It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:29 am 
Pollution Baby

That walk was brutal, but both the wife and I were thinking through that whole thing, she will be returning with an army, and all those fuckers are gonna die slowly with a lot of pain. It is kind of tough to watch a storyline where you root for both sides to get screwed over, but maybe George planned it that way.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:27 am 
Singularity ∞

Kimfair wrote:
Eric - since you have read the books, have we reached the end of the last book with what happened last night? Did Jon Snow die in the books, and did Arya go blind?

There are three of us, so not sure which you mean.

But to answer your question, yes, the show is caught up to the books (and in fact is slightly ahead of the books with some stories, specifically with Tyrion and Dany, who have not yet met in the books).

The incident with Jon was the cliffhanger of the last book. However, Martin has been coy as to whether or not he's really dead. There are several viable ways for his story to continue. I think it's a safe bet he's not done. His story is too key to the whole saga, since he's our connection to the stuff north of the Wall.

Arya's story plays out in a different order in the book. Yes, she is blinded, but it actually takes place BEFORE some of the stuff on the show happens. If you go to GRRM's website, he has a preview chapter of the forthcoming book that is from her point of view.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:41 am 
Singularity ∞

Al Pacino wrote:
Oh yea and the whole religious stuff with Cersei was terrible. It really was super rushed and made very little sense.

Very much so. That's one of several problems I had with this season.

The religious sect, that whole story basically upended all the rules of this world, didn't it?

We've seen time and again the ultimate power the king has in King's Landing, private armies, all that shit. We're to believe that those dopes can just "arrest" Cersei and there wouldn't be blood in the streets when the King's guard starts hacking their way into the temple? How the hell did that one dude get so much power overnight? It doesn't hold water.

Then flash over to Meereen. They spend all time time building the Unsullied up as an unstoppable force, the most feared warriors in all the world. They know no pain, they spend their entire lives training to fight, one of them is worth 10 other men, blah blah blah.

Then a few dudes with daggers managed to cut them to shreds pretty much overnight?

Really?

And how many damn chance meetings are going to happen? It's a huge damn world, but every other episode two main characters meet by chance in an out of the way tavern and trigger some new storyline. Holy lazy writing, Batman!

You can get away with that once or twice, but this show (and the books) pull that card too often.

And Dany's dragon ... they build up the dragons as the most fearsome predators that exist, beasts so powerful entire armies quail. The Targaryns conquered all of Westros with their dragons.

But a couple of spears by the dopes in masks is enough to almost take her dragon down?

Gosh, I guess they weren't as super powerful as we thought.

All that shit in Dorne, total filler.

There was lots of good stuff, yeah. The battle with the White Walkers was amazing, damn near feature film quality. The one Sand Snake chick had the best tits in the universe. Stannis burning his daughter (didn't happen in the books) was harrowing. Etc.

But overall, pretty weak season. I really hope they start closing things out rather than expanding the story some more, because just like the books, it's starting to wear out its welcome.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:00 am 
Pollution Baby

Shoe wrote:
And Dany's dragon ... they build up the dragons as the most fearsome predators that exist, beasts so powerful entire armies quail. The Targaryns conquered all of Westros with their dragons.

But a couple of spears by the dopes in masks is enough to almost take her dragon down?

I was assuming this was because the dragon was doing something it normally would not, which is dropping itself into the middle of enemies to defend my Khaleesi. Dragons are air to ground weapons. It was still able to put up with more than a little damage, take out many enemies at a time, and still rescue the fair maiden.

Shoe wrote:
Stannis burning his daughter (didn't happen in the books) was harrowing. Etc...
That was very very rough, I had never liked the guy to begin with, all of his motives were selfish, and his whole storyline was something I would rather have fast forwarded through, his one saving grace was his love for his daughter, but I am glad he got what was coming to him, even if, again, it was a fight I'd rather both sides lost. When he first came over that ridge and started barking orders of his plans, one of the first things was for them to dig a trench. Fucking really?!? In frozen ground, under the snow, you want to dig a trench with shovels? Fucking die, already, douche.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:27 am 
Singularity ∞

I never cared for the Stannis story, either, not in the books or on the show. The only saving grace of his whole arc was that it involved Davos, who I like. And I guess in the show, that you get to see redheaded witches amazing boobs a lot. She is so smokin' hot.

But yeah, didn't like his story and would have preferred it to be sped through, too.

At this point they just need to get Dany to Westros, start the White Walker invasion, and let the remaining Starks start fucking up some Lannisters.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:52 am 

Shoe wrote:
Kimfair wrote:
Eric - since you have read the books, have we reached the end of the last book with what happened last night? Did Jon Snow die in the books, and did Arya go blind?

There are three of us, so not sure which you mean.

This ain't meatspace. I meant Eric, not Shoe or Ericubus (as Eric was the only person whom I was certain had read the books). And I've read that GRRM had told the producers that Stannis would kill his daughter. The forced coincidental meetings are a bit much, but frankly it's shit like that that led me to stop reading fiction years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:59 pm 

Shoe wrote:
Al Pacino wrote:
Oh yea and the whole religious stuff with Cersei was terrible. It really was super rushed and made very little sense.

The religious sect, that whole story basically upended all the rules of this world, didn't it?

We've seen time and again the ultimate power the king has in King's Landing, private armies, all that shit. We're to believe that those dopes can just "arrest" Cersei and there wouldn't be blood in the streets when the King's guard starts hacking their way into the temple? How the hell did that one dude get so much power overnight? It doesn't hold water.

Then flash over to Meereen. They spend all time time building the Unsullied up as an unstoppable force, the most feared warriors in all the world. They know no pain, they spend their entire lives training to fight, one of them is worth 10 other men, blah blah blah.

Then a few dudes with daggers managed to cut them to shreds pretty much overnight?

Really?

And how many damn chance meetings are going to happen? It's a huge damn world, but every other episode two main characters meet by chance in an out of the way tavern and trigger some new storyline. Holy lazy writing, Batman!

You can get away with that once or twice, but this show (and the books) pull that card too often.

There was lots of good stuff, yeah. The battle with the White Walkers was amazing, damn near feature film quality. The one Sand Snake chick had the best tits in the universe. Stannis burning his daughter (didn't happen in the books) was harrowing. Etc.

But overall, pretty weak season. I really hope they start closing things out rather than expanding the story some more, because just like the books, it's starting to wear out its welcome.

So much this. So the moment Tywin dies this crazy religious group loses all fear and starts fucking with people around Kings Landing...We are then suppose to believe overnight she recruits religious leader and he has more power over everybody and nobody is going to do shit about it? The whole army just lets the queen and the kings mother sit and rot in a cell...

And like you said, Unsullied are getting killed everywhere by people hiding in masks like KNOWING people are hiding everywhere waiting to kill them yet they keep getting daggered to death.

I also love the chance meeting of whore dragon bitch to find ANOTHER army to fight for her which will surely happen like how fucking fortunate for her since the unsullied are actually terrible and needs to replace them with more warriors. We have the Starks who can't cross a road without dying a gruesome death and then we have this bitch who nothing can go wrong for and has people blindly following her for no reason outside of shes hot and has a dragon WHO TAKES 3 LIL SPEARS THROWN BY MEN AND LOOKS CLOSE TO DEATH. Fucking. Stupid.

Like you said, White Walker stuff was fantastic, best part of the season by far.

Stannis burning his daughter who he just told how much he loved her and would always do so...kind of hard to believe to see him change his mind and then burn her alive. OH AND THEY BUILD UP THIS BATTLE BETWEEN STANNIS AND BOLTONS AND WE DONT EVEN SEE IT! WAITED ALL SEASON TO SEE SOMEBODY GET OWNED AND THEY SKIP PAST THE ENTIRE STOMPING AND THEN WE DONT EVEN SEE IF STANNIS DIES? FUCK OFF! Oh but we get to see the aftermath and Ramsey stabbing a dude in the back who's trying to surrender...you know because Ramsey is evil...we get the fucking point goddamnit.

The only good part of the entire episode was the scene of Reek and Sansa jumping which the whole time I was thinking of The Other Guys and sure enough I was gonna make a video of it but somebody beat me to it...

Aim for the bushes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:05 pm 
Singularity ∞

I normally don't have much good to say about Reddit, but I spotted this post today and it's right on target:

The reason bad things happen on GoT has changed. GoT has gone from being a show that wouldn't cheat to help the good guys to a show that will cheat to help the bad guys.

When I complain about GoT lately people respond with "That's what the show has always been, this is what you signed up for, if you think this has a happy ending you haven't been paying attention." but I think this episode has solidified why I have a problem with the show recently.

The tragedy on the show used to be organic. People would die because GoT wasn't willing to give characters the 1 in a million lucky breaks that other shows give their protagonist.

Now the show doesn't just not give the protagonists freebies, it bends over backwards to fuck them over. Honestly, every military conflict in the last two and a half seasons has seen the wrong side winning.

Yara/Ashe and "The 50 best swordsmen in the Iron Isles" lose a fight to a shirtless guy with a knife and 3 dogs, which is roughly what you would encounter on your average domestic disturbance call. The 50 best swordsmen in the Iron Isles couldn't survive half an episode of "Cops"

The Unsullied and Baristan Selmy lose a fight against unarmored aristocrats with knives.

"20 good men" infiltrate the camp of the greatest military tactician alive.

The Unsullied lose another fight against unarmored aristocrats with spears, who honestly also make a pretty good showing against a dragon.

The Boltons, despite not being supported by most of the north, and seemingly not having any massive source of money, raise an army of tens of thousands and overwhelm Stannis.

Add to that the fact that the nigh omniscient Littlefinger was apparently unaware that the Boltons were fucked up wierdos and the show seems to be bending over backwards for tragedy.

http://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments ... en_on_got/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:32 pm 
Pollution Baby

Shoe wrote:
The Unsullied and Baristan Selmy lose a fight against unarmored aristocrats with knives.
You have mentioned this one before, and it didn't sit right with me, and now that I've thought about it. Those aristocrats most likely were not the ones doing the fighting, They had probably paid people to do that fighting for them. In the first one, the were overrun, and still ended up protecting Khaleesi. In the last one, it was a handful of them against a horde.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:38 pm 
Canyon

Ericubus wrote:
That walk was brutal, but both the wife and I were thinking through that whole thing, she will be returning with an army, and all those fuckers are gonna die slowly with a lot of pain. It is kind of tough to watch a storyline where you root for both sides to get screwed over, but maybe George planned it that way.

The whole time I'm thinking that the CGI pasting of Lena Headey's head on someone else's body was so sloppily done that it took me completely out of the moment. She's been plenty naked onscreen before (300) but she couldn't do it here?

The whole time I'm thinking, "Those aren't her tits."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:59 pm 
Singularity ∞

Ericubus wrote:
Those aristocrats most likely were not the ones doing the fighting, They had probably paid people to do that fighting for them. In the first one, the were overrun, and still ended up protecting Khaleesi. In the last one, it was a handful of them against a horde.

Even still, it's the Unsullied. They were built up to be the ultimate fighting force in all the lands. Grey Worm, old dude and their crew were barely outnumbers and they got taken down (by dudes with daggers, no less). That runs contrary to what we were told about them.

And then in the arena, half that crowd would have had to have been in on the assassination plot to overcome the Unsullied. Either that, or Dany only bothered to have a small amount of security on hand, which would seem ridiculous given what had been going on in the city.

It just strikes me as writers needing X to happen, so they arrange things to allow X to happen even if it doesn't really jibe with other aspects of the story. It's fine if you're squinting, but look too hard and I feel like you can too easily see the creators pulling strings.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:57 pm 
Sinkhole

Downhuman wrote:
Ericubus wrote:

The whole time I'm thinking that the CGI pasting of Lena Headey's head on someone else's body was so sloppily done that it took me completely out of the moment. She's been plenty naked onscreen before (300) but she couldn't do it here?

Can't remember where I read it today, but somewhere she said that part of it was that she was already showing from her current pregnancy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:57 pm 
Canyon

OdisN wrote:
Downhuman wrote:
Ericubus wrote:

Can't remember where I read it today, but somewhere she said that part of it was that she was already showing from her current pregnancy.

Well, that would make sense I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:26 pm 
HMFIC

Kimfair wrote:

One of the other Erics has already answered this, but I just want to point out: we've actually reached the point in this shit where you can spoil things for me. I haven't seen last night's episode yet.

Of course, the response to Snow's stabbing has been universal enough that you weren't really the one who spoiled it for me, and I figured it was coming anyway, but the tables have turned.

Shoe wrote:

In the books, much more is made of that, with the king much less in ultimate power, Cersei making repeated bad decisions without realizing it and frantically looking for a group from which to borrow money, and some history filled in about how the church used to have an armed branch that was put down with much difficulty, and how Cersei makes the very bad choice to re-arm them for political/financial/I don't really remember what reasons. And it was less overnight, having been much compressed for the show.

Shoe wrote:

Really?

Shoe wrote:
Even still, it's the Unsullied. They were built up to be the ultimate fighting force in all the lands. Grey Worm, old dude and their crew were barely outnumbers and they got taken down (by dudes with daggers, no less). That runs contrary to what we were told about them.

And there again, in the book, it was made clear that they were so effective because they followed order and fought as a unit, not that they were individually superhuman. It's not so much that one of them is worth 10 other men as it is that 100 of them are worth 1,000 other men. Ambushing them individually isn't specifically noted as their weakness, but what's said about them makes it clear that it logically would be.

Shoe wrote:

This rarely bothers me when we're dealing entirely with fictional characters (as opposed to real people appearing in fiction and meeting). It's not hard for me to think that the author's highlighting these characters rather than other, potentially analogous ones, because they're the ones that eventually will meet.

Shoe wrote:

...and in the book, it's made clear that they're not full-grown yet.

Shoe wrote:

In the book, there's a whole other subplot going on with a secret agreement (of which Varys is aware, but almost nobody else is) for the head guy of Dorne's son (who doesn't exist in the show) to marry Daenerys and the two of them to take the throne. There's also a reveal that Daenerys's nephew, who would be the heir to the throne, might actually be alive, and he invades Westeros. The head guy of Dorne's daughter (also not in the show) eventually gets sent to investigate, after being involved in the plot on the Lannister girl (which, in the book, doesn't involve Jaime), though some of that, I believe, comes from leaked chapters from the next book rather than the one last published.

There's another leaked chapter (and that might not be a completely accurate description, since the author posted at least some of them) that seemed to be getting set up last week, with Arya getting set to knock off one of the people on her list, though in the book it wasn't the one that showed up in the show. But Arya's story is happening very much out of order compared to the books.

Shoe wrote:

...and NONE of what I said in any way invalidates this. If you have to have read the books to understand plot points from the show, the guys making the show fucked up. And this season, you pretty much have to. Shit that was explained and built to a head in the books, like Cersei's arrogance and comeuppance or the politics in Mereen, was rushed and unclear in the show.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:30 pm 
HMFIC

Al Pacino wrote:
I also love the chance meeting of whore dragon bitch to find ANOTHER army to fight for her which will surely happen like how fucking fortunate for her since the unsullied are actually terrible and needs to replace them with more warriors.

The cliffhanger that storyline is currently at in the books, which I think is what you're referring to, is that she and the dragon run into the leftovers of her husband's group, which are led by one of his under-lieutenants who refused to follow her before. She's sort of supposed go to into retirement when her husband dies, and most of his people would try to enforce that. Or so it's set up in the books. They're not likely to just fall in and follow her, though it's not clear what is going to happen.

Again, something the books explained and the show didn't.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:42 pm 
Singularity ∞

Eric wrote:
If you have to have read the books to understand plot points from the show, the guys making the show fucked up.

I agree. And most of the stuff you clarify is stuff we can kind of guess or surmise or assume -- I assumed the books get deeper into the politics, for instance -- but you shouldn't have to. At least not to the extent the show asked us to this season.

The King's Landing stuff was especially grating, as the show should have made it a point to be more explicit about the politics at work there. The show has been rich with politics for four seasons, so there was no real reason to skimp on it now, especially when there was such game-changing stuff at play.

I don't know if Martin is going anywhere important with the Dorne stuff, but on TV, at least, it seems like that time could have been better spent on King's Landing politics. Get Jaime out of the city some other way (such as in the book; I know he's gone for a totally different reason there).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:41 pm 
Pollution Baby

Downhuman wrote:
Ericubus wrote:

I wasn't looking where you were looking.

I believe we need to know who that body double was then.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:45 pm 
Pollution Baby

Shoe wrote:
...It's fine if you're squinting, but look too hard and I feel like you can too easily see the creators pulling strings.
I'M TRYING TO BE POSITIVE, GOD FUCKING DAMN IT! BE POSITIVE WITH ME, YOU MOTHER FUCKER!

George will bring back Jon, everything is OK, we will have a meeting/song of Ice and Fire.

Right?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:01 pm 
HMFIC

Shoe wrote:
The King's Landing stuff was especially grating, as the show should have made it a point to be more explicit about the politics at work there. The show has been rich with politics for four seasons, so there was no real reason to skimp on it now, especially when there was such game-changing stuff at play.

I'd have been fine with splitting this season into two, adding more of the explanation back in, and not cutting storylines quite so ruthlessly. Not sure why they didn't do that, unless they're worried the interest and money would dry up before they got to the end if they did it that way. Pender, at least, would've been happy to see more of Arya's book storyline.

Shoe wrote:
I don't know if Martin is going anywhere important with the Dorne stuff, but on TV, at least, it seems like that time could have been better spent on King's Landing politics. Get Jaime out of the city some other way (such as in the book; I know he's gone for a totally different reason there).

I'm hoping that storyline bears some more fruit. At least in the show it gave an excuse to work Bronn back in, but then he wasn't really used much. It's very pared down, compared to the book, though. There was a lot more going on. Though even there, there's a sense of "Why is Martin introducing all these new characters we don't care about instead of giving us more Tyrion?"

At that, I think I probably enjoyed the Dorne stuff in the book more than the Iron Islands stuff. Though pirates might have made for better TV.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:38 am 
Canyon

Ericubus wrote:
Downhuman wrote:
Ericubus wrote:

Funny thing -- I think Lena Headey has a nicer body than the double they used.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:45 am 
Pollution Baby

Downhuman wrote:
Ericubus wrote:
Downhuman wrote:
Ericubus wrote:

Funny thing -- I think Lena Headey has a nicer body than the double they used.
For some reason I was thinking the scene with witchy woman when I responded to that, and not Cersei. But I didn't notice any CGI on the smaller screen I was watching that on.

But, expanding on that scene. Jamie is going to have a lot of pent up anger after that bitch poisoned his daughter, and Cersei will be looking for a real man to help take revenge, this is adding up to be some brutal religious nut job slaughtering, which I am always up for.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:24 am 
Black Hole

I hated the dragon being totally hurt by a spear.

Spears should bounce off the scales.

Other than that, the entertainment value for me is far more existential.

I enjoy how riled up people are out here about how fucked up shit is in there.

I watch it because shit is fucked up and the whole circus is a giant excuse to show fucked up shit.

If you haven't caught on yet, sorry to spoil it all for you.

If you paid any fucking clue, you would know this. They literally cut the head off sanity, reason, and good, when they cut Ned Stark's head off.

And they didn't do it right off the bat, no.

They fucking built it so you would know what they were doing.

From that point on it's like Lord of Flies meets Lord of the Rings.

It really is.

And I love it.

The whole thing makes me laugh my ass off.

Well, other than the dragons being vulnerable to any Joe Pitchfork with a spear. That part is just too stupid. But the rest of the show is replete with stupid and it is a tragic comedy. That is why it is truly entertaining.

Let the loonies run wild.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:29 am 
Black Hole

Eric wrote:
Pender, at least, would've been happy to see more of Arya's book storyline.

I dig the Many-Faced God.

Him and I are blokes.

I dig what he's selling.

Arya needs to get her head straight, boss.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:42 am 
Black Hole

Downhuman wrote:
The whole time I'm thinking that the CGI pasting of Lena Headey's head on someone else's body was so sloppily done....The whole time I'm thinking, "Those aren't her tits."

Those aren't her tits.

Not Her Tits speaks out about her role as Not Her Tits.

"...I hope the next thing I do will have my head in it!"