It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Preacher
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:25 pm 

Is anyone here watching Preacher? If not, you need to get on that shit. Season one was slow but interesting. Season two is balls to the walls insanity (in the best way). It's become exactly what the comic was and that's all I can ask. The writing is superb and the acting is fantastic.

Spoiler: show
They even managed to make Hitler a sympathetic character.

Post subject: Re: Preacher
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:09 am 

I've never read the comic, but I'm really digging the show. The second season has been better than the first, but I did enjoy the first season very much. Cassidy just slays me!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:58 pm 

Cassidy is fantastic! His character got so much more depth this season, especially in the last two episodes. The Herr Starr character from this season is pretty much written exactly like the comic and he's stealing every scene he's in. I'm loving how that storyline is playing out.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:14 pm 
HMFIC

I might have to catch up on this. Enjoyed the comic, though I read it long enough ago that I only remember the broad strokes, but I've never watched an episode.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:28 am 

Eric wrote:
I might have to catch up on this. Enjoyed the comic, though I read it long enough ago that I only remember the broad strokes, but I've never watched an episode.

The first season has almost nothing to do with the comic. It's almost an extended prequel to the series with one element from the middle of the comic run thrown in. It's a little slow in places but very enjoyable.

Season two (so far) has captured the feel and tone of the very best parts of the comic.

To be honest, Eric, I really think you'd love it especially if you liked the comic at all.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:23 pm 
HMFIC

Is that element a throwback to the Old West?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:36 pm 

caryc wrote:
Cassidy is fantastic! His character got so much more depth this season, especially in the last two episodes. The Herr Starr character from this season is pretty much written exactly like the comic and he's stealing every scene he's in. I'm loving how that storyline is playing out.

Yeah, he is absolutely entrancing and terrifying at the same time.
Spoiler: show
The stuff with Cassidy and his son were absolutely phenomenal. Especially the scene with his son just yelling Bite me! over and over!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:39 am 

Eric wrote:
Is that element a throwback to the Old West?

No. I don't know if you'll remember but there was a stretch in the comic where Jesse is off on his own and has lost track of Cassidy and Tulip (they think he's dead). He ends up as a sheriff in a town run by a man who controls a meat processing plant there. His name is Odin Quincannon. In the first season of the TV show, they basically set Jesse's church in the town that Quincannon runs but they make his character a lot more human than in the comic. He's actually an acquaintance of Jesse's and knew Jesse's father.

The only other piece that's directly from the comic (and pretty much shot EXACTLY like it was told) is the story of the Saint of Killers. He plays a part in season one also.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:45 am 

Kimfair wrote:
Yeah, he is absolutely entrancing and terrifying at the same time.

Agreed. He is consistently my favorite part of the show and the scenes you mention in the spoiler above are so great. Those were never in the comic. That's the one thing I don't think anyone who's read the comic can argue with. They've really taken the source material and improved upon it in a number of places while staying true to the main theme. I reread the entire series in the run up to season one and to be honest, it's pretty dated now. It's still a lot of fun, but just a real reflection of the time it was written. Tulip and Cassidy have both benefited incredibly from tweaks made on the show.

Tulip especially, who was always a strong character in the comic but was sidelined a lot because Jesse was playing the macho man and would do things to leave her behind. In the series, she's every bit his equal and in some cases, even stronger than he is.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:58 pm 
HMFIC

caryc wrote:
The only other piece that's directly from the comic (and pretty much shot EXACTLY like it was told) is the story of the Saint of Killers. He plays a part in season one also.

I remember the stretch with Jesse as a sheriff, but I was thinking about this, actually. Wasn't it like a separate miniseries in the comics?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:25 pm 

It may have been. I never read the series when it was coming out. I caught up later with the collected trade versions after the initial run was complete and chronologically it happened after the showdown with the Grail.