It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:37 pm 
Canyon

Can't say I didn't see this coming....

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/26/attack-of-the-show-and-x-play-cancelled-by-g4

Never watched much X-play (althought the writing was on the wall after Sessler left), but I know that AOTS has been in a steady spiral since Olivia Munn left 2 years ago and went into a straight-out nose dive when Kevin Periera left this summer.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:52 pm 
Black Hole

Bummer in a way about AotS.

I always like tuning in to see what Underwood is wearing to give me wood.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:52 pm 
Black Hole

I actually DVR it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:59 pm 
Canyon

I DVR it, too. But I haven't even been watching my recorded shows lately, it's been so bad. Like I said, this is no shocker to me. AOTS has been mishandled for a while now -- when K. Periera jumped ship, I knew it was only a matter of time. Getting Bailey to replace Munn was the first sign that something was up. Even Periera wasn't shy about hinting that he thought she was wrong for the show (even right in front of her -- on the show sometimes).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:16 pm 

AOTS has been unwatchable since Kevin left. The 2nd half of each show is just an interview that goes on forever, and the guest co-hosts are all terrible. Kevin's new show on Syfy (with Adam Sessler!) doesn't exactly look good either.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:01 pm 
Pollution Baby

What will happen to Morgan Webb?

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:15 pm 

I'm sure she'll find something...I've seen her on a couple of Geek & Sundry shows (Tabletop most recently).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:28 am 
Canyon

Can't say I'm all that concerned about Morgan Webb. I know she certainly has her fans but she was the one reason I never watched X-Play. Pretty and knowledgeable? Yes, but saddled with one of the most unpleasant dispositions of any TV host I've ever seen. She had this annoying and thinly-veiled contempt for nearly every one of her male co-hosts. It made her unwatchable for me. Which is really saying something because good looks can make me overlook a GREAT many unsavory personality quirks (i.e. Olivia Munn). Not so with Webb.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:45 am 
Pollution Baby

I never got a contempt vibe from Webb, just not as openly flirtatious as that big tittied blond chick is now.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:46 am 
Canyon

Ericubus wrote:
I never got a contempt vibe from Webb, just not as openly flirtatious as that big tittied blond chick is now.

It's not that. Candace Bailey isn't very flirtatious but still seems like a nice girl (despite her failings as a host). Maybe contempt isn't the right word. Maybe a bit of a superior attitude. Whenever she would guest host on AOTS, it was a disaster. It was always clear that she didn't care for Kevin (or for that matter, the juvenile humor that would permeate the show.) I don't know, something about her just rubs me the wrong way.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:09 am 
Pollution Baby

I couldn't find the video, but if you ever run across Morgan Webb interviewing Angelina Jolie about Tomb Raider, Angelina is 100% condescending to Morgan, "Lara Croft probably wouldn't play video games.", and she's at a loss for what to do. You'd probably love it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:44 am 
Canyon

Ericubus wrote:
I couldn't find the video, but if you ever run across Morgan Webb interviewing Angelina Jolie about Tomb Raider, Angelina is 100% condescending to Morgan, "Lara Croft probably wouldn't play video games.", and she's at a loss for what to do. You'd probably love it.

I think I've seen that. From what I hear, Jolie could give a master class in being an unconscionable bitch. Turns out she's fucking clueless, too. I will give Webb props for knowing her shit, though. She's a true gamer, through and through. Easily Sessler's equal. Just not a very personable host IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:52 am 

Morgan Webb looked surprisingly hot during the Best Games of 2012 show. Her and the douchey co-host spent the entire show mentioning they and the crew would be unemployed by the time the show aired.

I just read that the entire network is shifting to a new demographic, stylized after GQ magazine.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:43 pm 
Canyon

Chris Knight wrote:
Morgan Webb looked surprisingly hot during the Best Games of 2012 show. Her and the douchey co-host spent the entire show mentioning they and the crew would be unemployed by the time the show aired.

I just read that the entire network is shifting to a new demographic, stylized after GQ magazine.

Actually, it's Esquire -- geared towards the "modern male" or some shit. I won't be watching any of it.

I'm going to miss the old days of Tech TV and G4. Nobody else was doing shit like that. From 2007 to the middle of 2010, AOTS was must-watch for me. I never missed an episode -- I'd even catch the replays the next day if I could. Sad to see how it all ended. I still have the final episodes on my DVR but I've heard they're so bad that they're not even worth watching. I should just delete 'em.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:06 pm 

A bunch of Tech TV vets ended up at Revision 3. Great place, until Kevin went to Google/DiggNation ended. I still watch Tekzilla, if only for Veronica Belmont (she's also on the awful Sword & Laser YouTube show).

There should be a Veronica Belmont TV network.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:35 am 

Downhuman wrote:
Chris Knight wrote:

Actually, it's Esquire -- geared towards the "modern male" or some shit. I won't be watching any of it.

I'm going to miss the old days of Tech TV and G4. Nobody else was doing shit like that. From 2007 to the middle of 2010, AOTS was must-watch for me. I never missed an episode -- I'd even catch the replays the next day if I could. Sad to see how it all ended. I still have the final episodes on my DVR but I've heard they're so bad that they're not even worth watching. I should just delete 'em.

You may want to watch the last episode. Listening to Matt Mirah on the Nerdist podcast, he said they did some things on that episode that the network may not even allow to air. He was pretty bummed about the way things went out also and bagged on the final days of the show pretty hard, but he was very proud of the last episode. At least he was proud of the way it was shot. Can't be sure how it was edited. I haven't seen it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:03 am 
Black Hole

Chris Knight wrote:
A bunch of Tech TV vets ended up at Revision 3. Great place, until Kevin went to Google/DiggNation ended. I still watch Tekzilla, if only for Veronica Belmont (she's also on the awful Sword & Laser YouTube show).

There should be a Veronica Belmont TV network.

Pictures?

8-)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:02 pm 
Canyon

I wasn't aware of how great of a body she has until I saw this picture. She's cute and actually comes off way better on video. YouTube her. Her face reminds me of Sara Underwood's a little -- like she's her brainier but still painfully adorable sister or something (without the little girl voice, though).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:41 pm 
Black Hole

I thank you.

:thumbs:

8-)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:06 pm 
Singularity ∞

Downhuman wrote:

I wasn't aware of how great of a body she has until I saw this picture. She's cute and actually comes off way better on video. YouTube her. Her face reminds me of Sara Underwood's a little -- like she's her brainier but still painfully adorable sister or something (without the little girl voice, though).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:10 am 
Black Hole

<------ IN-LOVE TRUE BELIEVER

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:16 pm 
Site Admin

Chris Knight wrote:
AOTS has been unwatchable since Kevin left. The 2nd half of each show is just an interview that goes on forever, and the guest co-hosts are all terrible. Kevin's new show on Syfy (with Adam Sessler!) doesn't exactly look good either.

AOTS has sucked since Munn left, actually.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:19 pm 
Site Admin

caryc wrote:
Downhuman wrote:
Chris Knight wrote:

You may want to watch the last episode. Listening to Matt Mirah on the Nerdist podcast, he said they did some things on that episode that the network may not even allow to air. He was pretty bummed about the way things went out also and bagged on the final days of the show pretty hard, but he was very proud of the last episode. At least he was proud of the way it was shot. Can't be sure how it was edited. I haven't seen it.

Nerdist is great. They were calling the new G4 format Bro-vo.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:40 pm 
Canyon

Surf Monkey wrote:
Chris Knight wrote:

AOTS has sucked since Munn left, actually.

Agreed. I stayed on after she left because of Kevin Pereira but it was hard to watch him without a real partner beside him. Watching him lob greatfruit-sized jokes at Candace only to have her completely drop the ball on them EVERY TIME was infuriating. Don't get me wrong, I actually liked Candace quite a bit. But she shouldn't have been the co-host. Munn certainly wasn't the tech geek goddess with gamer cred that she wanted everyone to believe she was but she was the perfect match for Pereira. When those 2 would get a head of steam on them, it was A+ comedy. They played off each other perfectly. At their best, I found myself laughing at shit that I probably shouldn't have been laughing at (the whole fat-suit episode comes to mind). When Pereira would pull that earpiece out, you knew some truly funny shit was about to go down.

Damn, I miss those days of AOTS.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:01 pm 
Black Hole

My PC says, Candace cried at the end.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:15 am 
Site Admin

They should have made Chris Hardwick and Alison Haislip the hosts after Munn left. They had the right chemistry.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:57 pm 
Canyon

G4 lives!!!...for now.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/10/esquire-network-to-launch-on-style-rather-than-g4

NBCUniversal is still unsure what it will do with the channel, but it looks like it's been given a stay of execution.

My advice: Get some old TechTV execs back on the payroll and put them in charge of programming. Ditch the syndicated reality show nonsense and get honest-to-goodness video games back on the air. Their E3 coverage was always pretty damn comprehensive.

I know none of that will happen.

On a side note, my wife is pissed that Style (Esquire's new target) is going away.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:57 pm 

Yeah, it's a bit fucked up at Comcast. With minimal cash, they could lure Felicia Day's Geek & Sundry, and all of Revision 3. Instant geek channel.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:59 am 

So, I was browsing the internetz a few weeks ago, and came across The Attack, on Twitch. It's Kevin Pereira's attempt to bring back elements of AOTS. It's horribly low budget (and has the look and feel of a late 80s cable access show), and airs a few times a week as a 2 hour live broadcast. Sometimes it's dull/pointless, but occasionally they nail it. Especially when there's a cute sidekick on the show. If they could just condense this to an hour, and ramp up the production value a bit, I could get very addicted.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:40 am 
Canyon

Chris Knight wrote:
So, I was browsing the internetz a few weeks ago, and came across The Attack, on Twitch. It's Kevin Pereira's attempt to bring back elements of AOTS. It's horribly low budget (and has the look and feel of a late 80s cable access show), and airs a few times a week as a 2 hour live broadcast. Sometimes it's dull/pointless, but occasionally they nail it. Especially when there's a cute sidekick on the show. If they could just condense this to an hour, and ramp up the production value a bit, I could get very addicted.

I will definitely check that out. I was just mentioning to my wife the other day about how much I missed AOTS (especially the Munn years). Still some of the funniest shit I've ever seen on television.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:01 pm 

In a way, it reminds me more of Screen Savers (which was AOTS before the name change), in that it's more chaotic. There's lots of unexpected shit that happens, and lots of off-screen hi jinks that catches the host off guard. If you liked the what-the-fuck-just-happened moments of AOTS, then this is up your alley.