It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:06 pm 
Singularity ∞

Just one more specific thing got me to start this, but I'm sure we'll meander to other stuff (mostly because The Happening* aside, I'm staunch defender of his work), so now it's a thread.

Anyway, this scene from Signs was posted to Reddit:

I really like this movie and reject the one oft-repeated criticism of it. You know the one.

But you know what? I never realized how much I hate the music in that scene. So heavy-handed. It's too much.

That is all.

*Did not see The Last Airbender because fuck screwing with Avatar, I wouldn't be able to forgive him if I saw it, and I did not see After Earth, and supposedly much of the blame for that is on the Smiths, anyway.

I did, however, see The Visit and loved it. And yeah, I liked Lady in the Water, too, even if that whole film critic character was a fucking stupid, petty, juvenile thing to include. Huge, huge stain on what was otherwise a neat little modern fairy tale story.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:07 pm 

I'm a pretty staunch defender of Signs. Were there ham-handed scenes? Sure. Was the complaint about what hurts the aliens justified? I don't think so.

Spoiler: show
As human beings, we put ourselves in special suits and go into places that would kill us without them (high altitudes, underwater, outer space) and some of us do it for nothing more than the experience (ahem...). Why wouldn't another race come down to an inhospitable planet to pick up slaves if their planet's continued success depended on it?

Music aside, seeing the scene you posted above in a theater and watching everyone (and I mean everyone) jump, pretty much sold me on that film. It may seem heavy handed now, but at the time I didn't see anyone in that theater rolling their eyes about it. Everyone was too fucking tense.

For the rest of his filmography, I liked The Sixth Sense well enough but didn't fall in love with it like so many others. I'm not sure why. It's a perfectly fine film and the twist hadn't been spoiled for me when I saw it. It just didn't resonate.

I love Unbreakable. No bones about it.

I remember people started bagging on The Village right away but again, I saw it and liked it. It wasn't my favorite of his movies but I thought it was pretty damn good. I figured he was 4 for 4 and was pretty sold on him as a director, however that's the point when I started thinking that maybe having a twist ending to EVERY movie was not the best idea.

When The Lady in the Water came out, I never bothered seeing it and the same with The Happening, Last Airbender and After Earth. I don't remember why I didn't. I just didn't feel that compelled even after liking those first four movies so much. Of those, the only two I'll probably see eventually are The Lady in the Water and The Happening. I did see Devil (he didn't direct but he did write it). I thought that was a fun little thriller.

I've actually been wanting to see The Visit for some time but just haven't gotten around to it yet. I've heard very good things about it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:16 pm 
Singularity ∞

You will for sure like The Visit. I think that one is right up your alley. It's a cheeky little scare film, a little strange, but strange on purpose (and not in the cringy Happening sort of way).

Supposedly, he created two cuts of the film, one pure horror that was really dark and disturbing, and one that was pretty much black comedy. The final film is a blend of the two.

The humor is in the disturbing weirdness, though, not in outright comedy.

Do see it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:23 pm 
Singularity ∞

Also:
caryc wrote:
I'm a pretty staunch defender of Signs. Were there ham-handed scenes? Sure. Was the complaint about what hurts the aliens justified? I don't think so.

As human beings, we put ourselves in special suits and go into places that would kill us without them (high altitudes, underwater, outer space) and some of us do it for nothing more than the experience (ahem...). Why wouldn't another race come down to an inhospitable planet to pick up slaves if their planet's continued success depended on it?

Yep.

The other thing is, we are exposed to things that would harm or kill us in higher quantities *every single day*. We literally ingest such things daily.

Toxic in large quantities doesn't necessarily mean toxic in any quantity. Walk through a mist of some mild acid and you tingle a bit. Get a bucket thrown on you and you're in for some hurt. Eat an apple seed and you shit it out. Eat 200 apple seeds and you die. (They break down into cyanide in your stomach!) Breath the 78% nitrogen in our atmosphere and you're fine. Breath 100% nitrogen and you asphyxiate and die. And so on and so forth.

We have no idea why the aliens came. The movie leaves that as an open question. Could have been for a million different reasons. It's easy to imagine a dozen reasons why they'd be here despite their reaction.

I mean, hell, we're eager to go to Mars, where we'd die in moments without protective gear.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:34 pm 

Shoe wrote:

I mean, hell, we're eager to go to Mars, where we'd die in moments without protective gear.

Yeah, but Matt Damon already figured that shit out so there's nothing to worry about.

Actually, I actually felt a little more let down about the hero in Unbreakable almost drowning (his weakness) than I did about the aliens being affected by water. I expected something a little more dramatic I guess but in hindsight, I love that it's something as simple as drowning that can kill him.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:43 pm 
Singularity ∞

MNS said Unbreakable was meant to be the first movie of a trilogy.

I'm glad he never made another. It stands as perfect on its own.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:25 pm 

What did you think of The Village?

Again, I saw it with no spoilers. Yes, it required a pretty big suspension of disbelief but I liked it. I haven't gone back to revisit it in probably 10 - 15 years though.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:32 pm 
Singularity ∞

I liked it a lot. It gets lumped in with the "twist" cliche, but I don't think it exists in the same space as something like The Sixth Sense, where the twist re-contextualizes the whole movie and changes it after the first viewing. The Village provides an entire series of reveals over the last 45 minutes or so, each of which comments on the last and on the entire situation in the village.

The Sixth Sense has a clever gimmick that is really well executed, but I feel like The Village has something more to say: about truth and the nature of truth, about our responsibility to our children and how far we should take it, about "purity" and what that's even supposed to mean, about fears and mythology.

Loved Bryce Dallas Howard in it, too, and what's his name. The odd looking fella.

Saw it a year or so ago and think it holds up well.

It's not perfect, sure -- the stilted dialogue is pretty terrible -- and the premise is pretty easy to pick apart, but if you're willing to suspend your disbelief it's a movie I like and that I think gets knocked more than it deserves.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:46 pm 

Shyamalan's has evolved (or devolved) in the exact same manner as the Wachowski Siblings...a modest, twisty and clever debut (Bound for the Wachowskis, and The Sixth Sense for Shyamalan...and yes, I know he did some kid's movie with Rosie O'Donnell before, but you know NO one went back to watch that afterwards, so it barely counts) followed by a steady decline into absolute, howlingly hilarious GARBAGE. In both cases, it was too much success, too early...after The Matrix, WB threw all the money in the word at the two sequels, anticipating their own iconic Star Wars trilogy, and instead got the fucking Prequels all over again. And with Shymalan, it's hard to wrap one's mind around how ANYone could commit a line like, "Be scientific, douchebag!" to paper, and have that line make it the ENTIRE WAY through to the finished project being projected on 3,000 screens nationwide. Oh, that's right, because no one was looking over Night's shoulder and remarking, "Dude...that line SUCKS."

And the Wachowskis haven't made an even halfways-watchable movie since the second Matrix, and tHat was a movie where the endless technobabble and ponderous metaphysical musings kept lulling the audience to sleep, only to wake them up with a rockin', wildly-kinetic action sequence...that kept going on so long that audiences started nodding off again. And since the Matrix trilogy sputtered to an end? A candy-coated adaptation of a 60's anime series where even the "ironic" Gen X cult was fifteen years in the past at the time of release, an AGONIZINGLY pretentious sci-fi parable that ran longer than twenty Oscar ceremonies and a movie with Channing Tatum as an outer-space canine on rocket skates. What. The. FUCK?!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:59 pm 

Monterey Jack wrote:
And the Wachowskis haven't made an even halfways-watchable movie since the second Matrix,

I love everything the Wachowski's have directed, especially Jupiter Ascending. So there.

I haven't watched a Shyamalan movie in years, probably The Village - which I neither liked or disliked. That's my problem with him - he makes technically proficient films that are just...boring. In the same way Liev Schreiber puts me to sleep in whatever he stars in.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:32 pm 

Chris Knight wrote:
I haven't watched a Shyamalan movie in years, probably The Village - which I neither liked or disliked. That's my problem with him - he makes technically proficient films that are just...boring.

You bailed out at the wrong time, then...his movies since Lady In The Water have been so BATSHIT INSANE they're chronically watchable despite how bad they get. His Last Airbender movie was merely dull, but considering the source material, it's amazing how he could have made such a boring movie out of it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:45 am 

Chris Knight wrote:
I love everything the Wachowski's have directed, especially Jupiter Ascending. So there.

And once again, the universe aligns and I agree with Chris Knight. Although I have to admit I have not seen Jupiter Ascending yet. I do have it, just haven't gotten to it.

To say that Speed Racer is a "candy-coated adaptation of a 60's anime series" as if that were a slam against the movie shows you missed the point. That film is beautiful, very fun to watch sober and it's even better if you watch it in an altered state. Ask Pender. Pender knows.

Cloud Atlas is also a fantastic film and more ambitious than 90% of what got released that year. If anything, the Wachowski's suffer from trying to cram too much into a film, but even then I can watch their movies all day long and be very entertained.

Back to MNS - Shoe I agree with your argument about The Village not being a twist ending. Earlier in the thread I lumped it in with the others but now that you point that out, I agree it doesn't belong. I'll have to see it again to see how it holds up.

I believe the "weird looking guy" you're thinking of is Adrien Brody.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:27 am 
Black Hole

caryc wrote:
To say that Speed Racer is a "candy-coated adaptation of a 60's anime series" as if that were a slam against the movie shows you missed the point. That film is beautiful, very fun to watch sober and it's even better if you watch it in an altered state. Ask Pender. Pender knows.

Definitely a fun watch and I pull my copy out about once every 6-12 months.

:thumbs:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:56 pm 

Split: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole:

After Michael Bay last January and Shymalan this year, I guess next January will be the Wachowskis' turn to make a good movie.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:26 pm 
Black Hole

I guess that the bad guy is actually a doctor and that the women are actually the patients and that everything is in their head with them escaping a psych ward and not being rescued at all.

That is my guess.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:35 pm 

Pender wrote:
I guess that the bad guy is actually a doctor and that the women are actually the patients and that everything is in their head with them escaping a psych ward and not being rescued at all.

That is my guess.

Not even close. This one has not so much a "twist" as it...well, just see it. You will be pleasantly surprised.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:21 pm 

They're all really Smurfs and this is what those twisted little fuckers dream about.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:09 pm 
Singularity ∞

Holy shit, how in the fuck did Cary actually nail? That's amazing!

I meant, they're not Smurfs, per se, but they might as well be. Holy crap!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:50 pm 
Black Hole

I don't want to see an Em'Shamah'Lama'Bing'Bang movie without a twist.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:13 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:02 pm 

I just watched Split.

How come no one told me the twist was
that I'd enjoy it
?

Ok, that's a fake spoiler.

But here's a real one -
It's in the same film universe as Unbreakable! How appropriate when every "real" superhero film series is trying to build universes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:18 am 
Singularity ∞

Watched two movies last night, both of them coincidentally starring James McAvoy. One was pretty excellent (Split) and the other was just atrocious in every possible way (X-Men: Apocalypse, one of the worst superhero movies I've ever seen).

SPLIT

M. Night Shyamalan's supposed return to form was actually The Visit, not Split, so I reject that narrative right off the bat. It's understandable why people say it is, though. Split is a well-written, superbly acted meditation about identity and the limits of human potential, wrapped in the garb of a claustrophobic psychological thriller.

It's also a rare movie in which the TV commercials gave away the climactic moment, yet in which having that knowledge beforehand ADDED to the suspense. Knowing it was coming kept me engaged.

Like all MNS movies, he hides some information from you until the end. There is no twist, though, and nothing that is shocking (other than where McAvoy's character(s) goes), just some small reveals that serve to fill in the blanks.

Speaking of McAvoy, he's off the hook here, playing a man with multiple personalities to disconcerting effect. Captivating stuff.

About the only thing that isn't good is a bit of foot-dragging in the second act. I found myself checking phone messages and peeking at the time despite being interested in the film. Split is great, but needs about 15 minutes cut out to tighten it up a bit. This is especially true because it gets off and running so damn quickly. MNS gives us a remarkably economical way of introducing our protagonist and letting us know about her, and two minutes later horrible events have already started to happen when McAvoy abducts three young women and locks them in a basement. It's a surefooted, deft and confident start to the film.

From there, we explore her past and McAvoy's psyche, with the help of his therapist, and unravel what makes each of them tick. The hook seems to be seeing how these young women will escape, but the REAL hook is the power struggle inside McAvoy's mind and what it threatens to unleash.

Can I just say how chilling McAvoy's transformation was? One of the most frightening supervillains I've seen. The "hug" with the doctor was ... holy shit.

The end satisfies, but is not cathartic - and that's okay. It's meant to set up something dark, after all. It's (as we now all know) the second chapter in a trilogy.

It does have some pacing problems, primarily in the second act -- I think it took too long to outline the internal politics of McAvoy's mind and set up the coming of the 24th -- but otherwise this was another good one by Shyamalan. Not one of his classics, and in fact I liked the recent The Visit more, but certainly quite good and worth watching.

Excellent movie, if a bit overlong, that has me eager for the sequel.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:02 pm 
Singularity ∞

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:36 pm 

Hyped

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:59 am 
Singularity ∞

For sure!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:50 am 

I didn't even know Split was in the same universe when I was watching it. I enjoyed that film quite a bit, and then Bruce Willis showed up and my mind was blown. I know these are the days of the cinematic universe but that's not the sort of film I'd expect to see referenced or followed up on 15 years later.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:51 am 

A decade ago, if someone said I'd be unironically looking forward to the next Shyamalan movie, I would have laughed in their face, but...here we are.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:37 am 
Black Hole

Still have not seen SPLIT, but if they had told me that it was in the same filmverse as UNBREAKABLE I probably would have been more inclined to go to the theater.

8-)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:54 am 

Pender wrote:
Still have not seen SPLIT, but if they had told me that it was in the same filmverse as UNBREAKABLE I probably would have been more inclined to go to the theater.

This is what I found ingenious when I saw Split...Shyamalan lured in fans with the fact that he was making his first legit-good and well-reviewed thriller in over a decade, then dropped the "Oh, and it's a quasi-sequel to Unbreakable" bomb right at the end. I went in not knowing, and when the Unbreakable score started creeping in towards the end, I was like, "Waitaminute..."

People expect this kind of thing for Marvel or DC movies, but the fact that Shyamalan did it long after his initial plans for an Unbreakable trilogy seemed like the typical, bullshit boasts of filmmakers who have no intention of doing certain films, but keep saying they will long after any hope has dissipated (how many movies has Tarantino claimed to be "his next film" have never come to fruition?) made it an honest surprise, a "Big Twist" that caught everyone by pleasant surprise. It'd be like if Sam Raimi and Liam Neeson announced there were gonna do a "real" Darkman sequel out of the blue, and did so by tacking it onto the end of a seemingly unrelated movie. Imagine Spider-Man 3 ending with a tag featuring Darkman appearing out of nowhere.

I just wonder how well Glass is gonna do, because anyone born the day Unbreakable came out would be in college by the time it drops next year, and people under the age of twenty seeing Bruce Willis pop up at the end of Split probably had no fucking idea what it was referring to (and wondering why the guy a few rows over suddenly went, "Yes...!"). I realize they're probably just gonna sell it as a Split sequel more than anything else.