It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jurassic World
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:23 am 

Saw this last night with my daughter. We'd watched the first one over the weekend and she'd loved it. I still give it a solid five stars and think it's gotten better over the years. The other sequels can suck it for the most part. For those that haven't seen this one yet, it's a hell of a lot of fun.

Jurassic World:

:hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :half: :nohole:

The effects are crazy good and it's a wonderful, mindless summer movie. Tons of action and the final third of the movie is what the Godzilla remake from a couple of years ago should have been. My only quibbles are:

Spoiler: show
I felt absolutely no connection to the kids or to the "love" story spelling out, and once Indominus Rex escapes, the plot seems pretty cookie cutter. People make exactly the choices you expect them to make including the whole military scenario.

Still, I'll see it again eventually.

Post subject: Re: Jurassic World
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:30 pm 

Seriously? Everybody would rather see a Cobain documentary than giant lizards beating the shit out of each other? What's become of this board?

:wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:33 pm 
Pollution Baby

I have yet to see it, but I want to. I may get out to the drive-in, but I need to convince my kids it is OK to be scared again.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:40 pm 

As I said above, my daughter loved it and she's not into scary movies. It's got a couple of jump scares here and there for sure and for younger kids it could be scary. The effects are amazing though. That freakin' water dinosaur is truly insane.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:40 pm 

No thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:46 pm 

caryc wrote:
Tons of action and the final third of the movie is what the Godzilla remake from a couple of years ago should have been.

I just recently saw the Godzilla remake (I'm assuming you are talking about the one with Bryan Cranston,and not the execrable one with Matthew Broderick), and I have to say, I was generally impressed that I enjoyed it as much as I did. I didn't like the design of the other Kaiju, but overall, I thought it was pretty good.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:46 pm 
Singularity ∞

I was going to take a pass on this -- the trailers have done nothing at all for me -- but the word of mouth is surprisingly good. Also discovered that a have a movie gift card I never used, so hey, free movie!

It was going to be Mad Max, but I like dinosaurs more than cars.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:48 pm 

Nah, go see Mad Max instead.

Jurassic Park 4 lost me completely when it stopped being about a group of gun-toting, genetically modified dinosaur mercenaries chomping on cigars and shit.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:50 pm 
Pollution Baby

Kimfair wrote:
caryc wrote:
Tons of action and the final third of the movie is what the Godzilla remake from a couple of years ago should have been.

I just recently saw the Godzilla remake (I'm assuming you are talking about the one with Bryan Cranston,and not the execrable one with Matthew Broderick), and I have to say, I was generally impressed that I enjoyed it as much as I did. I didn't like the design of the other Kaiju, but overall, I thought it was pretty good.
I liked it a lot too. The fact that they centered the attention away from the giant monsters attacking each other I thought was actually a good thing. The tone of the film suggested they needed to. I also like big monster fighting movies, but this was trying to be a bit more than that, and I liked it too.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:16 pm 

The cars in Mad Max aren't CGI, Shoe.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:00 pm 

Ericubus wrote:
Kimfair wrote:
caryc wrote:

I liked it a lot too. The fact that they centered the attention away from the giant monsters attacking each other I thought was actually a good thing. The tone of the film suggested they needed to. I also like big monster fighting movies, but this was trying to be a bit more than that, and I liked it too.

I liked the Godzilla movie. Don't get me wrong. I was impressed by what he was trying to do, however there's something super fun about big lizards just kicking the absolute shit out of each other. Just sayin'.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:32 pm 

:hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole: :nohole:

Better than The Lost World (the marvelous "campers hanging off the cliff" setpiece aside), a lot better than the atrocious Jurassic Park III, but nowhere near as good as the original. Seriously, the young kids with divorcing parents AGAIN?! The aggravating, punch-card generic "This is above your pay grade!" line for the billionth fucking time? The final showdown between the I-Rex and two tag-team foes is pretty fun and worth sitting through the rest for, but overall it was okay at best.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:04 am 
Singularity ∞

Kimfair wrote:
caryc wrote:

I enjoyed it a lot. I understand the problems some people had with it, especially with What'shisname taking the less is more approach to showing the beasts, but I was generally really happy with it and liked that most of the time, we saw the monsters from a human perspective. I feel like there was a sense of scale that something like Pacific Rim was missing.

The bit at the airport, for instance, when you're looking out the terminal window and suddenly Godzilla's foot is stomping just outside? BOOM!

The criticism that there wasn't enough Godzilla is a fair one, but I enjoyed it all the same.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:30 pm 

I can't remember the last movie I sat through actively disliking more, but even that should be commended considering my eyes gloss over and I can't remember a single fucking thing from the last 20 Marvel movies, they're so patently inoffensive.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:37 pm 

Am I the only the one that thinks part 2 is the only decent Jurassic Park movie? It's completely making fun of itself the entire time. The other 2 are unwatchable.

Reddit hivemind says this new one is just a remake of Aliens, so as long as the plot keeps moving along, and isn't just set piece after set piece, it can't be worse than the previous installments (well, barring the ridiculous orange and teal grading I've seen in the trailers).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:58 pm 

Jurassic Park is one of the best movies ever made. Part 2 and 3 both suck but at least 2 has Goldblum.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:41 am 
Pollution Baby

The kids and I watched the original Jurassic Park on Friday night, and Nick and I went to see Jurassic World last night at the drive in.

Overall, it was a 'fun' and dumb as fuck movie.

Good
The park was fully realized and cool, and the operations and dinos were well done, fun to watch and cool. The new dino/monster was well realized and cool. The last fight was cool. The aftermath was far too glossed over, with the T-Rex now just kinda walking around and everyone is safe.

Bad
The convenient-to-the-story behavior of the Velociraptor/Deinonychus switching alphas when the plot yelled at them to. The film spent far to much time between the 2 stories of the lost kids and the soon-to-fuck couple, not really spending enough time with either to care enough about them. Ya, Chris Pratt's character of the lone-guy-that-knows-everything while everyone around him acts like a complete moron or asshole, is WAY overdone and a trope that needs a long rest, but, I like Pratt, and he kind of pulls it off, until that fucking cringe worthy line from the kid, "Your boyfriend is a badass." :sigh:

Jurassic World
:hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole: :nohole:

Jurassic Park
:hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :half:

P.S. One 7-year-old boy's perspective: During the final fight scene as T-Rex faces off with I-Rex, he turns to me, "This is AWESOME!" So, he loved it, and now wants to watch parts 2 and 3 (we watched the original Jurassic Park the night before, it was his first time seeing it).

P.P.S. The JurassicWorld.com is damn well done, I especially like the park cams.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:33 pm 
Singularity ∞

Just got done watching it.

It wasn't bad.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:07 am 
Singularity ∞

shoe wrote:
Jurassic World

Not bad.

So, more on this.

I LOVE dinosaurs. I LOVE dinosaur movies. I LOVE the Jurassic Park series, both books and movies, even the bad ones like JP3.

I did not love this movie. I didn't dislike it, but it mostly fell flat with me.

Totally don't mind that it was a nearly point-for-point retreated of the first movie in everything from characters to themes to plot. Formula is fine, especially if it's a good formula.

Also, Bryce Dallas Howard all grimy and sweaty with a tank top is a wonderful thing.

Vincent D'Onofrio as a laughable cliche, on the other hand, is not. Awful dialogue, ditto. Chris Pratt playing the "only guy in the room who knows what he's doing and is sooo cool about it" trope, same. Concocting a dino that is essentially a perfect killing organism with a host of amazing abilities and wicked intelligence (clawing out its tracker, knowing to lower its body temp to lure people into its pen, talking to the raptors to get them to switch sides?), silly.

Even all that I'd probably be fine with if there weren't so many small things that kept taking me out of the movie. Suspension of disbelief is a delicate thing. You have to be able to buy into a world and accept that it exists.

In Jurassic Park's case, it's a world in which science was able to bring dinos back. I can accept that. It's also a world in which corporate interests dabble with things beyond their control in the name of profit, and in which science unchecked does things it shouldn't do. I'm all aboard!

Theme park? Awesome idea.

But then to see people freely kayaking next to herds of freakin' diplodocus (ridiculous) or to believe that people would be set free in a valley filled with stegos and trikes and more dips, with nothing more than a glass sphere to guide them, not even security, I just couldn't do it. Pulled me right out of the movie.

Even in the real world with relatively harmless animals, your drive through safaris in theme parks do not allow free roaming, have tons of checkpoints, loads of security, and so on.

I can believe in the dinosaurs. I can believe in the corporate flunkies and macho military abuses.

I can't at all believe in those damn attractions!

No Spielberg didn't help. He can give even the silliest of movies some heart.

This movie had no heart. Oh, it tried. Tried but failed. The divorce story, I know why it was there, but it just didn't work. The forced romance was too big a cliche (especially when both Pratt and Howard's characters were so one-dimensional). All the side stuff was just meh. D'Onofrio's villain was cringe-inducing.

Mostly, I need to stop writing this post, because the more I think about the movie the more I start to dislike it.

And I DID like much of the spectacle, the mostly fantastic CGI, some of the clever ideas (like the hunting raptors), and the big dino brawl at the end.

Plus I liked that the movie stayed mostly family friendly and fun. Easy to see why it was a huge hit.

But man, don't think about it too much.

Also, this video, while funny, is also right on about 80% of these humorous nitpicks:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:20 am 
Pollution Baby

Shoe wrote:
...to believe that people would be set free in a valley filled with stegos and trikes and more dips, with nothing more than a glass sphere to guide them, not even security, I just couldn't do it. Pulled me right out of the movie...
Ya, that was, in every way, a completely unrealistic idea, from the safety perspective, to the fact that it had no real end time, people could just roam forever. No wonder the line was a mile long. No park would ever implement that.

While watching, I decided to leave it at a 'Hey, wouldn't that be cool' level of thinking, and just go with it.

It could have been a much better film with a little reigning in of the outlandish ideas, or at least someone to make them more plausible. Like have a larger pod with a guide driving, the driver/guide could have gotten killed, along with the others in the pod, and still left just the 2 kids alone, not much change in the story of the overall film, but far more believable.
Or
Maybe it's just a self driving pod in a rail. Actually, that could have looked cooler. An overhead rail, with the rider laying down and looking out the pod, but high enough so the dinos could not reach them. Then the mighty iRex comes up and knocks it down...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:20 am 

Vincent D'Onofrio is the only person in Jurassic World who knows what movie he's in.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:41 am 

JFelix wrote:
Vincent D'Onofrio is the only person in Jurassic World who knows what movie he's in.

I haven't seen this O&T fest yet, but after reading Shoe's thoughts, I have a feeling his character is the one element I'll enjoy.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:51 am 
Singularity ∞

Chris Knight wrote:
JFelix wrote:

I haven't seen this O&T fest yet, but after reading Shoe's thoughts, I have a feeling his character is the one element I'll enjoy.

Perhaps. He's a silly cartoon villain built of bad cliches with a totally mailed in performance that makes it clear D'Onofrio was there cashing a paycheck.

You'd probably like it more if he chewed some scenery with a wink, but he didn't. It wasn't hammy or pulpy, it was just sort of there.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:52 am 

Lack of self-awareness is key to a good hammy performance.

If I watch Jurassic World again (I'll probably download it and it will sit on my hard drive for a year and a half unwatched until he it gets deleted to make space for more pornography), it will probably be just for Vincent D'Onofrio Yosemite Samming his way through the film.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:30 pm 
Singularity ∞

Turned my ranty post into a full blog piece:

http://shoegaze99.blogspot.com/2015/10/ ... k-and.html

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:16 pm 
Pollution Baby

Shoe wrote:
Turned my ranty post into a full blog piece:

http://shoegaze99.blogspot.com/2015/10/ ... k-and.html
Still agreed, but you totally need an editor.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:31 pm 

I actually enjoyed this. Was it good? Fuck no. Was it better than the other JP movies? By far. This is Gremlins with Dinosaurs, with a bit too much PG restriction going on. To make this better, it has to be Gremlins 2 with Dinosaurs.

Shoe's whole "there's no way zoo patrons would be allowed 10 feet near real dinosaurs" argument makes no sense to me. This is a complete fantasy for kids. Everything about this screams "what if", and so I'm totally cool about the complete abdandonment of realism, especially the lack of typical park rules. Ever read The First Of Octember? It's like that.

The contrived brother/sister parallel was stupid, and the whole dinosaurs-being-bred-for-the-military plot line was not dealt with well enough. Like, Chris Pratt was brought in SPECIFICALLY to train these raptors for the military, and then when the big baddie tells him "hey, we're going to use them for the military," he acts all dumbfounded. Made no sense. Also, big baddie needed a better on-camera death scene.

The only reason I didn't like this more, is because it didn't go far enough

1.When the birds get out, the director should have had the balls to have a kid being grabbed and torn to bits. This worked beautifully in AvP: Requiem, because you didn't expect the kid to go down hard.

2. At the end, I wanted the T-Rex and raptor to fist bump, and then when the raptor looks at the camera, I wanted a thumbs up or a Fonzie "eeeeeyyyyy" or something. Just to amp up the ridiculousness of this movie.

3. Token didn't die heroically. Come on, all black guys get a cool death scene...

Anyway, of the 4 JP movies, this and part 2 are the only decent ones, and I would watch this over part 2 any day.

PS - also, those two characters in the control room - fuck everything about them. Why were they even in the movie? Also, more product placement than Sharknado 3 - I think Comcast needs to be applauded for how much they manage to get away with this.

One more thing - the director kept taking me out of the movie by giving nods to just about every 80s action film. There are so many that I lost count, and none of them were subtle.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:14 pm 
Singularity ∞

That post just validated all my thoughts on the movie. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:38 pm 
Black Hole

Most unrealistic part?

I mean completely unbelievable and really made no sense.

A kid (or pretty much anyone under the age of 30) knowing how to drive a stick.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:40 pm 
Black Hole

Best part?

Redhead aunt was a hottie. I mean really hot.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:07 pm 

Pender wrote:
Most unrealistic part?

I mean completely unbelievable and really made no sense.

A kid (or pretty much anyone under the age of 30) knowing how to drive a stick.

I've never gotten more cursed out and flipped off than when I was learning to drive a stick. I even went out of my way to practice on a street with little traffic but it didn't stop the haters.

:(

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:34 pm 

I learned to drive stick with a box truck (loaded), driving from PA to FL. The first few hundred miles really, really sucked, as I could not wrap my head around the concept of down-shifting.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:14 am 
Pollution Baby

I learned how to drive a stick in a graveyard, so technically I didn't hurt anybody.

First 4 or 5 cars were all stick.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:49 am 

My car is currently a stick. I learned to drive one on a Volkswagen van while in high school. My little brother laughed every time I stalled out at a light. Five years later, I got to repay the favor when he learned, only I was older and could be much crueler.

Anyway, I went from stick to automatic on my last car and while I loved it (a Mazda 3), I was craving a stick again when I got my current one (Mazda CX-5). The only thing I hate is that car companies only produce manual transmissions with limited color options and packages. My car was only available in black, white and silver and has nothing special about it as far as packages go. I didn't even have the option to upgrade to anything. It all has to be after-market.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:17 pm 
HMFIC

I grew up in and around Detroit. Driving a stick has stopped me from having my car stolen. Somebody once broke into my car and stole nothing, presumably because they meant to steal the car itself but then realized they couldn't drive stick.

Current car (12 years old) is a stick, but it seems unlikely the next will be. As Cary points out, it's hard to find them and your choice is limited. Plus, the OB&C can't drive it. Though that may be more of a feature than a bug.