It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Starz: Black Sails
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:17 am 
Black Hole

While the first few episodes are a bit overboard with the emphasis that these people are amoral and pirate-y, once you get past the heavy en medias res start, it actually levels out in the most wonderful way.

From the start my favorite characters are the most annoying or despicable to others I have spoke to about the show (namely, Jack Rackham and Charles Vane [the actor that plays Vane has an extremely close resemblance to Michael Wincott in voice and acting method]).

We just concluded the whole series last night - which was a brief and abrupt 4 seasons.

It is well that the viewer be aware that this is a prequel to Robert Louis Stevenson's book, Treasure Island and although many of the figures are historical, there are very slight to amazingly different outcomes to what you may have been taught: The cool thing is, though, that they even explain how and why this is possible during the narrative itself.

If you dig pirates and you like some wildly awesome pirate performances, well, this shit might just be what you would like.

It definitely is no children's Disney story: In the very first episode, you'll know this when you meet Black Beard ("Whatever you do, show no fear").

Just don't let the kiddies watch it unless you are extremely progressive in the amount of sex and violence you feel is fine for kids.

Far better than Pirates of the Caribbean and not a Depp/Keith Richards in sight.

It is the grit we want and it is the grit that is delivered.

You'll be tasting the crunchy salt air after this, guaranteed.

:hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole:

Post subject: Re: Starz: Black Sails
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:53 pm 
Black Hole

Pirates are awesome.

This show sounds awesome, too.

Does it have a satisfying ending?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:54 am 
Black Hole

Shoe wrote:
Pirates are awesome.

This show sounds awesome, too.

Does it have a satisfying ending?

I would not want to say too much since I feel the ending is extremely important to the overall experience.

I was satisfied with it very much.

Very much - but in a way I had not expected.

It definitely led directly into the novel's theme fairly seamlessly and there is hopes that they will make the book, Treasure Island, into a new offshoot series.

It was extremely artistic in its execution and far better than I expected.

Michael Bay's involvement was likely minimized and that did not hurt the end product.

8-)

PS - Oh yeah, because you're a writer, I am very interested in how you appreciate the storylines from start to end.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:47 am 
Black Hole

Gonna put it on my short list (though I'll be honest when I say I doubt I'll get to it soon). I'd love a good pirate show, and if it has a complete story then I'm in. Short seasons, too, right? I'm guessing Starz has 10-episodes seasons or something like that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:38 am 
Black Hole

Shoe wrote:
Gonna put it on my short list (though I'll be honest when I say I doubt I'll get to it soon). I'd love a good pirate show, and if it has a complete story then I'm in. Short seasons, too, right? I'm guessing Starz has 10-episodes seasons or something like that.

No worries.

Yes, very short seasons. 10 episodes each, with each episode about 47-75 minutes.

Like I said, the first episode is a bit outlandish in the acting, but it smooths out pretty quick and the story is definitely very taught.

I watched the first 3.5 seasons twice, since Karen hadn't seen any of it, and I don't regret it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:41 am 
Black Hole

:thumbs: