It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:04 am 
Black Hole

Seems silly to have one for every individual movie, especially since most folks here are lukewarm on them. Plus, one thread will annoy Monty less. :wink:

This is an awesome way to get it started - the teaser for Thor: Ragnarok

yes yes yes yes yes yes yes!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:17 am 

Not going to shit on it, until I've seen it - but it definitely ripped off reminds me of Arena:

If it's as silly as that, I'll watch it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:07 pm 
HMFIC

Seems very much like some committee sat down in a meeting and said "Y'know, people aren't too hot on the two Thor movies we've made so far. But Thor in the comics is kind of, like, cosmic, right? Hey, you--the one guy in the meeting who's actually read some comics, that's right, isn't it? Maybe we could make it more like Guardians of the Galaxy? People like that one."

I really liked the first Thor. There were good moments in the second, though too much space between them. And if Thor's main enemy here is Hela, I'd kind of like to see more of the arc that pitted the two in the Simonson Thor run I just read, with the brittle-bones curse and all that.

That said, while this doesn't look like what I'd have asked for, it looks like it could be fun. And silly, which the last Thor wasn't. More like those Team Thor shorts they made.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:21 pm 
Black Hole

Unlike the second Thor movie, this will tie much more directly into the overall MCU story. Expect ties to Guardians and Dr. Strange, and a lead-in into the Avengers: Infinity War movie (plus picking up some threads in Age of Ultron).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:37 pm 
HMFIC

Yeah, that seems likely. But on the other hand, that's what people hated about Iron Man 2.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:50 pm 
Black Hole

That's because it was totally unnatural in Iron Man 2. Jammed in in a way that had nothing to do with the actual story. That entire element could have been lifted out and it would have been a better movie.

That's unlikely the case here. The ties are too direct. This dealing with Thor checking into the Thanos shit. Also, the speculation is that Thanos is obsessed with Cate Blanchett' character, which is a slight twist on the comics.

Basically, it looks to be a lead-in into Infinity War the same way Age of Ultron and Winter Soldier were lead-ins into Civil War.

We'll see, but either way, I'm more stoked about this one than either of the other two Marvel movies this year. Thor and Hulk having a buddy adventure spanning space and other dimensions? Fuck yeah!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:04 pm 
HMFIC

I kind of like the idea of Thanos having the hots for Hela (Blanchett is certainly more attractive than a skeleton in a hood), and splitting time between the "main" character and others, as well as tying into other movies, worked well in the last Captain America movie. So certainly, it can work.

We'll see. It certainly looks like it'll be fun. But it also looks like it won't have all that much to do with the other Thor movies or the idea of Ragnarok.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:14 pm 

The first Thor movie is one of the few that I was into, hoping there's fun to be had here.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:19 pm 
Black Hole

I wonder if we'll see Anthony Hopkins again. They implied Loki murdered him at the end of The Dark World, but you know how comic book shit goes. Unless you see a dissected corpse, they're still alive.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:37 pm 

I watched Dark World and honestly don't remember anything, besides an old man walking around confused, and floating cars.

And to be fair to the film, I arrived like 14 minutes late. Maybe those were really good 14 minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:39 pm 
HMFIC

My only real complaint with the first Thor is that it feels sort of small. Pretty much all the non-Asgard story takes place in just a few locations, without ever feeling epic. Feels like they were consciously staying within their budget.

And it's cleverly done, in a way that riffs on ideas from the comics with his father taking away his godhood to teach him humility. But I want to see Thor fighting the Midgard Serpent or invading Hel with an immortal army. Epic.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:06 pm 
Black Hole

Yes to all of that. I get why that was the case, it was early on and Marvel wasn't a money juggernaut yet, but yeah, with Thor you want to see insane epic fantasy stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:52 pm 

I'll go see the new Thor because Taika Waititi is fucking dope.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:45 am 

I'm pretty psyched about this also but more because of the Hulk angle. It certainly looks like they've grafted at least a part of the Planet Hulk comic run onto a Thor story. That Hulk run is hands down my favorite of the Hulk comics followed closely by the story that came after it (World War Hulk). Since I've heard for years now that Marvel doesn't feel like a stand alone Hulk movie will work and the Planet Hulk series is a little reminiscent of John Carter, I knew I'd never get that film. But here, I may get the next best thing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:34 am 

I think, at this point, you're either all-in or all-out of the Marvel Universe.

I'm all out.

I get why people like them and I certainly don't begrudge anyone their enjoyment but, eh, not for me. I'm far more excited about the DC movies, warts and all, partly because I have more nostalgia/affection for the characters and universe and because I find the films, whatever their many flaws, to be more interesting on more levels.

If I want my ridiculously self referential popcorn franchise fix, the Fast & Furious franchise scratches that itch far better for me than Marvel ever could.

All that said, I will be there opening day for the new Spider-man, despite not be super enthused about trailer, as he's the one Marvel character that I do have genuine nostalgia for.

And at the end of the month I'm going to get Todd McFarlane to sign my silver-cover copy of Spider-man #1, so that's kinda fun.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:12 pm 

Holy shit it's Cru! Hi Cru!

I agree with your sentiment. I'm a DC dork. I've watched Batman V Superman a few times now, and consider myself lucky to not be in the "hate it" camp. Too early to tell if Warner Bros. can keep their film output interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:26 pm 

brian wrote:
I've watched Batman V Superman a few times now, and consider myself lucky to not be in the "hate it" camp.

I really only have two complaints about that film. First, it's just too damn long. I watched the director's cut once and I thought it was okay. I didn't hate it, but I can't see myself committing to it again. Also, I was honestly annoyed by Eisenberg's Luthor. I understand what they were going for but it really pulled me out of the film.

Otherwise, I've liked the DC movies pretty well. I've always been more of a Marvel guy but I liked Man of Steel and all three of the Batman films.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:32 pm 
HMFIC

Cru wrote:
I think, at this point, you're either all-in or all-out of the Marvel Universe.

I'm all out.

I get why people like them and I certainly don't begrudge anyone their enjoyment but, eh, not for me. I'm far more excited about the DC movies, warts and all, partly because I have more nostalgia/affection for the characters and universe and because I find the films, whatever their many flaws, to be more interesting on more levels.

Flip this, and it pretty much explains why I'm interested in Marvel movies and not DC. My DC experience as a kid was Superman movies and the old campy Batman TV show. In comics, it was almost all Marvel (mostly X-Men), and the DC stuff I read occasionally and had some affection for was stuff that will probably never see the light of day in their movies (I had some Captain Marvel reprints, as well as an occasional issue of the 1980s Justice League when it was all Guy Gardner and Blue Beetle and Booster Gold). And Deadman.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:57 pm 

Pretty sure there's a Captain Marvel movie in the works with The Rock as Black Adam. DC's Captain Marvel, not to be confused with Marvel's Captain Marvel, being released not far apart.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:17 pm 
HMFIC

Wow. That, I might be interested in.

And to be honest, Wonder Woman looks like it might be good. But so far, Marvel has been reliable, and DC has just been reliably bad, post-Nolan.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:20 pm 

Nyah, Batman V Superman is going to be one of those cult-classic films in 20 years.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:26 am 
HMFIC

We'll see, but I don't think so.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:17 am 
Black Hole

Cru wrote:
I'm far more excited about the DC movies, warts and all, partly because I have more nostalgia/affection for the characters and universe

This is unquestionably a huge factor for me. The Marvel comics were a huge part of my childhood. DC comics, not so much. I don't think the Marvel movies are art by any means, nor do they aspire to be, but they manage to recapture some of that "I'm 12 and this is awesome" feeling for me thanks to the connection I already have with this world. Rare to get that in adulthood. And that's really all I want from them.

I do think they're well done for what they are and usually provide exactly what I'm looking for out of these things, even if the common criticism (formulaic, weak scores, weak villains) is on point. They're like reading comics again.

I also think they do just enough to mix things up so that (for me) they don't get too stale. They've all got that quip-y thing going on and tonally don't shift all too much from one another, and none take really big chances or aspire to be anything loftier than an awesome comic book movie, but they blend in just enough aspects of other genres to keep them interesting (to me).

Won't deny for a moment that I'm blinded by fanboyism and nostalgia, though.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:42 am 
Black Hole

Chris Knight wrote:
Not going to shit on it, until I've seen it - but it definitely ripped off reminds me of Arena:

If it's as silly as that, I'll watch it.

And that reminds me of Kirk vs. The Gorn.

:unsure:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:07 am 

Well, to be fair, all of Empire/Full Moon movies were rip offs of Saturday morning cartoons, Italian horror films, and Star Trek episodes. Often all three at the same time.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:41 am 
Sinkhole

caryc wrote:
Since I've heard for years now that Marvel doesn't feel like a stand alone Hulk movie will work...

More like they (Disney) just don't want to put any effort into a movie where all the proceeds go to Universal instead of themselves. I'm guessing the deal they worked out with Sony for sharing stand-alone Spider-Man film profits is more in their favor. In the meantime, they'll just keep plugging Hulk into their other movies for as long as they're allowed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:10 am 
Black Hole

I believe they have the rights to a standalone Hulk, it's just the distribution rights that Universal still holds onto. So that's some bank they wouldn't get.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:10 am 

Shoe wrote:
I don't think the Marvel movies are art by any means, nor do they aspire to be, but they manage to recapture some of that "I'm 12 and this is awesome" feeling for me thanks to the connection I already have with this world. Rare to get that in adulthood. And that's really all I want from them.

I do think they're well done for what they are and usually provide exactly what I'm looking for out of these things, even if the common criticism (formulaic, weak scores, weak villains) is on point. They're like reading comics again.

That's a pretty fair and accurate assessment.

I'll probably wind up checking out Guardians of the Galaxy 2 at some point because my wife is legit excited for that one.

It bears noting that I bought my daughter an equal number of Marvel and DC 12-inch figures (Spider-man and Iron Man vs. Superman and Batman), and it was the DC characters she gravitated to. Maybe there's a genetic component to comic fanboy/girl-ism.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:54 am 

Cru wrote:

It bears noting that I bought my daughter an equal number of Marvel and DC 12-inch figures (Spider-man and Iron Man vs. Superman and Batman), and it was the DC characters she gravitated to. Maybe there's a genetic component to comic fanboy/girl-ism.

No, it's just that DC is more girly.

:wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:21 pm 

Hahahaha.

One word, dude: Dazzler.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:27 am 
Sinkhole

I'm showing all the MCU movies to my 8-year old daughter right now, because she saw me watching the new Thor trailer and wants to see it with me in the theater. My 6-year old son is sorta interested, but not fully into it yet. I'll probably at least show him the Avengers films, since all the action should be up his alley.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:54 am 

OdisN wrote:
I'm showing all the MCU movies to my 8-year old daughter right now, because she saw me watching the new Thor trailer and wants to see it with me in the theater. My 6-year old son is sorta interested, but not fully into it yet. I'll probably at least show him the Avengers films, since all the action should be up his alley.

This is exactly what happened with my daughter and I. She had no interest in comics or the MCU at first but we were talking about the books she was reading and it was obvious she was going to get into them. We watched the films leading up to Avengers and then saw that one together in the theater. She loved it and now we don't miss them. We're waiting until this weekend to see Guardians 2. That's been her favorite so far.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:36 pm 
HMFIC

My 7-year-old son is up to date, having seen Guardians 2 on Saturday. He loved it, though I was a bit worried while watching that some of the jokes were a little blue.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:50 pm 

I saw Guardians 2. Was bored throughout, had a couple laughs. That is all.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:38 am 

We saw Guardians 2 on Friday. Both of us (my daughter and I) liked it but thought the first was better. That's probably because it was so new to us where this was familiar territory now. Still, I thought it hit the right notes and was a fun popcorn movie. I'll see it again when it hits home video.