It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:16 pm 
Singularity ∞

Star Wars no longer moves me or motivates me.

I'll see it for sure, no doubt, 100%, and I'm kind of interested to see what they do with Luke, but I'm totally un-engaged with this next generation story so far, enough so that it wouldn't surprise me if I don't see it until week 3 or 4.

I really like Rian Johnson's work, though, so I'm hoping he'll reinvigorate my spirits (just in time for JJA to sink them again for episode 9, yay!).

I was really excited for Rogue One and love, love, LOVE the idea of peering into unseen corners of the Star Wars universe ...

But then they announced Young Han Solo and I was like, fuck this shit!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:19 pm 

b...buh..but Ron Howard is directing (some of) Young Han Solo.

Hope it's as good as Justice League or F4ntastic Four.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:37 pm 

From what I gather, Howard has essentially re-shot almost all of Han Solo...this isn't a Justice League situation where it's 90% Zack Snyder with 10% of Joss Whedon jokes tossed in at the end of scenes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:41 pm 
Singularity ∞

Ron Howard is a very capable director and I'm sure the movie will be fine, I just have so so so so so little interest in the idea of a Young Han Solo movie I can't even begin to say. This is the exact OPPOSITE of the sort of thing they should be doing to broaden and expand the movie universe.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:45 pm 

If Miller and Lord were fired, it's almost a guaranty that their film would have at least been interesting.

We'll never see a wookie romance flick now.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:17 am 
Black Hole

Shoe wrote:
I was really excited for Rogue One and love, love, LOVE the idea of peering into unseen corners of the Star Wars universe ...

That makes about as much sense as saying you were really excited to eat dinner, but then someone told you that breakfast was going to just be an extremely dry, tasteless breakfast bar, and you let that ruin your dinner.

Not sure how an announcement of a completely different story/movie made you hate a completely separate entity. Maybe you can elaborate?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:30 am 

I'm anxiously awaiting the movie about Gonk.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:38 am 
Singularity ∞

Pender wrote:
Shoe wrote:

That makes about as much sense as saying you were really excited to eat dinner, but then someone told you that breakfast was going to just be an extremely dry, tasteless breakfast bar, and you let that ruin your dinner.

Not sure how an announcement of a completely different story/movie made you hate a completely separate entity. Maybe you can elaborate?

You're reading it all wrong. It didn't ruin my excitement for Rogue One, it ruined my excitement for the idea that there was more to come.

Yeah, it's great that the first part of this four-course meal is pretty excellent, but if the next three courses are all going to be re-heated hamburger helper how about I just take a pass on dinner and leave after the appetizer?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:07 am 

Don't you mean Han-burger helper?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:19 am 
Singularity ∞

Ugh.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:33 am 
Black Hole

Shoe wrote:
Ugh.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank you for explaining. I thought Rogue One was a success.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:51 pm 
HMFIC

I'm not excited like I was excited for Return of the Jedi, when each new TV ad had me running breathless into the other room to tell my parents what new things had been revealed.

Also, I'm not seven anymore.

But I've got tickets to see it with my son on the 16th, and I'm looking forward to that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:06 pm 
Singularity ∞

Your son is going to be so disappointed at the shitty movie and he's going to say, "Dad, why do you keep telling me Star Wars is good? This is awful. Why don't you love me?" and you're going to reach into your pocket where you keep that half-full flask of whiskey and you're going to take a swig, then another swig, and you'll start to explain but you'll start thinking about your own father and where your life has gone and the miserable days you spend at work, wondering how your life skidded so far off the rails, the lousy people you deal with all day, and you'll want to cry but instead you'll say something mean and bitter out of defensiveness, because being vulnerable to your son is too painful and difficult, then you'll finish the flask and you'll drive him home even though he's crying and you know inside he's worried that it's not safe to drive, and you'll know it, too, and you'll get home and your wife will ask you about the movie and you'll say it was "fine" and you'll have another drink and when you both go to sleep your backs will be turned towards one another, and you'll wake up in the morning and won't look yourself in the eye in the mirror, you'll go to work the next day and will make a wry joke about something, but inside you'll be dead.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:15 pm 
HMFIC

Jack loved The Force Awakens, so even though he's been more into the Marvel movies lately, I think you're wrong there. And also about the flask being only half-full.

Otherwise, probably spot-on.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:17 am 
Black Hole

Shoe wrote:
Your son is going to be so disappointed at the shitty movie and he's going to say, "Dad, why do you keep telling me Star Wars is good? This is awful. Why don't you love me?" and you're going to reach into your pocket where you keep that half-full flask of whiskey and you're going to take a swig, then another swig, and you'll start to explain but you'll start thinking about your own father and where your life has gone and the miserable days you spend at work, wondering how your life skidded so far off the rails, the lousy people you deal with all day, and you'll want to cry but instead you'll say something mean and bitter out of defensiveness, because being vulnerable to your son is too painful and difficult, then you'll finish the flask and you'll drive him home even though he's crying and you know inside he's worried that it's not safe to drive, and you'll know it, too, and you'll get home and your wife will ask you about the movie and you'll say it was "fine" and you'll have another drink and when you both go to sleep your backs will be turned towards one another, and you'll wake up in the morning and won't look yourself in the eye in the mirror, you'll go to work the next day and will make a wry joke about something, but inside you'll be dead.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:29 pm 
HMFIC

Also, we're seeing it on a Saturday, so I won't be going to work the next morning. The wry joke and the deadness inside will have to wait until the day after that.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:23 pm 
Singularity ∞

A true mercy, that.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:59 am 
Pollution Baby

We have been counting down with movie nights. Last Friday was The Empire Strikes Back. The release week will be The Force Awakens on Friday followed be The Last Jedi on Saturday, then and only them will I allow my kids to watch what they want.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:50 am 

I just forced myself to watch Force Awakens...first time all the way through since opening night. The plot is still terrible, with everything just happening without any motivation or reason. I think what bugs me the most is that everyone calls each other by their full names, even the droids. Like, Luke called R2-D2, R2. C3-P0 is Threepio. But in this mess, BB-8 is called BB-8. Which just feels dumb. The shining light here is Rey, who just kills it in every scene. Once she realizes she is one with the force, I don't want the film to change gears. But it does, which is a shame. Anyway, I will probably never watch this one again - especially if Last Jedi isn't any better. Score is still Williams' worst effort. You don't actually get to here most of it until the end credits.

I've watched Rogue One 7 or 8 times now, and it just keeps getting better. So, the franchise still has some life left in it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:40 pm 

Chris Knight wrote:
Like, Luke called R2-D2, R2. C3-P0 is Threepio. But in this mess, BB-8 is called BB-8. Which just feels dumb.

Would you prefer him being called "BAIT"?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:00 pm 
Singularity ∞

Chris Knight wrote:
The shining light here is Rey, who just kills it in every scene.

Yeah, she's wonderful, and easily my favorite part of the movie.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:28 pm 

Daisy Ridley has the most dazzling smile in recent memory.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:56 pm 
Singularity ∞

I'm way hotter for Felicity Jones, but Ridley brings a load of JOY to the Rey character that I really like. It's infectious.

I'll hang out with Daisy Ridley and make English muffin pizzas and play Mario Kart, but Felicity Jones needs to have my babies.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:12 pm 

Shoe wrote:
I'm way hotter for Felicity Jones, but Ridley brings a load of JOY to the Rey character that I really like. It's infectious.

I love that moment when she fixes the Falcon's hyperdrive and has that infectious grin, and Harrison Ford is kind of looking at her like, "Wow". :lol:

Love me some Felicity Jones, too, but character-wise, Rey is far better than Whatshername from Rogue One. I liked that film, but can barely remember who the characters were (aside from the droid), and for a Star Wars movie, that's a problem. For all the grousing about Force Awakens being a retread of New Hope, it's Ridley's delightful, charismatic performance that holds it together. The whole new cast is what held that movie together. The moment early on that sold me on it was when Oscar Isaac's Poe Dameron was brought before Kylo Ren, and there was a pregnant, suspenseful pause, and he quipped, "So, how does this work, you go first, I go first..." I remember the whole audience chuckling, and I felt all of the Pleasedon'tsuck tension I had building in me since the new movies were announced immediately loosen up and start to dissipate. That's what was missing from the stilted, joyless Prequels...simple personality. I like all of the new characters, each one played by a charismatic, talented actor actually allowed to inject glimmers of spry, improvisatory charm into their roles, whereas all of the talented actors in the Prequels were hamstrung by Lucas' pretentious, glum, vaguely autistic dialogue. I loved Rey's enthusiastic exclamation, "This is the Milliennium FAHLcon? You're HAWN SOHLO?", and Finn's humorously naïve, "We'll just use The Force!", followed by Han growling in response, "That's not how the Force WORKS!", and BB-8 giving the "thumbs-up". All of these are wonderfully humanizing touches, and reminded me of the scrappy, B-movie charm of the OT, as opposed to the stentorian, portentous line delivery in the Prequels that had not a whit of spontaneity or...well, fun.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:32 am 
Black Hole

NOT A SPOILER

ME: WELL, YOU COMING IN TODAY MEANS IT COULDN'T HAVE BEEN HORRIBLE SINCE YOU WOULD STILL BE CRYING AT HOME AND IT COULDN'T HAVE BEEN FANTASTIC SINCE YOU WOULD STILL BE AT HOME CELEBRATING. SO, IT MUST HAVE BEEN BETWEEN "OKAY" AND "GOOD".

COWORKER: IT WAS THE WORST STAR WARS I'VE SEEN SINCE PHANTOM. IN FACT, IT WAS WORSE THAN PHANTOM.

:noclue:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:53 am 
Singularity ∞

I've tried to stay away from the buzz and yet have seen a decent bit of that. Weird that it would be so extreme. Even the people who didn't care for Force Awakens, like me, are mostly just lukewarm about it. We don't HATE it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:08 pm 
Black Hole

ADDENDUM TO COWORKER "REVIEW"

COWORKER: MY DAUGHTER LOVED IT.

I feel that they probably continued to kill off the rest of the original group and then probably threw in some other non-traditional SW stuff. I am more open to that than others and will likely be good with this movie.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:29 pm 

My friends are all losing their shit and despise it so now I’m in.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:25 pm 

It's a weird Star Wars film.

Too bad the director isn't staying on for the 3rd part.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:26 pm 

Like, I'd say it's the Temple of Doom of the franchise.

Without the racism.

If that's your thing, you might love it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:15 pm 
Black Hole

JFelix wrote:
My friends are all losing their shit and despise it so now I’m in.

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

brian wrote:
Like, I'd say it's the Temple of Doom of the franchise.

Without the racism.

If that's your thing, you might love it.

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

These both have me excited.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:44 pm 
HMFIC

Temple of Doom is the 2nd best Indiana Jones movie.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:02 pm 

:hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :half:

Loved the Crimson Peak planet at the climax.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:37 am 

Eric wrote:
Temple of Doom is the 2nd best Indiana Jones movie.

Yeah, agree, though I enjoy watching it more than any of the others.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:29 am 

I'll never understand why people bag on Temple Of Doom. The last 40 minutes are amongst Spielberg's most exciting action filmmaking. Last Crusade is "funnier" and has Connery, but it's also pokey and leans on too much slapstick humor and essentially ruins the characters of Brody and Sallah.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next