It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:20 am 
Singularity ∞

The Cloverfield Paradox suddenly dropped on Netflix last night.

I could not wait. I watched it right away.

NO SPOILERS AHEAD!

The Cloverfield Paradox tells the story of an experiment that leads to the events of both previous Cloverfield movies. That's not a spoiler. The ads tell you this!

The world is running dangerously low on energy and some nations are on the brink of major war. People are desperate. A crew aboard a space station is doing a last ditch experiment to generate massive amounts of energy when something goes wrong.

I'll say no more about the plot. You'll have to experience its surprises.

Like 10 Cloverfield Lane, this was originally its own movie called The God Particle and was then tweaked to put it into the Cloverfield universe -- and it shows. You can really see the seams here. It's very obvious this was one thing and was turned into another with just a few simple scenes.

It doesn't really even FIT, either. The world it sets up is not reflected in the movies we've already seen. Was there ANYTHING in Cloverfield that suggested the world was in crisis? The technology here is way far in advance of that movie, too.

As a standalone sci-fi thriller with some horror elements it's not bad at all, if a bit cliche-riddled. The cast has some great names (who are mostly under-utilized) and there is a fantastic mind-bending concept that the movie centers around, but the movie also doesn't seem to play by its own rules. It lays out some science in the beginning, but stuff happens that just doesn't fit. The arm you see in the trailer, for instance? That shit makes zero sense.

Still, the characters are given some really powerful dilemmas to confront and the end is suitably Twilight Zone in nature, so that's neat, and there are some solid plot twists that kept me engaged.

But overall I'd give it a C.

If Cloverfield and 10 Cloverfield Lane were both surprise "I did not expect this to be so awesome!" movies, The Cloverfield Paradox is not.

For sure see it if you're a fan, but if you're not as enamored with Cloverfield as I am, don't worry about taking your time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:16 pm 

Shoe wrote:
It doesn't really even FIT, either. The world it sets up is not reflected in the movies we've already seen. Was there ANYTHING in Cloverfield that suggested the world was in crisis? The technology here is way far in advance of that movie, too.

Spoiler: show
I have a feeling that the New York of the 2008 Cloverfield film was just another alternate universe. A clumsy way to connect all of these unrelated movies with the "Cloverfield" brand name slapped on them, but whatever.

:hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :half: :nohole:

I thought the movie was fun. All over the map, but it was never boring, it was well-acted, had a few funny lines and visuals, and some bugshit-crazy concepts.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:37 pm 
Singularity ∞

That was my mental explanation for that, too, and while it kind of works, as you correctly note, it's also a bit clumsy.

Also:
Monterey Jack wrote:
and some bugshit-crazy concepts.

I liked a lot of those concepts as well, though thought there was some vague Event Horizon stuff going on that to me didn't fit into the universe they were trying to wedge this movie into. It's like two premises clashing with one another.

Spoiler: show
So the whole thing is rooted in this idea of accidentally bumping two dimensions together, right? Works for me. It's actually a relatively sound scientific concept. Elements of the two blending together, very cool, the differences between the two timelines, cool, the betrayals and such that happened as a result, very cool.

But then you get that magnetic paste that seemingly comes to life and purposely seeks out a dude and kills him. What the hell is that all about?

The worms zapping inside some dude and his mind seeming to be controlled. Huh?

The dude getting eaten by the ship, then his arm becoming a sentient thing of its own that somehow has KNOWLEDGE and MEMORIES? What the hell is that!?

The ship coming to life and drowning a woman.

Again, all cool concepts. Taken on its own, as a sci-fi horror movie that is its own thing, those are just cool bizarre things that are fun to watch unfold.

But they're not really in bounds with the premise the movie first lays out (unless you take the guy ranting on TV literally), and they're really out of sync with the other two flicks. The effort to push it into Cloverfield did this movie a disservice.

I KNEW you'd enjoy this, though, for one reason: Zhang Ziyi! :thumbs:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:39 pm 

Shoe wrote:
I KNEW you'd enjoy this, though, for one reason: Zhang Ziyi! :thumbs:

OH yeah.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:52 pm 
Black Hole

Is the original Cloverfield monster theme used?

ROAR

Because that was some badass monster music.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:58 am 

Nope...it does have a good score by Bear McCreary, though (he also scored 10 Cloverfield Lane and TV's The Walking Dead).