It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:18 pm 
Singularity ∞

I suspect that's at least partially correct, given the theme of sacrifice that ran through this movie.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:12 pm 
HMFIC

brian wrote:
Not a spoiler, but speculation!
Spoiler: show
Cap and Iron man will exchange their souls to bring back half the universe.

I kind of like the idea. But Nebula's still alive, and in the comics she ends up with the gauntlet for a while at least. I only read the series once, and it was years ago, but I sort of think she might've undone what Thanos did.

The movies tend to pull plot points from the comics, heavily altered of course. I'm thinking they'll go that route. Despite all the people applauding the ballsy move Marvel made by (temporarily) killing so many characters, I'm betting they'll hedge their bets by not doing what Brian's suggesting.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:18 pm 

Well, how many films do they have left in their contracts? 10 years is a long time for these people to have these roles.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:30 pm 

From what I gather, Hemsworth, Downey and Evans only have through Infinity War 2 on their contracts, so their eventual fates will likely come down to who's still willing to play the roles, and how much moolah Disney is willing to cough up for that to happen. I mean, Downey got something like FORTY MILLION for Civil War alone. Like Jack Nicholson said in Chinatown, "How much better can you eat?" It'd make sense to retire Tony Stark, Thor and Steve Rogers after Infinity War winds down...one or more of them may actually survive, but aside from an occasional cameo in future MCU movies, they'll probably be done as far as feature-length performances go. There are more than enough new faces to keep pumping these movies out for another decade, and for actors who have yet to grow weary about playing the same characters for years on end.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:00 am 
HMFIC

All I'm thinking is that Disney, despite the applause for making the "tough choice" to temporarily kill a bunch of characters, is going to hedge their bets. Everybody's talking about how the characters are goners because the actors' contracts are up, but the movies are making money and new contracts can be cut.

And Robert Downey Jr. looks less haggard than Don Cheadle by far.

Also, I read a summary to refresh my memory, and Nebula wasn't the one that undid all Thanos's killing in the comics. It was Adam Warlock. Seeing as we probably won't be seeing him until the next Guardians of the Galaxy movie, that doesn't seem to be likely. But I'm betting Nebula's wearing that gauntlet before the next one's over.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 5:54 am 

Eric wrote:
And Robert Downey Jr. looks less haggard than Don Cheadle by far.

Cheadle looked downright ill in Infinity War, all gaunt and sickly. Maybe he intentionally lost weight to play up Rhodey's accident in Civil War, but he still looked in poor health.

I mean, SOMEbody has to die Foh Realz by the end of Part 2, or else the entire experiment is going to seem like an enormous cop-out (akin to that Dallas episode where they retconned an entire season's worth of episodes with an "It was all a dream" gimmick). And not a character that no one cared about anyways, like Thor's mother (dead after maybe a combined fifteen minutes of screentime in the first two movies) or Quicksilver (reduced to an obvious Sacrificial Lamb in Age Of Ultron). To date the only permanent death in the MCU that really earned a genuine emotional catharsis was at the end of Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2, and that franchise is the most loosey-goosey and "lite" inside the MCU banner. I believe Evans has been the most vocal about growing weary of the Disney franchise machine and wanting to do smaller, more intimate projects in the future, and it's not like Cap hasn't sacrificed himself before for the greater good, so I'd lay money on Steve Rogers buying it.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:52 am 
Singularity ∞

There's no chance they wipe out everyone whose contract is up. That would be absurd. Plus, there just isn't any compelling reason to sweep all those toys off the table except for shock value.

There's a pretty good chance someone from the original group goes, though. In this movie, the theme of sacrifice was too prevalent. The Russos seem to have their heads right when it comes to making sure their flicks have a strong thematic focus. To build this idea of sacrifice being important in all that's going on, it suggests to me they will pay that off to bring things to a close. (And I also suspect it will be Cap.)

But yeah, they're not going to wipe the slate clean.

Even with Downey, I can see them giving him a happy ending, marrying Pepper with all the heroes in attendance, and thus leaving him open for cameos later on. And with Iron Man the way he is, he can even do cameos as just a voice, or a face inside a helmet. Makes life easier for all of them.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:53 pm 
Black Hole

I was sad when Ultron died.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:38 am 
Pollution Baby

Hurry MarVel

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:40 pm 

The Incredibles 2 is a superhero film by the Disney corporation, so I'm going to count it as a Marvel film. And it's THE BEST Disney superhero film released in the past 10 years. The opening was great. The story was great. The humor was less fatiguing than Thor 3. So good.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:40 pm 

And a constant reminder that a Fantastic Four film could be good if someone like Brad Bird was writing/directing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:00 pm 

Amazes me that no one has done an even DECENT FF movie after THREE different tries. As much as people grouse about Disney Hoovering up every last potential franchise property out there, I think they'd actually be able to get it right.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:08 am 
Singularity ∞

Both of the Tim Story FF movies were decent. Not great by any stretch, and each had some fairly big flaws (Doom the biggest of all), but they got enough right to be enjoyable enough. Good lighthearted tone, family focus, and a perfect Ben and Johnny.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:32 am 

I enjoyed the comic interplay between The Thing and Human Torch, but otherwise the movies were RIDICULOUSLY miscast (Doom, whatshisname as Reed Richards, olive-skinned, dark-haired, brown-eyed Jessica Alba as blonde, blue-eyed Susan Storm -- made even creepier in the sequel when they made her wear eerie blue contacts), had mediocre special effects, and featured a group of inept "heroes" who caused more inadvertent destruction than the villains. If I saw them around the age of twelve, this wouldn't have bothered me nearly as much, but as an adult, the only good Fantastic Four flicks to date have been the Incredibles movies.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:09 pm 
Black Hole

Mrs. Pender and I enjoyed Deadpool 2.

Was as funny, if not funnier, than the first DP.

:hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole:

I really liked the stylized operatic Holy Shit Balls music. Well-played.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:26 pm 

Pender wrote:
I really liked the stylized operatic Holy Shit Balls music. Well-played.

That must have been fun to record for the vocalists. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:41 am 

I loved Deadpool 2 also! It's been quite a while since I laughed out loud in a theater but I could not stop throughout the entire scene with:

Wade regrowing his legs on the couch.

I also thought that Domino needs her own movie. I love her mutant power. It's so much fun to watch how she deals with each new threat.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:33 pm 

I fell asleep some point after Domino and Deadpool fight juggernaut for the first time, and woke up when they were fighting a large kid in prison.

I'm the killjoy. The debbie downer. I did like the X-Force's first mission though.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:55 pm 

Seeing 80's Michelle Pfeiffer again for a minute in Ant-Man & The Wasp made my penis happy.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:00 am 
Singularity ∞

They're getting really good at that.

They'll be using the tech throughout the upcoming Captain Marvel, on Sam Jackson and Clark Gregg (Phil Coulson).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:35 pm 

Shoe wrote:
They'll be using the tech throughout the upcoming Captain Marvel, on Sam Jackson and Clark Gregg (Phil Coulson).

So far, it's worked like gangbusters in brief flashbacks (Pfieffer and Michael Douglas in Ant-Man, Kurt Russell in Guardians Of The Galaxy 2), but I just worry the seams will show the longer it's utilized in a movie (like Tarkin in Rogue One, although that was an entirely CG creation with no on-set mocap by the original actor). That and the expense and time it takes makes me think we'll only be seeing brief roles by young Nick Fury and Phil Coulson.

Makes me wish someone would do it to restore Jennifer Connelly to her 1991 prime in a movie someday.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:39 pm 
Singularity ∞

Well, consider this: Seven years ago, they made Chris Evens look like a scrawny little twerp for about 1/4 - 1/3 of The First Avenger, and it holds up great.

Full CGI is one thing, but for this, I think they may be at the point where they can hold it up for long scenes.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:55 pm 

We'll find out next year, I guess. Then again, Young CGI Leia was on-screen for three seconds in Rogue One, and looked like shit.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:37 pm 

Monterey Jack wrote:
We'll find out next year, I guess. Then again, Young CGI Leia was on-screen for three seconds in Rogue One, and looked like shit.

No, it doesn't. Show an 8-year old that movie, and they would never even notice the effect. You noticed it, because you've forgotten how to suspend disbelief. Grumpy bastard.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:25 pm 

Chris Knight wrote:
Monterey Jack wrote:

No, it doesn't. Show an 8-year old that movie, and they would never even notice the effect. You noticed it, because you've forgotten how to suspend disbelief. Grumpy bastard.

I'm a grumpy bastard too. If I hadn't just watched a few Hammer Horror films starring Peter Cushing, maybe his CGI face wouldn't have been as jarring.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:18 am 
Singularity ∞

I was totally fine with how CGI Leia looked.

And again, totally different, anyway. That wasn't de-aging someone, it was putting someone else's younger face on a different actor.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:45 pm 

It felt like 30% of Ant Man and Wasp was exposition.

What a boring movie.

And one that once again, I feel soulless at. The rest of the theater laughs at the jokes. I don't. Then when I see
Michelle Pfeifer has eye shadow and lipstick on, after spending what, 25 or 30 years alone in the microverse or whatever
I chuckle. No one else does.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:11 pm 
Pollution Baby

Eh-Man and The White Anglo-Saxon Protestant

My official review: Meh

It had the exact feel of what it was, a group of talented people doing their best to make money for a corporate entity. Just competent enough to not be insulting. The best part was the partially post credit ending. I'm still not completely sure why they chose the top floor of a parking lot in broad daylight, but if they do use the time stone in Infinity 2, than what about getting back those 30+ years, eh? I'm sure there will be some lovely spotlighted comedy reason for not being able to.

P.S. My son liked it.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:11 pm 

Ericubus wrote:
Eh-Man and The White Anglo-Saxon Protestant

My official review: Meh

It had the exact feel of what it was, a group of talented people doing their best to make money for a corporate entity. Just competent enough to not be insulting. The best part was the partially post credit ending. I'm still not completely sure why they chose the top floor of a parking lot in broad daylight, but if they do use the time stone in Infinity 2, than what about getting back those 30+ years, eh? I'm sure there will be some lovely spotlighted comedy reason for not being able to.

P.S. My son liked it.

What Marvel film is this referring to, or is it all of them?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:58 pm 

brian wrote:
What Marvel film is this referring to, or is it all of them?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:13 pm 
HMFIC

The second Ant-Man film was fun enough. Less of its own thing when compared to the other Marvel movies; I enjoyed the heist aspect of the first, and this could have used more of that. It was funny. The kids liked it.

I'm betting a lot of this pays off in Avengers 4.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8