It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:51 am 
Singularity ∞

Started watching Planet Earth II last night.

It's glorious, as should be expected, though I have some quibbles so far. The two big ones are an over-use of slow motion during scenes that don't need slow motion, as well as too often using this new "looking up at the sun" shot they're using to get close looks while look up at birds and the like.

A few scenes had cutting that was too quick for this sort of thing, too. The bears rubbing on trees, for instance, or the Komodo Dragons fighting. I want that slow pace where you can sink in and just watch the animal behavior. The quick cutting undermines that.

Still, it has its moments of stunning beauty and amazement. The BBC is still the best at this sort of thing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:44 am 

Too much orange and teal - it takes away from the natural beauty of what they were shooting. Agreed on the upcutting - I think it's BBC's attempt to lure in younger viewers...Discovery Channel went down that path, and now they produce unwatchable garbage.

Blue Planet 2 premiered recently as well (next week on BBC America). Definitely worth checking out if you like PE.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:44 pm 
Singularity ∞

Discovery Channel went from an essential part of my household to something I often forget exists. I hate the music video approach for things like this. There's a time and place, and nature documentaries are not the time and place.

(Though I'm not entirely sure Planet Earth II can be called a "nature documentary." It's less about learning than it is about showing us some eye candy through a series of obviously manufactured vignettes featuring animals. Not that there is anything wrong with that! I'm all for that sort of thing, too.)

Eager for Blue Planet 2.

Re: PE2 again, one thing I adored in the first but that so far I've only seen I think once in the first two episodes was the kind of long, drawn-out, sweeping shot we saw a lot in the first, with the camera pulling back to reveal sprawling landscapes filled with countless creatures. There are some jaw-dropping instances of that in the first. I recall one with migrating birds that was hard to wrap your head around. Here, there was a nice example with the penguins, the camera panning left to reveal just how big the population was in that spot, but I don't recall any others.

More of that please!

I do have to say, though, the sequence with the newly hatched lizards running the snake gauntlet was wildly creepy. I kept thinking, "They had to have added some of those snakes in post, right?" Them all crawling out of the rocks en masse was insane.

Looking forward to the final episode on cities. I'm fascinated with how animals adapt to those environments. Hope they do a good job with it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:13 pm 

In case you want more, there's Planet Earth soundscapes, which is just never-ending sequences of unused footage from the series.

Also available as a 91 GB torrent on your favourite distribution site.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:28 pm 
Singularity ∞

WOW! Yes! That's terrific.

I've actually put on those train ride videos from Europe multiple times for 6, 7, 8 hours at a clip, so I'm all for something like this.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:26 am 
Singularity ∞

Finished the series.

Islands was just more of the same. So / so.

Mountains was weak.

Jungles was pretty solid. Glowing bugs was good. Not my favorite camera work.

Deserts was terrific. Gorgeous visuals and a real sense for the ebb and flow of life in these places.

Grasslands, also terrific. Stunning vistas. Jaw dropping. Some looks at truly interesting critters, too.

Cities was FANTASTIC and maybe the most interesting of the bunch, because it treated cities like any other ecosystem and examined how animals have adapted to it. I could watch a whole in-depth series just on this.

Overall still an essential watch, despite my dislike for the overly theatrical, in-your-face editing at points.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:12 am 
Singularity ∞

Chris Knight wrote:
In case you want more, there's Planet Earth soundscapes, which is just never-ending sequences of unused footage from the series.

Also available as a 91 GB torrent on your favourite distribution site.

Oh my god, thank you for this. I put one on this morning when I sat down to work and it's the best thing. The only downside is that I repeatedly find myself mesmerized.

I legit might seek out that torrent. I can easily see myself having this on all the time.

EDIT: I'm a little less enthused now that I see it loops as often as it does. Knew it looped, but not this much. There's only a small amount of footage here. Maybe twenty minutes, if that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:25 pm 

It's like all the other 24 hour videos on YouTube, just 10-15 minutes of content looped forever...you could make your own by grabbing the torrent and mashing them all together.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:36 pm 
Singularity ∞

Yeah, I could see just taking the original footage from each and making a single longer video from it, then looping THAT.