It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lone Survivor
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:30 pm 
Singularity ∞

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1091191/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Survivor

How did this piece of shit win accolades?

It's on FX right now, Mrs. Shoe is watching it, and every time I glance over I can't believe how bad it is. Terrible directing, shit camera work, bad acting, poor production values. This thing looks like a made-for-TV movie from 1996. Holy shit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:41 pm 

These movies are financed by the U.S. military, and serve as recruitment tools. Cookie cutter templates, and they work like a charm. Rinse, repeat every year:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:55 pm 

The "January 'Murrica Military Movie" has become every bit as formulaic (and commercially successful) as the "January Horror Movie"...remember, the highest-grossing movie of 2014 wasn't a superhero or animated flick, it was American Sniper. I guarantee that 12 Strong will pull in at least $80 million.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:03 pm 
Black Hole

American Sniper was... okay, I guess.

It at least had a somewhat coherent story and other than some heavy-handed "Murica-isms" (and some shitty acting)... ugh... okay, it was only "okay" insofar as compared to shit like Lone Survivor.

I know for sure that the no one here put any government money into the upcoming 12 Shitholes or whatever it is called.

Was it maybe John Wayne's The Green Berets that started all this type of crap to be made?

I mean, that movie was shit, too.

Can we get a list of each shit military movie that was used to increase recruitment numbers?

I know there were many movies during WWII that were geared towards increasing recruitment (which is why the scene in Ralph Bakshi's WIZARDS where Black Wolf is "invigorating" his troops by showing them footage of Triumph of the Will is so poignant to me), but they all seemed better made than this shit that is tumbling out these days.

Kind of amazing since a lot of the current recruitment commands we've been given lately involves getting recruits that are science and tech oriented. You know. Smart kids.

Any who.

8-)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:21 pm 

1929's Wings was the first military-financed film for public exhibition. If you've ever watched a war film that shows the US in good light, it was financially backed by the Pentagon (even if it was made up, like adding Americans to The Great Escape). Independence Day was a rare exception, and I forget what the reasoning was. Even Armageddon received assistance from the military and NASA, which is hilarious.