It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Top Gear
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:49 am 

“There is a self-propelled gun/armoured vehicle being driven through the streets of Central London this morning making its way to the Broadcasting House in Portland Place,”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/peopl ... 22539.html

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:49 am 

"Jeremy Clarkson dropped from Top Gear, BBC confirms"

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-32052736

Well so much for that show.

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:55 am 
Pollution Baby

What are the current odds on him starting a new show on a competing network? He's only 54, looks 64, but is 54, and has bazillions of fans, including his co-workers.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:14 am 

With the contract for all 3 being up and James May saying "as far as he was concerned they are a package" I'd love to see it. Maybe someone like Rupert Murdoch and Fox giving them a blank check to do what they want.

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:16 am 

I'm sure he's been offered about a million career opportunities over the last week. Would love to see what the production crew goes on to do, since they've been consistently shooting the best looking footage - of any TV show - for over a decade.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:09 am 
Black Hole

I wouldn't STEAK a lot in Top Gear now!

Trouble in the BBC seems rare to medium rare!

This will be a blow to the ribs for motorist enthusiasts everywhere!

People still mooing over this one!

Clarkson may get a job with a New York Strip club!

Top Gear all Top Sirloin now Ground Chuck!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:57 pm 

Some commenter...

"Now, BBC is going to have to fire 2,000 employees because of the $200 million in lost profits the show generated. (there are various estimates, but the higher figure includes international profits. BBC of course uses the lowest one to try and minimize their impact)

Just like when CBC lost Hockey. CBC fired 1,000 people last year and another 500-1000 are already slated for termination the next few years.

Yep, JC is an a s s, but it's the 2,000 innocent employees that are going to pay, becasue despite what he did, he still kept those people employed."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:22 am 
Black Hole

Riedenschneider wrote:
"Now, BBC is going to have to fire 2,000 employees..."

Fired for not Firing the Meat!

BBC is no BBQ

Producer Tenderized and Public Served Cold

Uncooked Cow Unreachable For Comment

BBC dude serves no Meating and takes a Beating

Out of the Frying Pan and into No Fire

BBC Marinates Host with show at Steak

Where was BBC Golden Boy Chef Ramsay? IT'S RAAAWWW!!!

BBC Host Skirts Steak Issue

Thousands of BBC Careers T-boned and Flat Ironed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:26 am 

I laughed...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:36 am 
Black Hole

Ha!

Right next to that uncooked cow. Well, next to the pasture of uncooked cow.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:46 am 
Black Hole

Is Oisin Tymon a vegan?

Why was there no steak?

Why?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:22 pm 
Pollution Baby

Top Gear's Head Producer Says Farewell To BBC In Leaked Email
Quote:
Well, at least we left ‘em wanting more. And that alone, when you think about it, is quite an achievement for a show that started 13 years ago. I know none of us wanted it to end this way, but for a moment I’d like us to look back and think about just what an incredible thing you all had a hand in creating. When Jane Root gave us the green light in 2002, the brief was to reinvigorate a car show and get an audience of three million. What you all ended up making was one of the most iconic programmes in TV history, a show about cars that went global, won countless awards, was devoured by non car fans and ended up in the Guinness Book of Records.

We had a lot of laughs, we had a lot of tiffs. We went to amazing places and we went to some shitholes. We nearly killed a presenter, we had to run for the border. We started off with whoever we could get in the Reasonably Priced Car, and ended up with Tom Cruise. Throughout all this we made television that was beautiful to look at and beautiful to listen to. The work ethic never slipped, the desire for everyone in this dysfunctional family to do right by the show never faltered. Jeremy, Richard and James, as the visible tip of the iceberg, got most of the attention and praise, but you all in your own fields had such an immense hand in weaving this unforgettable tapestry. I would love to single out everybody by name to thank them for what they did, but it’s impossible and I’d forget someone I shouldn’t have and that would be crap, so I’ll just say Jim, I’m sorry we never got a bear to drive an automatic.

For those of you who still rely on it for work, don’t worry, because the BBC will make sure the show continues. Our stint as guardians of Top Gear was a good one, but we were only part of the show’s history, not the whole of it. Those two words are bigger than us.

Anyway, when you’re feeling low in your working day at any point, look around at some of the crap on TV, then have a think about Top Gear, 2002- 2015, and say to yourself: “I made that.”

A big, big, big thank you, which will never be enough.

Andy.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:15 pm 

May has always been the best dude on Top Gear, and now he's the best dude off Top Gear:

http://www.classicfm.com/discover/music ... der-video/

Also, he's cooking a Shepherd's Pie very soon...May's YouTube channel is brimming with excitement.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:32 pm 
Black Hole

Ladies and gentlemen, I present...

Chris Evans

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:05 pm 

Following the last remaining episode of (the real) Top Gear this Sunday night on BBC 2 (hosted by May and Hammond), Netflix will make an official announcement about a new car show, starring Clarkson, Hammond and May.

Giddy.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:10 pm 
Pollution Baby

Chris Knight wrote:
...Netflix will make an official announcement about a new car show, starring Clarkson, Hammond and May.

Giddy.
Clarkson unleashed and uncensored will be interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:19 pm 

fyi, the announcement isn't going to be immediately following the episode (which ends at 4:15PM EST), and could be several weeks away (lawyers, etc.). Clarkson definitely confirmed it's happening, so this isn't just wishful thinking.

Also, James May is doing a 2 episode special (presumably on BBC) on "motoring", which should be fun. Although probably not as fun as his goofy YouTube cooking videos.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:27 pm 

Chris Knight wrote:
fyi, the announcement isn't going to be immediately following the episode (which ends at 4:15PM EST), and could be several weeks away (lawyers, etc.). Clarkson definitely confirmed it's happening, so this isn't just wishful thinking.

Also, James May is doing a 2 episode special (presumably on BBC) on "motoring", which should be fun. Although probably not as fun as his goofy YouTube cooking videos.

I've never watched this show but I don't understand him getting fired. So because he made a big deal out of a dinner he gets fired (after 30 years of work with them) and now will make Netflix and himself a shit ton of money...Am I missing something here or is BBC really fucking stupid?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:59 pm 

Al Pacino wrote:
I've never watched this show but I don't understand him getting fired. So because he made a big deal out of a dinner he gets fired (after 30 years of work with them) and now will make Netflix and himself a shit ton of money...Am I missing something here or is BBC really fucking stupid?

First, you should watch the show. Start with the first US special (Florida to New Orleans trip). Torrent the original UK show - don't watch the Netflix/BBC America re-edits, which are TERRIBLE.

Second, The BBC had no choice. Prior to this "fracas", the company was caught covering up a decades-long child molestation incident, in which a very popular TV/radio show host was boinking kids in his dressing room. The people in charge knew about it, and did nothing. After this host died, it all came out, and heads rolled - with the promise that celebrities would no longer be afforded such protection. And then Jeremy punched a producer in the mouth.

Also, the BBC isn't stupid - they've produced some of the finest television programming in the world (like, er, Top Gear). They also answer to the public, since it is the tax payers that front the bills for most of the programming (it costs about $12/month/household to legally watch television in England). If it were a private company, like Netflix, this would have been a non-issue.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:53 pm 

Chris Knight wrote:
Al Pacino wrote:

First, you should watch the show. Start with the first US special (Florida to New Orleans trip). Torrent the original UK show - don't watch the Netflix/BBC America re-edits, which are TERRIBLE.

Second, The BBC had no choice. Prior to this "fracas", the company was caught covering up a decades-long child molestation incident, in which a very popular TV/radio show host was boinking kids in his dressing room. The people in charge knew about it, and did nothing. After this host died, it all came out, and heads rolled - with the promise that celebrities would no longer be afforded such protection. And then Jeremy punched a producer in the mouth.

Also, the BBC isn't stupid - they've produced some of the finest television programming in the world (like, er, Top Gear). They also answer to the public, since it is the tax payers that front the bills for most of the programming (it costs about $12/month/household to legally watch television in England). If it were a private company, like Netflix, this would have been a non-issue.

I thought the public wanted him to stay on. The show is an insane money maker and without him there's gotta be a lot of uncertainty. This reminds me of a football coach/player getting arrested and fired and then 2 months later joining another team where he's loved by all and nobody gives a shit about what he did earlier. It just doesn't make much sense, ride out the few weeks of negativity and it would go away. But you obviously know more about this than I do, it just seemed like a stupid thing to do in firing him. I will give it a watch though. :thumbs:

I've heard of that child molester before but didn't know he was affiliated with BBC so I guess that changes a lot.

I also didn't realize how many BBC shows I watch...

Battlestar Galactica, Being Human, Broadchurch, Copper, Luther, Planet Earth, Kitchen Nightmares, Sherlock, The Inbetweeners, The Tudors... I'll even sometimes watch The Graham Norton Show. I take back my bad words about BBC America.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:26 am 

Al Pacino wrote:
I take back my bad words about BBC America.

BBC America is owned by Discovery Channel and just buys programming from BBC (in addition to many other places - Galactica is a Fox/Universal property). This is why I don't recommend watching Top Gear on BBC America - in addition to cutting out 10 minutes of each episode, they replace all the copyrighted music with cheese. That sounds whiney, but when you see how well the show is edited, and how important the music is a part of the show, it's just wrong to watch it any other way.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:21 pm 
Black Hole

I watched BBC America when they were called PBS.

Was great. They showed everything from Monty Python to Benny Hill to Doctor Who. All without commercials.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:02 pm 

Pender wrote:
I watched BBC America when they were called PBS.

Was great. They showed everything from Monty Python to Benny Hill to Doctor Who. All without commercials.

I remember those days.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:38 pm 

That sign-off... :cry:

Great read about tonight's show (and TG in general), written by Andy Wilman:

http://imgur.com/a/TmEmY

I hope these ambitious-but-rubbish bastards get a new show off the ground soon... :loser:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:43 am 

Uh, that was probably the weakest episode ever.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:53 am 

Riedenschneider wrote:
Uh, that was probably the weakest episode ever.

Well, I wouldn't call it an episode - this was just two films they salvaged from the last 3 remaining episodes that never aired in March.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:58 am 

My Amazon Prime membership gets better and better every year...

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/celebrit ... 26102.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:07 am 

So any thoughts on the "New Top Gear" other than it's horrible.

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:56 pm 

John Carter wrote:

Aside from any film or studio bit featuring Chris Evans, it's not terrible - certainly on par with the US show (which grew on me after a couple of seasons). The BBC fails to understand that Clarkson's version of the show wasn't a car show, but a show about 3 buffoons that happened to enjoy cars. There's no chemistry right now, and none of the hosts are comfortable enough to fuck with each other's ego. If that doesn't improve in the next season, this show is doomed.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:44 pm 

Chris Knight wrote:
John Carter wrote:

Aside from any film or studio bit featuring Chris Evans, it's not terrible - certainly on par with the US show (which grew on me after a couple of seasons). The BBC fails to understand that Clarkson's version of the show wasn't a car show, but a show about 3 buffoons that happened to enjoy cars. There's no chemistry right now, and none of the hosts are comfortable enough to fuck with each other's ego. If that doesn't improve in the next season, this show is doomed.

Yeah the show was all about those three guys, even the Ground Force thing they did for charity was great and it had nothing to do with cars.

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:01 pm 

The utterly stupid DHL box challenge videos the threesome made a few weeks ago are hilarious. I could watch those three read a phone book and be entertained.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:41 am 
Black Hole

So, if you have a FB account, you can see this weird thing.

It's like The Gods Must Be Crazy meets Top Gear.

HERE

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:36 pm 

8 more days...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:39 am 

I just finished watching the first episode of The Grand Tour and it was as good as any average episode of Top Gear and miles better than any episode of the New Top Gear.

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:09 pm 

Great start to a new series.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next