It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:15 pm 

Oof. I guess that means I don't get a 3rd.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:01 pm 

And after that, the remake of the '79 movie. I'll still happen. Fox bet the farm on this, instead of just cranking out stories about an alien.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:37 pm 

Spoiler: show
Still amazes me that Scott put so much effort into delving into the origins of the aliens, and basically said, "Fuck it" halfway through Covenant and carpet-bombed the home planet of the Engineers before anyone even set foot on the surface. Say what you will about the Star Wars prequels, but at least the story of how Anakin Skywalker became Darth Vader was spread out over three movies. That was the WHOLE POINT of going back and making those movies.

The Alien franchise has always been an odd duck, anyways...aside from the Terminator movies, can you name a movie series with such GIANT gaps in time between installments? And the Alien films have always seemed to skip genres and overall tone with each installment. That's what's so disappointing about Covenant...all it is is a more slick rehash of the first damn movie, from the same damn director. Considering Scott is almost eighty, what was it that really enticed him to return to this series, aside from a paycheck? Any grander aspersions that Prometheus had were rendered moot by idiots whining that it wasn't a rehash of the familiar "monster jumping out of the dark" formula, so now here's the movie that apparently everyone wanted in the first place...and -- surprise! -- it's tanking like a motherfucker at the box office. Should have just let Scott do what he wanted...it might have been flawed, but it would have been more interesting than this.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:20 pm 
Singularity ∞

Monterey Jack wrote:
Any grander aspersions that Prometheus had were rendered moot by idiots whining that it wasn't a rehash of the familiar "monster jumping out of the dark" formula

And yet that's not at all what the majority of people complained about, so ...

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:23 pm 

You know, I've had this movie spoiled to death for me, so I pretty much get what it's about...and I'd just like to point out that I nailed the David-doing-what-he-does thing, 5 minutes into watching Prometheus. My reasoning was that he had watched Alien (or, hell, all of them), and got his ideas from that experience. I still think that would have been hilarious (and, let's face it, couldn't have been worse than the real plot elements of these two movies).

Anyway, I was planning on going to see it tonight, but now it looks like I won't catch it until later this week. Assuming it's still in theatres...

In a parallel universe, Fox has finally greenlit the Vincent Ward Alien 3 script. I'd pay big bucks to see that.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:18 pm 

Is that the wooden satellite in space story?

Or Ripley in New York City?

Or the Blade Runner rip off?

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:01 pm 

The wooden monastery in space. Totally doable with today's visual effects capabilities. I genuinely enjoyed that script.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:41 pm 

I haven't read it, I'll check it out if I find myself bored or stuck somewhere.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:48 pm 

Well, there's an Alien film I will never watch again. As much shit as Alien 4 and the AvP films get, this (and Prometheus) are so much worse. There is no defending the went-full-retard sequence at the 1 hour 24 minute mark.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:41 am 

Chris Knight wrote:
Well, there's an Alien film I will never watch again. As much shit as Alien 4 and the AvP films get, this (and Prometheus) are so much worse. There is no defending the went-full-retard sequence at the 1 hour 24 minute mark.

Is that the deal with the crane, or the quarantine scene? It's been a while.

But you're quite wrong, AVP 2 is unwatchable.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:38 am 

AVP 2 is a teen slasher film with aliens and predators. It's bonkers, and tons of fun to watch with a group of people. The opening sequence with the kid is fantastic.

The scene from Covenant I'm referring to is when David starts conducting an orchestra, and the Alien mimics him.

There's so much wrong with the film, but the biggest issue is that it is utterly boring.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:29 pm 

I like the prometheus music, I was happy to hear it more.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:55 am 
Singularity ∞

brian wrote:
Seriously, none of you have seen this besides Monty and I? :( I want to hear complaining.

I finally watched it last night.

It wasn't bad, but it was boring. Started to make a post about it but got on a roll, so I dropped it on my blog instead:

http://ericsanjuan.com/alien-covenant-c ... ts-boring/

This is a watch once and forget it exercise in mediocrity. Pure formula, and the formula isn't executed in an interesting way.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:58 am 
Singularity ∞

Chris Knight wrote:
AVP 2 is a teen slasher film with aliens and predators. It's bonkers, and tons of fun to watch with a group
There's so much wrong with the film, but the biggest issue is that it is utterly boring.

HEH! Funny, I'm going back to scan the thread after writing up my post above, and "boring" exactly sums up my feelings on it. It's not an awful movie, it's just ... there.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:15 pm 

Prometheus is like a top 5 film of all time so obviously I was excited for the sequel but holy shit it was terrible. I love all the Alien films, one of my favorite franchises but this film was just angering to watch. If you thought the characters in Prometheus were really dumb then you will really hate these characters. So disappointed right now.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:02 pm 
Black Hole

Covenant :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole: :nohole:

It is good.

The shots are really nice eye candy for the most part and have that Ridley look.

I think for me what helped was just assuming everyone with a brain died at the beginning (at least, most of the A-lister people).

There were plenty of harsh deaths and although some of them died "conveniently" the graphic nature of each death was worthy of watching.

I definitely would watch another movie in the series if only to see what demented shit David is going to do next.

:thumbs:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:42 pm 
Singularity ∞

Pender wrote:
I think for me what helped was just assuming everyone with a brain died at the beginning

There is a deleted scene in which the entire cast is infected with a parasitic brainworm that saps all reasoning skills.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:50 am 

I wanted James Franco to not be dead.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9