It is currently Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ster Wers: Rabels
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:13 pm 
Singularity ∞

For Ck and whoever else

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/19/ ... e-revealed

Star Wars Rebels Premiere Date Revealed

We had heard that the much-anticipated new animated series Star Wars Rebels would debut in October, but now the official premiere date has been revealed. The special one-hour premiere event, called Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion, will first air on Disney Channel on Friday, October 3rd

Star Wars Rebels comes from executive producers Dave Filoni (Star Wars: The Clone Wars), Greg Weisman (The Spectacular Spider-Man) and Simon Kinberg (X-Men: Days of Future Past), with Filoni, Kinberg and Lucasfilm's Carrie Beck listed as the show's creators.

Rebels is set five years before the events of the original Star Wars film, A New Hope. The designs in the series are heavily influenced by original Star Wars trilogy concept artist Ralph McQuarrie.

FULL TEXT AT LINK

So, a show made by the folks who did The Clone Wars that serves as a lead-in to the original trilogy, presumably dealing with the build up of the Rebellion?

Sign me up.

Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Rebels
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:18 pm 

Meh, I'll give it a whirl but I'm not getting my hopes up.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:18 pm 

I never watched Clone Wars, because I found that movie "pilot" to be tremendously dull. I've heard that it does improve over time, though...worth sitting through?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:20 pm 
Black Hole

I am not getting my herpes up, either.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:43 pm 
Singularity ∞

Monterey Jack wrote:
I never watched Clone Wars, because I found that movie "pilot" to be tremendously dull. I've heard that it does improve over time, though...worth sitting through?

The "movie" was really just the first three episodes stitched together. It was a bad choice to release it theatrically. They weren't even good episodes and were far too cutesy.

By the second season the show becomes absolutely terrific, and the cute elements are all but dropped. The middle few seasons are some of the best Star Wars there is short of the original trilogy and Knights of the Old Republic. If you are a Star Wars fan, it's absolutely worth watching. You being an animation fan, I'd say it's worth it for you, too. It was a great show.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:03 pm 

Shoe wrote:
The middle few seasons are some of the best Star Wars there is

This is so very, very true. My only issue with the show is that the chronology is a bit whacky in the first three seasons (for instance, a character dies, then re-appears several episodes later). Apparently, it's intentional, but it's a bit jarring. Starwars.com even provides a chronological method of watching the show.

Rebels looks a bit more cutesy, and I doubt there will be nearly as much death in this series.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:57 am 
Singularity ∞

Chris Knight wrote:

This is awesome!

I've meant to go through the series front-to-back and finish off with all those season 6 and Netflix only episodes, which I never saw. Think I'll do it chronologically when I do.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:18 pm 
Singularity ∞

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:42 pm 
HMFIC

Chris Knight wrote:
My only issue with the show is that the chronology is a bit whacky in the first three seasons (for instance, a character dies, then re-appears several episodes later). Apparently, it's intentional, but it's a bit jarring.

"Apparently, it's intentional"? Who'd that come from, Lucas?

Guy has claimed a lot of shit was intentional from the beginning where it seems damned unlikely.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:50 pm 

Hey, this premieres tonight...getting some positive reviews from people who have already seen it...I'm slightly looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:57 pm 
Singularity ∞

Watched the first episode tonight.

Good, solid, fun start. The best thing I can is, it felt like Star Wars. A few rather clear nods to the flicks - maybe too many - but still very much its own thing. Not a lot of time to get to know the cast, but from what I saw the should be an interesting bunch.

If I've got one gripe, it's that they introduced Jedi way too soon. All that stuff should be at a minimum for this series, IMO. Granted, it was barely there in this episode, but the fact that they played the card at all felt like too much.

Still, fun stuff. I'm in.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:06 pm 

Thoroughly enjoyed it, and I agree that the inclusion of Jedi/lightsaber stuff is groan-worthy (I'm pretty sure that was Disney's mandate). Definitely look forward to seeing more.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:53 pm 
Pollution Baby

Everyone here enjoyed it. The Jedi stuff will be interesting if it is made part of canon, and will feel odd when Part VII comes out of it isn't. It was fun, we watched it twice already, and all those mini ones leading up to it we watched about 4 times each.
The inclusion of the elite officer was needed, as every other empire employee was like fighting through butter, and that dude at the end will be even more needed as it progresses, I'm sure.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:14 am 
Singularity ∞

Ericubus wrote:
The Jedi stuff will be interesting if it is made part of canon, and will feel odd when Part VII comes out of it isn't.

I'm a bit lost on what you mean here. Do you mean something like, "If he doesn't show up in Episode 7, then where did this Jedi dude go?"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:34 am 
Pollution Baby

Shoe wrote:
Ericubus wrote:
The Jedi stuff will be interesting if it is made part of canon, and will feel odd when Part VII comes out of it isn't.

I'm a bit lost on what you mean here. Do you mean something like, "If he doesn't show up in Episode 7, then where did this Jedi dude go?"
Ya, or at least have Luke be not the last Jedi, unless this new one, of course, dies during the Rebels run, with his new padawan.

After Return of the Jedi, we all assumed that Luke is the last 'living' Jedi and must start anew. Having another one, that the Empire knows about, so you would think the Emperor, and maybe Darth Vader, also know about, is a very big wrinkle. And, depending on the actual timeline, the kid might even be the right age to possibly be thought to be Anakin's kid.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:47 am 
Singularity ∞

Ahhh, okay, gotcha. Yeah, that would be a wrinkle, since the shows are considered canon (until they're not).

And since this is Disney XD, I really can't see them killing him at the end.

The same question kind of looms about Ahsoka, doesn't it? I didn't watch Clone Wars until the end, but as I understand it she lived and went off to live somewhere in secret.

Which, now that I think about it, means we should expect a cameo from her in this show, shouldn't we? Seems so obvious I can't see them not doing it. This is roughly halfway between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope, IIRC, so she'd be an adult by now.

Anyway, I'm kind of burned out on the Jedi thing. They don't need to be in every damn Star Wars story. I'm MUCH more interested in seeing stuff with just regular ol' people battling against the Empire in regular ol' ways. The more Jedi are pushed into every story, the less unique and interesting they become.

So I do hope they keep this guy's Jedi-ness at a minimum, because so far the show's off to a really good start. I liked the mini character previews, too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:00 am 
Pollution Baby

Shoe wrote:
The same question kind of looms about Ahsoka, doesn't it? I didn't watch Clone Wars until the end, but as I understand it she lived and went off to live somewhere in secret.

Which, now that I think about it, means we should expect a cameo from her in this show, shouldn't we? Seems so obvious I can't see them not doing it...
I haven't watched it to the end yet either, but in the Jedi death montage towards the end of Revenge of the Sith, there was a character that looked like Ahsoka, so I assumed it was her dying, but could be completely wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:07 am 
Singularity ∞

Nah, that wasn't her. I couldn't name the character offhand, but I do know it wasn't her because I recall reading a full bio of whoever that was and thinking it was ridiculous how a character who got literally 4 seconds of screen time had this big giant history written for her.

The Wiki entries say Ahsoka chose to leave the Jedi order at the end of the series.

That's all well and good, but leaving the order doesn't mean she's not still a Jedi, right?

She really surprised me as a character. When that series first started she annoyed the hell out of me. A kid crammed into the show for the sake of having a kid. But she evolved into a really good character, maybe the most interesting on the show.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:33 am 

Ahsoka is the best thing that happened to Star Wars in a very long time. It doesn't matter if she is never referenced ever again. You guys should finish watching Clone Wars.

Luke wasn't the last Jedi ("there is...another"), and Yoda wasn't exactly 100 percent there...ever.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:34 am 
Pollution Baby

Shoe wrote:
...She really surprised me as a character. When that series first started she annoyed the hell out of me. A kid crammed into the show for the sake of having a kid...
I felt the same way when I saw the movie in theaters. I hated it, and didn't bother with the series because of it. But, with you folks talking about it in that other thread here, I gave it another shot, and found myself loving it. We (kids and I) are about half way through season 3.

P.S.
Spoiler: show
I'm glad they killed off Ziro. His Louisiana drawl and persona just didn't fit in the universe, and was jarring to me. Kids were a bit shocked by it, however.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:01 am 
Minor Depression

Is this something I can watch with my two year old, or is it going to be too much for him? I saw a preview of it in the Disney Store and I couldn't tell. We are slowly introducing him to TV, so far he does really well with anything with a train or Mickey Mouse, but I'd really like to get him into Star Wars before we take him to Disney World in the spring.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:30 am 
Pollution Baby

i8piglet wrote:
Is this something I can watch with my two year old...

It assumes they know a bit about the Star Wars universe beforehand, and there is a good amount of fighting. Besides that it would probably be interesting enough to keep them watching. I would suggest having them watch the movies first, then get into the shows. They may develop a love of it better that way.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:30 am 
Singularity ∞

i8piglet wrote:
Is this something I can watch with my two year old, or is it going to be too much for him?

I don't know how well he'll follow it, but based on the first episode you shouldn't worry about seeing anything objectionable. What violence there is is standard cartoon fare. Lasers flying through the air, but no one really being killed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:08 am 
Minor Depression

Got it. I figure he won't really follow it. My concern is that he loses interest pretty quickly. He's fine with football and soccer, but he looses interest in baseball pretty quick.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:55 pm 

Finally watched the premiere...pretty fun so far. The animation obviously isn't Pixar-quality, but for TV, it's pretty damn good. The characters are a bit stock, but likable. Also appreciated that they didn't pull the G.I. Joe bullshit where you always see characters jumping out of exploding tanks, and parachutes coming out of crashing planes...you see characters actually getting shot and not escaping from exploding TIE fighters, which I kind of dig...it's certainly not violent, but I like that it's not overly sugarcoated. I'll certainly come back for more. I just hope they don't gratuitously shove in as many OT characters and locations as possible (a major flaw of the prequels)...it's time to expand the Star Wars universe, not contract it by keeping the focus on the same two-dozen characters.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:10 pm 

Clone Wars features many brutal death scenes (and it easily competes with Game of Thrones when it comes to killing off developed characters on a whim). I can't imagine a Disney show would take it quite that far, but this new show does have some of the same writers on board...so, there's hope.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:18 am 
Minor Depression

I watched the pilot last night. I don't think I'm going to show this to the kiddo just yet. It's definitely too advanced for him, but more than that I want him to know the Star Wars that I grew up with first, then I'll introduce these other story lines to him. I'll probably keep watching it, though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:20 pm 

I watched the pilot when it was on ABC in late October. I thought it was pretty fun. They have the episodes online until December 7th if you want to check it out: http://www.starwars.com/tv-shows/star-wars-rebels

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:11 pm 

It's fun. Good watch. Do recommend.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:56 am 
HMFIC

Jack's watched the original three movies and all the episodes of this. Had to show him this when he got some Rebels-themed toys for Christmas and said "Who's this?" Fun enough, but in an animated series where they don't have to worry about sets and locations, just designing a new planet, why is it that they always go back to the same planet where they found the Jedi kid? Like several of you have said, I'd like to see more new stuff, less repetition of existing stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:34 pm 
Pollution Baby

Somebody has to build those sets in the computer world, but, ya, more variety would make sense and be welcome

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:35 pm 

That's where hand-drawn animation is superior to CG stuff...it's much easier and less-expensive to create new environments for the characters to inhabit.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:23 pm 

Monterey Jack wrote:
That's where hand-drawn animation is superior to CG stuff...it's much easier and less-expensive to create new environments for the characters to inhabit.

That's a wildly inaccurate statement. And, yes, I would know.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:11 pm 

Been on a Star Wars kick since the release of the new trailer so I watched the first season of Rebels last week. I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected. It hit on just about the right balance of fan service and new characters, and the comic relief was a lot more restrained than I'd anticipated. I'm not wetting my pants in excitement, but I'll definitely check out the next season.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:50 pm 
HMFIC

Pretty sure the next season starts next month. Haven't told my son yet. He might wet his pants.