It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:13 am 
Canyon

http://www.digitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/011915_1145

It's still in negotiations but I can't see this not happening. Duchovny and Anderson will be back on board (I'd love to see Robert Patrick in the mix, too). Hopefully they can finally wrap up the core mythology properly.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:51 am 

As rank as the last season of the series was (to say nothing of that heartbreakingly lame second movie), I'd totally be up for more X-Files, so long as Duchovny and Anderson return in some capacity. If they could fit in Robert Patrick and Mitch Pileggi as well, that'd be cool. And if they could throw in a cameo by the Fringe cast, all the better. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:00 am 

For me to care, I'd have to watch X-Files to begin with and that's totally not happening.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:09 am 

The early seasons were great.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:09 am 

John Doggett better return.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:19 pm 
Canyon

Just FYI -- Netflix has started streaming the HD remasters of the original show in widescreen and Dolby Digital Plus 5.1. I haven't checked to see if every episode is in HD but the pilot at least is streaming in it's remastered form.

A few things of note. Any effects shots and stock footage are still in standard def. And -- more annoyingly -- they've completely changed the onscreen font for locations and time and such. The new font they're using is mildly similar and still white but it's different enough to call attention to itself for those who have watched this show countless times. A baffling choice.

The newly remastered footage looks outstanding although it doesn't make it look like a new show or anything. But it definitely stands out from the effects shots and stock footage. It doesn't look like it's been unnecessarily manipulated or color-corrected. And it definitely maintains the muted look of the show as intended.

My only question is why is Fox delaying the Bluray release (these remasters have been done close to 2 years now). I get the feeling that their recent decision to discontinue releasing The Simpsons season sets on disc may be an indicator of that.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:48 pm 

Downhuman wrote:
Just FYI -- Netflix has started streaming the HD remasters of the original show in widescreen and Dolby Digital Plus 5.1. I haven't checked to see if every episode is in HD but the pilot at least is streaming in it's remastered form.

The first thirteen episodes are now streaming in HD.

Quote:
A few things of note. Any effects shots and stock footage are still in standard def. And -- more annoyingly -- they've completely changed the onscreen font for locations and time and such. The new font they're using is mildly similar and still white but it's different enough to call attention to itself for those who have watched this show countless times. A baffling choice.

Dammit, I hate changes like this...it might seem petty to complain about something as minor as location title cards, but I vividly remember what they looked like from back in the day. It's just as annoying as DVDs and Blus that have player-generated subtitles for movies that had a distinctive font in theaters.

Quote:
My only question is why is Fox delaying the Bluray release (these remasters have been done close to 2 years now). I get the feeling that their recent decision to discontinue releasing The Simpsons season sets on disc may be an indicator of that.

Maybe the release of the new episodes this fall(?) will make Fox pull the trigger on a Blu-Ray set, even if it's only the first season. Then again, Fox never got beyond season two of That 70's Show on Blu, and if they're abandoning releases of The Simpsons on Blu, the likelihood that we'll get the full run of X-Files in HD is pretty remote. Of course, post-season 5 X-Files is less than essential, but still. It's like Fox never releasing the early (i.e. good) seasons of 24 on Blu, despite the Live Another Day season from last summer (and while it's not Fox, it's annoying that the first five seasons of Smallville seem doomed to standard-def DVD quality).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:24 pm 
Canyon

Monterey Jack wrote:

Quote:

Dammit, I hate changes like this...it might seem petty to complain about something as minor as location title cards, but I vividly remember what they looked like from back in the day. It's just as annoying as DVDs and Blus that have player-generated subtitles for movies that had a distinctive font in theaters.

I don't think it's a minor change at all. The generic look of those original fonts were not only distinctive but a direct nod to the name of the show itself -- mimicking the look of something typed with a traditional typewriter for a "file". The new font looks like the default font from Microsoft Word or something. I totally get that they needed to re-do them for the new widescreen composition but I don't understand the need to change it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:05 pm 

Downhuman wrote:
I totally get that they needed to re-do them for the new widescreen composition but I don't understand the need to change it.

It's most likely the work of an assistant editor, who is either a paid intern, or someone who lacks both the experience (they will be in their early 20s) and financial incentive (they are being paid minimum wage in NYC or LA) to find and install the original font that was used. So, there was nothing malicious about this text change decision...it's just that nobody from the original production was asked to contribute to quality control (because, very likely, there was no budget for it).

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 7:55 pm 

Watched the first two eps tonight...am very impressed by how nice they look. The widescreen framing takes a little getting used to (even if the show was shot so that it could conceivably be re-framed for widescreen in the future, I'm still used to that 1.33:1 box), but the image looks very crisp without being unnecessarily "scrubbed" to make it look more modern. I'm amazed how little grain there is, considering the abundance of nighttime footage.

Ahhh, nostalgia...scary to think I was only about a year out of high school when this show premiered. Funny to see Mulder toting around a brick-sized cell phone with a GIANT RETRACTABLE ANTENNA.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 6:25 pm 

January 26th is the release date of the new season.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:38 pm 

And I say to myself / it's wonderful / wo-o-o-o-o-o-o-nderful...

Also December 8th is the supposed release date of the complete series on Blu-Ray.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:59 pm 

I'm still disappointed in it being only 6 episodes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:53 pm 

I'll take six quality episodes over 22 mediocre ones.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:46 pm 

Got the first seven seasons on Blu-Ray in the mail tonight...watched the season one finale ("The Erlenmeyer Flask") and the first three episodes of season two (including the classic "The Host", with series writer Darrin Morgan as the Flukeman). As good as the remastered episodes look on Netflix, they look even better here...this is the most gorgeous HD restoration of a classic TV series since The Twilight Zone. It's still odd watching the show in widescreen, but I'll take a sliver of missing information at the top and bottom for image quality as stunning as this. It's going to be a nostalgic blast revisiting these episodes over the next few months.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:09 am 

Monterey Jack wrote:
this is the most gorgeous HD restoration of a classic TV series since The Twilight Zone.

Dude, if you haven't watched The Prisoner, fucking watch The Prisoner.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:06 am 

Sadly, there are some very rough-looking shots in "Duane Barry" and "Ascension " (especially the former), which honestly look like upscaled VHS. If the rest of the episodes didn't look so pristine, it wouldn't be so bad, but these admittedly brief scenes look quite terrible, like Fox lost the original negatives and had to patch them up with whatever was available. Still, I can deal with the occasional shitty-looking stock shot or F/X composite, considering how miraculously good the rest of the episodes look.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:20 am 
Canyon

Monterey Jack wrote:
Sadly, there are some very rough-looking shots in "Duane Barry" and "Ascension " (especially the former), which honestly look like upscaled VHS. If the rest of the episodes didn't look so pristine, it wouldn't be so bad, but these admittedly brief scenes look quite terrible, like Fox lost the original negatives and had to patch them up with whatever was available. Still, I can deal with the occasional shitty-looking stock shot or F/X composite, considering how miraculously good the rest of the episodes look.

Keep in mind, all of the effects shots are still going to be in standard def culled from the original masters. Fox didn't pony up to have all of the effects redone like CBS Paramount did for Star Trek: TNG.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:42 pm 

The thing is, the bad-looking shots in "Duane Barry" aren't even F/X shots...it's just Duchovny in a room talking to CCH Pounder. All the shots of her look pristine while the reverse shots of him look like crap.

Again, 90% of the show looks miraculous, like it could have been shot yesterday, so I can't complain too much.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:16 am 

It's been a gas going through the early seasons of this and catching future celebs before they were famous, like Giovanni Ribisi and Jack Black in season three's "D.P.O."...

...and Ryan Reynolds(!) in the same year's "SYZYGY".

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:14 pm 

Only three days away...pleasedon'tsuckpleasedon'tsuckpleasedon'tsuck.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:16 pm 

Also caught "Lucy Alexis Liu" in the season three ep "Hell Money".

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:41 am 

God, Mulder sounds old...hoarse and gruff, like he just got over a bad cold.

Second ep was definitely better than the first, but I'm really waiting for next week's Darin Morgan installment.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:48 pm 
Singularity ∞

Monterey Jack wrote:
It's been a gas going through the early seasons of this and catching future celebs before they were famous, like Giovanni Ribisi and Jack Black in season three's "D.P.O."...

The Shoes are in the midst of going through the series again (Shoe Jr. for the first time), though we're only watching the mythology episodes.

I had broken out the Mythology DVD sets, but they look like SHIT compared to the streaming, so we're streaming them on Prime instead.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:28 pm 

Watching only the Mythology eps of The X-Files would be a very dissatisfying experience for me (especially considering how it petered out into nothingness after season six)...many of the best character-building Mulder/Scully moments are in the MOTWs.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:24 am 
Singularity ∞

Too many episodes to watch them all. Who has time for that shit?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:17 pm 

Shoe wrote:
Too many episodes to watch them all. Who has time for that shit?

:unsure:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:02 pm 
Singularity ∞

Well, I mean ...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:31 pm 

Oh, I know what you mean.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:47 pm 
Black Hole

So, I had to wait for the first episode to hit the OnDemand before I could watch the other DVR'd episodes.

The first episode seemed rushed and bit convoluted.

Hopefully it becomes more cohesive with the following episodes.

Not that X-Files has ever been more than "confused".

I am really just hoping for The Lone Gunmen to make an appearance.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:38 pm 
Singularity ∞

Monterey Jack wrote:
Oh, I know what you mean.

I didn't actually. Was just making a joke based on your response.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:16 am 

Pender wrote:
So, I had to wait for the first episode to hit the OnDemand before I could watch the other DVR'd episodes.

I've just watched the first two this week. I thought the same about the first one. I won't comment on the second so I don't spoil it for you, however I will say that I've heard episode three is pretty great. I'm hoping to watch that one tonight.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:25 am 
Singularity ∞

Give me the best / most essential monster of the week for each season. Just one per season.

Just fucking one.

Skip seasons 1 & 2, and the later stuff without Mulder.

Just the best of the MOTW eps from each season to mix in with the mythology stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:20 am 
Black Hole

caryc wrote:
Pender wrote:

I've just watched the first two this week. I thought the same about the first one. I won't comment on the second so I don't spoil it for you, however I will say that I've heard episode three is pretty great. I'm hoping to watch that one tonight.

Power watched the following episodes and definitely loved Rhys Darby (Flight of the Conchords) episode. It had my wife saying, "what the fuck are we watching? This is the weirdest show I've ever seen."

Plus, it had Scully's boobs.

OMG, her boobs are wonderful.

Thankfully, the next episodes have been a bit more cohesive - if not at least more entertaining.

Anyone else notice that Chris Carter was exactly the JJ Abrahams of back then?

I seriously can't tell them apart.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:31 am 

Shoe wrote:
Give me the best / most essential monster of the week for each season. Just one per season.

Just fucking one.

Skip seasons 1 & 2, and the later stuff without Mulder.

Just the best of the MOTW eps from each season to mix in with the mythology stuff.

I take orders from no one.