It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:02 pm 
Canyon

Oh J.J. you rascal! Filming a sequel to Cloverfield in secret is so....you.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/01/15/jj-abrams-10-cloverfield-lane-is-coming-in-two-months

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:17 pm 
Pollution Baby

Interesting... I will assume it to be awesome, because everything JJ has ever does is perfection.

T- T- T- Trolling the hole . . .

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:18 pm 

The first half of the trailer reminds me of Hidden, which I quite enjoyed...

I love Cloverfield, so it's a no-brainer that I will be seeing this new one opening weekend.

Also, like the first one, this is not directed by J.J. Abrams. Cloverfield told a good story, which should have been the first clue that he wasn't responsible for its awesomeness.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:48 pm 
Singularity ∞

Chris Knight wrote:
I love Cloverfield, so it's a no-brainer that I will be seeing this new one opening weekend.

Also, like the first one, this is not directed by J.J. Abrams. Cloverfield told a good story, which should have been the first clue that he wasn't responsible for its awesomeness.

All of this.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:03 pm 
Black Hole

Plus Goodman.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:11 pm 
Singularity ∞

Shoe wrote:
Chris Knight wrote:

All of this.

The only minor misgiving I have is that apparantly this wasn't meant to be a Cloverfield film. It was actually almost done when they retrofitted it into the CF universe with some reshoots. So that's slightly sketchy.

But mostly I don't care. Even without the Cloverfield angle that trailer is really fucking good and totally intrigues me.

And Abrams is involved with cool shit, as long as he doesn't actually touch it.

So the Cloverfield stuff may be just a nice bonus.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:34 pm 

Mary Elizabeth Winstead.

'Nuff said.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:37 pm 
Singularity ∞

I read she has a HUGE cooter.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:32 am 
Canyon

Shoe wrote:
I read she has a HUGE cooter.

No deal breaker there. I'd crawl right inside.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:25 pm 

This looks like a B- potboiler with an ambiguous ending and then they (probably) filmed some monster shit and retrofitted it to be a Coverfield sequel.

That's actually kind of rad.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:22 pm 
Singularity ∞

I think I'm going to see this in the theater. With or without the Cloverfield connection, the ads have sucked me right in. I'm intrigued.

I look forward to JJ Abrams disappointing me (again).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:40 pm 

:hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole:

Spoiler: show
This movie kind of feels like Abrams' Super 8...in that film, it was like someone smooshed the screenplays for Jaws and E.T. into one film, resulting in an odd tonal discord. 10 Cloverfield Land (which has absolutely NOTHING to do with Cloverfield, unless I missed it, and I watched that film again just last night for a refresher). Here, it's like Desmond's hatch scenes from Lost suddenly morphing into Falling Skies or something. Both portions of the film are very effective, but still, a LOT of people are gonna hate this once they realize what the hell is going on outside...it's like this SUPERB, tense setup for what basically ends up as an "outta the fying pan and into the fire" shaggy dog joke.

Winstead is great in the film, but then again, when is she not? She looks awesome, gets to indulge her inner Sigourney Weaver, and overall it's lovely just to see her in a real MOVIE for a change...how I wish she'd get off her direct-to-streaming indie kick and give her fans more of a chance to see her on the big screen. :(

I dug Bear McCreary's score a lot...it's not brimming with hummable melodies, but then again, this is not the kind of film that would really require that. He juices up the tension beautifully (and -- yes -- Craig Huxley is credited with the Blaster Beam in the end credits), and it's heartening to hear a suspense movie score done in that lushly ominous old-school Bernard Herrmann style in this day and age of crash & bash noise.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:11 pm 

Monterey Jack wrote:
I dug Bear McCreary's score a lot...it's not brimming with hummable melodies

Monty, what'd you think of that Sicario score, because it is deeply my shit.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:26 pm 

It was very effective in the film. Best Score nomination worthy? Not when The Man From U.N.C.L.E. deserved that slot, but it was still impressive work. I'll have to listen to some selections on YouTube.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:38 pm 

Shoe wrote:
Shoe wrote:
Chris Knight wrote:

All of this.

The only minor misgiving I have is that apparantly this wasn't meant to be a Cloverfield film. It was actually almost done when they retrofitted it into the CF universe with some reshoots. So that's slightly sketchy.

But mostly I don't care. Even without the Cloverfield angle that trailer is really fucking good and totally intrigues me.

And Abrams is involved with cool shit, as long as he doesn't actually touch it.

So the Cloverfield stuff may be just a nice bonus.

This really could have been a film with no Cloverfield ties and it would have been a good film. It was enjoyable, just that the
space worms stuff
didn't really add anything besides sequel potential.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:01 pm 

Query...

Why did Goodman put the air recycling thingie at the end of a Die Hard heating duct that would have been impossible for a man of his girth to gain access to? What did he think he was gonna do if it broke down and he didn't have a skinny girl to send down there for him? Or maybe there was another access point that wasn't explained adequately? It's a moment that makes no sense.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:34 pm 

I think the idea was that he should have been able to fix the problem from a different spot but an access hatch was jammed.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:06 am 

brian wrote:
I think the idea was that he should have been able to fix the problem from a different spot but an access hatch was jammed.

I'll have to pay attention to the dialogue the next time I watch it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:46 pm 
Canyon

Caught this yesterday in a stunning 4k theater presentation with an excellent but not overpowering sound setup. I was very impressed. Winstead is simply mesmerizing. So much so that I found myself missing things because I was staring at her while something else important was happening in the frame. And she has so much of that Sigourney Weaver vibe going on that it will be impossible to ignore her for those types of roles from here on out. But...

Goodman actually stole the entire show. Man, oh man! This is easily a career best for him. As complex of a performance as I've ever seen from him. Genuinely terrifying. I wouldn't be at all shocked to see some awards attention later this year (which won't happen, I'm sure).

About that ending...

I'm still not sure what to think of it. It's very obvious that this was part of a late-stage rejiggering. And it's a very hard tonal shift from the grounded nature of the scenario she just escaped -- maybe too hard. Taking out a pervy overweight madman is one thing. Taking down a giant armored floating alien with a Molotov cocktail is like something out of a completely different movie altogether. I'll need to watch it again at some point but the seams where this was stitched together are quite apparent

Last edited by Downhuman on Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:53 pm 

Downhuman wrote:
Winsted is simply mesmerizing. So much so that I found myself missing things because I was staring at her while something else important was happening in the frame.

I'm probably biased, but I feel that way about every movie she's in. :thumbs:

Not only is she knee-weakeningly beautiful, but she's also a terrific actress, so it's a shame that she mainly acts on TV or in micro-budgeted direct-to-On Demand dramas these days. I was just thrilled to see her on the big screen for the first time since...what, The Thing?

And yeah, Goodman is excellent, but it's the kind of genre role that NEVER gains awards consideration unless the film is a zeitgeist box office smash (see Anthony Hopkins in Silence Of The Lambs, or Kathy Bates in Misery, a pair of goosebump-y performances I'd rank Goodman's work with).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:47 pm 
Canyon

Monterey Jack wrote:
I was just thrilled to see her on the big screen for the first time since...what, The Thing?

She had a blink and you'll miss it appearance in A Good Day to Die Hard but the less said about that movie in general the better.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:52 pm 

Downhuman wrote:
She had a blink and you'll miss it appearance in A Good Day to Die Hard but the less said about that movie in general the better.

The "director's cut" on the Blu-Ray inexplicably removes her brief appearances at the beginning and end of the movie, thus removing the sole reason to sit through that miserable pile of crap.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:10 pm 
Pollution Baby

Finally saw it the other night.

Agreed...

First, yes, it was a stuck hatch that Goodman couldn't open that led Winstead through the ducts.

At the end...
It may have been slapped together, but I think they did a damn good job if it. She was on a full roller-coaster, and we were riding with her, from the tear in the suit, to the realization that it wasn't fallout, but it was the wackiest idea that psycho had, freaking aliens, Man! Then the acceptance of her fate into the big burping abyss, to see the Molotov idea form, then work, I loved it.

Speaking of Sigourney, it is a beautiful set-up for an Aliens type tonal shift sequel.

Goodman was fantastic, but he has been just as brilliant in other 'quirky' type films, like O Brother, Where Art Thou? and Barton Fink, a very underrated actor, IMHO.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 5:28 pm 
Singularity ∞

Just watched it.

Really enjoyed it a lot. Tight, suspenseful, good mystery, crazy ass ending. Didn't have fuckall to do with Cloverfield, and that's fine. It delivers exactly what the trailers suggest it will deliver, which is a tense, small cast thriller laden with "what the hell is going on here?" questions throughout.

Also, Mary Elizabeth Winstead has terrific legs.

Thumbs up.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:37 pm 

Shoe wrote:
Also, Mary Elizabeth Winstead has terrific legs.

Thumbs up.

More than just thumbs, my friend... 8-)