It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 6:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Agents of SHIELD
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:41 pm 
Singularity ∞

Just about done watching the first season. Quick verdict:

The first half of the season sucks. Bad television not worth watching.

Second half of the season is good stuff that gets better with every episode, ties in closely with Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and is a good watch (especially for Marvel movies fans).

Recommendation: If you're a Marvel strong movieverse fan, start with episode 10. You'll get up to speed pretty quick. If you're a casual movieverse fan, start with episode 16. Everyone else, skip it.

Post subject: Re: Agents of SHIELD
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:07 pm 

Agreed that the show improved IMMENSELY in the post-Winter Soldier second half of the season...before that, it just kind of meandered around with no real momentum. The fact that two of the lead actresses are ringers for Keira Knightley and Mary Elizabeth Winstead certainly helps, though. :)

Looking forward to the new Agent Carter series next year, if only for a weekly dose of Hayley Atwell.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:20 pm 
Black Hole

I enjoyed every aspect of it.

It was like watching an early 1980s "Superhero" TV show that evolves to modern TV finesse by the end of one fucking season.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:24 am 
Singularity ∞

Season 2 off to a good start!

The Howling Commandos!

Boobs McGee!

Absorbing Man!

HYDRA!

Kraken!

Whoever the hell Lucy Lawless is supposed to be!

Seriously, though, that was a very good start to the season.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:08 am 
Black Hole

It has been a great ride, so far.

Every aspect has been compelling and well-written.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:11 am 
Singularity ∞

Last season, I thought the characters were mostly shallow and poorly acted. This season, seeing Fitz in his state has been heartbreaking and that actor has NAILED it, and the generic dude playing Ward is showing all sorts of nuance this time around. It's not essential TV, but it's far better than it was.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:06 pm 
HMFIC

Every character is shallow until they've been fleshed out.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:04 pm 

Shoe wrote:
Last season, I thought the characters were mostly shallow and poorly acted. This season, seeing Fitz in his state has been heartbreaking and that actor has NAILED it, and the generic dude playing Ward is showing all sorts of nuance this time around. It's not essential TV, but it's far better than it was.

I hope the ratings get better. The show started off way too slow and lost a lot of viewers (I almost quit watching but Bill Paxton owns and saved it). I'm really enjoying it right now though.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:54 am 
Singularity ∞

Agreed. The shitty start it got off to really hurt it, because a LOT of people dropped out before it got good. The ratings are now 1/3 what they were when it launched.

From what I understand, it still does gangbusters on Tivo and whatever -- I forget what they call that metric, "secondary viewing" or some shit like that -- so they still consider it a success.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:19 pm 
Singularity ∞

For anyone who watched tonight, the stuff you saw was planting the seeds for a movie that is still four years away.

Pretty neat.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:51 am 
Black Hole

I think the breasts inside that Star Wars shirt need my attention.

Adrianne Palicki here I cum.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:29 am 
Singularity ∞

Except for that really strong final 15 minutes, this one was kind of treading water. Some good humor with Oswalt, but mostly blah.

Spoiler: show
This last episode really only needed to accomplish two things: get both sides converging on the city, and get Skye into the hands of HYDRA/Ward. Both were done quickly, and in the final minutes of the episode. The rest was a lot of killing time until that happened.

I guess getting hold of Reina and then having her switch sides was important, too, but did that require 45 minutes of cat and mouse?

My point is, last week ended on a certain status quo -- "We have found the city, let's get inside!" -- and this episode did not budge from that status quo. I felt a real lack of forward momentum, despite some decent character developments (the science duo, Max, Agent 33's return, etc.). At this juncture, just one episode before the finale, I feel like the show should be moving with a relentless pace. Instead, things were in a holding pattern.

I'm not saying it was BAD. The turn with Max was good. I like that they're playing out the Fitz & Simmons story. More Reina is always good to me. Agent 33 looks like she could develop into a good nemesis. Mockingbird's boobs were amazing.

Just sayin'.

Bring on the winter finale!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:39 am 
HMFIC

So... winter finale has come and gone (I think), and the title is "What They Become."

What do they become?

Inhumans, I think. And dead in Trip's case.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:57 am 
Singularity ∞

You are correct.

Skye
is a character from the comics called Quake

Also, I didn't pick up on it, but it appears that Skye's dad is
Mr. Hyde, a fairly regular Thor villain

The bit that happened at the end of the episode was
The Terrigen Mist, which gives the Inhumans their powers

And plus there is the whole Kree thing.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:12 pm 
HMFIC

Also should've closed my spoiler tags. Fixed that.

Yeah, I recognized the
Terrigen Mists
, though I had no idea who Skye and her father were from the comics (though I'd have recognized him if he had his powers). Looked things up after I posted that and found all of that out, and confirmed that's what they've got in mind. Which is sort of cool, given how long in advance they're building that stuff up.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:10 pm 
Singularity ∞

It is an impressively long setup game they're playing, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:04 am 
Black Hole

Shoe wrote:
Mockingbird's boobs were amazing

:hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1:

Breast review. Ever.

8-)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:18 am 
Black Hole

I found it enjoyable, but not compelling.

I like Kyle MacLachlan's work. He hasn't disappointed here and he definitely has a good take on being an insane father, like Shoe. In fact, if Shoe were taller, I could totally see him carrying on about killing people and whatnot.

I think Patton Oswalt is an excellent choice since he was first introduced. His quirky geeksome manner is a good addition to the team and glad that he is now becoming a more regular addition.

Adrianne Palicki's breasts are already reviewed, but they deserve more praise and thinner material. Come on Marvel, we need headlights!

Overall, the entire cast and crew are doing an excellent job, but yes, the penultimate episode seemed more of a pause than anything and the Winter Finale didn't strike as hard on all fronts as it could have, but it also wasn't completely impotent.

I think it was a bit above a half chub.

Which is fine, since you're at the ball playing stage at half chub.

So, the Finale was playing with our balls and that is not a bad thing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:20 am 

Agent Carter premiere...thoughts? I dug it, but then again, I'm a sucker for that retro-40's style, and I could watch Hayley Atwell read the phone book. Plus, bonus Lyndsy Fonseca.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:33 am 
Singularity ∞

I liked it much better than SHIELD. Fast, fun, focused story, and it feels more like an extension of the movies than SHIELD does.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:52 am 

Yeah, it really got off to a fast-paced start, whereas SHIELD took the majority of its first season to finally gel. Then again, Carter will only have an eight-episode first season as opposed to 22 for SHIELD, which is why the latter show had a lot more padding. I'm honestly surprised more network shows haven't taken the cable route of shorter, 13-episode-or-less seasons...it eliminates long, annoying breaks, tightens up the storytelling, and frees up more airtime to try out new shows and not have to fill up entire nights with two-hour blocks of reruns. Of course, cable shows like Walking Dead and Mad Men have taken on the irritating trend of the "mid-season finale", which is every bit as much of a money grab as splitting the last book of a franchise into multiple movies.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:44 pm 
Singularity ∞

Monterey Jack wrote:
I'm honestly surprised more network shows haven't taken the cable route of shorter, 13-episode-or-less seasons...it eliminates long, annoying breaks, tightens up the storytelling, and frees up more airtime to try out new shows and not have to fill up entire nights with two-hour blocks of reruns

$$$$

They're not interested in producing the best show possible, they're interested in producing the most profitable show possible. More episodes = more advertising opportunities and a quicker road to syndication.

I'd prefer it, too. Those short, punchy cable seasons are a MUCH better viewing experience.

But I don't see network TV changing this any time soon.
Quote:
Of course, cable shows like Walking Dead and Mad Men have taken on the irritating trend of the "mid-season finale", which is every bit as much of a money grab as splitting the last book of a franchise into multiple movies.

It was irritating at first, but now I just look at them as short seasons ala many BBC shows. The Walking Dead may say they're on season 5, but as far as I'm concerned they're heading into series 9.

I kind of LIKE it, actually. You get a solid two months of new episodes, a break, then more new episodes to look forward to in four or six months. Cuts down on the wait between seasons and keeps you excited for the ongoing story. Also lets you marathon them in nice, digestible chunks. Basically, you get TV you like more often.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:49 pm 
Black Hole

Hayley Atwell's breasts are amazing.

I want to see more of them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:31 pm 
Singularity ∞

Watch Black Mirror.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:18 pm 

Shoe wrote:
Monterey Jack wrote:
They're not interested in producing the best show possible, they're interested in producing the most profitable show possible. More episodes = more advertising opportunities and a quicker road to syndication.

I wonder if "syndication" is still the big money-maker it used to be in the 80's and 90's...how many people will just watch whatever episode happens to be on TBS of their favorite show as opposed to buying the full-season DVD/Blu sets or downloading them to watch at their leisure? Once a show like Mad Men leaves the air later this year, the total number of episodes will still be well under the magic 100-episode mark that most shows used to strive for in order to be syndicated.

I still say less episodes = better product and a happier fanbase...when Lost moved to shorter, under-15-episode seasons beginning with the fourth one, the quality of the show took a sharp upturn, and the lack of irritating month-long hiatuses allowed the heavily-serialized storytelling to not lose any momentum. And the recent 12-episode resurrection of 24 cut out a LOT of the bullshit filler subplots that always plagued the show, even in its early seasons. Too often, a show takes a multi-week break, and I'm just struggling to remember what happened.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:38 am 
Singularity ∞

Monterey Jack wrote:
I wonder if "syndication" is still the big money-maker it used to be in the 80's and 90's...how many people will just watch whatever episode happens to be on TBS of their favorite show as opposed to buying the full-season DVD/Blu sets or downloading them to watch at their leisure?

It's not as important as it once was, but it's still a big deal and a big moneymaker if you can get there. Seinfeld has made $3 billion in syndication, USA is paying $1.5 mill per ep to air Modern Family, etc.

And despite DVD and streaming services, there are still LOADS of people who are content to put on the tube and watch whatever is on. Not everyone is as engaged in their viewing on the people on this site. Most people here are enthusiasts to one extent or another. That makes this group an exception, not the norm.

SHIELD, of course, is appealing to a younger demographic who is more wired into streaming services and the like, so syndication may not end up being as big a part of its long-range plan as with some other shows, but I'm sure it's had an influence on season length all the same.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:14 pm 

Really enjoyed the entirety of Agent Carter...hope we'll get a second season.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:50 am 
Black Hole

Monterey Jack wrote:
Really enjoyed the entirety of Agent Carter...hope we'll get a second season.

I thought the finale was a bit underwhelming.

Carter needs to show more of her bosom.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:36 pm 
HMFIC

I think that the fact that it's on TV instead of in a movie theater limits both the amount of spectacle they can budget for and the amount of bosom they can reveal. Though really, the 1940s setting is probably the culprit in the 2nd case.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:57 pm 
Black Hole

Eric wrote:
I think that the fact that it's on TV instead of in a movie theater limits both the amount of spectacle they can budget for and the amount of bosom they can reveal. Though really, the 1940s setting is probably the culprit in the 2nd case.

Not only did they have a black policeman, but I also spotted a mixed race couple in the background in that last episode.

So, yeah, I think more bosom is being deliberately withheld from being shared with we the viewers.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:14 pm 
HMFIC

I think you should start a petition.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:26 pm 

More Lady Sif is always a good thing. :thumbs:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:48 am 
Singularity ∞

I'm ready to drop this as a weekly watch and go back to binging between movies. Except for that brief stretch at the end of season 1, and an episode or two that makes the future look promising (though those promising episodes never materialize), this show is a bore.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:12 am 
Black Hole

Why did Adrianne Palicki's breasts have to be so turncoat?

Edward James Olmos is a great edition - playing a badass TV show boss since Miami Vice 80s days.

Interesting directions.

Not entirely expected and very well done, so far.

Everyone seems to be getting steaks.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:31 pm 
Singularity ∞

Could the tie-ins to Age of Ultron have been any clumsier?

This show is terrible and I am going to drop the shit out of it after the season finale. Not returning. I gave it a second chance after the Winter Soldier tie-ins were so strong, but it's bad.

Bad, bad, bad, bad.