It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:16 pm 

Monterey Jack wrote:

Worth seeing just to hear Kelsey Grammer shout "DESTROY THE BABY FACTORY" twice within the span of 30 seconds.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:04 pm 

JFelix wrote:
Worth seeing just to hear Kelsey Grammer shout "DESTROY THE BABY FACTORY" twice within the span of 30 seconds.

That movie really surprised me...the humor was a lot more cracked than I was expecting (like a vintage Tex Avery short), and it was also unexpectedly warm and moving. A really charming film.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:42 am 

JFelix wrote:
Monterey Jack wrote:

I graduated high school with Doug Sweetland, who co-directed this. He previously worked as an animator at Pixar starting with the original Toy Story and directed the Pixar short Presto.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:04 pm 

Well, after a 2 year production delay, I (and everyone else who paid for it in January 2014) finally got the Kung Fury Blu-Ray. The director felt pretty bad, so he threw in an extra disc for everyone.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:10 pm 

Is there anything different on the 2nd disc?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:27 pm 

no...but now I can watch the movie in stereo.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:13 pm 

Why did the thread title change?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:24 pm 

Brian is the guy who walks into a room, and 30 seconds later asks "Who farted?"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:25 pm 

Well, did I miss something?

(I assume it's Monty being Monty, but y'know what happens when you assume. You're probably right)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:01 am 
Black Hole

Salad dressing on pizza. That is that. Right? I mean really, a world day for rats. What do you expect when you paint something bright as fuck and then force the rabbits to hide them from children?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:24 pm 

I don't understand the thread title or Pender's post.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:35 pm 
Black Hole

I understand Pender's post.

The title, not so much.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:02 pm 
HMFIC

This title:
The life choices of Montague L. Jack, 2017?

It's a reference to the fact that Monty buys Blu-Rays instead of spending money addressing the problems with his life that he continually bitches about.

This title:
Are you GIVING ME SHIT again? See you next Wednesday?

It's a reference to ol' Taxi. Possibly with the implication that Monty might suspend the account of whoever came up with the first title, if he could.

But I'm drunk, and maybe your joke was that you got both titles.

Post subject: Re: I hope you're happy.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:25 pm 

Never again. SECOND fucking time I've been shamed out of my own goddamn thread.

You motherFUCKERS.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:41 pm 

I sometimes get this feeling that Monty is Trump. Like, Monty throws a tantrum, and now Syria has one less airport. Coincidence?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:43 pm 

Why can't you just let me enjoy what I fucking enjoy? I am NEVER GOING TO HAVE SEX, so just let me live vicariously through movies. You don't hear me telling you to stop buying fucking comic books.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:50 pm 

Just an FYI, why is a few goofy posts stopping your enjoyment? This place is dead, and your blu-ray buying thread is the only one with life in it right now (aside from the one where we were discussing Ried's possible death)...I'd say that was a good thing.

Although I really don't know why you bought Thor The Dark World. Like, I generally dislike Marvel films, but get why some people enjoy them. However, that one is just fucking terrible...like, Prometheus-bad. It even scared Padme away from the franchise forever.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:59 pm 

That's what I'm getting at...there are, like, six people who still regularly post here, so why the everloving FUCK are you trying to make me melt down and leave? It's seriously got to the point where I want to pull a Lex and just leave for good. What the hell is still keeping me here? You all make me feel like shit for indulging in the ONE thing in life I actually enjoy, when I can just go to Blu-Ray.com and be with others who actually SHARE and ENJOY my hobby, instead of spending most of their time discussing the last type of beer they drank.

Shit.

I just feel bad that, in the sixteen years I've been online, the passion for home theater and general entertainment has devolved from the salad days of DVDFile to DIMP and finally the weak trickle of interest here. I just feel like I'm the last man alive, riffing in a void for an audience of nobody. Who cares what the fuck I last watched, we're all busy having LIVES, unlike you, you virgin.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:17 pm 
HMFIC

Monterey Jack wrote:
Why can't you just let me enjoy what I fucking enjoy? I am NEVER GOING TO HAVE SEX, so just let me live vicariously through movies. You don't hear me telling you to stop buying fucking comic books.

Uh, I know way more about your sex life than I ever wanted to, and you've had sex.

I'd agree you haven't had good sex yet. Nor sex you didn't pay for. But part of that is because you refuse to take risks.

Chris Knight wrote:
Although I really don't know why you bought Thor The Dark World. Like, I generally dislike Marvel films, but get why some people enjoy them. However, that one is just fucking terrible...like, Prometheus-bad. It even scared Padme away from the franchise forever.

Possibly completism. Though, while it's probably tied with Iron Man 2 for worst Marvel movie, it's got good parts in it. Whatever the intern's name is is entertaining. So is Loki. It just plods quite a bit in between entertaining parts.

Monterey Jack wrote:
That's what I'm getting at...there are, like, six people who still regularly post here, so why the everloving FUCK are you trying to make me melt down and leave? It's seriously got to the point where I want to pull a Lex and just leave for good. What the hell is still keeping me here? You all make me feel like shit for indulging in the ONE thing in life I actually enjoy, when I can just go to Blu-Ray.com and be with others who actually SHARE and ENJOY my hobby, instead of spending most of their time discussing the last type of beer they drank.

Shit.

I just feel bad that, in the sixteen years I've been online, the passion for home theater and general entertainment has devolved from the salad days of DVDFile to DIMP and finally the weak trickle of interest here. I just feel like I'm the last man alive, riffing in a void for an audience of nobody. Who cares what the fuck I last watched, we're all busy having LIVES, unlike you, you virgin.

Last type of beer I drank was whiskey. And my life, such as it is, consists this evening of sitting around reading 30-year-old comic books (but I spent no money on them!) while drinking far too much whiskey, while my wife and kids sleep upstairs. And that's a good night. It's spring break, so nobody's cursed me out in nearly a week.

Could be you're jealous of that life. Could be I'm a bit jealous that you've got the opportunity to be somewhat less domesticated.

Could be I've lost the point I was trying to make somewhere in there.

But nobody wants you to leave, Monty. Nor to delete all your posts and tell us to fuck off. Normal people mess with people they like. Sometimes they do it a bit extra if they think it's necessary to goad them into doing something that'd be good for them.

And hey, I bought The Iron Giant on Blu-Ray. Partly on your recommendation. Whole family loved it. So that's a win.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:18 pm 

Monterey Jack wrote:
Who cares what the fuck I last watched, we're all busy having LIVES, unlike you, you virgin.

Damn dude, that hurts

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:22 pm 

I swear I just fucking posted a "Like what you like, and don't be a jerk" post but it seems to have gone to the ether. Enjoy your movies, Monty.

Also who's buying comic books?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:33 pm 

brian wrote:
Monterey Jack wrote:
Who cares what the fuck I last watched, we're all busy having LIVES, unlike you, you virgin.

Damn dude, that hurts

How do you think it makes ME feel? That's the ugly, underlying current to a lot of these "dude, you need to get out more" posts, as well-meaning as they might be...it basically implying "Your life sucks, you need to change EVERYTHING, it's not mentally healthy". Maybe it IS, but it HURTS to be constantly reminded of this, especially since I'll never be able to change...its akin to telling Lex to stop swilling a six pack every single night and posting endless tweets about eating out Elle Fanning's asshole. You may as well drain the Atlantic with a thimble.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:36 pm 

comic books are so expensive...I almost bought one a year ago, and realized it had 8 pages of content for $4. Yeah...no.

Anyway, I bought a DVD last week.

Why? who knows. I remember watching it on HBO 27 years ago, and sort of enjoying it. It exists nowhere on the internet, so I spent $2.99 to revisit it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:38 pm 

That's pretty fatalistic.

Like, I don't really think we have as much choice as we think we do, so yes, you will be you.

But bringing attention to you being you and lamenting it is going to bring out those responses from everyone else. Because that's them being them.

So the world goes round, maybe you'll understand why they react that way to you.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:40 pm 

Monty, I don't envy your life, but it's not a bad one. You don't spend your money on fentanyl, despite the easy access to it (I assume everyone working in the retail/service industry is either a drug dealer or user). Blu-Rays are a waste of money (I own hundreds, so I know), but it's a good waste.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:42 pm 

I did a few psychedelics in my college years, but most of my retail years were sober.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:42 pm 

I don't envy anyone's life. Mine sucks in its own way. It's good in other ways. Jealousy is suffering.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:43 pm 

Eating food is a waste of money...you're just going to get hungry again, so why bother, right?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:46 pm 

Monterey Jack wrote:
Eating food is a waste of money...you're just going to get hungry again, so why bother, right?

I think existence is pretty pointless, so, yes?

Or no? Go enjoy life.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:55 pm 

I just miss the days when there was an enthusiastic sense of FUN to the burgeoning home theater market in the early days of DVD...remember when there would be two full pages' worth of new threads and posts EVERY SINGLE DAY on DVDFile? Even in the DIMP days, there was a lot of passion behind reviewing stuff. Now it feels like everyone has moved on except me, and I'm that sad, lonely guy who's the last one who refuses to leave at the end of a party, still hanging around at 2:00 AM and wondering why everyone else is gone. And it doesn't help that I keep getting "helpful" encouragement from my dad about how "You should be reviewing movies professionally and making a living at it!"...Owen Gleiberman's recent book Movie Freak: My Life Watching Movies offered up a story in the later chapters depressingly similar to my own, about how his living-the-dream job was slowly emasculated and devalued in the internet era until he got fired from Entertainment Weekly essentially for being a dinosaur, because who reads movies reviews anymore? Were I still in high school, or had I actually been able to go to college circa 1992, I might have POSSIBLY been able to funnel my embryonic obsession with pop culture and movies into some sort of career, but to try my hand at that NOW, at age 42? Where would I even begin to start? I'm too nervous to try one of those taking-into-the-camera YouTube deals, and no one READS film criticism anymore...they just look at the Tomatometer percentage and decide what to watch based on that. Basically, if you can't decide on any sort of long-term career choice by the time you make it to college (if you were lucky enough to go), you're basically fucked, and the same thing applies to relationships. You didn't date or socialize in high school? Too fuckin' bad, there's no do-overs, and you're stuck with no girl and no friends forever.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:16 pm 

I don't know. We all have boxes we think we're stuck in.

I couldn't even tell you what I enjoy in life right now, so count your blessings. You've got something you're into.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:59 pm 

The world is constantly changing. Very little really remains the same as it was. Lamenting change is a worthless endeavor. Enjoy what you can, be open-minded to change, and try not to fret over what you cannot control. Do these things and you may find a sense of happiness.

Gosh, I've got nothing close to the life I imagined I'd have, or one my parents would have wished for me. I'm not married, I have no kids, I have a decent job, but not one likely to lead to long-term growth/success, and I seem to have had a never-ending string of short-term relationships that never really get serious. But do I fret about life's shortcomings? Not really. Sure, I occasionally wish I could do things differently and achieve more, but I find it more satisfying/rewarding to live more in the moment and appreciate all the great things I do have in life. Some awesome friends, a great city to live in, a job I mostly like, and seemingly endless opportunities to see and do new/fun/exciting things. Heck, I just got dumped today by a girl I was dating the last couple months and aside from a little frustration with her being full of shit, I'm not really upset about it. Life moves on and I recognize I don't need her for happiness.

I firmly believe that perspective is the key to happiness. One can always want something more, but if you cannot satisfy yourself with what you've already got, you're fighting a losing battle. And since we can control our perspective on things, why not try to make the most of that perspective? Allow yourself to be satisfied and happy, or at least be open to it, and happiness can turn into a self-fulfilling prophecy.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:54 am 

Monterey Jack wrote:
Basically, if you can't decide on any sort of long-term career choice by the time you make it to college (if you were lucky enough to go), you're basically fucked

I currently have three students in my class who are well into their 40s or 50s. They are looking for a change in their life, and something motivated them. The younger students in the class get along great the older ones, and actually ask them for advice (because, hey, they're older!). This isn't a freak accident - I get older students in my class every single semester.

EVERYBODY thinks like you when they get into their 40s.

Red wrote:
I firmly believe that perspective is the key to happiness.

Agreed.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:30 pm 

Honestly it seems ridiculous to me that 18-22 year-olds should know what they want to do with the rest of their life.

I went to college and I'm pretty whatever about it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:59 pm 

Monty, I'm sure you've mentioned this before, I don't recall the reason. Why was college not an option for you?