It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 454 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:00 pm 
Pollution Baby

Shoe wrote:
But the zombie numbers thing ... I can never quite get my head around that one..

Chew on this one for a little bit.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/natashaumer/thi ... .yyaJWEg0v

There was a good article I read a while ago that shows the amount of dead people at any given time compared to living people and what it would actually mean for a zombie outbreak, but I can't find it. It proposed that it would not be a big deal, and would be easily contained locally. Which I tend to believe more.

The 28 days later approach is more realistic, with a rapidly transmitted rabies type infection that does not actually kill people, but turns them into ultra-violent mindless killers. AKA Running Zombies. That could be a hell for the local area, but would most likely also be contained fairly quickly.

Now, The Signal type 'zombie', that shit would fuck us all.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:09 pm 
Pollution Baby

Having said all that. I still occasionally can't help but scream internally, 'WHY AREN'T YOU DIGGING A MOAT?!?'

Mostly when they get the 'smart ones' mulling over options and whether some defense is good or not. I just see all those excavators and backhoes just laying around, waiting to be used. Fuck walls, dig a moat or a deep trench, zombies can't get through that shit. And put a wall on the other side of it. Sure, eventually they will pile up, but a bit of gas and a match and that pile goes down real quick. Some preventative maintenance and you are all set. It also helps keep bad people out, or at least from knocking down the walls with a heavy vehicle easily.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:35 am 
Black Hole

What a dud of a season closer.

First of all, Morgan. Who the hell cares?

Second, Glen
Spoiler: show
rescues the guy who got his friend killed, ambushed him, shot him, and left him to the zombies? Bullshit.

Third, Rick
strolls in with a zombie and suddenly everything is better?

Fourth, the whole scene with wife-beating doctor guy was some of the stupidest shit this show has ever done. That bit with
the sword and accidentally cutting the dude's throat was absolutely comical. So dumb.

Fifth, Daryl and Aaron in the car, well, it's flat out bullshit that
Morgan could or would have been able to make his way through 50 walkers using a damn stick, and that the three of them would be able to get back out when the swarm was that thick.

Sixth, that was supposed to be a cliffhanger? Really?

The VERY BEST part of the episode was Carol's conversation with wife-beating doctor guy. That was flippin' FANTASTIC.

Otherwise, what a shitty ending to a pretty good season.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:59 am 
Pollution Baby

Shoe wrote:
What a dud of a season closer.

First of all, Morgan. Who the hell cares?
I care, I like Morgan, he is the guy that started it off with Rick and keeps popping in and out of his life. Now he's an Amish Jedi.

Shoe wrote:
Second, Glen
rescues the guy who got his friend killed, ambushed him, shot him, and left him to the zombies? Bullshit.
Ya, that fucker woulda shoulda been toast, but I think Glen was thinking more about the community's reaction, and he is the yin to Rick's yang, so to speak.

Shoe wrote:
Third, Rick
strolls in with a zombie and suddenly everything is better?
It wasn't the zombie drop at the beginning, but the speech and then the craziness with Doctor Slaps-a-lot.

Shoe wrote:
Fourth, the whole scene with wife-beating doctor guy was some of the stupidest shit this show has ever done. That bit with
the sword and accidentally cutting the dude's throat was absolutely comical. So dumb.
I . . . ya, I agree with that.

Shoe wrote:
Fifth, Daryl and Aaron in the car, well, it's flat out bullshit that
Morgan could or would have been able to make his way through 50 walkers using a damn stick, and that the three of them would be able to get back out when the swarm was that thick.
Dude, it's fucking Daryl and an Amish Jedi.

Shoe wrote:
Sixth, that was supposed to be a cliffhanger? Really?

The VERY BEST part of the episode was Carol's conversation with wife-beating doctor guy. That was flippin' FANTASTIC.

Otherwise, what a shitty ending to a pretty good season.
Ya, Carol's balls in hand talk was awe inspiring.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:24 am 
Black Hole

Ericubus wrote:
Shoe wrote:
Second, Glen
Ya, that fucker woulda shoulda been toast, but I think Glen was thinking more about the community's reaction, and he is the yin to Rick's yang, so to speak.

This is the one I can give on the most. While it didn't feel right to me, I can buy the idea that Glen knew doing what he wanted to do would have been bad for the community and for his group. He chose to the be bigger person for the greater good.

Still, I'd be worried about
that guy coming back to kill him. He already proved he's willing to pull shit like that once, right? Why wouldn't he do it again, only this time try to get it right?

THAT'S the part that struck me as wrong about it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:40 am 
Pollution Baby

Shoe wrote:
...THAT'S the part that struck me as wrong about it.
Yes, he is now a ticking bomb, but the leader lady knows he's full of shit and worthless, and I got a feeling that Rick will take care of that douche real quick.

The thing I did like about that scene was that the audience has every reason to root for Glen to lull a-bye that asshole, and we are somewhat rooting for it, but then the reminder of what this whole season is all about. Are we, sorry, are they becoming the enemy? Are they at a point where being the killers and aggressors is the only way, or can they still retain some humanity and make things work. Glen is holding on to it, Rick is embracing the change. Jesus, Glen is Tom Cruise and Rick is Jack Nicholson, telling us that we need him on that wall.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:57 am 
Black Hole

Good point on how that scene played into the overall theme of this season. You're right. While tactically it was arguably the wrong move, philosophically it was the right one, and from a writing standpoint it made an important point related to this whole season's point.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:10 am 
Black Hole

People need spoilers for this?

Zombies. Scared people. Not scared people. More zombies. Some heated dialogue. More zombies. Debates about what to do. More zombies. Rinse and repeat.

I don't think spoilers are necessary.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:28 am 
Pollution Baby

Pender wrote:

Zombies. Scared people. Not scared people. More zombies. Some heated dialogue. More zombies. Debates about what to do. More zombies. Rinse and repeat.

You're right.

I'm still upset that Daryl died, but they did it in such a great way it kind of makes it OK.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:07 pm 

Ericubus wrote:
Pender wrote:

You're right.

I'm still upset that Daryl died, but they did it in such a great way it kind of makes it OK.

:lol: One friend of mine on FB had Daryl being gay. I said that would break more women fans hearts than if he had died.

Overall, I was pretty underwhelmed. I expected Glenn to die, and was kinda surprised that he showed up to not kill douche guy. I like Morgan, the Amish Jedi. It's show about zombies, thinking the Amish Jedi could get through all those walkers, and rescue Daryl and Aaron isn't too big a suspension of disbelief.

I do like how all the varied groups call the zombies a different name.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:23 pm 
Pollution Baby

Kimfair wrote:
:lol: One friend of mine on FB had Daryl being gay. I said that would break more women fans hearts than if he had died... Daryl and Aaron...
Ya, when they are trapping in the car, surrounded by that onslaught of zombies, and the discussion with the slow realization that there is no way out, then they look at each other, lock eyes, and start going at it, then the window breaks open and they won't break the kiss even after the zombies are ripping them apart. Symbolic and beautiful, it just makes so much sense, it's perfect. Great death scene.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:08 pm 

Anyone catch the Dawn Of The Dead homage?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:54 pm 

Monterey Jack wrote:

When?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:15 pm 

Kimfair wrote:
Monterey Jack wrote:

When?

[

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:05 pm 
HMFIC

I'm wondering when Morgan became the Amish Jedi. Last we saw him, he was good at building traps and had a shitload of guns, right? I can see that. Even to the point that I thought the semi-trailer trap was his at first. But that's stuff you can figure out fairly easily. Who taught him Kung-Fu?

I was expecting the whole safe zone to be burned down and the core group back on the run by now. That's relatively boring, and I'm glad they didn't go that way.

Carol is both my favorite character and disturbingly a bitch, mostly in her interactions with the one kid a few episodes back.

I have no illusions that it'll be handled subtly, but I'm glad for some sense there'll be philosophical disagreements next season, not just gory zombie killings.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:23 pm 

Kimfair wrote:
:lol: One friend of mine on FB had Daryl being gay. I said that would break more women fans hearts than if he had died.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:55 pm 
Pollution Baby

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:17 pm 
Black Hole

So .... the same story as the second half of season 5, except instead of the old lady being the adversary, Morgan is?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:34 am 

Show's been CRUSHING it this season.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:07 am 
HMFIC

So, thoughts?

Good season. Though given the build-up, I was a bit surprised at the way it ended, particularly the last shot.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:22 am 

Can't say I'm happy with what they're doing with Carol lately...she developed from cowering, useless victim in season one to one of the strongest, most self-sufficient characters on the show, but now suddenly she's all weepy and religious(?) and begging for death?

And yeah, weak sauce on not following through on a definitive end for the character they've been teasing the demise of for a while now...shades of that awful "Is Glenn dead?" mini-arc that was a total Misery "He didn't get out of the cock-a-doodie CAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!" cheat. I mean, cliffhangers are this show's bread and butter, but after the Glenn shit, how can we trust the writers at all when it comes to definitive character deaths?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:07 am 

Oh, somebody died, we just don't know who (the writers confirmed this on the Talking Dead). I don't mind the cliffhanger, mainly because I knew they would never reveal who died in last nights episode.

Carol's development is less problematic for me, as it seems a rational way of thinking, "I don't want to kill people any more, I'm not sure I even can, so I'm taking myself away from the people I love because I don't want my inability to kill someone to endanger anyone I love." Even so, however, the fact that she killed those guys on the road seems at odds with her new lease on life.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:56 am 
HMFIC

Carol's sudden character-about face is rational, I'll grant you, but just seems unearned. This is somebody who, a few seasons back, was willing to kill innocent members of her group because they were sick and it was the coldly rational thing to do. Now she doesn't want to kill psychos that are threatening people she cares about? Makes sense in a vacuum, but not for this character. The writers had built Carol up into a character who was unassuming on the outside but steel underneath, and this feels like a cheat.

And the "Who's dead?" cliffhanger just seems like a way to extend the speculation. I'm sure it works. Not sure how I feel about it, especially since I never read the comics and don't have any ties to seeing the same character die as did there, though I've heard who it was (as, I think, has everybody). My take on whether this was good plotting or crass hype will probably depend on how they open the next season.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:21 pm 
Black Hole

Eric wrote:
Carol's sudden character-about face is rational, I'll grant you, but just seems unearned. This is somebody who, a few seasons back, was willing to kill innocent members of her group because they were sick and it was the coldly rational thing to do. Now she doesn't want to kill psychos that are threatening people she cares about? Makes sense in a vacuum, but not for this character.

I complained about this sort of wild back-and-forth in Dissecting the Walking Dead, specifically with regard to Rick. The writers often want these characters to go on a journey, but it's rarely earned -- "Okay, now Clyde is a tortured soul because we need him to be for Story X" -- and the characters (especially Rick) seem to so malleable. They are whoever the writers need them to be for any given arc.

Rick is peace loving, then he's ruthless and take-charge, then he's pacifist farmer man, then he's murder anyone who looks at him funny man, and on and on.

These character choices often feel right in the moment, but fall apart when you look at the bigger picture.

Can't comment on the Carol stuff, though. I temporarily dropped the show.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:19 pm 
HMFIC

Thinking about it, I agree with you completely about Rick. But it seems like a bigger complaint for Carol in part because it's more true about Rick: he's been bouncing back and forth between characterizations for the whole run of the show (which was probably more forgivable in the first couple seasons, before he was complete acclimated to the apocalypse). In Carol's case, she was on an arc from victim to survivor that didn't bobble--the only real development after she steeled herself to do whatever was needed wasn't in her characterization, but in Rick's, as he accepted what she'd done. It's more iffy when she does it because she's been a more consistent character than he has.

Why'd you drop it?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:53 pm 

Eric wrote:
Carol's sudden character-about face is rational, I'll grant you, but just seems unearned. This is somebody who, a few seasons back, was willing to kill innocent members of her group because they were sick and it was the coldly rational thing to do. Now she doesn't want to kill psychos that are threatening people she cares about? Makes sense in a vacuum, but not for this character. The writers had built Carol up into a character who was unassuming on the outside but steel underneath, and this feels like a cheat.

While I basically agree with what you're saying, I could see, even a cold hearted killer like Carol, finally having enough. I think what put her over the edge was shooting the Wolf that Morgan had imprisoned, and seeing him save Denise.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:00 pm 
Black Hole

Eric wrote:
Why'd you drop it?

Just burnout, I think. I had just marathoned all five previous seasons taking notes for the book when season 6 started. It was my third or fourth viewing at that point. I was immersed in the book and didn't have it in me to start watching 6 for pleasure.

Skimmed the first half of season 6 and it didn't catch me (though in all fairness I was only half watching). Figure I'll return to it later and marathon up to current.

I read the book the same way. Once a year, sometimes once every two years.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:46 pm 

I couldn't handle it in the comic. Not much better in live action. I feel awful. Fuck you TV!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:06 pm 

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:52 pm 

Monterey Jack wrote:
Glenn is one of my favorite characters from the comics, and it looks like he's been cast perfectly (although I wonder if they'll have him shave his head later in the series).

No, he did not shave his head. I'm sorry.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:26 pm 
Black Hole

Was interviewed yesterday about the show for a local radio station. Here is video of the interview:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:57 am 
Pollution Baby

Look at our little celebrity. Nicely done, Mr. Shoe, Sir. Let us know how the library thing goes.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:49 am 
Black Hole

I hope it goes well. I legitimately regret agreeing to do it, though realistically I know these things are good for my career and status as a writer.

Still, I'm trying hard to keep up with my next book, which I'm contractually obligated to deliver in a few months and which is perhaps the most challenging thing I've written so far, and I'm in the midst of a medical crisis of sorts that has sapped my ability to work.

Meanwhile, I've got to fill an hour and a half in front of a crowd and haven't even started putting together a presentation yet.

I'll handle it. I always do. It's just something I'd rather not have on my plate right now.

My apologies for choosing a very grumpy old man way of saying THANK YOU!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:52 am 
Black Hole

Me on a local podcast talking about The Walking Dead:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 454 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13