It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Redenbacher
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:25 pm 
Black Hole

I was shocked, well maybe not "shocked", but definitely "taken unawares" by the actual tone of this show.

I expected a show that was a heavily seasoned comedy, but 4 episodes in, I am getting the feeling that this is less of a "ha ha" and more of an "ah ha" type of show.

There are some comedic moments or, as the Wife put it, "they are obviously trying to be funny, but they're just lame". To which, I let her know that she thinks I am fairly lame most of the time, too.

She laughed.

I am not sure that was the best defense of my growing enjoyment of this show.

Still, on one hand you have the crew watching Kramer from Seinfeld dropping a candy into a surgical patient's open incision and then you have a maniacal clueless dick space Trump inciting a mob into beating a protestor to death.

No, really.

They fucking beat this guy to death for opposing their isolationist dogmatic beliefs.

And it wasn't funny at all.

Seth MacFarlane? Yep.

It's him.

This is a galactic jump from the Family Guy's MacFarlane that we're used to seeing.

Later on, the wife confessed that part of her inability to really like Seth MacFarlane is that he reminds her of Bobby from the Brady Bunch. I am not sure how that is a negative, but it made me laugh.

The first episode was rough and I nearly dropped the show based on that, but what show really was that good from the first episode? Few. Plus there was enough there to make me push through a lot of Deus Ex Machina setting of characters.

The second episode was a slow slap to the face that much of the sparse comedy in the pilot was gone and by the third episode, you either were okay with shifting gears or you weren't.

I was, and still am okay with pushing through the rest of the season.

I am glad the second season is coming and I look forward to this.

The show has an extremely heavy reimagining of messages and ideas from Star Trek: ToS, but I'm okay with that.

Some people of note so far, Jon Favreau, Liam Neeson, Norm MacDonald, Brannon Braga*.

*Brannon Braga I literally stopped the show and went on about his contributions to the Star Trek mythos until I realized no one in my house gave a shit (about 3.5 minutes of me droning on and on).

Full review to happen once I complete the season.

:thumbs:

Post subject: Re: The Orville
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:20 pm 

Seth McFarlane is also responsible for Neil DeGrasse Tyson's Cosmos series on Fox (which is coming back next year). The dude can be serious once in a while.

I love The Orville, because it's just TNG with more realistic behaviour. People never used a bathroom in Star Trek, but you can easily imagine an episode of The Orville devoted to someone clogging a space toilet. And it would be riveting.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:48 pm 
Black Hole

Chris Knight wrote:
Seth McFarlane is also responsible for Neil DeGrasse Tyson's Cosmos series on Fox (which is coming back next year). The dude can be serious once in a while.

I love The Orville, because it's just TNG with more realistic behaviour. People never used a bathroom in Star Trek, but you can easily imagine an episode of The Orville devoted to someone clogging a space toilet. And it would be riveting.

I know he can be serious with things like the new Cosmos, but everyone touted this as a comedy.

It had all the vibes and earmarks of a TV show paying homage to Star Trek in the same way as Galaxy Quest, even when I brought it up on Hulu, they fucking touted it as comedy (not that they know their hole from a shit in their face, they also claimed Shut Eye to be a comedy - very wrong).

I had not really heard shit about it until you recommended it and so I went to see if it had hit a streaming service that I have.

Considering all the reviews I have been reading, a lot of people out there still think this is a comedy. A bad comedy. It really isn't a comedy in my mind.

What comedy plunges directly into social commentary about gender, has people murdered by mindless mobs, and so on?

I agree, this is like Star Trek without all the sticks up the asses.

And that is okay.

I really love that Brannon Braga is helping on it, as well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:38 am 
Black Hole

UPDATE:

We just finished Episode 9, Cupid's Dagger, and it was likely the most comedic episode of the lot, so far (it also had an awesome guest star that really removed a lot of the awkwardness from the first episode).

It's been a slow haul since Karen really was not liking a lot of the show's premise and execution.

But, during Into The Fold (Episode 8), she turned to me towards the end and said, "I can't believe I am actually starting to like this show."

:lol:

It's grown on her and I am glad.

8-)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:30 pm 
Pollution Baby

Finished the first season and love it. The heavy leaning on sci-fi what if scenerios is welcome. It has the same feel towards science that the early series did, as in a layperson understanding taken completely seriously and run with, and it is fun as hell.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988