It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:49 am 
Pollution Baby

From the trailer, they seem to have found a good balance between the grime of the characters and their world, against the sterile world they are forced into.

Jared as The Joker does have a presence, but, ya, the tattoos erase any root in reality and leave only unintended mockery of the character.

But, the movie could, of course, be completely different.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:55 pm 
Singularity ∞

It almost seems like DC is setting up their movie world in reverse, establishing a bunch of villains before they end up in the individual hero movies. You figure Joker, Harley, Killer Croc and maybe some others will end up as bad guys elsewhere.

Kind of an interesting approach.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:35 am 

This film has been in development for like 6 years. Seems like WB got courage to make it after the success of Guardians.

There's been a rumored Sinister 6 Spider-man film for years as well, where it's a heist film with Spider-man being the antagonist. I like the concept of comic films along these lines that don't feel constricted to follow "The hero's journey" - just make some goofy stories and entertain me for 90 minutes to 2 hours.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:16 am 
Singularity ∞

Batman v. Superman is doing nothing for me, but THIS:

Sign me the fuck up!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:55 pm 

Shoe wrote:
Batman v. Superman is doing nothing for me, but THIS:

Sign me the fuck up!

Yesssss.

Rumor was Sony was going to have a similar film for Spider-Man, Sinister 6, with Spider-Man as the antagonist. Pretty sure that was canceled, but this is close enough. No reason you can't have a comic book film without it being "Character rises to be HERO!" or "Hero returns to take out bad guy!"

Just go nuts with this shit.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:57 pm 

I'm excited about this also but really hoping it's better than the comic. The idea of the comic is brilliant but after the first ten issues it was another villain/mission of the week to me. Super boring.

HOWEVER, I highly recommend that you check out the Harley Quinn comic if you haven't already. That one is funny as hell, very well written and could make for an excellent movie if handled right.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:32 pm 

I haven't read any reviews, and have avoided almost all the marketing for this - but I have seen many headlines on facebook today...and, the more vitriolic they get (and I'm being nice), the more I want to see this.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:44 pm 

Those new autoplay trailers on the IMDB can go fuck itself in the foot.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:48 pm 

PS: Fanboy vote is 8.8. Which means it's garbage, as anything fan-based that doesn't start off with at least 9.7 is.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:30 am 
Pollution Baby

So far, 36% on Rotten Tomatoes . . . not a good sign.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:09 am 

puhlease...Jupiter Ascending was the best fantasy film released last year, and it has a 26%. Critics just jump on the bandwagon, so they can feel like part of a club.

If you want to look at how Superman performs on RT, Man Of Steel (the 2nd best Superman film ever) has a worse rating than Returns (the worst Superman film, and one of the stupidest comic book films ever).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:19 am 
Pollution Baby

Chris, you know we love you, but you also know your personal opinions on what films are good or not, are far out of line with almost everyone else in existence.

Having said that, I also really like Man of Steel, alot, so I am taking the critics with a grain of salt, but the 78% from people that saw the early shows (aka fan boys, those that went with fan boys, industry people, Jennifer Lopez, and Matt Damon) is also not a good sign.

I am officially curtailing my excitement.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:21 am 
Pollution Baby

P.S. Superman Returns is about 30% a good movie. The action sequences were mostly awesome, intelligent, and fun, but the rest was cringe worthy.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:31 am 

Ericubus wrote:
Chris, you know we love you, but you also know your personal opinions on what films are good or not, are far out of line with almost everyone else in existence

This is simply not true. Remember, there are no Krull haters in foxholes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:25 pm 
Singularity ∞

Chris Knight wrote:
Remember, there are no Krull haters in foxholes.

That's because Krull fans are rapists, and no one stays in a foxhole with a rapist.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:48 pm 
Pollution Baby

Shoe wrote:
...and no one stays in a foxhole with a rapist.
Well, not by choice. Those people simply don't realize you can destroy a rapist in a foxhole by standing 50 feet away from them and throwing your spiky boomerang shuriken... I mean, bayonet at 'em.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:35 pm 

Chris Knight wrote:
puhlease...Jupiter Ascending was the best fantasy film released last year, and it has a 26%. Critics just jump on the bandwagon, so they can feel like part of a club.

If you want to look at how Superman performs on RT, Man Of Steel (the 2nd best Superman film ever) has a worse rating than Returns (the worst Superman film, and one of the stupidest comic book films ever).

Superman Returns is great.

Man of Steel has some good vagina and penis imagery and is pretty to look at, but is also boring.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:40 pm 

your face is boring.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:12 pm 

Damn.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:55 pm 

Chris Knight wrote:

Dude, no one can think Superman Returns is worse than Superman IV: The Quest For Peace. That's like people who think Spider-Man 3 is worse than Showgirls, Plan 9 From Outer Space and The Happening combined...it's pure fanboy hyperbole, everyone trying to one-up each other's insults because negative criticism is fun to write and fun to read (to quote Ratatouille). Honest film criticism has become an endangered species in the internet era...now everyone just sheepishly piles on, spitting into the same ocean of vitriol for movies that may be bad, but not nearly THAT bad. I would rather sit through Superman Returns again than Man Of Steel, personally...at least the former had the proper John Williams music, glimmers of awe and didn't turn Supes into a grim-faced murderer who casually levels an entire city filled with innocent people just because he doesn't have the presence of mind to lead the villains away from a populated area. Returns is indulgent and weird (dog cannibalism...?) and lays on the Jesus symbolism with a trowel, but I can honestly say it felt like a Superman movie.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:27 pm 

Ratatouille is Pixar's worst film. That scene where the family goes one way, and the main character goes the other? Yeah, I wanted to follow the family, since they were vastly more interesting and relate-able characters.

Superman IV is better than part III and Returns, because it works perfectly fine as a kids film. All the characters are reduced to absurd comic book abstracts of what Donner created in part 1 - which is terrible, but produces - at a minimum - memorable scenes and memorable characters. I don't like the movie, but I don't like part III either, and stopped liking part 2 after seeing the Donner cut.

Returns is just forgettable nothingness. There's a scene in Returns where supes is hanging out in a bar, and it encapsulates the entire movie. The scene makes no sense, is boring, and doesn't fit in the context of a comic book film, a superhero film, or a kids film.

For me, Superman is - and always will be - the first movie. Man Of Steel showed me that the feeling I get from that first movie could be matched, and it's only nostalgia that prevents me from liking it more than Donner's version. I didn't have to ride a hype train to come to that conclusion.

The whole argument that Man Of Steel is bad, because it represents Superman as a murderer, casually destroying a few cities, etc., doesn't make sense to me. Why can't he do these things? Check out Flashpoint on Netflix, and you'll see Wonder Woman and Aquaman destroying half the planet, and Superman killing people without hesitation. Entire cities are leveled, and children are murdered in cold blood. That's comic book fantasy. And it's a lot of fun.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:40 pm 
Singularity ∞

Chris Knight wrote:
The whole argument that Man Of Steel is bad, because it represents Superman as a murderer, casually destroying a few cities, etc., doesn't make sense to me.

That's not why it's bad, that's why it's a poor representation of the character. It's bad because it's a messy, tonally schizo movie with weird ass character motivations and a final act that is 45 straight minutes of incoherent video game garbage.

It does have some great stuff, mind you. Krypton? Show me a whole movie of THAT, because it was great. Some of the early moodiness was well done, and say what you will about Snyder, but he's a visually dynamic director who can craft some iconic images.'

But the movie was messy and the last act was a total disaster. That the characterization of Superman was fucked was only a "bonus."

On the other hand, you're 100% correct about Returns. Total yawner. Great plane rescue, the rest of it is totally forgettable. I'd watch any of the Reeve movies again over it, even shit like IV.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:32 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:07 pm 

People are odd.

I saw this film.

Upon conclusion, a scrawny man with a scrappy beard said, and shit, this is a lame spoiler because I honestly don't think it is,
Spoiler: show
"OH MAN! I called it! IT IS ABOUT CREATING THE JUSTICE LEAGUE!"

Like no shit, you called it because it's in the fucking title. Have a cookie and give your self a pat on the back. Good job on not putting your shirt backwards too!

Anyways, I understand why this has bad reviews. But it's also exactly the film you expect it to be. There's some pretty shitty editing going on, and some world-building crap interjected really poorly that bust up what would otherwise be tense scenes. Guess I'll have to wait for the Snyder Ultra UHD Special Edition Director's Cut™ to see if further editing can make it a decent film. If forced to give it a rating, I'd rank it between two bananas and fish oil.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:20 am 
Pollution Baby

$170,100,000.00 Domestic opening, $424,100,000 worldwide.

That will help ease the pain from any bad reviews.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:35 am 
Pollution Baby

brian wrote:
...Like no shit, you called it because it's in the fucking title. Have a cookie and give your self a pat on the back. Good job on not putting your shirt backwards too!
This is a personal pet peeve, mostly because my mother is one of those types of people. Usually it comes from some sort of foreshadowing, be it heavy handed or subtle, that they 'figure out'. As if it was some intellectual accomplishment to realize the character with the shifty eyes was the bad guy. "Ya, I knew it was gonna be him, when they did that close-up and his eyes were moving back and forth, ya, I knew it right then, he can't be trusted." Thanks, Mom.

For not loading on load...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:44 pm 
Singularity ∞

Saw it.

Was kind of a bore.

Affleck was surprisingly fantastic, maybe the best Batman yet, and Wonder Woman stole the show in every scene despite being given fuckall to do.

The rest was a load of missed opportunities, lousy writing, boring plotting, vague characterization, and the occasional amazing visual by Snyder.

5/10.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:28 pm 

I'll hopefully be seeing this next week with my daughter. I'll give you the reaction from a dedicated 13-year-old Marvel fan who doesn't give two shits about DC characters but loves strong female heroes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:35 pm 

Shoe wrote:
Saw it.

Was kind of a bore.

Affleck was surprisingly fantastic, maybe the best Batman yet, and Wonder Woman stole the show in every scene despite being given fuckall to do.

The rest was a load of missed opportunities, lousy writing, boring plotting, vague characterization, and the occasional amazing visual by Snyder.

5/10.

I liked that it
was released on Good Friday.

WB posted this snippet of a deleted scene on youtube, and I have to wonder why not include this instead of
Wonderwoman looking at found footage of other meta humans
?

- like here's some interesting world building referenced by other elements in the film indirectly and let's
Luthor's final lines, "The bell has been rung!"
actually have relevance in the film.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:10 am 
Singularity ∞

brian wrote:
quote]

I liked that it
was released on Good Friday.

It was a good choice given the movie's themes, I just wish the movie had actually explored those themes. Instead, almost every moment except The One that plays into them was featured in the trailers.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:21 am 

I'm looking forward to the director's cut, and hoping there's some characterization and better flow to the film.

Batman is literally America following 9/11. And
he's right about Superman. He can be manipulated to kill. For his mom. For Lois. I'm wondering if Kingdom Come is their endgame.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:21 pm 

Very Spielberg at the beginning, but holy shit what a mess. I have to assume the missing 30 minutes makes some sense of what I saw, especially motivation and/or reasoning for certain characters.

LOVED the Capitol sequence - probably the best part of the film. And with the visual of the horse - just beautiful.

I wanted more of Wonder Woman than anything else, really...she seemed to be having a blast at the end there, and that excitement was missing from everywhere else in the film.

I'll give it another go when the longer version is released...if it's still as messy, this will simply be a forgettable setup for the next film.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:20 am 
Singularity ∞

Chris Knight wrote:
I wanted more of Wonder Woman than anything else, really...she seemed to be having a blast at the end there, and that excitement was missing from everywhere else in the film.

Heroes who actually WANT to be heroes? Madness!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:48 pm 

Shoe wrote:
Chris Knight wrote:

Heroes who actually WANT to be heroes? Madness!

You try hauling a freighter across the arctic and also look forward to doing your night job every day.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:50 pm 

:hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole: :nohole:

-Jeremy Irons was droll fun as Alfred.

-Gal Gadot was great as WW, despite clearly being shoehorned in. I'll see her solo movie, in part because there are so few damn movies with a WWI setting.

-I noticed how the writers covered that every rubble-strewn cityscape was empty of innocent bystanders, clearly playing off of those -- like me -- horrified by the levels of casual collateral damage in Man Of Steel (a movie I watched again this afternoon, and am kind of warming to).

-I wonder how much payola Michael Shannon got for use of the likeness of his lifeless corpse.

-STILL too much chaotic destruction...less is more, people.

-Jesse Eisenberg was a HORRENDOUS Lex Luthor, like he was doing a mincing impersonation of Jim Carrey's already-mincing performance as The Riddler in Batman Forever. Detracted a LOT of hey-this-isn't-half-bad goodwill the movie managed to generate.

-Batman's first appearance in the film is HIGHLY atmospheric and effective, straight-up horror movie stuff. Affleck is actually quite good in the role...he's come a long way from his smarmy frat-boy days.

All-in-all, more fun than not.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next