It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Loogie
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:14 am 
Pollution Baby

:thumbs:

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

Post subject: Re: Logan
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:03 pm 
Singularity ∞

I've watched it about six times already. If the movie only half lives up to the potential of the trailer, it will be the best of the X movies.

Of course, using that song is kind of cheating, isn't it?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:31 pm 
Canyon

Shoe wrote:
I've watched it about six times already. If the movie only half lives up to the potential of the trailer, it will be the best of the X movies.

Of course, using that song is kind of cheating, isn't it?

If they get that song in the movie somewhere -- and not just the credits -- it will be a huge win.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:29 pm 

Fucking brutal. Feels like a comic book movie, and that's all that matters.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:04 am 

Well shit. I've been looking forward to seeing this, but Chris and I are polar opposites on comic book movies...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:45 am 

:hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :half:

Spoiler: show
As touching as the ending is, still calling bullshit on the kid being able to flawlessly recite a long monologue from Shane from memory after half-watching it once in a hotel room.

Still, a fantastic send-off to Hugh Jackman in his signature ro -- oh, fuck it, you just KNOW he'll be back at some point when his career is hurting and he absolutely needs a hit (lookin' at YOU, Matt Damon).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:26 am 
Black Hole

I have tickets for this Saturday afternoon.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:49 pm 

Monterey Jack wrote:
As touching as the ending is, still calling bullshit on the kid being able to flawlessly recite a long monologue from Shane from memory after half-watching it once in a hotel room.

That's a really minor gripe, considering the goofiest flaw in this comic book story is that
the villain(s) implant an adamantium skeleton into a child that isn't fully developed yet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:09 pm 

Does Logan continue on the Marvel tradition of absolutely having no fucking visual style whatsoever because I'm watching Dr. Strange right now and holy shit, I've never seen a film shot so perfunctory.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:50 am 

JFelix wrote:
Does Logan continue on the Marvel tradition of absolutely having no fucking visual style whatsoever because I'm watching Dr. Strange right now and holy shit, I've never seen a film shot so perfunctory.

It's in that "artfully unobtrusive" style that's a James Mangold trademark. Plus, the climax is in the X-FILES WOODS like every 20th Century Fox superhero movie (which has inspired the usual Twitter meltdown from Lex).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:05 pm 

The woods-as-a-location is obviously an homage to the best X-Men movie, Last Stand.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:36 pm 
Black Hole

Chris Knight wrote:
Monterey Jack wrote:

That's a really minor gripe, considering the goofiest flaw in this comic book story is that
the villain(s) implant an adamantium skeleton into a child that isn't fully developed yet

Hence the invention of bio-adamantium. A symbiotic material that grows with and changes as needed with the host's body.

Also, her intelligence is fairly high considering she was genetically grown and had the capability of understanding and comprehending many tactics, nuances, etc. Wolverine was not a moron.

8-)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:25 am 
Singularity ∞

Finally got around to this, too.

Logan

A disabled Uber driver must care for his dementia-ridden father when his life is turned upside down by a Mexican nurse he's never met who claims to have had his daughter. Now the Uber driver must learn how to control this wild child, care for his father, AND elude Child Protective Services, who are looking to bring the child into their care.

Good movie with some very strong acting. The language is a little salty, especially from the older father figure (played by Patrick Stewart, who played Professor X in the X-Men movies), and there are some scenes of domestic violence you wouldn't expect in a movie like this. Also, there is a "long lost family member" twist that feels pretty ham-handed.

But overall quite an excellent movie. You get the sense that this Uber driver and his dad have had quite a past together. Their albino British friend is underused, but the guy heading the CPS investigation is fantastic. Good ending, too, which deals with the old cliche of cancer in an interesting way.

Recommended if you like family movies.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:20 am 
Black Hole

Shoe wrote:
Finally got around to this, too.

Logan

A disabled Uber driver....

I thought this was a twist on the Buddy Road Trip Movie genre, like The Blues Brothers with a heart.

:unsure:

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:51 am 

Hated it. It had two types of scenes: Logan passes out and wakes up in a place he doesn't recognize, and Logan denies the call we all know he's going to accept by the beginning of the last act. Tedious as fuck. Jackman is good enough, I guess, but he's not really doing much he hasn't done before. The adult content amounted to some shitty gore and profanity inserted for cheap laughs. Not quite as terrible as Deadpool, but that's hardly saying much.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:36 pm 

Chris Knight wrote:

I was bothered by that, and that when they're watching a video on a Sony phone in 2029, the video HUD clarifies that it's an "HD VIDEO"

Like, fuck, it's the future, we can assume it's in HD. Actually, it should probably be better.

Aside from that, fantastic film. Probably my favorite in the X series.

It sort of reminded me of Midnight Special, also recommended if you're into the genre of "My kid has powers and the shadow agency is trying to abduct them."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:55 pm 

B&W version is sort of cool, but I doubt I'll watch it that way again (although Tarantino-esque props for opening with the 50's Fox and Cinemascope logos).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:38 am 
Singularity ∞

Haven't watched this version yet. The idea intrigues me, but I'm not sure how impactful merely flipping to greyscale can really be. Generally speaking when you shoot for black and white you're shooting FOR black and white. You're going to make different lighting and color choices, maybe some different shot or composition choices.

Still, I like the idea. It's one of the reasons I decided to buy the blu-ray.

I really love alternate cuts, even if they're as simple as this. Too bad the rise of streaming and decline in good home versions has meant a decline in good extras and alternate cuts. I love that stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:34 am 

Shoe wrote:
Haven't watched this version yet. The idea intrigues me, but I'm not sure how impactful merely flipping to greyscale can really be. Generally speaking when you shoot for black and white you're shooting FOR black and white. You're going to make different lighting and color choices, maybe some different shot or composition choices.

The idea worked more when Frank Darabont did it with The Mist, because that film was a deliberate throwback to vintage Twilight Zone episodes, and because the B&W helped hide some the deficiencies of the film's modest budget (mainly the CGI critters). With Logan, a lot of the impact of the blunt violence is lessened when the blood spurts look like chocolate syrup. It was sort of neat to watch it this way once (it's the first time I've watched the film since theaters almost a year ago), but I'm sure on future viewings I'll revert to the color version. The whole thing with referring to it as "Logan Noir" is also suspect, because the film is far more of a disguised Western than a noir thriller. Yeah, there are some notable Westerns in B&W, but the genre is mostly associated with color vistas.