It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:48 am 
Singularity ∞

Temple of Doom is the second best Indiana Jones movie. Fact.

Last Crusade is fun, but it's also a total rehash, slavishly devoted to formula but with a lot of soft humor to make it a big family event. I like it just fine, it has some great moments and is a fun movie, but I've already seen Raiders, thanks, and it was FAR better.

Crystal Skull has some great scenes but is a mess.

Temple of Doom is an over-the-top romp with one of Spielberg's best sustained action climaxes and plenty of insanity, insane ideas, and a totally different feel than the first (which is GOOD and what they were initial aiming for before Spielberg turned coward). Yes, the racism is pretty jarring through modern eyes, but otherwise it's a hoot.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:49 am 
Singularity ∞

Is it weird that I'm excited by this mixed to poor word of mouth on The Last Jedi?

It suggests to me they're at least taking some risks. I'm excited by that! Whether those risks pay off remains to be seen, I still need to see it and see how crazy they're choices are, but the idea of this having its own identity excites me.

It might actually be a flub. I don't know. I figure as long as what they're doing is interesting, though, I'm game.

That was my issue with Force Awakens. It was kind of pure distilled imitation Star Wars down to every detail, and as such did little for me and failed to get be excited about the franchise. It's not that it was bad -- it wasn't, it did everything exactly as it wanted to, perfectly -- but I was, meh.

I'd sooner see some "what are they DOING!?" than just sticking to formula.

Not saying the bad worth of mouth means I think it will be good. It really might be pretty bad. But I do like the possibility that they're experimenting here.

(I just hope they don't fuck Luke up.)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:02 am 

The film could use some tighter editing/simplification of subplots.

"Fuck Luke up" is open to your interpretation.

Chris will hate it. Chris hates all things I like.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:06 am 

It's the vicious cycle of movie sequels in general...hew too close to the original, and everyone complains it's "The same damn movie!" (Force Awakens, Home Alone 2, Hangover 2, etc.). Go in a completely different direction? "I don't like this, I had my own ideas where it was going to go! It's too different!" (Last Jedi, Temple Of Doom, Babe: Pig In The City, etc. Hell, even Empire Strikes Back was disliked by some at the time for being so dark and unresolved as compared to the sunny, optimistic original). You're damned if you do, and doubly-damned if you don't. Last Jedi does have some awkward moments, and elements where they take mysteries from Force Awakens and just kind of shrugs them off in a way that I can understand why they're infuriating fanboy theorists, but it's also vibrant and alive and takes narrative risks in a way that's refreshing in the Disney era of Star Wars (where the two "spin-off" features to date have been heavily-reshot to adhere to what people "expect" from the brand. What I wouldn't give to see the Phil Lord/Christopher Miller version of the Han Solo movie that got essentially remade from the ground up by Ron Howard. The resulting movie might turn out to be good -- as Rogue One did -- but the idea of the LEGO Movie/21 Jump Street guys let loose to play in the SW universe sounded like a blast).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:07 am 

Yeah, an off-the-rails Han Solo film would have been interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:08 am 
Singularity ∞

Not seeing the solo Han Solo and Boba Fett movies until they show up on Netflix. Fuck that lazy garbage.

I did hear that they didn't follow up on the mysteries of Force Awakens, and to that I say GOOD. I do not give the slightest fuck who Rey's parents are.

And also, aren't those reveals for the final chapter, anyway?

Anyway, guess I should probably start staying out of this thread. Be back to it in a few weeks.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:10 am 

I loved
Spoiler: show
Luke's Tiananmen Square moment

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:19 am 

brian wrote:
Yeah, an off-the-rails Han Solo film would have been interesting.

What baffles me is why Disney would have hired those guys in the first place, when their filmography to date has been in the mode of snarky, break-the-fourth-wall meta-humor. If they wanted a Brett Ratner-style yes-man who would just knuckle under and give them what people "expect" from a Star Wars movie, they should have hired Ron Howard in the first place (I've liked a number of Howard movies in the past, but lets face it...he has no real auteurist "style" in the first place, which is why he was chosen by Lucas for the "Star Wars Lite" Willow back in the day). I'm sure they blew about $50 million in re-shoots for something they could have had to begin with.

That's one thing I like about Last Jedi...it feels like the work of a singular vision, no matter if you agree with it. Rian Johnson is the only credited screenwriter, and while I'm sure there are uncredited script polishes by others, and while he "samples" elements of previous movies, there's still a quirky personality to the proceedings that The Force Awakens -- as much as I enjoyed it -- lacked. With that film, you could tell Disney was terrified of another Phantom Menace ruining their four billion investment, and made sure to insert all of the nostalgic "stuff" that fans missed in the Prequels (Scrappy underdog heroes! Everything's dirty and beat-up! A character on a desert planet who pines for something else! A villain in a metal mask!). With Last Jedi, there's a lot of tweaking of expected payoffs, and even when they're sort of jarring, it's still a kind of gleefully naughtiness that speaks to me. I honestly have NO idea how they're gonna wrap up this new trilogy, and that's tremendously exciting to me. And since Disney is giving Johnson a new SW trilogy that will be completely unconnected to anything else in the galaxy, this makes me happy about the future of the series.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:21 am 

brian wrote:
I loved
Luke's Tiananmen Square moment

The moment where Luke emerges from the laser-beam cloud and casually brushes a speck of dust off his shoulder got a HUGE laugh and round of applause from the audience.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:54 am 
Singularity ∞

brian wrote:

Chris is the most interesting film fan in the world to me. I genuinely find his tastes 100% unpredictable. We are frequently miles apart from one another and other times are exactly on the same page, and in both cases I can never figure out why. The man is a mystery, in a great way.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:05 am 

Shoe wrote:
brian wrote:

Chris is the most interesting film fan in the world to me. I genuinely find his tastes 100% unpredictable. We are frequently miles apart from one another and other times are exactly on the same page, and in both cases I can never figure out why. The man is a mystery, in a great way.

We should have an "Ask Chris about movies" thread or make a youtube series.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:16 am 

brian wrote:
Shoe wrote:
brian wrote:

We should have an "Ask Chris about movies" thread or make a youtube series.

This is a phenomenal idea, as I'm exactly the same way with him.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:39 pm 
HMFIC

Everybody is that way with Chris.

Just saw this, and I honestly don't know what to make of it. People who wanted to continue complaining about recycling, honestly, would have something to go on. Think of Empire: you've got an evacuation, then one character goes off and trains while some others are pursued by the bad guys in parallel stories with irreconcilable timelines. You've got a confrontation and an offer to rule the galaxy together that's rebuffed. Apologies if anybody thinks that qualifies as spoilers; I think most of it is present in the trailers or predictable.

But I like that the climax doesn't happen in the same place in the plot as Empire, though I feel like that made the pacing feel weird. Not sure I like how much of an idiot Poe Dameron frequently is, or for that matter most of the leads. I feel like one of all those plans should have worked.

Given how they restructured things, though, I don't think we're going to see the Episode 9 I was expecting after Episode 7. That came as somewhat of a surprise, actually. And I was surprised at how they answered the question about Rey's past, but glad they didn't go the way I expected. I think I generally liked it.

My kid loved it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:23 am 
HMFIC

Regarding Leia:
There were two or three points in the story where they could have used the footage in the film, reshooting other characters' dialogue and scenes, to kill off the character. They've already said they're not going to do a CGI Carrie Fisher for the next episode. Why didn't they?

Leia flying through space seemed ridiculous to me, though since Rey's a Jedi now without even the cursory training Luke received, I guess the new films figure training is unnecessary. When the ship blows up around her, I expected she was dead. Laura Dern could have filled her role in the plot for the rest of the movie. Yes, you'd have lost a lot of fun interactions between her and Oscar Isaac, but that would've been a better send-off than having her die off-screen between films. Do they have enough footage in the can to cut together a credible death scene in the next movie? I'm wondering whether, in a desire to leave as much as possible of her final role in the film, they put themselves in a position where they can't give the character a satisfying send-off.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:20 am 

Witch Leia was weird to me too. But hey, we don't know if she had training or not in between the films. I thought that would be their "We kill her now" spot too - after her death, there were spoilers leaked about how she was in a coma for a chunk of the film and it seemed like it would be easy to just let her die.

Maybe she'll pull a Luke/Obi-Wan and become one with the force.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:32 am 
HMFIC

I doubt they're going to do that with Leia, both because of the lack of training and Carrie Fisher's death. But I'm betting the original plan was to have her still prominent in the next movie, with ghost-Luke popping up for a scene or two. I'm guessing ghost-Luke gets a higher profile now. But I do hope they somehow manage to give the character a good death, at least as good as the opportunities they had here.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:43 am 

If they wanted to avoid having to reshoot a good chunk of the film, they should have done a
"No,
I'll stay with the ship" from Leia using a body double or something. I guess that would rob us of a Luke/Leia reunion, but it would have been a good send off.

Regarding training, I'm not sure why you say that. We don't know what she learned between Return of the Jedi and Force Awakens.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:57 am 
Pollution Baby

Can you guess my favorite line, Eric?
Quote:
"That's how we're gonna win. Not fighting what we hate, saving what we love."

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:01 am 
HMFIC

brian wrote:
If they wanted to avoid having to reshoot a good chunk of the film, they should have done a
"No,
I'll stay with the ship" from Leia using a body double or something. I guess that would rob us of a Luke/Leia reunion, but it would have been a good send off.

They could've done that at several points in the story very organically. Could've been done AFTER the reunion too without too much trouble, though I don't think it would've been the most natural place.

brian wrote:
Regarding training, I'm not sure why you say that. We don't know what she learned between Return of the Jedi and Force Awakens.

Could be, but if so, it didn't feel earned. A throwaway line would have established that, if they wanted it established (though it'd create new problems, since there's no evidence anywhere else that it's happened). In the absence of that line, my impression is that nothing's changed since the original movies.

Ericubus wrote:
Can you guess my favorite line, Eric?
Quote:
"That's how we're gonna win. Not fighting what we hate, saving what we love."

That's cool. But I suspect most people got more enjoyment out of
the part where Rey and Kylo Ren teamed up against a worse enemy.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:22 pm 

I think fighting what you hate is a fine strategy.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:20 pm 

Episode VIII was the Twin Peaks: Season 3 of Star Wars movies. It hates nostalgia. It hates fan expectations. It hates Star Wars. I loved it. Every character is a jerk and a coward. Luke spends 99% of his screen time breaking down how bad Star Wars is. How many lines did Kylo have about destroying the past and why was it all of them? It has a subversive anti-capitalist bent. They burn Vegas (full of 1 percenters who make all their money on war profiteering) to the ground. Every time a Porg is onscreen it’s usually getting kicked offscreen. They introduce unmarketable, four-tittied aliens that will never get their own toys. What the fuck was Benicio Del Toro doing ANY time he’s onscreen?

Five stars. This movie is outrageous.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:22 pm 

Fans are losing their minds because The Last Jedi doesn’t respect the franchise as much as fans do and expect from the series.

I have a feeling for better or worse they probably watched the Guardians of the Galaxy movies and took cues from them.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:36 pm 

JFelix wrote:
Episode VIII was the Twin Peaks: Season 3 of Star Wars movies. It hates nostalgia. It hates fan expectations. It hates Star Wars. I loved it. Every character is a jerk and a coward. Luke spends 99% of his screen time breaking down how bad Star Wars is. How many lines did Kylo have about destroying the past and why was it all of them? It has a subversive anti-capitalist bent. They burn Vegas (full of 1 percenters who make all their money on war profiteering) to the ground. Every time a Porg is onscreen it’s usually getting kicked offscreen. They introduce unmarketable, four-tittied aliens that will never get their own toys. What the fuck was Benicio Del Toro doing ANY time he’s onscreen?

Five stars. This movie is outrageous.

Also the first pro-vegetarian/vegan Star Wars film.

Animal liberation. Don't eat porgs. Green milk is gross.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:39 pm 

JFelix wrote:
I have a feeling for better or worse they probably watched the Guardians of the Galaxy movies and took cues from them.

Poe to Hux Nazi's exchange in the beginning felt like a retread of the already annoying gag in Thor 3. Villain gives a speech, hero makes them repeat it.

It's like Disney has a joke pool to pepper scripts with.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:03 pm 

Also re: Temple of Doom:

Shoe wrote:
Yes, the racism is pretty jarring through modern eyes

Bitch, that shit was fucking jarring at the time, too. :flip:

Short Round will always be on my shitlist, if I ever meet him, I'll fight him.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:04 pm 

Hux is the audience surrogate, losing his mind and throwing a shitfit whenever things don't go his way.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:09 pm 

JFelix wrote:
Hux is the audience surrogate, losing his mind and throwing a shitfit whenever things don't go his way.

That's a fun read.

2 years of Star Wars fans complaining that the last film was a simple retread, here's to two years of Star Wars fans complaining that this one wasn't enough like Star Wars.

Also Shoe will hate this because he says I have terrible taste in movies.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:40 pm 
HMFIC

brian wrote:
2 years of Star Wars fans complaining that the last film was a simple retread, here's to two years of Star Wars fans complaining that this one wasn't enough like Star Wars.

Like I said above, though, I think it does re-use a lot of plot points and story beats from Empire. It just uses them differently. The plans that would have worked in earlier Star Wars movies, and the characters that would have been the heroes, here they end up failing. I think that's what they're complaining about: the movie sets all the pieces up like a conventional Star Wars movie would, then makes unexpected moves with them. (Mostly. Some things were still not too big a surprise.)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:12 pm 

Fans expected Luke to be like Obi-Wan, when instead he's more like Yoda.

Not my Luke!!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:50 pm 

I freaking LOVED smart-ass Luke casually tossing away his responsibilities. If nothing else, the last 25 years of Mark Hamill playing flamboyant comic-book baddies in The Flash and various Batman animated shows and movies has given him a crack sense of comic timing, and when he's fucking around with Rey by tickling her outstretched hand with a blade of grass and being like, "You feel the force? Huh?", it was totally a riff on Yoda pretending to be a silly, ignorant swamp creature in Empire. Fans upset that he's not grave enough or just ran away from cleaning up his own mess or whatever didn't seem to mind Yoda fucking off to Dagobah instead of facing the Emperor again after failing to stop his political machinations in Revenge Of The Sith.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:35 pm 

Honestly, Yoda's "Failed I have, into exile I must go" line in Revenge of the Sith was pretty terrible.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:39 pm 

brian wrote:
Honestly, Yoda's "Failed I have, into exile I must go" line in Revenge of the Sith was pretty terrible.

Sith is the one Prequel I enjoy for the most part, yet that line is so forced and awkward. Just a downcast expression and a weary sigh would have served the same purpose, and allowed the audience to imagine how Yoda eventually showed up on Dagobah decades later.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:33 am 

So...I've avoided this thread like a plague. I haven't even been on Facebook, aside from directly messaging people. I Just got back from watching it in Imax-lite.

Anyway. The movie is fucking bonkers. I had a shit-eating grin on my face the entire time. The plot doesn't make any sense, but it doesn't have to. Felt like a decent episode of Clone Wars mixed with Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy. So, yeah, not as awesome as Rogue One, but it's so much better than Force Awakens.

As for

Luke. When they showed the X-Wing underwater, and then Force Yoda PHYSICALLY interacting with him, I assumed he was dead the entire time (crashed into the ocean). He was never alive during this movie. Okay, I know that doesn't make sense (why would a force ghost live on an island), but the point is he could have died at any point, not just when he visually dissolves at the end.

There's lots to nitpick (like way too many characters doings lots of nothing, and the score being mostly boring again).
I would have loved if techno music had kicked in when the kylo/rey fight started. Also, Snoke's bedroom looked like a big 70s TV studio set. Like, they ran out of money to build the set, and the director didn't like the matte paintings...just fucking weird, man.

My favourite thing about this movie is that the director
just crapped all over J.J. Abrams' bullshit mysteries and going-nowehere-setups. Rey's parents? Fuck them. Snoke? Fuck him. Actually, Rey being a "nobody" sets up the last shot of the film pretty nicely.

And, damn, that explosion was the tits. You know which one.

Also, loved Adrian Edmonson's brief appearance/cameo in the opening. He fit in perfectly as a 1st Order officer.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:53 am 

The 2 people I went to see it with compared it to the prequels. Didn't like and/or get it.

If I was 8, this would have been my Empire. Or Krull. Or insert-your-favourite-childhood-movie here. I can't imagine a single kid not going apeshit during most of the scenes in this movie.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:08 am 

Nobody awake at 3AM to discuss this movie. Bastards.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next