It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:37 pm 

It bummed me out to see Colbert leave. Now Stewart is leaving the Daily Show later this year.

Sadness.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:09 pm 

I for one hope he's rebooting the Jon Stewart Show.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:09 pm 

I hope he's running for president.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:57 pm 

brian wrote:

wrong religion...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:05 pm 

Chris Knight wrote:
brian wrote:

wrong religion...

I don't get it

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:27 pm 

When Lieberman looked into running for President in 2004, it turned out his choice of religion would prevent him from ever winning.

Of course, Obama is a muslim, so I guess anything is possible these days...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:35 pm 

Every day, old people die.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:50 am 
Pollution Baby

The only thing that could make me happy about this is if he is running for office, but I'm guessing, and it has been mentioned in other places, that he is probably going to pursue more directing projects.

The question is will they bring in another host, or promote someone, or replace the show entirely?

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:31 am 

Supposedly they are replacing him.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:17 am 

Jason Jones seems like the most obvious replacement.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:28 am 

Chris Knight wrote:

That's what I was thinking, or if they wanted to go with a woman, Samantha Bee. I'm sure they'll make a ton of jokes about people jockeying for the position.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:04 pm 
Black Hole

Good riddance.

LOL

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:14 pm 

Kimfair wrote:
Chris Knight wrote:

That's what I was thinking, or if they wanted to go with a woman, Samantha Bee. I'm sure they'll make a ton of jokes about people jockeying for the position.

I don't find Samantha Bee funny. Jessica Williams is good. I'd enjoy Wyatt Cynac, if he came back.

Jason Jones was alright when he subbed. It's kind of a shame that John Oliver is off doing his thing for HBO, because he would have been a fine replacement for Colbert or Stewart.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:19 pm 

Yeah, but his HBO show is so fucking good.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:28 pm 

True.

There's just not enough of it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:25 am 
Pollution Baby

brian wrote:
Kimfair wrote:
Chris Knight wrote:

I don't find Samantha Bee funny. Jessica Williams is good. I'd enjoy Wyatt Cynac, if he came back.

Jason Jones was alright when he subbed. It's kind of a shame that John Oliver is off doing his thing for HBO, because he would have been a fine replacement for Colbert or Stewart.

Of the ones remaining, I think Aasif Mandvi would do the best job. He is restrained and smart. I didn't like when Jason Jones subbed, even though it was last minute, he just didn't have any command of the show, and comes off as to smarmy when interviewing. I like his segments., so maybe with so prep time he could do better. Jessica Williams is good to, she is amazing at cold interviews, but she is far to left leaning, even for that venue, to take week in and week out.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:25 am 

Ericubus wrote:
Of the ones remaining, I think Aasif Mandvi would do the best job. He is restrained and smart. I didn't like when Jason Jones subbed, even though it was last minute, he just didn't have any command of the show, and comes off as to smarmy when interviewing. I like his segments., so maybe with so prep time he could do better. Jessica Williams is good to, she is amazing at cold interviews, but she is far to left leaning, even for that venue, to take week in and week out.

You touch on the main concern I have with replacing Stewart. Jones and Bee both have "characters" they play on the show and unfortunately, I haven't seen anything that makes me think they can move past those characters in the anchor chair. I think Jones does come off as too smarmy and while I haven't see Bee try being the anchor my concern is that her style of comedy would overtake the "neutral" feel of the host chair.

Now I understand that Jon Stewart isn't exactly neutral but what I'm trying to say (poorly) is that he plays the foil to those characters in a way that I'm not sure Jones or Bee could do.

Personally, I'd like to see a week with Aasif Mandvi and a week with Jessica Williams. I'd also like to see a test run with Brian Williams. Sure he's discredited from straight journalism but this is a venue where he could redeem himself.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:47 am 
Pollution Baby

caryc wrote:
...I'd also like to see a test run with Brian Williams. Sure he's discredited from straight journalism but this is a venue where he could redeem himself.
That is the last thing the 'left' needs. Someone that will be immediately dismissed as a liar and fraud as a spokesmen. No, keep that guy far away from it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:25 am 

Ericubus wrote:
No, keep that guy far away from it.

Fair enough, but you have to admit that pre-scandal he'd have been great in that position.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:29 pm 

I'm leaning towards Aasif Mandvi as the best choice here as well. The more you think about it, the more sense it makes. Only if John Oliver decides he'd rather do a show 3 more nights a week (and really why should he) is there a better choice.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:30 pm 

I forgot about Aasif. He's pretty good as well. I haven't seen him on the show much lately though.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:49 am 

Quote:
Jason Jones, the longtime correspondent on Comedy Central's nightly news spoof, announced Tuesday he's leaving the show to star in his own as-yet-untitled comedy series for TBS, about a family's cross-country adventures on a road trip. Production on the 10-episode order is scheduled to begin this summer....

Jones co-created the series with his wife, Samantha Bee, who's also a correspondent on "The Daily Show." Bee is sticking with the Comedy Central show for now -- and presumably could remain on the network's shortlist of Stewart replacements.

Bee...

Ugh.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:21 am 

So apparently it's Trevor Noah. I can see this, his pieces have been quite funny. He sometimes had difficulty with the timing when he did stuff with Stewart at the desk. Hopefully that won't be an issue when he's alone. Interesting choice.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:21 pm 
Singularity ∞

This short standup set is pretty solid:

A few dull spots, and his timing is a bit odd, but when he hits it he hits it well. I'm now more curious to see TDS now than I have been in years.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:59 pm 

Kimfair wrote:
So apparently it's Trevor Noah. I can see this, his pieces have been quite funny. He sometimes had difficulty with the timing when he did stuff with Stewart at the desk. Hopefully that won't be an issue when he's alone. Interesting choice.

I heard rumors about that, but didn't invest much in it. His bits on the show have been a bit too serious. He's been on the show, what 3 or 4 times?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:47 pm 

The strange thing about watching Stewart's departure is that Colbert's cameo reminded me that I miss his show more. Damn.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:51 pm 

brian wrote:
The strange thing about watching Stewart's departure is that Colbert's cameo reminded me that I miss his show more. Damn.

He's been posting content on YouTube for months now (to promote his upcoming CBS show). The interview with Neil Tyson about Pluto is pretty funny, and the Eminem cable-access interview is right out of Tim & Eric. Some of his other stuff (like the promos running on TV) is a bit cringe-worthy. Still, can't possibly be worse than Jimmy Fallon's bullshit.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:28 am 
Black Hole

I had hoped that Jon had left in a way the same way he was taken out in The Faculty.

Interesting that his character name in that movie was Professor Edward Furlong (just like the T2 kid) and his name is Jon, which is essentially the same first name as John Connor.

Seriously, there is a huge connection there somewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:15 pm 

Pender wrote:
I had hoped that Jon had left in a way the same way he was taken out in The Faculty.

Interesting that his character name in that movie was Professor Edward Furlong (just like the T2 kid) and his name is Jon, which is essentially the same first name as John Connor.

Couldn't possibly be that the coach in The Faculty is played the T-1000.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:34 am 
Black Hole

Chris Knight wrote:
Pender wrote:

Couldn't possibly be that the coach in The Faculty is played the T-1000.

:lol: