It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 454 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:20 pm 

Spoilers. No spoiler tags. I don't know why you'd read this if you haven't watched anyways.

Frustrated because we've already seen the group get split up back when they were on the farm and had a nice chunk of last season to see them do their thing separately.

Also the role of "Wise old man" is once again killed. Wise old men aren't meant to last in The Walking Dead.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:42 am 
Pollution Baby

Kimfair wrote:
Awesome episode.

Spoiler: show
I loved when you thought the Governor was about to get the best of Rick, just before Michonne's blade came through his chest. I also loved how she left him there to die and turn, or be eaten by walkers.

To frustrate brian...
When they did that, I honestly thought they would try to have him end up living, like the blade missed his heart or something, and his new love was a nurse, I think, or caregiver of some kind. Glad he's dead, but that leaves an opening in the thinking human antagonists slot, along with the wise old sage.

Also, yet another reason to love Daryl. He shot that asshole in the chest, let him die slowly and be eaten live. Well done, Daryl. If that were real, it was a dumb move, chances were pretty good that he had a sidearm.

Also also, how were the walkers coming in behind Daryl? Wasn't the only opening in the fence where the tank came in? Or was there another open fence in the back for the bus to go through?

Baby steps to February . . .

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:39 am 

We presume the noise brought more walkers and overwhelmed the fence.

What's the deal with the taxidermy in the basement?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:32 am 

brian wrote:
What's the deal with the taxidermy in the basement?

Presumably the same person who was feeding rats to the Walkers?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:35 am 
Pollution Baby

I still assume it's the little fucked up girl feeding the walkers and fucking with rats, that bitch be crazy.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:24 am 
Pollution Baby

Ericubus wrote:
I still assume it's the little fucked up girl feeding the walkers and fucking with rats, that bitch be crazy.

Word

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:45 am 
Pollution Baby

Great catches here, if you haven't watched S04E14 "The Grove" yet, don't look inside...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:23 pm 

Holy fucking shit! Since I've never read the comics, I really did NOT see that coming! Incredibly emotional episode.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:45 pm 

I have read the comics, so I sort of saw it coming (although stuff that appears in the comics often appears in the show in extremely altered ways, sometimes even with different characters), although I was kind of stunned they went with it on basic cable television. Anyways, superb episode...the show is really humming along nicely this half-season.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:30 pm 

This season has been good television.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:11 pm 

Ha, Bub cameo in last Sunday's episode. :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:14 pm 

That was an awesome cameo.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:33 pm 

Right up there with the Shaun cameo in Go Goa Gone.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:37 am 

Great season premiere.

Wow...legitimately surprised that they didn't spend half-a-season in Terminus before the "surprise" reveal that they were all cannibals. The writers must be listening to fan complaints.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:46 pm 
HMFIC

Yeah, that moved. Though I kind of figured they'd take a few episodes to get through all that. Hope they've got more good shit lined up.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:06 am 
Singularity ∞

Just got caught up.

Wow. Season 5 opened with two stunning episodes, then ground to an immediate halt. I'm glad I binge watch, because I imagine this was kind of boring for week-to-weekers.

The show has been uneven from the start and never stopped being uneven, so I'm not surprised opinions vary so wildly and always have.

A lot of people consider season 1 the peak, for example, and I disagree strongly. The pilot episode was AMAZING -- the best of the series -- but the rest was meandering and unfocused, with really shitty side stories. Other people think it was great.

I think agreement is universal that the first half of season 2 was slow moving garbage. It bordered on awful, to be honest. Since then it's been very up and down, but has remained just good enough to keep me watching in binges. Almost bailed during season 2, but have been on board since.

Binge watching seems to be the way to go with this show. They split every single season into two chunks now, and they always open and close big. When you do it that way, in 8-episode chunks, if the start and finish are great you just need to keep people involved for 6 episodes until you grab them with the next big moment. Makes it very easy to blow through a half season and stay engaged, since the dull episodes go by fast.

This half season, though ...

It looked like this half-season was going to be a tense cat and mouse game between the group and the cannibals, but nope. They yanked the rug out from that right away and then turned to some meandering side stories.

They were solid enough when binge watched, but I bet week-to-week was boring.

Hell, I think Carol is the most fascinating character on the show, has been for a couple of seasons, and her episode with Daryl in Atlanta bored me to tears.

None of this was BAD, mind you. Solid stuff all around. It was just a big let down from the explosive way the season opened up.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:04 pm 
Singularity ∞

Wow!

I don't think I've ever been as shocked and moved by a death on this show as that one. Stunning stuff that really redeemed a pretty poor storyline.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:39 pm 
HMFIC

Watching now. Rick's a trifle casual about blowing someone's head off in the first scene.

EDIT: Priest-guy from The Wire is an asshole.

EDIT AGAIN: Yeah, well, that wasn't a particularly well-kept secret, and I'm torn between wanting it to have more significance and admiring the way art imitates life, in that people do things that don't seem to make any sense, and sometimes that swerves out of control and leaves them unable to explain what the fuck they were thinking. Kept me watching, anyway. Hoping to see some interesting stuff from Morgan's return once the series starts back up next year.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:06 am 

Shoe wrote:
Wow!

I don't think I've ever been as shocked and moved by a death on this show as that one. Stunning stuff that really redeemed a pretty poor storyline.

Too bad I had said death spoiled for me by some asshole on Facebook who put up a giant "R.I.P. [character]" image. :flip:

Still a great episode, though. Loved the De Palma Dutching in the hallway exchange scene.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:22 am 
Singularity ∞

Monterey Jack wrote:
Too bad I had said death spoiled for me by some asshole on Facebook who put up a giant "R.I.P. [character]" image. :flip:

That asshole was the official Walking Dead page. They spoiled it before it had aired everywhere! WTF?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:38 am 

Shoe wrote:
That asshole was the official Walking Dead page. They spoiled it before it had aired everywhere! WTF?

WHAT?! :shock: What bullshit! In the DVR era, one should tapdance around major spoilers like that for at least a few days until after an episode airs. Pisses me off...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:56 am 

Zombie falling face first into machete is the best zombie death, ever on this show.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:03 am 
Pollution Baby

Kimfair wrote:
Zombie falling face first into machete is the best zombie death, ever on this show.

That was almost as brutal as your avatar.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:04 am 

Ericubus wrote:
Kimfair wrote:

That was almost as brutal as your avatar.

:lol: :lol: :thumbs: :thumbs: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:13 am 
Black Hole

Monterey Jack wrote:
Shoe wrote:

WHAT?! :shock: What bullshit! In the DVR era, one should tapdance around major spoilers like that for at least a few days until after an episode airs. Pisses me off...

:lol:

I saw that and I don't even watch this shit.

But, I wondered why they would spoil it.

Now I know.

They're assholes.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:58 pm 
Singularity ∞

It's back already. Feels like it just left.

I initially hated this split season shit, but Walking Dead has made me change my mind. Spurt of episodes, then a relatively short break, then another short batch of eps, then another fairly short break. I like that.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:22 pm 

Great episode tonight. I really lked how
they made you think they were showing you Beth's funeral, when it was really Tyrese's

Also in Noah's brother's room, he had an Aurora Forgotten Prisoner of Castlemare model, like the one I had growing up, and have today (the re-issue). It looks like this up close.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:38 pm 
HMFIC

Haven't read the comics. Putting this in spoilers, because while it may just be a random creepy detail, it may also be leading up to something, and someone who's read the comics might have some idea what.

Is there anything in particular up with the pickup full of still-undead heads and torsos? Seemed that somebody cut them up just outside Noah's gated community, leaving the heap of body parts, then drove away with them in the truck. Is there more to that I'm supposed to get, or that will be explained later?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:05 pm 
Singularity ∞

Seems to be just a random creepy detail. I've read them to current and that doesn't ring any bells.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:32 pm 
Pollution Baby

Eric wrote:
Haven't read the comics. Putting this in spoilers, because while it may just be a random creepy detail, it may also be leading up to something, and someone who's read the comics might have some idea what.

Is there anything in particular up with the pickup full of still-undead heads and torsos? Seemed that somebody cut them up just outside Noah's gated community, leaving the heap of body parts, then drove away with them in the truck. Is there more to that I'm supposed to get, or that will be explained later?

It could be something new. It was odd that no one in the episode spoke about how weird that was. Of course, any conversation at that moment would have detracted from the overall story and feel of the episode, but it seems more like things to come. Along with the imagined radio show about roaming packs of killers.

The Wolves are Coming

But, my real guess is that they were just putting together an awesome foosball set when someone spoiled the plans.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:32 pm 
HMFIC

I like it as a creepy detail. Can't see, really, what that could logically build to, but I like that they put it in there, suggesting that somebody did this sort of inexplicable thing on purpose.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:52 pm 
Singularity ∞

Agreed. It stood out to me, too. I found it kind of unsettling, which is something this show rarely accomplishes despite being a zombie show.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:15 pm 
HMFIC

Really? I find pretty much every episode unsettling. Thinking about rattling around in the post-apocalyptic South with two kids? Thinking about what sort of life they'll have? I keep putting myself in Rick Grimes's place, and that unsettles me. Puts me in mind of the father in The Road, who (if memory serves) thinks a few times that it might be a kindness to bash his son's skull in and then put a bullet in his own head.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:22 pm 
Singularity ∞

Yeah, the show rarely gets to me in that way. It has its moments in that regard -- the episode with Carol and the kids, for instance -- but for me the presentation doesn't conjure up those feelings.

I kind of wish it did, to be honest. I want to be unsettled by this. I want that feeling that The Road gave you, where you feel kind of unclean and disturbed by the entire scenario.

The Walking Dead is a little too "adventure story" for that, though. At least, it is for me. YMM(and clearly does )V.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:36 pm 

Shoe wrote:
Yeah, the show rarely gets to me in that way. It has its moments in that regard -- the episode with Carol and the kids, for instance -- but for me the presentation doesn't conjure up those feelings.

I kind of wish it did, to be honest. I want to be unsettled by this. I want that feeling that The Road gave you, where you feel kind of unclean and disturbed by the entire scenario.

The Walking Dead is a little too "adventure story" for that, though. At least, it is for me. YMM(and clearly does )V.

Yes.

The "kids" story was a legit good episode with emotional impact. Most of it feels kind of trashy with little impact and full of goofy TV tropes. And I still watch it. And even enjoy it time to time. The last season or two has been interesting at least.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 454 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next