It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:52 am 
Pollution Baby

Shoe wrote:
Agree on all counts, and then some. This movie is a mess. Very pretty at times, but a mess.

YA!
And I agree with the character development you mentioned. It was implied, but never really executed.

a couple more...
Spoiler: show
  • Batman mentions to Alfred about there probably being more superhuman types coming, at that time more aliens, so . . . the one guy that is also superhuman, and probably a good guy, the only one that could help defend Earth and humans against this possible future threat, lets kill him. Good idea, lets do that.
  • You mean, you have a mom . . too . . just like me? HUGS!

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:47 am 
Pollution Baby

I think this guy agrees with you, Shoe, and has a very creative use of the term Urinal Cake...

Not really a spoiler, just hidden for size
Quote:
Long-Awaited "Batman V Superman" Is A Monument To Failure

Most films should be so lucky as “Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice,” a production that enjoyed the benefits of the world’s finest creative, financial, and technical resources, in addition to having an extraordinarily gifted filmmaker on set every day. But since “Argo” director Ben Affleck was busy playing Bruce Wayne, helming duties fell to Zack Snyder.

Whoops.

Whatever thing has made it to multiplexes under the title “Batman V Superman” – movie is too strong a word – is an end-to-end fiasco, bringing with it a murderous Batman, a mopey Superman, a Jolly Rancher-sucking Lex Luthor, and a minefield of concurrently dull and tasteless narrative beats that don’t so much comprise a story as stand in for one.

Credit where credit is due: the 150-minute film is boldly, inventively worthless.

After a title sequence that needlessly rehashes the death of Bruce Wayne’s parents, the picture opens on the climactic brawl between Superman and General Zod that concluded Snyder’s insipid “Man Of Steel.” Only this time, we see it from the Dark Knight’s point of view.

As a bristling Bruce watches Kal-El fling himself through skyscraper after skyscraper – inevitably maiming thousands – the film peaks.

Not only is Bruce watching the scene with the correct amount of disdain (it’s a bad sequence from a bad movie with no regard for its source material), Affleck looks like Bruce Wayne, bringing with him, however briefly, the hope of a worthy successor to Christian Bale’s take on the Caped Crusader.

But just as quickly, reality seeps down like a freshly cracked egg to the forehead.

We’re in the hands of a director who’s made a career of annexing and diluting beloved properties, and a writer, David Goyer, who shouldn’t be penning grocery lists much less screenplays to $250 million movies. From “Blade: Trinity” to “Man Of Steel” his filmography reads like an obituary, his contributions to Christopher Nolan’s Batman trilogy unmistakably smoothed over by co-writer Jonathan Nolan.

For most of its opening 90 minutes, “Batman V Superman” is an abyss of primitive political commentary, meandering subplots that hastily set up Warner Bros.’ forthcoming “Justice League” movie, and a notable lack of action sequences. Many viewers will find themselves stunned by the interminable chattiness of it all – at least until the mean-spirited bombast of the final hour kicks in and the tedium of acts I and II becomes a fond memory.

Henry Cavill’s second go-round as Clark Kent / Superman once again establishes that the actor is not cut from leading man cloth. While he’s not to blame for the inexplicable one-dimensionality of his character, he doesn’t bring so much as a speck of charisma, reducing Supes to sad man in a spandex suit. Alternatively, Affleck might make for a terrific Caped Crusader and Jeremy Irons a fine Alfred, but who would know amidst such uninviting nonsense?

Conversely, Amy Adams’ Lois Lane is easy to pin down. She’s limited to imparting would-be exposition that neither characters nor the audience require. It’s a nothing role that’s sets the stage for the movie’s other female character whose presence boils down to name recognition.

See Wonder Woman, played by Gal Gadot. Armed with a costume, sword, hilariously overwrought musical theme, and dubious acting skills, she’s in the movie for no other reason than to let us know that she has her own movie coming out in 2017. Goyer and star-crossed co-writer Chris Terrio (“Argo”) tell us absolutely nothing about her or the other impending Justice League members, most of whom briefly appear via security cam footage. (Points for Aquaman’s stone-faced cameo though, which is nearly devastating in its hilarity.)

Mysteriously, it’s Lex Luthor (played by a tragically miscast Jesse Eisenberg) who’s the film’s lone connective string – and a gleaming symbol of all its failings.

As Luthor pits the Bat-vigilante against the all-powerful alien from Krypton, Eisenberg’s weaselly, gestural performance is at once out of step with everything around him and entirely in tune with his director’s disdain for the material.

Luthor’s motivations here are born purely of hate, which isn’t just untrue to the character’s history but offers the worst possible foundation for a movie that ultimately looks to be about team building. Nearly every character here dislikes one another, in turn making us dislike them tenfold.

The vitriol is an issue as deep-seated as a movie can have, resulting in something more than tone deafness: tonelessness. Nothing means anything in “Batman V Superman,” with multiple dream sequences existing merely to mix up the color palette and provide some money shots for the ad campaign. As the story ping pongs between scenes that are both internally and externally disconnected, Snyder gradually unmasks his magnum opus: a sizzle reel with no sizzle.

When the title fight finally goes down, it’s less fireworks display, more cannonball to the testicles. Never mind that Bats and Supes don’t have any good reason to be fighting, or that Gotham and Metropolis are conveniently located next door to each other, or that the scuffle’s resolution is something out of a soon-to-be-canceled soap opera, it’s little more than loud noises and flying fists – a predictably angsty scuffle that’s sure to end in a draw.

The monotony of the first hour and change is nothing compared to the white noise machine that begins with a suicide bombing (doing a huge disservice to actress Holly Hunter) and ends with a wildly derivative battle between our “heroes” and a giant monster who’s not even hinted at until he shows up on screen.

Snyder and company then spend twenty endless minutes trying to convince us that one of their main characters is dead when of course he or she isn’t.

Moviegoers looking for Batman, the detective-vigilante with no superpowers, or Superman, embodiment of “Truth, justice, and the American way,” should look somewhere else. Anywhere else these character have appeared. “Batman V Superman” is the un-event movie of the year, a momentum-less ode to uncreative people everywhere that torches two of pop culture’s greatest characters and uses their ashes as its own personal urinal cake.

-J. Olson

Rating: ★ out of ★★★★★ (Very Bad)

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:56 pm 

Ericubus wrote:
Nitpicky spoilery shit...
[*]Lex apparently hated Superman because of the threat he posses, or that he is jealous of his power, or whatever, it's not always clear, but he does want him dead, and then goes on to create a creature more powerful than Superman that he could not hope to control. Makes perfect sense...[/list]

I think he just wanted to show that you can't be all good or all powerful. Not all good - Batman dies, Not all Powerful - Superman dies.

Kind of a petty way of going about it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:30 pm 

Batman V Superman Ultimate 56 hour cut* is way better guys.

I mean, look, I enjoyed the theatrical cut, but it was choppy. The director cut actually felt like a Man of Steel sequel, rather than "Batman is angry about 9/11, guest starring Superman"

I dug it. Maybe a few of you will too.

*Movie is actually not 56 hours long, it is 3 hours.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:45 pm 
Black Hole

brian wrote:

I mean, look, I enjoyed the theatrical cut, but it was choppy. The director cut actually felt like a Man of Steel sequel, rather than "Batman is angry about 9/11, guest starring Superman"

Send me a copy and I will tell you my thoughts.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:55 pm 

Pender wrote:
brian wrote:

Send me a USB drive in a pre-paid envelope.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:19 pm 
HMFIC

Just saw the regular-length one.

It sucked.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:09 pm 

Eric wrote:
Just saw the regular-length one.

WHY DID YOU DO THAT!?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:53 am 
HMFIC

Get it over quickly.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:08 am 
Pollution Baby

3 hours, damn. I'll have to schedule this in.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:49 am 
Black Hole

brian wrote:
Pender wrote:
brian wrote:

Send me a USB drive in a pre-paid envelope.

Size requirements?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:01 am 

Does this new cut remove Jesse Eisenberg entirely?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:53 am 
Black Hole

PS Store has the extended cut for like $20.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:52 pm 

There are Wonder Woman and Justice League trailers out now.

Wonder Woman looks fun though kind of annoying how much Steve Trevor was featured in the trailer.

Justice League looks like "Well, we have some dialogue in the can, let's show Comic Con people something."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:27 pm 

Wonder Woman looks amazing, but it has Chris Pine in it - and he's a boring-as-shit franchise killer.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:32 am 

I finally saw Batman vs. Superman the directors cut. I never saw the theatrical. It was okay but damn long. The moment Batman decides to spare Superman is pretty stupid, I have to agree. Still, the overall story made sense which a lot of people told me was not the case in the theater.

Haven't seen the Wonder Woman trailer yet, but did see the Justice League one. They're really trying for an Avengers feel. That scene with Bruce Wayne and The Flash felt like a direct rip-off of the Tony Stark/Peter Parker scene in Age of Ultron. Still, it looks better than what's come along so far.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:51 am 
Pollution Baby

caryc wrote:
...That scene with Bruce Wayne and The Flash felt like a direct rip-off of the Tony Stark/Peter Parker scene in Age of Ultron...

NERD CORRECTION:
That would be in Captain America Civil War scene

P.S. I completely agree, looks cut and pasted.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:53 am 
Pollution Baby

I have yet to sit through the extended version to compare, have seen the theatrical. I have no want or desire to either, really.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:52 pm 

Ericubus wrote:
caryc wrote:
...That scene with Bruce Wayne and The Flash felt like a direct rip-off of the Tony Stark/Peter Parker scene in Age of Ultron...

NERD CORRECTION:
That would be in Captain America Civil War scene

P.S. I completely agree, looks cut and pasted.

You are correct and I completely mixed the two up. Basically, I think of Civil War as an Avengers movie (not that this is correct... that's just how my brain's sorted it).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:57 pm 

Ericubus wrote:
I have yet to sit through the extended version to compare, have seen the theatrical. I have no want or desire to either, really.

That's kind of how I feel about the movie also. I saw it. I have no desire to ever see it again. Additionally, I don't really have a desire to see any piece of it again. I don't know if that says anything about this movie in regards to the general public's tastes but it's pretty damning coming from me.

Two cases to explain my point.

Ang Lee's The Hulk. Too long, creative but boring and I just have trouble connecting with any character in the whole movie. But I own it and I will gladly pop it in and watch the chase with the helicopter's and Hulk through the desert, or the San Francisco scene. I love those moments.

Van Helsing. Complete shit of a movie, but once again I own it (bargain bin at Wal-Mart for $5). I will pull it out and watch the first fight with the flying female vampires in the town square any time. It's the one part of the movie that was fun.

Batman vs. Superman. I can't think of a single moment that stood out enough for me to want to go back to it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:30 pm 

I wonder at what point that Warners will realize they're just throwing good money after bad in sticking to their desire for their own "Marvelverse" despite NO ONE genuinely wanting it. After Iron Man, audiences were primed for more, after Man Of Steel and non-starters like Green Lantern, it's like "Eh..."

And, yes, like a sucker I'll probably see Wonder Woman and Justice League and end up whining about the same flaws that all of the Snyder/Nolan films suffer from (lack of humor/awkward attempts to compensate, dreary color schemes, an overabundance of see-you-next-summer-when-this-will-kinda-make-sense-but-not-really Easter Eggs designed to spark the excitement of fanboys but just come across as forced and arbitrary), but I have no real desire to do so. It wasn't that long ago that I'd be all giddy and devour each and every scrap of information about upcoming franchise movies, but now I can't even be arsed to watch even one of the fifty trailers that will be released between now and when Justice League drops like a lead balloon next Thanksgiving. At this point, I'd rather just sit through the JL cartoon on Netflix and call it a day...it would certainly be more entertaining.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:14 pm 

Eh. I'm down with what Snyder is laying down. I hated Man of Steel when it was released, but I've come around to it. And if nothing else, his films are gorgeous.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:45 pm 

brian wrote:
Eh. I'm down with what Snyder is laying down. I hated Man of Steel when it was released, but I've come around to it. And if nothing else, his films are gorgeous.

I feel the same way about Man on Steel. Actually, rewatching this and a couple of the Nolan Batman films were what finally prompted me to watch Batman vs. Superman. I don't see myself doing the same thing with that film though. I think part of it is the length and part of it is the lack of humor and feeling. I honestly liked Superman as a character and believed in his struggles in Man of Steel. Not so much in the sequel.

I think another part of it is I really disliked almost all the scenes with Lex Luthor. I had no warning about Eisenberg's performance beforehand either. It was an honest reaction.

I will say this about Justice League. I'm really glad they're portraying Aquaman as a badass. That character has been so slight for so many years. He has awesome potential but it's been squandered over the years in the comics. This looks like he may be going in the right direction.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:24 pm 

caryc wrote:
brian wrote:

I feel the same way about Man on Steel. Actually, rewatching this and a couple of the Nolan Batman films were what finally prompted me to watch Batman vs. Superman. I don't see myself doing the same thing with that film though. I think part of it is the length and part of it is the lack of humor and feeling. I honestly liked Superman as a character and believed in his struggles in Man of Steel. Not so much in the sequel.

I think another part of it is I really disliked almost all the scenes with Lex Luthor. I had no warning about Eisenberg's performance beforehand either. It was an honest reaction.

I will say this about Justice League. I'm really glad they're portraying Aquaman as a badass. That character has been so slight for so many years. He has awesome potential but it's been squandered over the years in the comics. This looks like he may be going in the right direction.

The trailers lessened the Eisenberg effect for me. It is what it is. Not a version of Lex Luthor I'd expect or that's been done before, sort of obnoxious, and an extension of a sociopath that majored in philosophy that's very damaged. It is what it is. All the reviews of B v S lowered my expectations incredibly, saw it in the theaters, and it's like "Yes, this is flawed, but of all the superhero films I've seen, it's pretty ok"

Taste, yeah? It's not Marvel, and that's okay! I loved the death scenes, the shots of Metropolis abandoned at the end. Superman during the aftermath of the Capitol explosion. Wonder Woman kicking ass. And the mirror on our society that's quick to demonize or rally behind figures in our media.

But there's some weird editing and story choices. Like, yo, Snyder, end the film with Superman's memorial and the shot of his grave. Put the Lex Luthor getting arrested and Arkham scene after the credits as a teaser for the next film - this film is long! Wayne talking to Diana about assembling a team and honoring Superman is a fine place to end the film. Cutting between Bruce in the graveyard and Batman in Arkham is awkard.

And Wonder Woman looking at youtube videos during the climax? C'mon, you can be more organic than that. Also, showing Lois Lane passing the crisis actor in the subway, having a few scenes happen, then cutting back to her getting pushed in front of the train is just awkward editing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:32 am 
Pollution Baby

caryc wrote:
Ericubus wrote:

That's kind of how I feel about the movie also. I saw it. I have no desire to ever see it again. Additionally, I don't really have a desire to see any piece of it again. I don't know if that says anything about this movie in regards to the general public's tastes but it's pretty damning coming from me.

Two cases to explain my point.

Ang Lee's The Hulk. Too long, creative but boring and I just have trouble connecting with any character in the whole movie. But I own it and I will gladly pop it in and watch the chase with the helicopter's and Hulk through the desert, or the San Francisco scene. I love those moments.

Van Helsing. Complete shit of a movie, but once again I own it (bargain bin at Wal-Mart for $5). I will pull it out and watch the first fight with the flying female vampires in the town square any time. It's the one part of the movie that was fun.

Batman vs. Superman. I can't think of a single moment that stood out enough for me to want to go back to it.
I just re-read some of this thread and I had completely forgotten about the good action scenes. That also says alot about how poorly done the story aspect was.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:06 pm 

I think I just witnessed my favorite Superman story. George Reeves 1950s show. A mobster has proof that Clark Kent is Superman, and tries to blackmail him. Superman isn't sure what he can do, and knows he can't kill the man and his wife. So he drops them on a remote mountain. The man and woman try to climb down the mountain but slip and fall to their death.

Superman smiles knowing his problem has been taken care of.

Good show. The best Superman. Superman could have just dropped Lex Luthor on a mountain.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:13 pm 

Is that an actual episode? Seems pretty damn dark for 50's TV.

There was an episode of the 90's Superman animated series where Clark Kent is "killed" by a bomb in his car while investigating a man on death row who turns out to have been framed. Due to witness testimony, he can't figure out a way to have Clark survive the bomb, until after he has apprehended the actual killer and gotten his confession on tape. In the last scene, the killer is musing about Clark in the gas chamber, "How could he have survived that bomb...?", then looks up and exclaims, "He's Superman!"...right before the lever is pulled and the gas is released.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:10 pm 

Monterey Jack wrote:

There was an episode of the 90's Superman animated series where Clark Kent is "killed" by a bomb in his car while investigating a man on death row who turns out to have been framed. Due to witness testimony, he can't figure out a way to have Clark survive the bomb, until after he has apprehended the actual killer and gotten his confession on tape. In the last scene, the killer is musing about Clark in the gas chamber, "How could he have survived that bomb...?", then looks up and exclaims, "He's Superman!"...right before the lever is pulled and the gas is released.

Yes, the first season of The Adventures of Superman can get somewhat macabre. The later seasons are lighthearted in tone, but season 1 is full of "holy shit" moments. I'm enjoying it.

That was a good episode of the Superman animated show - pretty sure it's a loose adaption of 1940s Superman comic.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:50 pm 
Black Hole

brian wrote:
Monterey Jack wrote:

Yes, the first season of The Adventures of Superman can get somewhat macabre. The later seasons are lighthearted in tone, but season 1 is full of "holy shit" moments. I'm enjoying it.

That was a good episode of the Superman animated show - pretty sure it's a loose adaption of 1940s Superman comic.

Oh, now I have to find that.

I faintly recall watching these at my grandmother's house during the summers that we would be left there.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:34 am 
Singularity ∞

brian wrote:
And if nothing else, his films are gorgeous.

Well yeah, because:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:34 pm 
Pollution Baby

Shoe wrote:
brian wrote:

Well yeah, because:
Subscribed

That was perfectly said, and an expended and educated explanation of what I was thinking and tried to say earlier.

Thank you for sharing it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:58 pm 
Singularity ∞

Glad you enjoyed. It's a good channel. The guy does good stuff and articulates his points really well.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:42 pm 

Shoe wrote:
brian wrote:

Well yeah, because:

Agree with much of what he says (seen this before) and so what? I enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:27 pm 
Singularity ∞

brian wrote:
I enjoyed it.

That's where you're wrong. You only think you enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:29 pm 

Shoe wrote:
brian wrote:
I enjoyed it.

That's where you're wrong. You only think you enjoyed it.

I'm not convinced, I better watch another youtube video before evaluating my emotional response.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next