It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Purge
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:34 pm 

I know there are quite a few horror fans here. Am I the only one who has no interest whatsoever in seeing The Purge?

I'm not a huge fan of the "man is the monster" genre in the first place but there have been so many home invasion horror movies recently (and at least a couple more to come this year) that I feel like this has already been played out. The alternative history aspect of this one aside, there seems to be nothing new here at all.

Is there anyone here who is actually excited about seeing it?

Post subject: Re: The Purge
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:55 pm 
Pollution Baby

I was when I saw the first trailers, but reading some reviews, and seeing newer trailers, no, not really.

The concept of a dystopian America where that premise is played out could be interesting, but it looks like it's just a back drop for some played out horror cliches to run amok in.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:57 pm 

I'm with you, completely. This looks like a giant steaming pile (and the 1 1/2 star Boston Globe review of it this morning did nothing to dispel that opinion). Just seeing the trailer, I thought "If everything is legal for these 12 hours then why he fuck is everyone wearing a mask?"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:01 pm 

Looks like Death Race 2000, without the cars.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:06 pm 
Pollution Baby

Kimfair wrote:
...Just seeing the trailer, I thought "If everything is legal for these 12 hours then why he fuck is everyone wearing a mask?"
I can give that a pass with 1 being a scare factor and 2 so the neighbors don't know what they did. Which brings up what could be an interesting idea to pursue. If things are legal, it still doesn't remove the social stigma, and how would the social stigma be effected. That could be a very interesting dichotomy, but I don't think the film gets that 'deep'.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:54 pm 

Ericubus wrote:
That could be a very interesting dichotomy, but I don't think the film gets that 'deep'.

Just the trailers alone gave me the feeling that this wasn't going to be anywhere close to deep. There's a ton of potential in the concept though. I kept seeing this trailer paired with another (Animals or something) that also featured a family trapped in a house near the woods and people in animal masks killing them off. The two movies looked so similar that it really diluted the dystopian America thing and made it pretty obvious that this was Funny Games all over again.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:04 pm 
Singularity ∞

I love the concept, but it's clear the movie isn't going to do much thoughtful with it. It's just a hook to have a creepy home invasion movie.

Because I love dystopias I'll watch it ... but not until a DVD rip is leaked six months from now. I'm not interested enough to go out of my way for it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:37 pm 

I'm going to see it on Saturday night.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:46 pm 
Singularity ∞

You whore!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:08 pm 

Thoughtful movies are for assholes. Give me blood, guts, tits, jump scares and a sub-90 minute running time or gtfo.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:53 pm 

Cru wrote:
Thoughtful movies are for assholes. Give me blood, guts, tits, jump scares and a sub-90 minute running time or gtfo.

I feel the same way at times, but I bet this movie's only going to satisfy maybe one of those things. Two at the most.

This has Redbox Rental written all over it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:56 pm 
Singularity ∞

Cru wrote:

People who think that are assholes.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:58 pm 

Movies should either be 3-hour long epics that move at a snail's pace, or a Neveldine/Taylor joint and nothing in between.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:52 pm 

So, Cru. How was it?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:28 pm 

It's fuckin' terrible.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:13 pm 
Pollution Baby

Cru wrote:
It's fuckin' terrible.

How so, terrible?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:19 pm 

I’ll preface my comments by saying that I think the pre-emptive “wastes its premise” critique is a red herring. Hollywood pretty much does not make movies at the budget level that’s required to truly explore a fascinating premise. They’re either so low budget that they can only use the premise as a hook on which to hang some low rent genre tropes, or they’re so big budget that every element is focus tested to death to ensure that earning potential is maximized. In one instance, there's not enough money to do anything substantial, in the other too much money is on the line to take any serious risks. Even Inception, one of the smartest sci-fi movies in recent memory, only explores its premise enough to facilitate a climax full of Matrix-like fistfights and an arctic assault scene cribbed from On Her Majesty’s Secret Service. You want thoughtful sci-fi? Read a book. The Purge is a little, $3 million movie that uses its fascinating premise as window dressing for what’s essentially a one room play, a standard stalk-n-slash thriller. I knew going in that that was the level that The Purge was operating on.

Problem is that even on that lowball level, it fails miserably.

It doesn’t just fail to explore the central conceit, it fails to provide the viewer with basic information we need to know. For instance, a broadcast explains the rules of The Purge: that only class 4 or lower weapons and class 10 or higher government employees are off limits. But it doesn’t explain what constitutes a class 4 weapon or a class 10 civil servant, or how such rules will be enforced during a time of total lawlessness. Even beyond that, the cat-and-mouse antics are surprisingly suspenseless and dull; they don’t work as thriller or as action. The gore is pedestrian, the look of the film is off the shelf, and the plot requires characters to do the stupidest fucking things at the worst possible time. The film goes out of its way to establish that the homeless man whose admittance into the house kicks the main plot into motion is a war vet, yet he’s never called on to help defend the family’s home. He’s not even given a name; he’s literally just an excuse for the thugs to besiege the house. Suspension of disbelief is out the fucking window before the bad guys have even managed to break into the main family’s home.

That’s to say nothing of the pandering leader of the group of thugs who nearly breaks the fourth wall as he practically shouts WE ARE RACISTS and THIS MOVIE IS ABOUT CLASSISM at the audience. Seriously, he shouts things like: “The lower class exists only to serve the needs of the upper class!” Paraphrased, but pretty damn close. It’s obvious the filmmakers were trying to emulate Michael Pitt in Funny Games, but this clown has none of the same intensity or slimy menace. His idea of crafting a character is shouting his ridiculous dialogue into the camera.

About the only good thing I can say about The Purge is that I enjoyed Adelaide Kane and her ridiculously sexualized school girl uniform (I can only assume her character’s in stripper college), but her total screen time is maybe fifteen minutes and it’s not worth wading through the rest of the movie to get to her scenes, since her purpose is to do the aforementioned stupidest fucking things at the worst possible time.

Seriously, this movie sucks. Easily one of the worst new movies I've seen this year.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:20 am 
Singularity ∞

Fantastic review, Cru. Goddamn good stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:34 am 
Pollution Baby

Agreed, thanks, Cru. I won't waste my time on it, even on cable.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:07 am 

Thanks, Cru. I probably wouldn't have watched it anyway but this seals the deal.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:53 pm 

caryc wrote:
Thanks, Cru. I probably wouldn't have watched it anyway but this seals the deal.

Ditto.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:10 am 

Cru knows.

It would have been better if there was no fast food for year. Ronald McDonald sneaking into your house with cheeseburgers and then vanishing before you can get a bite.

Real terror.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:06 am 

:hole1: :hole1: :half: :nohole: :nohole:

This was pretty weak. Such an intriguing concept, devolving into a rote home invasion thriller that isn't especially tense or creative. You're Next was far better....at least it didn't have pretentions about being a "cautionary" bit of near-future sci-fi with a laughably obvious message. What happened to Ethan Hawke, anyways? It seems like he only appears in grindhouse B-movie fare like this, the shitty Assault On Precinct 13 remake, or Daybreakers (which I did like), or else once-a-decade Before [Time Of Day] sequels. Nothing else.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:09 pm 

The Purge was one of the worst fucking movies of all time but the trailer for the sequel looks like the movie the ads for the first one promised but was never delivered.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:46 pm 

Cru wrote:
The Purge was one of the worst fucking movies of all time but the trailer for the sequel looks like the movie the ads for the first one promised but was never delivered.

That would be nice...the idea of The Purge was intriguing, but the execution was sorely lacking.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:35 pm 

Monterey Jack wrote:
Cru wrote:

That would be nice...the idea of The Purge was intriguing, but the execution was sorely lacking.

...well, those hopes were certainly dashed.

The Purge: Anarchy: :hole1: :half: :nohole: :nohole: :nohole:

This is even worse than the original. The first was lame, but at least held promise that, somewhere out beyond the limited confines of its dankly-lit home invasion plot, there was a far more vivid and exciting depiction of a decadent society run amok in the streets. But the minuscule budget means that, even though it takes place "outside" in "the big city", there are apparently only seventy-five people living there. And the attempts at "cautionary" social satire fall even flatter than before, with the 1% ruling class depicted as stereotypically snooty, pinky-raising, why-I-never! blue-hairs right out of an 80's campus comedy. And, again, the logic of this concept makes less sense the more it tries to explain itself...murderous rage simple doesn't shut itself off like a faucet when you sound an alarm, so the idea that people will simply drop their firearms and machetes and walk away to resume their workaday existence after a merry night's wallow in murder and rape is hard to swallow (plus, wouldn't any financial gain from "purging" the lower-class citizens be rendered null and void by the BILLIONS in collateral damage left in their wake?). I'm not a huge fan of Escape From New York, but credit John Carpenter for stretching his meager budget and making a film that created a far more vivid depiction of urban squalor and desolation nearly thirty-five years ago. This is strictly for bored teenagers who have never seen a movie made after the year 1999 and who find all of the would-be ideas brought up by these movies to be, like, totally deep.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:39 pm 
Canyon

Monterey Jack wrote:
I'm not a huge fan of Escape From New York, but credit John Carpenter for stretching his meager budget and making a film that created a far more vivid depiction of urban squalor and desolation nearly thirty-five years ago.

He was also VERY lucky in that he had access to a section of St.Louis that had recently been victim to a massive fire. A ready-made apocalyptic city cuts WAY down on your budget.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:51 pm 

Downhuman wrote:
Monterey Jack wrote:
I'm not a huge fan of Escape From New York, but credit John Carpenter for stretching his meager budget and making a film that created a far more vivid depiction of urban squalor and desolation nearly thirty-five years ago.

He was also VERY lucky in that he had access to a section of St.Louis that had recently been victim to a massive fire. A ready-made apocalyptic city cuts WAY down on your budget.

Watching Anarchy, it was bizarre...the characters wandering through streets that are not only virtually deserted, but completely free of the kinds of debris you'd think would be all over the place during a government-sanctioned murder spree. No burning cars (except for one of two token setpieces), very few dead bodies, hardly even any litter. There's one scene where we see a flaming fire truck (irony...!) careening through an intersection...half-out-of-focus in the background of a shot. Again, the movie probably cost a buck-ninety-eight to produce, but look at another modestly-budgeted urban hell film like Dredd, and even though that was mostly confined to a single tenement building, you could practically smell the rotting plaster and urine-soaked corners. Anarchy is so antiseptic you feel like you could eat off the street surfaces. I guess the filmmakers were more concerned in sculpting "scary" masks for the characters (which make ZERO SENSE considering that all of this illegal activity the populace is wallowing in is 100% legal) than widening the scope of the proceedings and making it look like it was shot over more than a three-block radius.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:55 pm 
Canyon

By the way, I hated these movies. And I ended up being subjected to both in less than a 24 hour period this summer while visiting family.

The idea that we'll all immediately resort to just murdering the shit out of each other because someone says it's OK is just moronic beyond belief -- it's called the social contract, motherfuckers. And it exists no matter what some idiotic despotic government tries to inflict on us. And I also hate that this movie just ignores the fact that 98 percent of all people just don't have it in them to kill another human being -- but I guess we're supposed to believe that most people just sit around fantasizing about different ways of murdering people in their spare time.

Also, is murder the only crime people can think of during 12 hours of enforced lawlessness? These movies were written by a 12 year-old.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:38 pm 

Downhuman wrote:
Also, is murder the only crime people can think of during 12 hours of enforced lawlessness? These movies were written by a 12 year-old.

Pretty much. No street racing, prostitution, bank robbery, looting or wild cocaine parties. Nope, the moment nobody's looking over our shoulders we're all going to revert to becoming Jason Voorhees. Christ. How infantile can you get?

I think I liked Purge 2 a bit more than the first one but that still only rates it an F+, at best.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:21 pm 
Canyon

Cru wrote:
I think I liked Purge 2 a bit more than the first one but that still only rates it an F+, at best.

I'd give the nod to the second one as well if only because it kind of acknowledges that the central premise doesn't really hold up. Still poorly executed, though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:36 am 

Who's all amped up for part three...? :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:30 pm 

The Rick and Morty purge episode was good.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:42 pm 

brian wrote:
The Rick and Morty purge episode was good.

"Head's up, rapists."
That episode has so many quotable lines.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:13 pm 

Monterey Jack wrote:
Who's all amped up for part three...? :roll:

:hole1: :half: :nohole: :nohole: :nohole:

It sucked (big surprise). Even stuff like basic shot-to-shot continuity is shockingly lax in this...Elizabeth Mitchell is strapped to a gurney and gagged at the climax, eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil senator Raymond J. Barry (how dispiriting to see a great, distinguished character actor reduced to spitting out the word "Cunt" in his first line of dialogue) walks around her to slash her throat, and Mitchell suddenly loses the gag in one shot, and it's back in the next. This is soap opera-level sloppy. And another scene features a character making the statement "He's dead" about another character...and we see the "dead" actor's eyes obviously move right before the shot cuts away. And it remains hilarious to me how myopic and petty everyone's murder agendas get, like the teenage girl (introduced in a fetishistic schoolgirl outfit, of course) who tries shoplifting from Mykelti Williamson's corner store the day before the Purge, then comes back the next night in a blinged-out car covered with meticulously art-directed Christmas lights(?!), humorously bellowing about how she killed her parents, and now wants "MAH MOTHERFUCKIN' CANDY BAR!" Seriously? Is the few fleeting moments of mean pleasure derived from patricide and matricide worth being an ORPHAN over? Good luck putting yourself through college, kid.

At least this one seems to actually end the series, but then again how many times did Freddy and Jason come back after their "final" installments?