It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:04 pm 

I am finally getting a chance to watch this. My wife and I have an agreement that we'll only watch an episode a night since we're so slammed with other stuff right now, so I'm only three episodes in and I'm getting exactly The Punisher character that I wanted to get. Can't believe how well they've handled him so far. Looking forward to seeing him develop over the rest of the season.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:19 am 

Watched Episode 4 last night and was amazed at how well they began pulling out Frank Castle's backstory. Better than any of the movie attempts. Arguably better than the comics themselves. My wife, who absolutely hated the Punisher character up to this point, was crying by the end of Berenthal's monologue in the cemetery.

Fucking superb.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:39 pm 
Singularity ∞

They really are knocking it out of the park with the Netflix shows. Between consistently excellent popcorn fare and these strong gritty Netflix shows, the only thing Marvel isn't rocking is network TV. SHIELD is fine, far far better than it started, but still only fine.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:09 pm 

I like watching SHIELD, but it's essentially forced to spin its wheels in-between big-screen Marvel movies. The Netflix shows are far more daring and compelling (and not just because they can feature more violence and language). I was anticipating that these shows would be PG-13 fare at most, due to the large audience of kids the movies attract, but I'm pleased at just how brutal they can be...Daredevil has featured fight scenes as kinetic and enthusiastically gory as anything in the Raid movies, and Jessica Jones got into some deeply disconcerting territory revolving around Killgrave's domination of women. And yet neither show is as joyless or pitilessly bleak for its own sake as Man Of Steel or Batman V Superman...there's still room for humor and enjoyable character interactions. I just wish we'd get a release date for both shows on BD.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:32 am 

Monterey Jack wrote:
Daredevil[/b] has featured fight scenes as kinetic and enthusiastically gory as anything in the Raid movies,

The biker fight at the end of this season's third episode, where DD has to fight his way out of the building after The Punisher has had him chained up... that may be one of the best choreographed fights I've ever seen. And the following episode where DD is fighting and at the same time stopping Castle from killing others is a great mix of brutality and humor.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:31 pm 

caryc wrote:
The biker fight at the end of this season's third episode, where DD has to fight his way out of the building after The Punisher has had him chained up... that may be one of the best choreographed fights I've ever seen.

Loved it when DD started using the chain attached to his wrist like Indiana Jones' whip, smashing the overhead lights. That was BAD-ASS. :thumbs:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:14 am 
HMFIC

Just finished the second season. I'm behind.

They fixed most of the stuff that bothered me about the first. The costume re-design was a big improvement, and I like that they worked it into the plot rather than just having him show up with a new one.

Never read many Daredevil comics, but I'm peripherally aware of some of the big plot points, so I was expecting Elektra to die. Not sure how closely they followed the books, but I was a bit put off by a couple things. What sort of crazy superpower bullshit was the Hand expecting from Elektra? And I got that the ninjas could suppress their heartbeat, but are they dead or what? They mention that one of them had apparently been autopsied, but if they delivered on that, I missed it (which is possible, since I'm usually watching these late at night after the family's in bed and might have dozed off). Why do some of them stay dead while some, apparently, come back? And how lucky was it that The Punisher just happened to find a huge cache of guns?

But those are nitpicks, and given the way the season ended, some of them may be addressed later. Overall, I enjoyed the 2nd season a lot more than the 1st.