It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:47 pm 
HMFIC

Left it open-ended on purpose, and the dragons might also have prompted that reaction, but yeah, that's what I meant.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:51 pm 
Black Hole

Fucking SERPENTINE!!!

Does no one know these basics?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:35 pm 

Pender wrote:
Fucking SERPENTINE!!!

Criterion took took long in getting The In Laws out on Blu-Ray.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:12 pm 
Pollution Baby

Pender wrote:
Fucking SERPENTINE!!!

I was thinking the same fucking thing. Jon could have waited for Ramsay to let loose, then yelled to Rickon to turn either way, the flight time was long enough.

Awesome episode though, besides that little tidbit, awesome last 2 episodes, really.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:23 pm 
Pollution Baby

Kimfair wrote:
Eric wrote:
Who else cheered?

When Ramsay got bit? I know I did! The wife was horrified by how gory and bloody the episode was, but I said that Ramsay was such a bastard, he needed a truly horrible death.
I smiled like Sansa.

P.S. Sophie Turner seems like a decent person in the real. She has a good sense of humor about her character and criticisms.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:45 am 
Pollution Baby

So, the finally finale . . .

We finally have Jon's birth confirmed (partially, no dad named yet)
We finally have my Khaleesi setting sale for Westerous with big ass dragons
We finally see Cersei sitting the iron throne, you knew it was going to happen eventually, and is the first step to her complete ruination
We finally have winter upon us
We finally have Arya Stark the bad ass let loose on her list herself

Queen Cersei the Dark Hearted shows that I can hate someone and be happy for them at the same time. I fully enjoyed her torturing that sanctimonious bitch, and she was 100% correct in what she wanted her to confess to. Also kind of glad the whole sept blew away in a green glob of destruction, made heart wrenching due to Margaery's knowing and seeing but the religious nuts not listening.

Yes, we still need to see White Walkers in King's Landing, or even snow for that matter, but Winter is Here® so that is inevitable too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:09 pm 
HMFIC

Ericubus wrote:
We finally have Jon's birth confirmed (partially, no dad named yet)

It's Rhaegar, Daenerys's older brother. I believe somewhere in the show they said that Ned's sister was in that tower, living with him, and it was certainly made clear in the books. Also, HBO released an infographic of character relationships that confirmed it.

Spoilered for size:
Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:34 pm 
Black Hole

That was a lot of piano playing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:56 am 
Pollution Baby

Favorite meme so far...

Of course, he should have kept this a bit closer to his chest...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:02 am 
Pollution Baby

Close second...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:19 am 
HMFIC

No comments this year? Lots of spoilers follow.

I just re-read what we all had to say about season 6, and it's funny to think that we were saying that was a season at breakneck speed. This one flew by.

Not many deaths, though. And some very hard-to-believe near escapes. All the shit on the ice in episode 6, and miraculously the deaths are limited to redshirts (with the episode so confusingly shot that I didn't even realize there were redshirts there until they started dying)? Tyrion goes to a meeting alone with Cersei and lives? Not buying the second one remotely. She's a bloodthirsty incompetent bitch, and there's no way she'd be able to keep self-control and plot like they had her doing in that last episode (and before someone says "How could she have ended up in control of the government if she's so stupid?"... think hard about that question).

Cersei acting unbelievably sane and controlled. Tyrion giving nothing but bad advice. Jaime suddenly deciding, after all he's swallowed from Cersei, that this one last betrayal is too much. Jon Snow refusing, then bending, about whether he's a king or not. There were a LOT of characters acting like the writers needed them to in order to create drama or delay developments, not like the characters would naturally have acted. That was annoying, and I think a full 10-episode season might have given them room to earn more of those decisions (as well as give characters time to believably travel between locations). Though heading north to kidnap a wight was probably so stupid as to be inexplicable even with 20 episodes.

There was spectacle, though. Dragons and zombie dragons. And some good Bronn one-liners.

On the subject of poor characterization: yesterday morning, I'd have had Arya and Sansa's stupid conflict in there, but I was satisfied with the resolution that showed they'd been playing Littlefinger while he thought he was playing them. And fuck him. Glad he ended the way he did. Also, Jaime is much more disillusioned with Cersei much earlier in the books, and I'm looking forward, in 2030 or so (if the author lives that long), to finding out whether he somehow ends up meeting back up with Cersei in that version the way he does in this, and how that plays out.

And I'm not sure how I feel about that final reveal. I figure they sort of explained why Bran hadn't clued everybody in (if Jon's a bastard, does it really matter whose bastard?), but now the cards are on the table, I'm not sure how they want us to feel about the Jon/Daenerys fucking scene. In the books, it sort of feels like the reader is being set up to accept their possible marriage even though they're aunt and nephew, but I don't feel like the show has done enough to set up Targaryen's history of polygamy. Are they going to be disgusted when they find out? Will one die before they have to deal with it? Is she pregnant? I'm not sure what to think, and I'm not sure what the show wants us to think.

Also, what the fuck was Tyrion doing hovering out in the hall?

Also also, Jon's older brother (killed in infancy) was Aegon Targaryen. Stupid idea to give him the same name. Seems I've read somewhere that in the books, his name is likely to be Jaeherys (which the showrunners probably concluded was too close to Daenerys, in the same way they handled the Asha/Osha/Yara thing).

So ultimately, it was a fun season to watch but not an entirely satisfying one. There were things I wanted to see that I saw, but I feel like some of them weren't earned, and I've got concerns about them earning a satisfying ending with six episodes left in the series. Though I'm sure season 8 will have more spectacle.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:09 am 
Singularity ∞

I had no problem with the pace of this season. They SHOULD be sprinting towards the finish at this point.

What I had a problem with was that most of the back and forth was utterly insignificant. Stuff like the taking of Casterly Rock and all those shenanigans, who cares? That stuff was treading water. Most of this season was. The story has reached a juncture where it doesn't need that shit anymore. Just build to the damn climax.

The important stuff was good, though: Jon and Dany finally coming together, the army of the dead becoming THE threat, Cersei not caring about that, wrapping up some side stories (Dorne, Littlefinger), and some other stuff.

I was pretty lukewarm on most of the season, but the final episode redeemed it. The political stuff was superb, the resolution of the Littlefinger story was well earned, and so on.

Just wish they'd close that stupid fucking Greyjoy arc. NO ONE CARES!

At this point, the sole focus of the series should be drawing everything to a close.

Also, on that snow zombie episode, I had the same reaction. It wasn't even the timeline, it was the sudden red shirts, the fake deaths, and the implausibility of the whole scenario, plus the idiocy of Jon going there in the first place. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:38 am 
HMFIC

Shoe wrote:
What I had a problem with was that most of the back and forth was utterly insignificant. Stuff like the taking of Casterly Rock and all those shenanigans, who cares?

Who cares? Literally everybody but Jon Snow, at the beginning of the season. Daenerys didn't come back to fight white walkers; she came back to conquer. Maybe we didn't need to see it (though the show is amping up the spectacle, so that's why we did), but some of that was going to go on before the pivot to the real threat (for everyone but Cersei; her most in-character moment was deciding not to work with her enemies to prevent the apocalypse).

Shoe wrote:
The important stuff was good, though: Jon and Dany finally coming together, the army of the dead becoming THE threat, Cersei not caring about that, wrapping up some side stories (Dorne, Littlefinger), and some other stuff.

Forgot about Dorne. It's a much bigger part of the books, but seemed so inconsequential to the show (partly because other plotlines that had to do with Dorne were similarly cut) that I'd forgotten they resolved it. Maybe. What'shername is presumably still chained up in the dungeon next to her daughter's body.

Shoe wrote:
Just wish they'd close that stupid fucking Greyjoy arc. NO ONE CARES!

At this point, the sole focus of the series should be drawing everything to a close.

I'm guessing Theon plays a part that they view as necessary or they'd have killed him by now. And I agree they need to be working on the endgame, but I do think that, if they felt some of the things that characters did in this season were necessary to that endgame, they could have fleshed out their motivations given a bit more screentime. What if there'd been a few scenes throughout the season of conflict between Cersei and Jaime? Would've helped me buy him taking off to fight in the North (where the writers seem to want him to be) without it feeling like he was absolutely loyal until he snapped suddenly because Cersei acted once more the way she's been acting all along.

Shoe wrote:
Also, on that snow zombie episode, I had the same reaction. It wasn't even the timeline, it was the sudden red shirts, the fake deaths, and the implausibility of the whole scenario, plus the idiocy of Jon going there in the first place. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

All of that, yes. But the timeline, too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:11 am 
Singularity ∞

Eric wrote:
Who cares? Literally everybody but Jon Snow, at the beginning of the season. Daenerys didn't come back to fight white walkers; she came back to conquer. Maybe we didn't need to see it (though the show is amping up the spectacle, so that's why we did), but some of that was going to go on before the pivot to the real threat (for everyone but Cersei; her most in-character moment was deciding not to work with her enemies to prevent the apocalypse).

The thing is, stuff like Casterly Rock is side action. It's relevant only if you want to get into all the specifics of how the war will be won, but it's way too late in the story for that kind of nonsense. We've seen hours and hours (and pages and pages) of armies moving around and playing chess. That time is over. We all know the real meat is at King's Landing and the Wall. Get to it. Dealing with all that now is just filler; it's treading water. A line or two of dialogue talking about how armies are moving here and there is enough. We don't need full subplots on it. Not at this juncture.
Quote:
Forgot about Dorne. It's a much bigger part of the books, but seemed so inconsequential to the show (partly because other plotlines that had to do with Dorne were similarly cut) that I'd forgotten they resolved it. Maybe. What'shername is presumably still chained up in the dungeon next to her daughter's body.

I'd like to be chained up next to her daughter's body, too.

Or her's, for that matter. Both are wowzers.
Quote:
What if there'd been a few scenes throughout the season of conflict between Cersei and Jaime? Would've helped me buy him taking off to fight in the North (where the writers seem to want him to be) without it feeling like he was absolutely loyal until he snapped suddenly because Cersei acted once more the way she's been acting all along.

See, I didn't feel as if Jamie was loyal any longer and felt like they had done a good job of setting him up as someone who would walk away from Cersei in the right circumstances. Felt that way for a season or two, so when the moment finally came it felt pretty natural to me.

Your mileage, of course, may vary.

Re: Theon, obviously he still has a part to play, I'm just of the opinion that his arc is spent and whatever final thing they have planned for him just isn't worth the screen time at this point. The entire Greyjoy arc, sister and uncle included, has been a waste of time. Once that dickhead was killed, they should have aimed to wrap it up quick.

But that's just me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:58 am 
HMFIC

Shoe wrote:
A line or two of dialogue talking about how armies are moving here and there is enough. We don't need full subplots on it. Not at this juncture.

I agree that it's a distraction. I think we'll see more of those distractions in an attempt to spend the CGI budget. Spectacle. (Though skimpy spectacle, still--how long since we've seen a direwolf?)

Shoe wrote:
See, I didn't feel as if Jamie was loyal any longer and felt like they had done a good job of setting him up as someone who would walk away from Cersei in the right circumstances. Felt that way for a season or two, so when the moment finally came it felt pretty natural to me.

Maybe it's just in contrast to the book, where you see his thought process and he loses faith a lot earlier. In the show, he's still screwing her and seems pretty happy that she's knocked up again. I'm sort of hoping that the part he plays, leading Lannister armies and such, is taken up by some other character that's been left out of the series, and that Jaime is off doing something more interesting. I don't think the character's been handled well by the show.

Shoe wrote:
Re: Theon, obviously he still has a part to play, I'm just of the opinion that his arc is spent and whatever final thing they have planned for him just isn't worth the screen time at this point. The entire Greyjoy arc, sister and uncle included, has been a waste of time. Once that dickhead was killed, they should have aimed to wrap it up quick.

Other than when Theon was being tortured by Ramsay Snow, all the Greyjoy chapters in the book were dead spots for me. Lots of characters, introduced relatively late in the story, and that I didn't care much about. The Dorne parts, despite being similarly late to be introduced, fared much better for me.

I'm waiting to see if they redeem it all somehow, like they did Arya and Sansa's apparent conflict, but yeah, I'm yawning there, too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:28 pm 
Singularity ∞

I felt the same with the Greyjoy stuff in the books (which I stopped reading after #3). Even early on, they felt like a needless subplot invented because Martin wasn't quite sure where he was going and felt the need to keep extend the series after its big initial success.

Some aspects of Theon's story are interesting. The idea that he was a political captive who became part of the family, who then betrayed the family and who is crushed with guilt by his actions, is compelling.

But aside from the Ramsey stuff (which itself went on for far too long), most of how that played out both in print and on screen wasn't very interesting.

At least at this juncture there don't appear to be many significant subplots left to resolve.

The Clegane brothers will certainly have a final confrontation of some sort. The Mountain will die in some way. I suspect the Hound, too, maybe while killing the Mountain (though that seems a little obvious and lazy).

Some shit with Bran, I'm sure. (Whatever!)

And the Theon stuff.

On the show, at least, that seems about it when it comes to major subplots. Otherwise you've got the Wall/Dead and you've got the Lannisters, and of course who will take the throne.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:39 pm 
HMFIC

Shoe wrote:
Some aspects of Theon's story are interesting. The idea that he was a political captive who became part of the family, who then betrayed the family and who is crushed with guilt by his actions, is compelling.

That's a much more interesting story than he has in the books. He's a lot less guilty, and so far as I can remember (I'm re-reading and about halfway through the most recent book; maybe it happens in the part I haven't read in five years, but I don't think so) he never really has the realization that Ned Stark was really his father, at least not to the degree that he did in the show. When he and Jon were having the heart-to-heart and started talking that way, it felt wrong, since I've got the book's character more at the top of my mind than the show's version.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:19 pm 
Singularity ∞

Hmmmm. I don't remember either way about how he was presented in the books. It's been a long time since I read them. I felt like I saw the writing on the wall re: it actually getting finished a long while back and bailed on them back when you were still an asshole for suggesting they'd never get finished.

(They won't.)

For me, the show has become canon.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:28 pm 
HMFIC

You might be right. Guy's writing like a snail, and I doubt he'll finish in the two books he's claiming it'll take him. But the show feels like a Cliff's Notes version.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:36 pm 

So, good time to binge, or wait another year? I stopped at season 2, because it was turning into a soap opera.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:38 pm 

We last saw a direwolf when Arya saw hers with a pack on her way to King's Landing. Having never read the books, this season just seemed rushed, even when not a lot was happening.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:21 am 
Black Hole

Shoe wrote:
NO ONE CARES!

Luke cares.

Attachment:
I_Care.jpeg
I_Care.jpeg [ 36.93 KiB | Viewed 6852 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:35 am 
HMFIC

Chris Knight wrote:
So, good time to binge, or wait another year? I stopped at season 2, because it was turning into a soap opera.

If you've been out of it that long, just wait until you can binge and finish. Start now, and if you love it, you've got a long wait until your next fix.

Kimfair wrote:
We last saw a direwolf when Arya saw hers with a pack on her way to King's Landing. Having never read the books, this season just seemed rushed, even when not a lot was happening.

Yeah, but I'm betting that if the books ever make it that far, the wolf goes with her.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:20 am 
Singularity ∞

Chris Knight wrote:

I'm with Eric. Just wait until next year and start to binge at the start of the season. If you like it, you'll catch up by the end and will watch along with everyone else. If you falter, then no harm done.

At this point, this season put the chess pieces in fairly expected places for the final push to the end. It's not a place you want to leave off as a new viewer.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:59 am 
Pollution Baby

It seemed a bit to neat for Westeros.

At first I enjoyed the many pay off scenes, but then as the political posturing sunk in, it felt to clean and even. One of the great things about GOT/ASOIAF is that there was never any 100% good vs. evil, it was always mixed, much closer to real life than classic fantasy. It was gritty and ugly and I loved it for it, but this season has a much more defined good guys vs bad guys set up and it just doesn't sit right with the story.

If the next season does right this self perceived wrong, we will see Jon and/or Denearys betray each other, maybe at the manipulation of Cersei, and things work out for the bad guys. Which I think is somewhat setup already by Cersei manipulating Tyrion with the belly pat and waiting for him to say something then acting surprised. That was her playing him, and we may get more of it. Of course, there may be a situation where he realizes she played him and that will be a huge blow to his ego and confidence.

Having said that...

I LOVED the Stark sisters conflict and ultimate resolution, even if it did make it slide back to pretty, I felt it was much more earned and honest with the characters. They did a great job with the misdirection of Sansa talking up Cersei and what she had learned from her, the moments with Littlefinger, Arya brooding and plotting, I should have seen the twist coming because it was to straight forward a story-line, but the twist surprised me, and I enjoyed it.

But ya.... the timeline and quickly traveling was jarring and completely out of place with the whole series, and felt lazy, very lazy which with most other shows would be inexcusable, but I love my Khaleesi, so . . .

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:28 am 

Binged the entire show over the last two months.

God DAMN, is it good.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:59 am 
Black Hole

Monterey Jack wrote:
Binged the entire show over the last two months.

God DAMN, is it good.

:lol:

Welcome.