It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wentworld
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:03 pm 

Anyone watching this? Thoughts?

I've found my new obsession, and it helps get me through the wait for Game of Thrones.

Post subject: Re: Westworld
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:43 am 

We're watching it, but we're currently behind a few episodes, as we've been catching up on what was on our DVR from when we were on vacation.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:32 pm 

I'll hold until you're caught up.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:00 pm 
Black Hole

I watch.

It is an interesting play on some ideas, but it also has a shit ton of threads that are perpetually left floating out into the abyss where if you follow them you find there about a billion other threads.

It has LOST levels of complexity, ambiguity, and lack of resolution.

But, it is enjoyable, so far.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:40 pm 

Really? A TV version of a cheesy 70's sci-fi movie about robot cowboys has the narrative complexity of Lost? What's with all of these cornball 70's sci-fi shows suddenly being hailed as BRILLIANT!!! when done for cable TV decades later (see also: Battlestar Galactica)? When are we going to get a Shakespeareian adaptation of Star Blazers?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:42 pm 
Black Hole

Nice finale.

I ran a D&D game with a very similar "maze" and it lasted for nearly 10 years of solid gaming fun.

I am glad it didn't go in the whole LOST direction of just adding layers without reason - although, I still really enjoyed LOST during its run and through to its end. I saw them kind of going that direction and just glad it didn't jump down that rabbit hole.

This does bring to mind the whole replicant movie set in our own future.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:41 am 
Black Hole

Forgot to mention, if you're watching the finale, be sure to watch all the way through the credits.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:35 pm 

Wow. Just fucking wow.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:44 am 
Singularity ∞

Wrapped this up last night.

It was pretty good. Solid premise (though the somewhat inconsistent way it seems to work kept yanking me out), some thoughtful ideas, good ending, though there really didn't seem to be a point to that final plan beyond "if I can't have it I'm going to fuck it up for everyone."

The series of reveals in the last stretch of episodes were good, some genuinely surprising. Poor ending to the Ed Harris story, relying more on the surprise reveal than a satisfying resolution for him.

Not really clear where a second season could possibly go!

Overall I liked it, good stuff, but I'm satisfied with just the one season and don't need it to continue.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:33 am 

Shoe - In a short piece after the final episode, the producer said that this season was setting up the chaos that will occur next season, when the hosts have an open season on the guests. Not sure it can continue to keep my interest with that, but all the reveals in the last 2 episodes were fantastic. I did love Ed Harris' look of surprise and happiness when he realized that his wish had come true.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:15 am 
Black Hole

Wondering which "satisfying resolution" for Ed Harris that Shoe was hoping for.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:52 pm 
Singularity ∞

Something good.

I wasn't hoping for anything in particular, just something that wasn't anticlimatic and that had a little substance. The William reveal was interesting, but ultimately didn't say much about the character beyond he's desperate and jaded," which we had already gleaned.

The reveal retroactively made William's story better, but not the Man in Black's.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:53 pm 
Black Hole

Finishing a second viewing of the first season to catch Karen up on things. I am very happy with the Ed Harris story line. I felt the actual heartbreak a lot more keenly this time when William goes back to Sweetwater and finds Delores has been erased by Ford and all the real struggle of awakening Delores to a living, sentient being, was "a lie".

It really wasn't.

Almost to the end of the first season finale, but Karen needed to walk away because a lot of mind fucking happening.

She likes it a lot, but it is nearly non-stop for the last 3 episodes. We should finish season 1 tomorrow night.

Post subject: Re: Wentworld
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:59 am 
Singularity ∞

Has season 2 started yet? What do people think?

I enjoyed the first okay, but felt like it never fully explored the concepts it introduced. Hoping season 2 does a better job of doing that. I'm in no rush to see it, but if word of mouth is good I'll check it out at some point.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:16 pm 

We're 4 episodes deep into S2 and I'm enjoying it, but this time I'm definitely staying away from fan theories since the fanbase figured out the ENTIRE plot and all the twists of S1 by episode 3.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:32 am 
Singularity ∞

I'm not too much concerned with spoilers or knowing twists as much as I am with wanting to see the show do justice to its concept.

Something like Game of Thrones, the turns and betrayals and deaths are part of the journey. You don't want them spoiled.

Here, I don't think I'm too concerned. Aside from the Man in Black reveal (which I did not predict, in part because I never even gave it any consideration), there wasn't anything in the first season that BLEW MY MIND in that way. Maybe the ending. That surprised me.

But with this show, I really want to see more that explores the idea of consciousness, identity, what it means to be human, what it means to be alive, if these constructs can be considered sentient, and if they are, a debate over what rights to life they deserve, and so on. Plus the ramifications of having theme parks like this, how that plays out in society, and what it means for someone to be able to indulge in such dark fantastic in such a real, tangible way. (If beating down a hooker in GTA V makes me feel guilty, what about doing it in a way that feels 100% real in every way? Can you do something like that under the pretense that it's "fake" and walk away the same person? How does that bleed over into the real world?)

The first season only kind of kissed these ideas, but never embraced them.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:19 am 
Black Hole

Shoe wrote:
The first season only kind of kissed these ideas, but never embraced them.

You must have slept through the first season.

The Maze was the embrace/tool/device of what they had discovered as what's involved in becoming sentient.

They do explore more about how Dolores Abernathy (aka Wyatt) reached the sentient level and her conversations with Arnold as well as glimpses into her life post-William/reset.

I find it interesting that Michael Crichton's biggest public successes are his exploration of theme park disasters (robots running amok and dinosaurs running amok).

I would like to see a crossover with bionic dinosaurs running amok (with freakin' lasers).

:thumbs:

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:31 am 
Singularity ∞

I liked the first season fine as far as entertainment goes, but thought it was a little shallow when it came to actually exploring the ramifications of the themes and ideas it introduced.

There is something strangely hot about the kind of weird looking hooker, though. She always looks strung out on drugs, and for some reason that look is HOT on her.

And she's got amazing breasts:

NSFW
Spoiler: show

So the show is good for that, too.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:43 am 
Black Hole

I am not sure how to "un-shallow" sentience being given to robots that find no alternative but to wage a war against their creators. Or that, after being forced into slavery for decades (via rebooting memory wipes), that they struggle to gain sentience, at all (connecting with their reverie program integrated into their system).

The main protagonist realizes after 35 years that he's actually wrong for holding back his partner's work to bring about a new life and then decides to "set them free" by having them kill their primary chain-holder: himself.

I am not sure how less shallow you can make it since it is literally about life and death.

But, yes, Clementine is extremely hot and she is still in the second season. So there is that.

Thank you for sharing her breasts.