It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:06 pm 
Black Hole

Guardians 2 was a hoot. Even more bonkers than the first (which may or may not be a good thing depending on your tastes). Funny, good action, more overtly a comedy than the first one.

The bottom line is that if you liked the first, chances are good you will like this one (as long as you go in expecting it to be totally bonkers), and if you didn't, there's almost no chance you'll like this.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:25 pm 

I liked the first but maybe it was more novel back in 2014 or whenever it came out.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:28 am 
HMFIC

Looks like generic-Marvel-trailer, but with African accents and black music.

Hope they keep the music, rather than going for a bland superhero theme. Give it a bit of its own flavor, sort of like the music from Luke Cage colored the series.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:50 am 

How did all those people dancing in the cliffs get there?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:04 am 
HMFIC

Hovercars.

Jesus, didn't you watch the trailer?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:31 am 
Black Hole

I dig the trailer because it's a different vibe that previous Marvel stuff. It looks like it's going to full-on embrace its Africanness.

I'm sure at its core the story will adhere to the Marvel formula, of course, but the new window dressing will be cool.

Plus, Black Panther is BADASS.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:32 pm 
HMFIC

Does Spider-Man: Homecoming go here, or elsewhere?

Fun. Felt like Spider-Man, largely because much of the runtime was spent on Peter Parker's personal problems. I'll probably be alone in this, but I liked seeing Gwyneth Paltrow back. And it was funny. Though I brought Jack, and so could've done with a bit less profanity.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:04 pm 

It can be anywhere.

Eric, what's the deal with Gwyneth Paltrow? I've heard this echoed elsewhere, I never thought she had much of a character in these films so I'm unsure if its love of the actress or the character.

I was pretty surprised by the profanity in the film as well. Not bothered by it, just didn't think the studios would be comfortable with it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:58 pm 
HMFIC

Paltrow isn't much of a character herself, but her presence, I think, is sort of important to Tony Stark's redemption. In Civil War, he was a darker character for not having her around. And I think her character is funny. But I know some people absolutely hate her.

I noticed the profanity as well, especially as I took my 7-year-old, figuring that the Marvel movies so far have been pretty benign. We had a conversation in the car on the way home about the fact that there were some words in that movie I didn't want to hear him saying.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:31 pm 

Is "Penis Parker" really that harsh of an expletive in this day and age? Aunt May dropping a clipped-off F-Bomb was the only really objectional profanity, and they've been including one in each X-Men movie since First Class. Granted, if I were seeing this with very young kids, it might bother me more, but I grew up in the age when Spielberg tots swore like sailors in movies like E.T. and The Goonies, and when my dad took me to see Beverly Hills Cop at the age of 10.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:30 am 
HMFIC

Yeah, I was thinking about ET at the same time I was cringing because my son was hearing "Penis Parker." And I was thinking about how your average sci-fi movie when I was a kid would have tits in it and nobody would bat an eye.

We shelter kids more now, certainly.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:35 am 

Eric wrote:
We shelter kids more now, certainly.

I had to coin the phrase "80's PG" for my sister when she showed Sixteen Candles to my niece a few years back, and was mortified that there was a topless female shower scene in the first five minutes. Nowadays, there's essentially zero difference between PG and G, only maybe with a little more latitude towards "rude humor" and "thematic elements" in the former. Personally, if the worst thing a kid under twelve hears in a Spider-Man movie is "Penis", they just shows how comparatively sanitized a lot of the movies and TV aimed at them these days is. We grew up listening to kids actually talking like kids back in the day, and we turned out okay. Like hearing a couple of girls playing the "Fuck/Marry/Kill" game with the Avengers in Homecoming, but they of course just say "F", which NO teenager has ever done in real life when hanging with their peers with no parental units in the immediate vicinity.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:18 pm 

I thought they said "shit" once or twice.

This struck me as a film that could skew younger in demographic, that was the only reason it stood out to me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:09 pm 
Black Hole

Okay, my real comments:

Yeah, they are skirting what's comfortable when it comes to language. i'm not a prude in that regard, but CONTEXT, and when it comes to Spider-Man, I feel like "asshole" and "penis" are out of context.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:40 pm 
HMFIC

My wife would've freaked out.

I realize he's going to hear that shit. I told him I didn't want to hear it from him.

Given the way our students talk and the fact that my wife works at the same school I do, I'm sort of surprised she'd freak out. But she would.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:44 pm 
Black Hole

Shoe Jr. totally curses in front of us (he's 20), F Bombs and all.

I surprised myself by being WAY against it. I hate it. It rubs me the wrong way. It really bothers me.

But he's fucking 20, right? So what do I say?

Don't get me wrong, I DID tell him it bothered me.

But you can't control that shit anymore, and we let him be free with his language growing up as long as it was appropriate and in the right company. To his credit, I don't think I heard my first cuss from him until he was about 18, though he was free to do it sooner.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:36 am 
HMFIC

I swear in front of my parents.

I don't think I did at 20, though.

And I don't want to hear it at 7. I distinctly remember not even knowing most curse words in 1st grade.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:27 am 

My daughter curses like a pirate, but never in front of me. She accidentally let a "shit" slip out when she was 16, and left the room because she was so embarrassed. It was cute, and I laughed so hard at her reaction. I never once told her she wasn't allowed to curse in front of me, but I have (generally) never used profanity around her - and I'm pretty sure that rubbed off on her.

As for movies, I let her watch anything growing up, except for violent stuff. Language and nudity (not hardcore sex) are completely fine for any child, and is nothing compared to seeing someone's head being blown off (something most parents are totally fine with in this country). I think when she was about 13 or 14, I let her watch whatever she wanted, and she's turned out alright. She did inherit my road rage, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:56 am 

I've tried to keep my language clean in front of my nieces and nephews while they were growing up, but now that the oldest ones are over 18, I'm not nearly as rigorous at it. Hell, I've been introducing Quentin Tarantino and John Carpenter and Die Hard flicks to my nephew lately, so it's kind of hard to keep self-censoring myself while he's hearing lines like, "Yippie-kai-yay, motherfucker...!"

Pretty much the only movie scenes I'm iffy about showing him are ones with heavy sexuality. If it's a flash of boob during a co-ed locker-room scene in Robocop, that's one thing, but it'd be awkward as fuck to sit down with him to watch Basic Instinct or whatever.

I have been toughening the kid up with a lot of the movies we've been having double-features of lately, though...he's big into zombies thanks to The Walking Dead, so we started off on a lighter note with Shaun Of The Dead, and have worked through Night Of The Living Dead (the grandfather of the entire genre), and will take in Dawn Of The Dead tomorrow. I also showed him a Kurt Russell double-feature with Escape From New York and The Thing a few weeks ago, and he jumped about five feet during the "blood test" scene in the latter, which proves that the movie still has it. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:04 pm 
Black Hole

I don't trust people that don't swear.

Fuck them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:28 am 
Black Hole

New Black Panther trailer:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:22 am 

Here's hoping the sequel puts him up against the Pink Panther.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:29 pm 

[cue obligatory "will this be the first Marvel bomb?" predictions]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:15 pm 

Monterey Jack wrote:
[cue obligatory "will this be the first Marvel bomb?" predictions]

The shot at 9 seconds in says no. The audience will just as manipulated as every other Marvel film released in the last decade.
The real question is, are Chinese audiences as racist as American audiences?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:49 pm 
Pollution Baby

I am tired of these mutha fucking Black Panthers in my mutha fucking universe.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:51 pm 
Pollution Baby

At least it isn't breaking the Marvel Movie Universe original story mold by pitting him against someone different from himself. Gotta save something for part II.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:00 pm 

Yeah, I think this is going to be a pretty big hit for Marvel. No worries there. The only thing will be if all the hype about how this breaks the normal Marvel mold is bullshit (which I suspect it is) and there's finally a backlash about that. I like the Marvel movies because they're fun and light and I know what I'm getting but there's definitely a formula and I hear more and more people complain about that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:06 pm 
Black Hole

Ericubus wrote:
At least it isn't breaking the Marvel Movie Universe original story mold by pitting him against someone different from himself. Gotta save something for part II.

That's a conscious and purposeful decision on their part. As Kevin Feige explains it, you're already introducing the audience to some fantastic concept and origin, having to get them up to speed on it, and getting them to be on board for it. Try to do two different things and it can get messy; you're finding out about the hero and then also have to wrap your head around how some meteor or something turned some other dude into a bad guy, then bring the two together by some coincidence or something.

Cleaner and tighter to stick with the concept you've already laid out, so iron guy fights iron guy, magic guy fights magic guy, super soldier fights super soldier, etc., with the two of them being connected in some way.

I'm not married to the idea and agree, it does fall into pure formula, but it is a formula that makes sense.

Whether it's still necessary anymore is a bigger question. I think at this point, audiences have proven they are along for the Marvel ride. They could pretty safely tear up the formula and ignore it if they wanted.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:12 pm 
Pollution Baby

Yes, I was complaining that they are still doing it. It is now obvious to most and has become an issue. Plus, they have already introduced this character in Civil War, so they could have used this one to break out and have some more interesting fighting instead of who punches harder in the same costume.

Also... action films are at their best when the action continues and tells the story, not just fighting for fighting sake, and Marvel has been falling more and more into putting the story on hold for a cool CGI fight sequence, and this looks like it will be more of the same. They can still be fun that way, but not something most people will want to revisit after the initial coolness.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:22 pm 

For the Marvel fans, does Hulk have a history of fighting giant dogs in comics?
Spoiler: show
That's two films where he has fought giant dogs. I don't get it. Are dogs his arch nemesis?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:40 pm 
HMFIC

The third Thor was FAR more fun than the 2nd. Frequently felt a bit too much like the Team Thor, though. The second tried too hard to be epic and the third tried too hard to be a comedy, and if I think the latter approach was by far the better way to fail, I still like the first one best.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:59 pm 
Black Hole

brian wrote:
For the Marvel fans, does Hulk have a history of fighting giant dogs in comics?
Spoiler: show
That's two films where he has fought giant dogs. I don't get it. Are dogs his arch nemesis?

In fact, yes. Two of his three most famous arch-villains are dog-related, his origin story is heavy with dogs, part of his powers are derived from dogs, and I made all that up.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:01 pm 
Black Hole

Eric wrote:
The third Thor was FAR more fun than the 2nd. Frequently felt a bit too much like the Team Thor, though. The second tried too hard to be epic and the third tried too hard to be a comedy, and if I think the latter approach was by far the better way to fail, I still like the first one best.

I liked it pretty well, I had fun with it, but despite being eager to see it found myself a bit let down. While everyone else is gushing, I'm like, "That was solid middle of the pack Marvel."

I did like that they tried to mix up the tone and formula, but some of the humor was forced, and I actually had some issues with the direction.

That said, Cate Blanchett and Tessa Thompson were both OFF THE HOOK, and as always, Hulk stole every scene he was in.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:11 pm 
HMFIC

I enjoyed playing spot-the-reference, having read through that long Simonson run six months or a year ago. But I agree the humor was occasionally forced.

I enjoyed it. But Thor going from "goofy and borderline-incompetent" to "deciding the fate of worlds in an epic clash of titans" was whiplash-inducing.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:03 pm 

Shoe wrote:
Eric wrote:

I liked it pretty well, I had fun with it, but despite being eager to see it found myself a bit let down. While everyone else is gushing, I'm like, "That was solid middle of the pack Marvel."

I did like that they tried to mix up the tone and formula, but some of the humor was forced, and I actually had some issues with the direction.

That said, Cate Blanchett and Tessa Thompson were both OFF THE HOOK, and as always, Hulk stole every scene he was in.

I liked about 30 minutes of the film. I was actually incredibly annoyed with the first act because the humor seemed so forced, but a good chunk of the theater seemed to be into it. Jeff Goldblum brought some fun. Then I tuned back out during the ending.

What was the post-credit scene? More purple guy looking at stones?