It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:19 pm 
Singularity ∞

Yeah, the Homecoming timeline doesn't fully jive. Same with the reference to how long ago the attack on New York took place. It says the movie takes place 8 years after the Avengers, but that't not right. The movies for the most part take place in 'real time,' with the events of the Avengers occurring in 2012.

Minor nitpicks, though.

With Tony and Peter's moment, it's the tail end of what has been a surprisingly good 10-year character arc for him. The selfish narcissist who decides to do some good in the world is a cliche, but then after that first movie he comes to grips with his responsibility for others, sacrifices himself and gets wracked with PTSD, tries to retire but gets obsessed with developing something that will prevent his traumatic experience from ever happening again, has a huge falling out with his friend and ally due in no small part to his obsession, takes a young kid under his wing, and now, loses that kid just as he and Pepper were starting to talk about a real future together.

Again, it's something where a decade of intertwined stories pays off because going into this, most of these characters already had a good history behind them.

Even someone who is a newcomer, like Black Panther, is here in his third movie. We know who is he and what he's about, allowing Infinity War to just get on with it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:49 pm 
HMFIC

Shoe wrote:
I give the writers credit. All the characters were consistent with how they've been written. Their voice was captured perfectly throughout. Watched as a chapter in an ongoing story, everyone feels right.

I don't disagree. And reading back over what I wrote, it could be read as saying that I do. I was complaining about mischaracterization in comic-book crossovers, but the thing here is that there's mostly lots of plot. Which is also a characteristic of those crossovers.

Of course, there's stuff like Thor, who's been written very differently from film to film. This one was consistent, but it was very much consistent with the Thor: Ragnarok version.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:57 pm 

Saw it a second time tonight with my brother, and where the hell did Elizabeth Olsen's accent go? It got totally Halle Berry'd.

Shoe wrote:
Yeah, the Homecoming timeline doesn't fully jive. Same with the reference to how long ago the attack on New York took place. It says the movie takes place 8 years after the Avengers, but that's not right.

Tony specifically says that New York took place "six years ago" when talking to Doc Strange.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:01 pm 
Singularity ∞

Right, Tony gets it correct. 2018 - 6 = 2012, the year Avengers came out. Homecoming puts the Avengers as taking place in 2009, which isn't accurate. I was surprised they didn't correct it on the home release, since I'm pretty sure the reference is in a title card, not dialogue.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:33 pm 

Shoe wrote:
Right, Tony gets it correct. 2018 - 6 = 2012, the year Avengers came out. Homecoming puts the Avengers as taking place in 2009, which isn't accurate. I was surprised they didn't correct it on the home release, since I'm pretty sure the reference is in a title card, not dialogue.

I noticed that too.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:23 am 
Pollution Baby

What a great film to take a bunch of kids to for my son's 10th birthday. Just a non-stop rollercoaster ride of fun.

The first few minutes were filled with my wife staring at me, wide eyed, saying, "Really?!?" "Eh, they're just setting up the drama, like Bambi's mom dying, no worries." So glad it ended on a up note.

We spent most of the car ride afterwards talking about all the fun and cool stuff, and that there will obviously be a sequel and I'm sure that time stone will play a big part.

I don't wanna die, Mr. Stark.

Mother fucker

Besides that, the kids actually did love it, the parts they watched when they weren't blocking their eyes or rocking back and forth banging their heads, so that's a positive takeaway.

For me, there are a couple of nitpicks, and things I wished they did or did better, like...

Rocket
When he was all fur bulging about getting to go to the big gun factory of the gods and when he actually got there was more background noise then what I thought he was going to do which was manipulate them to build him something or teach him how to. That is who Rocket is.

Thanos Minions
I'm not referring to them by name because neither did the film. With all the heroes fully set up and built and known, we could have gotten more time with either Thanos and his motivation (which we see an abridged version of), or get to know his kickass minions a bit better before they become hero fodder.

Thanos' Love
Thanos loves Death, that is his character's whole thing. The character Death, not killing in general. So the scene with Gamora and the tear was a slap in the face of people that know this about him.

I did really like the Guardians sections, and how they played off the other heroes, and how Dr. Strange's ego fought Tony Stark's ego, that was enjoyable.
I was good to see them take the risk with the down ending, and the way they set up the eventual victory in the sequel.

:hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :half: :nohole:

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:00 am 
Singularity ∞

That is hilarious in a sad way. I've seen quite a few people tell stories like this, too, of kids sitting in the theater kind of shellshocked at what they just saw.

Even though we know a bunch of this gets 'fixed' in the next movie, it's still a pretty bold move to end your movie that way. It's about as definitive a bad guy win as it gets.

And the opening, that was surprising and brutal. I did warn another friend that while the movie can be a little heavy at times and the language is a little more raw than past movies, it's still on par with the others and mostly fine for kids - except that opening scene, which is out of left field and quite bleak. Tough way to start when it comes to watching with kids.

As far Thanos, the change in motivation was great, I thought. I always liked his weird lovesick motivation from the comics, but this is a little more grounded and gives his quest a twisted kind of nobility, like he's doing all the wrong things for all the right reasons. For him, it's about doing the ultimate good thing, making the ultimate sacrifice for the greater good. Added a lot of weight to what he did.

Brolin really nailed it, too.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:00 pm 
Pollution Baby

Shoe wrote:

As far Thanos, the change in motivation was great, I thought. I always liked his weird lovesick motivation from the comics, but this is a little more grounded and gives his quest a twisted kind of nobility, like he's doing all the wrong things for all the right reasons. For him, it's about doing the ultimate good thing, making the ultimate sacrifice for the greater good. Added a lot of weight to what he did.

Brolin really nailed it, too.

Yes, of course, but no, no it isn't, it's fucking dumb. Lets assume there are not nearly infinite resources available in a universe filled with species that can travel wherever they want in reasonable amount of time, but even if resources are somehow running low due to overpopulation of the universe, even dropping that number by half would only delay that outcome, not prevent it. So Thanos, an immortal, is really into buying time and pretending that is the best solution.

No. It's fucking stupid.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:07 pm 
Singularity ∞

Well obviously. There's no such thing as a smart or sensible reason for genocide. You can also argue that if the Stones make him that powerful, why not just create more resources so that all those people can live? It would be a lot more humane than wiping everyone out.

But that's not how fanaticism works.

The guy was traumatized and thought he had this brilliant solution to the hurt he saw in the universe. He became a religious fanatic of a belief system of his own creation. He's not the only one to have such ideas, either. Real world people have thought similar thoughts.

So sure, when you look close at his plan it's like, "No, dude, that's a bad plan," but it's not meant to be a genuinely good plan, it's just meant to a believable motivation.

And I'd say it's totally believable. There are loads of people out there right now who think wiping out half the globe would be good for the Earth, and who can offer a seemingly decent argument for it, until you dig deeper.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:26 pm 
Pollution Baby

I'd like to think he is smarter than that. He should be.
Those on Earth that currently thinking that, and yes I've read the monument, are also limiting that on just this planet. The universe is a ratio of a different caliber.

It is dumb, just dumb, and no rationalisation is going to make it not dumb.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:31 pm 
Singularity ∞

If you think he should be smarter than that, I don't know how you can then endorse his comics motivation, which is that he wants to kill trillions in order to impress a girl.

That's dumber by leaps and bounds. It's teenager shit.

At least here, there is a twisted kind of justice in his mind, and a sense of loss and sacrifice to go with the good he thinks he's doing.

That's a wee bit better than doing it all for the nookie.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:50 pm 
Pollution Baby

Because the girl he wants to impress is Death, it makes sense to impress her with killing. Writing that as the motivation for that character maybe a teenager bullshit move, but it makes sense for the character.

Writing that his motivation is a twisted sense of doing right, or showing that we all have good and bad within is (which is right on the cusp of being a trope nowadays) is more interesting, but doing it in that way is fucking dumb dumb shit, lazy writing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:51 pm 
Singularity ∞

I feel like you're being over the top for the sake of effect.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:52 pm 
Pollution Baby

Ya, I did kill off half my brain to complete this thought.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:03 am 
Singularity ∞

The new trailer for the next Ant-Man is a hoot, and is maybe a wee better for the kids than Infinity War:

(This movie is meant to take place before Infinity War, which is why ... you know.)

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:43 am 

Marvel was smart to throw this in right after Infinity War, as a tasty "dessert" after that heavy meal. I really dug the first one, and am looking forward to this.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:03 am 
Singularity ∞

The first one managed to overcome a weak villain and strict adherence to formula with warmth and good humor. It wasn't great cinema, but it was good fun. Michael Pena stole the show, and I'm always up for seeing more Evangeline Lily.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:37 pm 

Yeah, Ant-Man quickly jumped into my Marvel Favorites. It was just a really fun heist movie with a superhero. I also loved his appearance in Civil War. I'm very much looking forward to this one.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 12:11 pm 
Black Hole

∞ WAR - :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :half:

Merbel was great.

I loved the jolly opening scene and the romping all the way to the end where Fury playfully texts his friends.

Good times.

The "10 YEARS" in the title card is for the first MCU film, which was IRON MAN in 2008.

Wasn't that obvious?

Strange had to have shared the 1 in 14 billion plan to Stark, so this has to be the "only way" for a win in the end.

Loved it all. Hearts. Lots of tears.

:cry:

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 5:54 am 

If events played out any other way, Fury wouldn't have sent that text.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:53 pm 

Watched Black Panther. All the plot devices are set up in the first 5 minutes, and there's nothing new here at all, especially in the Marvel universe. However, it felt right, and I had a blast. Also, despite Hollywood's tendency to tint everyone orange, this film was surprisingly colourful (like Thor Ragnarok). So, thumbs up. Fun movie - just wish the last decade of Disney superhero films could have been more like this and Ragnarok.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:48 am 

Finally saw Infinity War on Friday. I give it a solid four stars too. I had a great time and loved how they kept the plot moving forward. There were very few slow parts in the film. My only complaint is that there's so much packed in that I feel I need to see it again to make sure I get the facts straight. Less than thirty minutes after walking out of the theater, my daughter and I were both having trouble remembering who did and didn't make it to the end.

Really looking forward to part 2 though.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:41 am 
Singularity ∞

caryc wrote:
my daughter and I were both having trouble remembering who did and didn't make it to the end.

Spoiler: show
With just a small few exceptions, only the original (movie) Avengers survived the Snap. Everyone else was Snapped away. The entire Guardians team is gone, too (unless you count Nebula, who is alive with Tony Stark on Thanos' home world).

I think the idea is going to be that to close out this 11-year run of movies, it's going to come fill circle and it will be the original team getting together one last time to save the day.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:41 pm 

Chris Knight wrote:
Also, despite Hollywood's tendency to tint everyone orange

Yeah, I don't think that would have worked for Black Panther.

caryc wrote:
I had a great time and loved how they kept the plot moving forward.

It's pretty easy to keep the plot moving forward when it's "HEY, THANOS IS COMING FOR THIS SPECIFIC INFINITY STONE, WE NEED TO GET HERE - OH GOD, HE WAS ALREADY HERE! NOW WE GOTTA FIGHT" repeated six times in a row.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 6:38 pm 

Chris Knight wrote:
Also, despite Hollywood's tendency to tint everyone orange, this film was surprisingly colourful (like Thor Ragnarok).

2012 called...it wants its Teal & Orange complaint back.

Shoe wrote:
caryc wrote:
my daughter and I were both having trouble remembering who did and didn't make it to the end.

The entire Guardians team is gone, too (unless you count Nebula, who is alive with Tony Stark on Thanos' home world).

Rocket's still around.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:26 pm 

Monterey Jack wrote:

2003, actually, and there has been no slow-down (watch the latest Maze Runner film - every scene is orange and teal).

There is a serious issue with an industry that decides a decade+ worth of media isn't worth the creative license afforded filmmakers from previous generations. Even worse, a cinematographer partially responsible for pushing that look is rewarded with an Oscar in 2018.

So, kindly fuck off with the condescending attitude, and go listen to the fabulous film scores those same films used. Oh, right.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:27 pm 

Chris Knight wrote:
watch the latest Maze Runner film

No thanks.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:05 pm 
Black Hole

The rabbit.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:38 am 

Chris Knight wrote:
Monterey Jack wrote:

2003, actually, and there has been no slow-down (watch the latest Maze Runner film - every scene is orange and teal).

There is a serious issue with an industry that decides a decade+ worth of media isn't worth the creative license afforded filmmakers from previous generations. Even worse, a cinematographer partially responsible for pushing that look is rewarded with an Oscar in 2018.

So, kindly fuck off with the condescending attitude, and go listen to the fabulous film scores those same films used. Oh, right.

Who shit in your breakfast cereal?

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:47 am 

Shoe wrote:
caryc wrote:

With just a small few exceptions, only the original (movie) Avengers survived the Snap. Everyone else was Snapped away. The entire Guardians team is gone, too (unless you count Nebula, who is alive with Tony Stark on Thanos' home world).

I think the idea is going to be that to close out this 11-year run of movies, it's going to come fill circle and it will be the original team getting together one last time to save the day.

I agree with your assessment. I think that's how it will go down also. Our big disagreement was because neither of us could remember if Doctor Strange was still alive.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:42 pm 
Singularity ∞

Doc be down.

Though obviously he knew that would be the case in whatever future he saw.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:49 pm 

The more I think about it, I really did enjoy this. It made good on its promise that people were actually going to die and that the stakes were high.

With it ending where Thanos has won just made it all the better. That last scene where he sits down on the throne was just perfect and so much darker than I think most people anticipated.

In other news, my coworkers went on Saturday to see this. They had a row of giggling teen girls behind them who were constantly talking about who was the cutest onscreen. They obviously had been avoiding spoilers because my friends said most of them were completely in tears by the end...

especially because of Spidey's demise.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:55 pm 

ALSO: Good job only keeping the most boring characters alive, Marvel. You done shot yourself in the goddamn foot for emotional weight and now we're gonna end up with an Avengers sqeuel that's gonna be 80% Hawkeye and motherfuck that shit.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:59 pm 
Singularity ∞

caryc wrote:
They obviously had been avoiding spoilers because my friends said most of them were completely in tears by the end...

Oh god, that scene killed me, despite
knowing it wasn't a "real" death, what with him having a movie coming out right after Avengers 4 and all.

"Mr. Stark, I don't feel so good" and "I don't want to go" was pretty brutal. Tom Holland has been just fantastic in the role, easily my favorite on-screen Peter Parker and Spider-Man.

That scene was beautifully manipulative.

And all credit to them for really going there. A lot of fans of the comic story speculated it would end the way it ended, but I had some doubts. I was glad to have been wrong.

Temporary or not, it was a bold choice to end a big colorful mainstream superhero movie in that way. The heroes beaten at every single turn, up against totally overwhelming odds and NOT pulling victory from their back pocket, half the cast whisked away into dust, and the villain sitting contentedly, truly victorious.

It excites me that I have no bloody idea where the next one is going and how they will unwind all this.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:12 pm 

Shoe wrote:
caryc wrote:
They obviously had been avoiding spoilers because my friends said most of them were completely in tears by the end...

Oh god, that scene killed me, despite
knowing it wasn't a "real" death, what with him having a movie coming out right after Avengers 4 and all.

"Mr. Stark, I don't feel so good" and "I don't want to go" was pretty brutal. Tom Holland has been just fantastic in the role, easily my favorite on-screen Peter Parker and Spider-Man.

That scene was beautifully manipulative.

And all credit to them for really going there. A lot of fans of the comic story speculated it would end the way it ended, but I had some doubts. I was glad to have been wrong.

Temporary or not, it was a bold choice to end a big colorful mainstream superhero movie in that way. The heroes beaten at every single turn, up against totally overwhelming odds and NOT pulling victory from their back pocket, half the cast whisked away into dust, and the villain sitting contentedly, truly victorious.

It excites me that I have no bloody idea where the next one is going and how they will unwind all this.

Not a spoiler, but speculation!
Cap and Iron man will exchange their souls to bring back half the universe.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next