. Offensively stupid characters doing stupid things, which doesn't fly when it's supposedly a groundbreaking science expedition.

If he's going back to basics I'm sure it will be good, but I have little interest in seeing that and will be disappointed if he drops the ambitious mythology mining that Prometheus began.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:56 pm 
Black Hole

Shoe wrote:
But the writing fucking sucked. Offensively stupid characters doing stupid things, which doesn't fly when it's supposedly a groundbreaking science expedition.

I've known plenty of scientists that have made poor decisions, ignorant decisions, bad decisions.

And you should check out Jim Jefferies' bit on people that get into the rockets ("space ships" in the case of Prometheus).

8-)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:01 pm 
Singularity ∞

There is a difference between making a bad life decision when you're otherwise smart and a space botanist sticking his face into a strange alien organism. One is just normal human stuff. The other is shit ass writing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:44 pm 
HMFIC

Sticking his face into a strange alien organism... while that face is covered by a helmet that he might reasonably have perceived to be significant protection.

Dude didn't see Alien with David on the ship. He was in hypersleep. So he doesn't know that alien bioweapons have acid for blood and didn't see one burst through Kane's helmet.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:44 pm 
Singularity ∞

Eh.

But more importantly, it was just one of many examples I could have used. It just happened to be the first that sprang to mind.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:57 pm 

The only one I remember is running away from the giant ring/ship/whatever it was at the end. Like yo, lady, just veer left.

Also woman wearing helmet, it being windy out, and her hair blowing around like she wasn't wearing a helmet. Uh?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:22 pm 
Singularity ∞

The team has amazing mapping drones, but plunges into the caverns instead of, you know, mapping them first.

Map expert geologist guy then makes a map of the caverns then immediately gets lost in them.

Biology guy doesn't just stick his face in the vagina plant, he tries to touch it. No biologist in their right mind would do something so amazingly stupid. Is this guy one of the elite experts in his field or Steve frickin' Irwin?

Scientist people take off their helmets in the cavern. While on an unknown alien world. That they just landed on. Come on, people.

Hey, our dead buddy is at the door! How weird is that? Better open the door for him!

Ugh.

I loved all the mythology of the movie, I loved the ideas and concepts, I loved the visuals and atmosphere, Fassbender was goddamn amazing, I loved so much of what was here, but the shit characters have prevented me from returning to it.

Maybe I'll watch it tonight.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:42 am 
HMFIC

Shoe wrote:
The team has amazing mapping drones, but plunges into the caverns instead of, you know, mapping them first.

The mechanics of the drones and how they need to be used isn't explained; they're just deployed matter-of-factly. Didn't bother me.

Shoe wrote:
Map expert geologist guy then makes a map of the caverns then immediately gets lost in them.

That, legitimately, bothered me. Seemed ridiculous that they got lost. Maybe could've been explained by some kind of communications issue, but it wasn't, and that approach would've been complicated by the fact that the rest of the crew was able to get back fine. Haven't watched the deleted scenes; did any try to address this?

Shoe wrote:
Biology guy doesn't just stick his face in the vagina plant, he tries to touch it. No biologist in their right mind would do something so amazingly stupid. Is this guy one of the elite experts in his field or Steve frickin' Irwin?

So... your contention is that no biologist would touch a plant. With a gloved hand.

Shoe wrote:
Scientist people take off their helmets in the cavern. While on an unknown alien world. That they just landed on. Come on, people.

This, too, seemed stupid. And I think they wanted to do it to establish that there's functioning life support in the cavern/ship, and they tried to build up the one guy as the sort of rash person that'd do something like that (and have everybody else comment on his rashness as he was doing it), but I agree that someone that rash probably wouldn't have lived long enough to get on the spaceship and fly to another planet. That's the sort of "Hey y'all watch this!" person who dies as a teenager in an attempt to jump his skateboard off a roof.

Shoe wrote:
Hey, our dead buddy is at the door! How weird is that? Better open the door for him!

Well, at that point he really did appear to be dead. They might have been more cautious if he'd been moving before they opened the door.

Shoe wrote:
Ugh.

I loved all the mythology of the movie, I loved the ideas and concepts, I loved the visuals and atmosphere, Fassbender was goddamn amazing, I loved so much of what was here, but the shit characters have prevented me from returning to it.

I'd recommend it. I think you might have a different perspective. Some of your complaints sound to me like you might have been caught up in criticizing the movie because other people were and taken umbrage at things that weren't as bad as they seemed at the time.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:53 am 
Pollution Baby

There were many dumb things in Prometheus that did take many people out of the film while watching it for the first time, with no coaching or influence from other people. Many of those people normally have no issue with suspension of disbelief.

It is a text book example of what not to do in a science fiction film. I expected a giant shark to pass through the walls and start eating red shirts while the hero punched them in the face.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:23 am 
HMFIC

Your mileage may vary, of course, but the only ones that really bugged me were that they all took off their helmets (which I was willing to sort of forgive, since the script clearly wanted it to happen and tried to justify it) and Scooby and Shaggy getting lost. Wasn't until I'd seen the movie and read this thread that I heard all the things you guys felt were unexplained and bothersome, and I thought that a number of them WERE explained.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:34 am 
Singularity ∞

Eric wrote:
Shoe wrote:

So... your contention is that no biologist would touch a plant. With a gloved hand.

Correct, I cannot believe for a moment that any legitimate scientist who actually specializes in the field is going to lay hands on this thing without some further study first, especially not after it rose up like a snake:

No, not even with a gloved hand.

Space truckers? Sure, I can buy that. Real people do really stupid things. But the premise here is rooted in the idea that this was a science expedition, so I expect at least some semblance of pretend science.

Eric wrote:
Shoe wrote:
Ugh.

I'd recommend it. I think you might have a different perspective. Some of your complaints sound to me like you might have been caught up in criticizing the movie because other people were and taken umbrage at things that weren't as bad as they seemed at the time.

Believe it or not, I'm perfectly capable of watching and criticizing a film all on my very own. I can even tie my own shoes!

(I apologize for being punchy there, I just find that a little insulting. Unintentionally, I know, so no worries. We all good.)

I'd read no criticism or reviews of the movie before seeing it because I didn't want spoilers and initially wasn't that into the idea at first. That's pretty typical. I don't usually read reviews until after I've seen a movie.

In the case of Prometheus, I literally posted to this thread just minutes after watching it, then went back and read what people had to say.

My initial gut reaction is right there:

"I probably would have liked it if the characters hadn't been so painfully stupid. It starts off promising enough, but when they start poking their fingers in random alien goo and taking off helmets and pressing random buttons and trying to pet alien vagina snakes I just wanted to throw the remote at the TV. This wasn't a team of scientists, it was a group of teenagers camping by the lake in Friday the 13th."

All that shit just yanked me right out of the movie.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:39 am 
HMFIC

Wasn't intentional, but yeah, a lot of this thread read to me (after I'd watched the movie more or less cold) as if people were ganging up on it because other people were. Might not have been that way, but reading through it long after the fact, that's how it hit me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:45 am 
Singularity ∞

I totally get that.

I'm not much for ganging up on a movie just because everyone else is. X-Men: The Last Stand, quick example. The fanboy community pounds the shit out of that one and considers it a near franchise ruiner.

I think they're nuts.

Or hell, to keep it on topic, Alien 3. I'll always defend that movie (specifically the alternate cut), even though the world seems to hate it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:49 am 
HMFIC

Yeah, but it happens. And sometimes, it happens not so much on purpose but because you hear other people's complaints and are primed to be bothered by them. If you watched this cold, that wasn't the case here, but it's not uncommon.

I wouldn't expect anybody on this board to gang up on a movie because the Internet says they should. But it's hard not to have other people's criticisms in mind if you've heard them before watching a movie, and that's how this thread read to me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:37 am 

Eric wrote:
Yeah, but it happens. And sometimes, it happens not so much on purpose but because you hear other people's complaints and are primed to be bothered by them. If you watched this cold, that wasn't the case here, but it's not uncommon.

This is precisely the reason I stopped watching trailers entirely about four years ago...it's just gotten to the point where everyone's opinion of a movie is set in stone before the fucking thing even comes OUT. I don't follow pre-release hype, I don't scour the movie sites looking for "surprise" cameos and rumors about how a project is suffering and that "the suits" have stepped in and ruined the director's "original vision" (remember the "They've re-shot half of Rogue One!!!" panic this last summer? Didn't hurt the final movie's quality OR box office one iota), I just go in and try to let the movie happen. How many people just look at Rotten Tomatoes, and base their decisions completely on that? "Oh, the last X-men movie got 85%, but the new one got 62%, so it's shit!" I've lost track of the number of RT-savaged movies that I've genuinely enjoyed (hell, Gods Of Egypt was an absolute hoot, provided you don't take it too seriously). In a proper world, you'd be able to see a movie with as little pre-release baggage as possible and your opinion would be completely your own, but nowadays, you're ALWAYS funneling your reaction through what everyone else thinks. It's what critic Owen Gleiberman (in his terrific recent book Movie Freak: My Life Watching Movies) referred to as "Media Mike"...if your opinion is even slightly out of sync with what everyone else is thinking, no one takes you seriously. Despite all of the ill-advised character decisions in Prometheus (and some are truly dumb), I still found myself fairly engrossed by it, and people who can't see ANY merit in the movie whatsoever are just piling on because everyone else is, and everyone like to top each other's "witty" insults.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:58 am 
Black Hole

I don't like it when Shoe gets angry: It makes me very anxious.

Typically when I get anxious about Shoe's anger, I have to watch him silently eat pizza for 10 minutes.

It calms down my anxiety and it helps me think Shoe is not always like an angered god.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:28 am 
HMFIC

Attachment:
AngryGod.jpg
AngryGod.jpg [ 116.25 KiB | Viewed 4560 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:31 am 
Singularity ∞

I haven't seen an Eric Photoshop in a long time. In a long time.

:thumbs:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:56 pm 
Canyon

Jesus, this shit again!!???

I can't. I just can't.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:52 am 
Singularity ∞

You can do anything if you set your mind to it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:37 pm 

Just remember to eat a good meal first...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:57 pm 

Just rewatched. It was fine. Some characters are stupid. I appreciate the aesthetic of the film, and it ends on New Years Day. What a coincidence!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:59 am 
Black Hole

Eric wrote:
AngryGod.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I really needed a good laugh today, thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:38 am 
Singularity ∞

Watched Prometheus again last night.

Yeah, no, it stinks.

There was more dumb shit than I remembered.

The guy who MADE the maps couldn't access them? What?

What the hell was that zombie scene even doing there? Why? What the hell was that about?

Here's a big one that I missed first time around: Main doctor chick is down for the county after being exposed. She has a fetus inside her that she wants out. Her two colleagues show up to look her over and she beats the shit out of them with a blunt object and escape. Okay, fine, right?

Then they never go after her or look for her. That whole assault is just forgotten. In fact, one of the people she clubbed ends up ON A MISSION WITH HER just five minutes later. Sloppy as hell.

Her little alien fetus went from the size of a bass fish to 12-feet tall with 15-foot tentacles and all the rest while in a barren chamber. I know it seems nitpicky, but shit don't work like that. Where'd all that mass come from? Screw off.

There was lots of other nitpicky stuff to poke at, stuff you wouldn't mind in a better movie, but man, so much shit annoyed me here.

I will say this: it's a gorgeous movie. Just gorgeous. It was worth rewatching for the visuals alone.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:44 pm 

Shoe wrote:
Her little alien fetus went from the size of a bass fish to 12-feet tall with 15-foot tentacles and all the rest while in a barren chamber. I know it seems nitpicky, but shit don't work like that. Where'd all that mass come from? Screw off.

How is this different from the original movie, when the chestburster grows to human-sized in what seems to be only a few hours after eating...what, exactly?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:02 pm 
Pollution Baby

Monterey Jack wrote:
Shoe wrote:

How is this different from the original movie, when the chestburster grows to human-sized in what seems to be only a few hours after eating...what, exactly?
Well, in the original it was near the mess hall, but ya, in a few hours it does grow to about full size.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:16 pm 
Singularity ∞

Monterey Jack wrote:
Shoe wrote:

The scale is far, far different - the "final form" in Prometheus is at least five times larger than the xenomorph -- and the chestburster was actually loose in the ship rather than in a little contained med pod. You can handwave away the alien growth by saying it had access to all sorts of shit on the ship, off camera, to facilitate its rapid growth. The fetus from Prometheus was in a glass box. No handwaving possible.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:48 pm 

You have to take into account that the alien viruses were created as pure, biological warfare devices, probably bred to grow as big as possible, as fast as possible. We're talking science fiction, here.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:50 pm 

Nah, the xenomorph scale is the least problematic issue with Prometheus. They grow big that fast in every Alien movie, including the AvP films.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next