It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 454 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:05 am 
Black Hole

Doggy style helped the 2nd episode.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:44 am 

Someone's been listening to the 28 Days/Weeks Later soundtrack...

I also recognize the woman with the short, grey hair as the woman who had that great scene in The Mist where she asks if anyone in the supermarket will see her home. "I hope you all rot in hell..."

And (SPOILER)...

Spoiler: show
...why on earth did Merle hack his own hand off if the door hadn't even been forced? Try using the hacksaw on the handcuff chain first, ya idjit!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:25 am 
Site Admin

In regard to your spoiler comment, I assume you're familiar with the concept of dramatic license?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:13 pm 
Minor Depression

To the spoiler: I know its not in the comic, but its in the spirit of the comic. Crazy stupid shit people will do from the stress of coping with zombies. The comic has that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:54 pm 
Black Hole

I am not going to spoiler this since most everyone should have seen this episode already and if you have not and you are reading this..... well, you deserve having your spoils spoiled.

Since he had no idea whether the door would hold, he would likely cut the fastest way possible.

Especially since he is dumb, freaked out and crying to himself, insane and dumb. Also he is dumb.

Also, you are dumb for suggesting hacking through a handcuff link when he could have cut through that rusty metal pipe far easier than either his hand or handcuff.

Only I would have survived that situation properly.

The rest of you guys are dummies.

No doggie style meant lower rating overall.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:53 pm 
Site Admin

Again, artistic license. Sure, it would have been more logical to cut through the rusty pipe, and it's a failure of the production designers to have him chained to something that would be easily hacked through. But the point of the set piece wasn't to show that he had no choice but to cut off his hand. The point was the simple shock value of the hand cutting itself. Yes, it was based on flimsy reasoning, but the payoff of finding only his hand made it worth it. Besides, as was mentioned above, a big part of the comic is the exploration of the completely irrational things that people do when faced with a reality they're ill equipped to deal with and within that context the hand cutting was appropriate.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:58 am 

"Now I remember why I dug those holes."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:26 am 
Site Admin

This show needs more action and less love triangle.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:40 pm 

I think this episode had more action than any so far. It also was a huge improvement over the second episode.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:46 am 
Site Admin

I agree with that. Episode two was a lull in the series so far.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:53 pm 
Black Hole

They need to start thinking about wiping out large numbers in single shots.

Especially the urban survivors.

Why not lure a shitload of them into one place - a "lake" filled with gasoline and oil - then burn them a few hundred at a time?

Seriously, I cannot see modern humanity being wiped out by unthinking zombie hordes. Granted, we may lose some larger portions of the population to them just being morons vs the mindless undead - but losing 99.9% of everyone?

Doubtful.

Only if they were the fast-moving, ultra-infectious zombies from 28 Days Later.

The slow-moving zombies would never really stand a chance once people started organizing and taking out large numbers of the bastards.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:05 pm 
Black Hole

Welcome Noah Emmerich.

Although there were definite holes in the continuity of the story, the overall move of the location was a welcome change.

Unfortunately the episode ended before it was able to take off.

If that chick had really cared about her sister, she would have shot her in the head before she turned into a fucking zombie.

If these people had any compassion whatsoever, they would have shot that dude in the head instead of leaving him to suffer what was obviously going to be a torturous, slow, painful death.

Why burn the dead? Once you brain them, don't they stay down? Why the funeral pyre?

Only one episode left, when did seasons become 6 episodes?

I think I heard Noah call this incident the T-19 virus?

Wasn't the virus in Resident Evil also the T virus?

Did we run out of letters? Maybe all viral zombie bugs are T virus variants?

Overall, even though the episode focuses in on some real shitty minor story lines instead of following more important action, it was still a strong episode and I will still say this is a good show. Way better than I figured it would be.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:42 pm 
Site Admin

FAR too many boring character development scenes. I can't believe we've had to wait until the last show of the short first season to get an explanation of what happened to bring the world to this point. That should have been a top priority for the first three episodes.

That goes back to my original criticism of the show. Many things that work well in comics simply don't translate to the TV story telling medium.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:36 pm 

Surf Monkey wrote:
FAR too many boring character development scenes. I can't believe we've had to wait until the last show of the short first season to get an explanation of what happened to bring the world to this point. That should have been a top priority for the first three episodes.

They never really explained what caused the zombie apocalypse in any of George Romero's Dead films. They never really explained how/why the world ended in the Mad Max trilogy (aside from vague generalities). Sometimes it's better to leave that stuff to the audience's imagination and just have the characters get on with it instead of having them spending an endless amount of time theorizing on something they can never have a satisfactory answer to.

Anyways, I'm assuming the end of the last episode was a deliberate tip of the hat to Lost and Desmond in the hatch.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:47 pm 

Pender wrote:
If that chick had really cared about her sister, she would have shot her in the head before she turned into a fucking zombie.

If it were your sister/brother/wife/kid/best friend, you might think differently. I think they gave Holden's character enough of a motivation to want one last moment with her sister (even if she was coming back as a mindless eating machine) to apologize and make sure she was "put down" by someone who cared for her in life. It's different from the books (where she does shoot her sister in the head almost immediately), but I found it to be a well-reasoned and ultimately moving change. What about when Rick went back to the park in order to find that legless zombie? Totally pointless and putting himself at unneccesary risk, but it was something Rick had to do more for his own peace of mind than anything else ("I'm sorry this had to happen to you").

Quote:
If these people had any compassion whatsoever, they would have shot that dude in the head instead of leaving him to suffer what was obviously going to be a torturous, slow, painful death.

He specifically requested to be left behind. Rick even offered him a gun to do away with himself quicker, but he refused, knowing that Rick and the group could use it more. Taken directly from the book. It's not like it was an easy decision for anyone involved.

Quote:
Why burn the dead? Once you brain them, don't they stay down? Why the funeral pyre?

Why burn leaves on your lawn? Why not just let them pile up? Why not just leave food in your sink? Burning the corpses was less work than having to bury each and every one (a task they only took upon themselves for the memebers of the group who were killed). Would you just leave a pile of stinky, decaying corpses right next to the place you were staying?

Quote:
Only one episode left, when did seasons become 6 episodes?

Agreed. Damn stupid cable "seasons"... :mad: It pisses me off more to learn we won't see season two until next frigging OCTOBER.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:08 pm 
Site Admin

Monterey Jack wrote:
They never really explained what caused the zombie apocalypse in any of George Romero's Dead films. They never really explained how/why the world ended in the Mad Max trilogy (aside from vague generalities). Sometimes it's better to leave that stuff to the audience's imagination and just have the characters get on with it instead of having them spending an endless amount of time theorizing on something they can never have a satisfactory answer to.

Anyways, I'm assuming the end of the last episode was a deliberate tip of the hat to Lost and Desmond in the hatch.

But Monty, there's a big difference between a two hour movie and a TV series that runs dozens if not hundreds of hours in total. They don't need to explain what caused the zombies, but they should explain what people observed happening as the event unfolded. Night of the Living Dead showed exactly what happened without going into the details of why. So did Mad Max.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:11 pm 
Site Admin

The reason this only ran six episodes is that it's a very expensive show to produce and AMC didn't want to commit to more than a few episodes until they knew it was going to be a hit. Next season will be at least twice as long.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:53 pm 
Black Hole

Monterey Jack wrote:
Pender wrote:

If it were your sister/brother/wife/kid/best friend, you might think differently.

Hello? I am Pender.

I would rather shoot my wife or mother than witness them come back as a zombie.

Monterey Jack wrote:
What about when Rick went back to the park in order to find that legless zombie?

That made far more sense than letting a loved one become a mindless drooling zombie.

Monterey Jack wrote:
Quote:

He specifically requested to be left behind. Rick even offered him a gun to do away with himself quicker, but he refused, knowing that Rick and the group could use it more. Taken directly from the book. It's not like it was an easy decision for anyone involved.

I am not saying to leave a gun behind with him. I am saying put him down.

Again, hello? I am Pender.
Monterey Jack wrote:
Quote:
Would you just leave a pile of stinky, decaying corpses right next to the place you were staying?

Hell no.

Pile them in the pickup. Drive backwards real fast. Slam on the brakes. Let them fly out over the cliff.

Load them in a trebuchet.

Burning them is likely to take whatever disease they have and make it airborne. Or worse, burning them right next to your camp is gonna cause a disgusting smell anyway. Ever smell burning flesh?

Not a good alternative.

Plus a waste of air time when they could have been showing more cool CDC stuff.

Additionally, they were planning on leaving in a few hours. Getting enough heat to properly burn a corpse means a shitload of wood.

Again and finally, Hello? I am Pender.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:23 pm 
Sinkhole

Best show on Television at this time.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:59 pm 
Site Admin

crikey wrote:
Best show on Television at this time.

Boardwalk Empire is better. So far Walking Dead is too berift of action to be the best show.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:25 pm 
Sinkhole

Hahaha. You're so funny!

Exclude about 6 episodes of Boardwalk Empire and it's great. Only the last 2 have made me say, "Oh my fucking God". This is the same response I have to Season 3 of True Blood. Only the last few episodes of both have met the calibre of the first few episodes of the same season. The middle of each program, this season, has been filler.

The Walking Dead, episodes 1 through 5, is superior. Add in Noah Emmerich and it is enthralling.

///

Episode 2 sex scene did turn me on. The huz was pleased.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:30 pm 
Site Admin

60% of Walking Dead so far is a total yawn fest.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:55 pm 

So what do you think Doc Emmerich whispered in Rick's ear?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:36 pm 
Site Admin

Monterey Jack wrote:

I have a hard time working up enough interest to care, which is sad given how excited I was about this show before it came on. The final episode was a total yawner.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:55 pm 

I liked the final episode more than Surf, but I have to agree with him about caring. There is not any indication that Doc has/had any information that could have been useful for Rick, or else he would have revealed it to the group. This is a badly written show based off a well written comic.

:hole1: :hole1: :half: :nohole: :nohole:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:59 am 

I read an interview with darabont that said he didn't want to end te 6 shows on a cliffhanger in case they didn't get picked up for a second season. I think he may have told Rick where they can go to find shelter. I've enjoyed the show very much so far, and while there have been some writing issues (if I were Rick, I would have asked someone why this was all happening, even if they couldn't provide an answer), overall I've been pleased and am looking forward to seeing where the seconnd season takes us. Full disclosure, I have not read the comic.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:24 am 

Now that I think about it (and considering the comic's plotline), I think that the doc told Rick...

Spoiler: show
...that his wife is pregnant. Blood test and all.

I dunno if they'll go that way (the show has already veered away considerably from the plotlines of the comics), but it seems like a logical choice.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:49 am 
Site Admin

Noto wrote:
This is a badly written show based off a well written comic.

That aligns exactly with my perception of it as well. The comic was gripping and thought provoking. The show so far has been monotone and boring. It's not just the writing, it's also the acting, which is generally low grade at best IMO.

And yes, Monty, I think your spoiler is right.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:01 pm 
Black Hole

Monterey Jack wrote:

I hope he was telling him which people are infected and fucked.

But yeah, a pregnancy is likely what it was.

Personally, I would have liked it if the show had ended with all of them dying and then a promise of a new group for next season. Ending each season with the death of each group, maybe some seasons having one after another dying until it wraps with the final death of the person in that final group.

That would have been cool.

But, overall, this was one of the better episodes for the season. I liked it.

FINAL EPISODE:
:hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :half: :nohole:

OVERALL GRADE FOR SEASON:
:hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole: :nohole:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:57 pm 
Black Hole

One note, I always have a problem with zombie movies and stories. Why?

They say you need to kill the brain, right?

But at least 98% of the dead in the USA are embalmed before burial, right?

Which means they are eviscerated prior to being buried, right?

And even if the dead aren't eviscerated before being buried, how long does it take for the brain to be rotted away enough to be unusable by these virus things or whatever?

I would say maybe 48 hours at most. Let's push that out to 4 days, just to be sure.

According to CDC there was approximately 6700 deaths per day in 2007. Let's increase that to 7000 deaths per day where the corpses are not yet embalmed or eviscerated or decomposed to the point where they could no longer become a kill-the-brain zombie (this does not include deaths where the brain would be unusable as well - crushing of entire skull and contents, cancer that had ate through the brain stem, snapped brain stems, etc.).

Typically, something so contagious and dramatic would gain immediate attention. And the response would be fairly quick and immediate. Remember, even in the old Night of the Living Dead, it must have taken less than 24 hours to organize against the zombies, and that was in the boondocks.

DAY 1
Starting number of zombies @ 4days of available dead people: 28,000
Number of old zombies killed right off the bat (35%): 9,800
Number of old zombies contained (50%): 11,200
Number of old zombies allowed to wander free (15%): 4,200

Now, let's say out of that 15% about half of them are able to freely infect or partially devour new people. At least 75% of those would be killed while being distracted by their meal. So you would still end up losing even more zombies.

Sheesh, including all the other factors - this how I see the population progressing for Zombie Nation USA...

Total zombies end of Day 1: ~3,000

Even adding in the new 7,000 deaths would not save them.

The mop up of the 2nd day would be fairly complete. You may get some real minor numbers of people trying to hide the fact that they are infected, or that their mother is a zombie, or whatever - but even those numbers would decline rapidly.

Maybe a month until virtually all remnants are wiped clean.

Other countries may not fair as well as that, but I seriously doubt zombies of the slow meandering quality could ever present a danger or threat on a global scale.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:05 pm 
Site Admin

Zombies aren't real. We have nothing to fear from them. The real threat is robots. The robot apocalypse is coming. That is fact. Why waste time on fantasy when a real uprising is already in the works?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:09 pm 

Zombies? Robots? Doesn't matter, either way, since the world's going to end on new year's eve, 2011.

On a clear day, if you look real hard, you can already see Nibiru hurtling towards us.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:09 pm 

All this makes the reptoids very happy, naturally.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:25 pm 
Site Admin

More fantasy. 2012 is fantasy. Robots on the other hand are real. Their processing power is going up at an exponential rate. We're only years away from a full fledged robot war. Count on it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:32 pm 

The reptoids will kill us all before they allow that to happen.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 454 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next