It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dinosaur movie
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:30 pm 

Jurassic World : Whatever Whatever has dinosaurs in it. Thankfully it doesn't take long in showing the audience dinosaurs.

It's a big dumb movie for dumb people but I enjoyed it, because I'm dumb.

Spoiler: show
Hey, you know what's cheaper and more efficient than a $40 million prototype dinosaur with a laser rifle that tags a target for it to hunt?

A bullet.

Post subject: Re: Dinosaur movie
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:10 am 

The Trump-baiting in this movie is going to date it HORRIBLY.

Eh, it's a B-minus. Fun, some thrills, immediately disposable. The last Jurassic World grew on me a bit after a couple of viewings, but I dunno about this. Especially disappointing coming from a great filmmaker like J.A. Bayona...this could have been cobbled together by anyone.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:42 am 

Monterey Jack wrote:
The Trump-baiting in this movie is going to date it HORRIBLY.

Eh, it's a B-minus. Fun, some thrills, immediately disposable. The last Jurassic World grew on me a bit after a couple of viewings, but I dunno about this. Especially disappointing coming from a great filmmaker like J.A. Bayona...this could have been cobbled together by anyone.

Was there a lot of it? I caught one or two lines that appeared to be poking fun at Trump but honestly this is the sort of movie I forget about 15 minutes after watching it.

Granted, seeing that brachiosaurus at the dock was all :cry:

Come back, boat!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:03 pm 

brian wrote:
Was there a lot of it? I caught one or two lines that appeared to be poking fun at Trump but honestly this is the sort of movie I forget about 15 minutes after watching it.

The shot of Toby Jones' hair getting blown back was an obvious "Get it...?!" joke that will be incomprehensible to anyone watching this a decade from now...if anyone bothers to watch it a decade from now.

Quote:
Granted, seeing that brachiosaurus at the dock was all :cry:

Come back, boat!

That was legitimately sad, especially considering what's been going on in Hawaii recently. Reminded me of that 70's movie The Land That Time Forgot with the dinos getting swallowed up in a volcanic conflagration, which really upset me as a kid.

I just wish there were more moments as elegantly poignant as that. Spielberg's original film tickled a genuine, childlike sense of awe and wonder, but a quarter-century later, these kind of F/X can be seen in toothpaste commercials, and we've lost our ability to be astonished. Now we're left with nothing but sensation-machines, that tickle nothing more than our desire to move onto the next Lego-brick setpiece. Today's special effects are so seamless that they no longer make us wonder how they pulled it all off, whereas in the first JP when Jeff Goldblum muttered, "You did it, you crazy sonfofabitch, you did it", he was basically echoing every thought going through the audiences' heads, as the film's advertising kept all of its dino footage under tight security. I will never forget what seeing that first brachiosaur stepping out into view was like, even if I live to be a hundred. It's something anyone born after the year 2000 will never fully comprehend.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:55 pm 

I remember the Trump line - "Nasty woman"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:50 am 

I saw the first Jurassic World on acid and it was still a garbage fucking movie.

This one looks stupid, but at least it looks stupid in the way that I will enjoy, acid or no acid.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:49 pm 

This movie was fucking garbage and pretty great.