It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:19 pm 

JFelix wrote:
I think if you continue to be as excited for a new Marvel movie as you were for the last 50 which were the exact same goddamn movie over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again, you're out of your fucking mind.

I would have loved these when I was younger. Being jaded sucks. Glad these movies are here for people that like them.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:23 pm 

Shoe wrote:
But the superhero thing is, of course, not for everyone.

Villains, for instance.

I love superhero films - Logan was excellent, enjoyed First Class, I love Nolan's Batman films and Snyder's Superman films. There hasn't been one Disney Marvel film that I've loved completely. Spider-Man Homecoming came close. It's been ages since I've watched Raimi's Spider-Man films, so I can't comment if they still hold up.

If I was a writer, I'd probably give you several pages on how I want my film to challenge me as a viewer, but instead I'll just say I'm bored by most of the Marvel films. That doesn't mean I dislike superhero films.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:41 pm 
Singularity ∞

Logan and the Nolan movies are barely superhero movies. The Nolan flicks are crime thrillers where the protagonist wears a funny outfit. Take away Logan's healing and virtually nothing about the story changes. It's a bloody road movie that features some characters who had been in some superhero movies.

That's not a complaint. I love three out of the four of these (Dark Knight Rises was trash), but they succeed creatively because they ignored the trappings of the genre.

First Class was very good, though I don't see how it was challenging in any way.

Snyder's Superman movies were ambitious creative failures, introducing lofty ideas and then utterly failing to explore them in any way. They're fascinating to unpeel and he's a stunningly good visual director, but they are also hot garbage (and they're made by a man who doesn't seem to understand the idea of heroism).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:48 pm 

Sure, and Marvel films are movies where guys make jokes and beat up bad guys, and have boring cinematography and music.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:52 pm 
Singularity ∞

Sure, that's fine.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:57 pm 

Glad we agree.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:36 am 
Black Hole

brian wrote:
I would have loved these when I was younger. Being jaded sucks. Glad these movies are here for people that like them.

What about "off-brand" Superhero movies like Kick-Ass and Super?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:56 pm 

Never watch Rainn Wilson in any context.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:05 pm 

JFelix wrote:
Never watch Rainn Wilson in any context.

This is where you're wrong:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:23 pm 

Pender wrote:
brian wrote:

What about "off-brand" Superhero movies like Kick-Ass and Super?

Never saw Super, Kick-Ass had its moments and was a fine way to spend a few hours at the theater.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:45 pm 

I've been watching the Punisher today and I've never seen anyone take this ass whipping that he's taking and keep going. Maybe someone should have told the people making this show that Frank Castle doesn't have super powers.

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:07 am 
Black Hole

John Carter wrote:
I've been watching the Punisher today and I've never seen anyone take this ass whipping that he's taking and keep going. Maybe someone should have told the people making this show that Frank Castle doesn't have super powers.

Unless you've finished it, you have not seen anything yet.

The "beatdown recovery" rate of Frank in the Netflix series might be on-par with Wolverine or Wile E. Coyote.

But in the Marvel CBU, the Punisher is about as close to being Captain America-level of physical fitness and durability without being a "super soldier":

Quote:
Maximum Human Conditioning: Through rigorous training & exercise regimes, he had developed that strength, speed, endurance, stamina, longevity, reflexes and agility that are at the near the limits of a super-soldier’s inhuman capabilities.

Granted, most people haven't followed the Punisher as closely as myself (or other nerd basket cases) and would not know these data.

8-)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:59 am 

I finished The Punisher that night and Frank Castle can take an ass whippin' better than any fictional character I've ever seen. That said I really enjoyed the series.

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:31 am 
Singularity ∞

That stood out to me as well. The only reason why I gave it a pass is because they had him injected with adrenaline after his major beatdown, which is kind of comic book for "all better now!"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:13 am 
Black Hole

Punisher spoilers.

Spoiler: show
My LT here just finished it the other day and he complained that Frank didn't kill his main, former buddy, nemesis.

I enjoyed that he saw that Billy Russo was very much himself (the ripping of his face in a broken mirror was a nice touch, too) and decided that letting him live was the real punishment. So, as Frank himself yearns for the release of some sort of valiant combative death, he holds back his natural urge to kill Billy.

And although it made sense to me, if not my LT, the scene still stood out far more than Frank's capacity for taking a beating.

The show definitely hit all the right notes for comic book story elevated to a graphic novel-level TV.

:hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:09 pm 

Pender wrote:
Punisher spoilers.

My LT here just finished it the other day and he complained that Frank didn't kill his main, former buddy, nemesis.

I enjoyed that he saw that Billy Russo was very much himself (the ripping of his face in a broken mirror was a nice touch, too) and decided that letting him live was the real punishment. So, as Frank himself yearns for the release of some sort of valiant combative death, he holds back his natural urge to kill Billy.

And although it made sense to me, if not my LT, the scene still stood out far more than Frank's capacity for taking a beating.

The show definitely hit all the right notes for comic book story elevated to a graphic novel-level TV.

:hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole:

I think that was to create one of the great Punisher victims Jigsaw.

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:32 pm 
Black Hole

John Carter wrote:
I think that was to create one of the great Punisher victims Jigsaw.

I agree and that seems to be the general consensus of everyone online.

But the actual villain that you name was never like he was in the series (other than his vanity).

I recognized the name when he came around and was like, "hey, what the fuck?"

But, I didn't want to spoil it for Karen.

It was a well-written way of doing things, IMHO.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:26 pm 
Singularity ∞

So, it looks like the rights to do X-Men, Fantastic Four, and other movies are back with Marvel:

http://www.ibtimes.co.in/sorry-deadpool ... eal-752102

It will be huge all over the news soon, I'm sure.

Super stoked to have the Fantastic Four and related characters coming to the MCU.

X-Men, not so much. I'm content with it being its own thing over in the corner for now. Bring 'em in later if they need a big boost, but for now? Eh.

Fantastic Four, though? YEEESSS!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:09 pm 

I would love to see a really good FF movie but how about a stand alone Silver Surfer movie.

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:25 pm 
Singularity ∞

I'd be all over it. With the two GotG movies and Ragnarok, Marvel has proven they're willing to go totally bonkers with cosmic stuff. Bring it on!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:39 pm 

Shoe wrote:
So, it looks like the rights to do X-Men, Fantastic Four, and other movies are back with Marvel:

http://www.ibtimes.co.in/sorry-deadpool ... eal-752102

It will be huge all over the news soon, I'm sure.

Super stoked to have the Fantastic Four and related characters coming to the MCU.

X-Men, not so much. I'm content with it being its own thing over in the corner for now. Bring 'em in later if they need a big boost, but for now? Eh.

Fantastic Four, though? YEEESSS!!!!

I hope they Kirby the hell out of it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:54 am 

A Kirby style Silver Surfer film might make me shit my pants with excitement.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:09 pm 
Singularity ∞

Second season of Punisher is confirmed:

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/940688215475965952

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:40 am 
Black Hole

Shoe wrote:
Second season of Punisher is confirmed:

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/940688215475965952

:thumbs:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:45 am 

I'm five episodes in now and I like it better than DD Season 2 and Iron Fist so far. I'll wait to make a final judgment until I finish, but right now it's hitting all the beats I was hoping it would.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:04 pm 
HMFIC

Anybody try to watch Inhumans?

Stalled out about 4 episodes in. It kind of sucks.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:26 pm 
Singularity ∞

I watched it all.

But yes, it sucked. If it was just the first episode and the last it wouldn't have been too bad, but they stretched out an already thin story, and Game of Thrones Guy's one-note monologues got reallllly tiring,

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:45 pm 
HMFIC

On the other hand, Runaways is actually pretty fun, at least through episode 6. Some inconsistent characterization, especially with the parents, but I actually want to find out what happens next, unlike Inhumans.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:52 pm 
Singularity ∞

Haven't started watching it yet, but I've heard decent things about it. It's in my queue. I've been on a Clone Wars and Rebels binge of late. Just finished, so I may rotate around to Runaways soon.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:57 pm 

Shoe wrote:
Clone Wars

Hey, I just started this again...I need more star wars!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:02 am 
Singularity ∞

I had been telling myself I wanted to do it just to try my hand at it, and last night after getting my day's work done I kind of zoned out on it and ended up working until 4am on a personal project:

Editing Thor Ragnarok to create a less zany version.

Which yes, I know, I know, completely eliminates what made it so appealing to so many people!

And believe me, I loved the movie, too. But I was curious how it would play with less of the over-the-top humor.

Trimmed 17 minutes of footage overall, way more than I expected, with all cuts focused on the goofiest stuff.

It's a bit rough around the edges. I was working with a leaked digital copy and did not (and will not) get into the hardcore fan editing stuff like separating music and dialogue tracks, slicing up the soundtrack to build new music cues, etc., all of which is usually necessary to get a truly seamless edit. I just worked with what I had (which means a few things remain I'd have cut but that I couldn't because of the background music).

For a single night quick and dirty, it came out okay. I'd say most cuts are fairly invisible. Some are noticeable, in large part because my software (Movavi) is pretty shit for audio work (and because I wasn't willing to do a deep dive on doing it right), but it's a personal project purely for myself, so I'm satisfied.

Plus, it told me I'm capable of doing a serviceable fan edit if I want to.

I may tinker with it here and there to patch a few places, but mostly I'll live with it being rough around the edges.

I may be uploading it for a friend this weekend, so if anyone is interested in checking it out, let me know and I'll get you a link. I saved it as a 3.5gb file and can probably do a smaller version as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:12 pm 

Can you make it entertaining?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:14 pm 
Singularity ∞

Not for you.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:44 am 
Black Hole

I would like to look, please.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:19 am 

I would also be interested in seeing this cut.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next