It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:01 pm 

“Who’s next on my list? Ah, little Harry and Jordan. Won’t they be surprised…!”

-The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993): :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1:

Another October comes to an end, another spin with Jack Skellington, Sally and the rest of the fabulously gnarled denizens of Halloweentown. See you all again in 365…! :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:23 am 
Black Hole

I finished my Halloween movie "marathon" (not much of one when you are limited to watching scary movies in a house with someone that is totally opposed to scary movies), with the original 1956 Invasion Of The Body Snatchers.

:hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :half:

Dr. Bennell and his crew caused me to laugh a lot more than I had previously on my last viewing which had to have been a few decades ago.

What was so funny?

The 1956 crisis-handling SOP was to have a drink.

Even giving a hysterical woman a drink was standard operating procedure.

People stumbling in from a night on the town were offered nightcaps and almost everything revolved around the cocktail drink.

What was not so funny?

The same hysteria that inspired the original plot is still very prevalent in today's society. This time it is the fanatical Trump America where individualism is outright attacked on a daily basis.

It is actually sobering to imagine how many people might be "body snatched" to avoid the violent confrontations that happen across our nation that is supposed to be a Land of the Free.

A great film that although laughable at times (a cop waving his pistol around at people in a basement only to be told that all is well and nothing to worry about just because he knows the people involved), is still very relevant.

8-)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:20 am 

That's a fantastic pick! Weird coincidence that I feature that on my blog today too. I still want to rewatch the 70's remake but we're going to watch Stranger Things first.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:32 am 

If you like Body Snatcher movies, check out the recent re-release of The Hidden (1987). I love this movie, and the new transfer is pretty damn good.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:11 pm 

Chris Knight wrote:
If you like Body Snatcher movies, check out the recent re-release of The Hidden (1987). I love this movie, and the new transfer is pretty damn good.

The Hidden fucking rocks! I've been thinking about picking up the Blu, guess I should.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:32 pm 
Canyon

You know, I'm pissed at myself that I totally screwed the pooch and forgot to post my October reviews over here this year. I'm unofficially unabandoning the board (although, I'd really love it if I could access it through Tapatalk since I spend more time on my phone than anything else.)

Sorry, guys.

Too late for a review dump over here?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:50 pm 
Pollution Baby

Never

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6