It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 454 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:21 pm 
Singularity ∞

brian wrote:
Season 1 - Atlanta backdrop

Sets involve malls/CDC building/Hospitals/deserted city streets/long stretches of highway

Season 2 - We've had a farm, a darkened school, and a bar. And when we're lucky, they show a zombie. The budget cut is pretty visible.

Well, in all fairness -- and I agree that the show has been underwhelming -- that is pretty close to the progress of the source material, and it also makes sense in the context of the story. They tried an urban area, twice, and were badly overrun. Urban areas were clearly too dangerous, so they moved into more open area.

Anyway, started on the second half of season two last night. First two episodes = some of the best of the series so far. Maybe the best so far. Hell, stuff is actually happening. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:27 pm 

It gets better each episode. Enjoy them! Who knows if they will continue making the series better.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:49 am 
Singularity ∞

Two more episodes down, and all of a sudden the show has become the show it should have been in the first season and a half.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:30 am 

Shoe wrote:
Two more episodes down, and all of a sudden the show has become the show it should have been in the first season and a half.

Yup, second season better, but the first half of season 2 is only marginally better than season 1, second half of season 2 kicks major ass.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:30 am 

Riedenschneider wrote:
Shoe wrote:

Yup, second season better, but the first half of season 2 is only marginally better than season 1, second half of season 2 kicks major ass.

Wow, didn't I say that?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:27 am 
Pollution Baby

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:15 am 

I normally despise "gimmick" packaging, but that is seriously cool.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:51 pm 

Seriously, no one's talking about the show? This season has been very good thus far, and I like how they're folding in more elements of the comics in clever ways. Plus, it looks a lot better this year...the episodes last year looked like shit, all bleary and smeary and pixelated. Now it actually looks like HD.

However, I always pronounced it "MICK-OWN" in my head reading the books, not "MISH-OWN".

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:41 pm 

Monterey Jack wrote:
However, I always pronounced it "MICK-OWN" in my head reading the books, not "MISH-OWN".

How do you pronounce Michelle?

Yeah, this season is decent. Season 2's latter half was pretty decent, but you're right, it had a fairly bland look.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:02 pm 

I've never met a "Michonne" in real life, or even heard that name used for a fictional character. It's always weird to have a particular pronounciation of a name in your head reading a book, then hearing it spoken completely different in a film/TV adapation (or even hearing one pronounciation in one version of a franchise, and a different one elsewhere...witness "Ong" in that lousy Last Airbender movie).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:27 pm 

Sounded French, pronounced it as such. I get what you're saying, I just didn't have a problem with that name.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:23 am 
Site Admin

I'm digging this season. Lots more gore. No one is safe. It's starting to go back over we'll worn ground though and that's not a good sign. I do like the Boy and His Dog style community the Governor has going on. That won't last long.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:18 am 
Sinkhole

I met IronE Singleton last weekend at a horror conv. He gave everybody a huge hug before taking photos. Nicest guy.

Carl is still short - I expected him to be older and taller by now, but I guess the filmed season 3 recently because he's still growing.

Keisha Tillis was there, too. She was the zombie wife/mom from Season 1 who keeps trying to get back into her house. Gorgeous woman, I told her she was beautiful and it embarrassed her.

They never did close the loop on that husband and wife after Rick left that town on his way to Atlanta. Wonder if they'll be back...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:52 am 

I've been avoiding this thread like the plague until I was all caught up on Season 3. SEems like a waste now, since so little has been said. Digging S3, it's the best season so far IMHO. Great stuff w/Michonn and the Governor. Always good to get Michael Rooker.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:31 am 

I've been pretty blunt about my issues with both the comic and the show, so you may want to take my opinion with a grain of salt, but the episodic Walking Dead game by Telltale Games is the best example of storytelling that's been done in this universe, bar none. I never thought a point and click game could be so goddamned engaging, but Telltale proves that any game mechanic can work fantastically if its backed by a strong story.

I highly recommend you download and play every episode but be forewarned: you will feel like shit afterwards...and I mean that as the highest possible praise.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:35 am 

Um, exactly why was Michonne so gung-ho to kill the Governor? Her motivation was clear in the comics --

Spoiler: show
-- where the Governor brutally raped and beat her over and over to get Glenn to give up the location of the prison --

-- but here, her killing rage was just kind of glossed over. If it was just because The Governor and Woodbury "stole" Andrea from her (as her face-off with her would indicate), that's a pretty weak motivation.

Still, a great mid-season breaking point. Loved Glenn improvising a shiv out of a walker arm bone. :thumbs:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:34 pm 
Singularity ∞

Monterey Jack wrote:
Um, exactly why was Michonne so gung-ho to kill the Governor? Her motivation was clear in the comics --

-- where the Governor brutally raped and beat her over and over to get Glenn to give up the location of the prison --

-- but here, her killing rage was just kind of glossed over. If it was just because The Governor and Woodbury "stole" Andrea from her (as her face-off with her would indicate), that's a pretty weak motivation.

Agreed. The only major weak link in what has easily been the show's best stretch so far. This show started off very weak, weak to the point that I just stopped caring and barely paid attention, but the first stretch of this season has been pretty good.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:54 am 

I think they made it pretty clear that Michonne knew the Governor was bad news from the get go. She knew the bullet holes on the Army vehicles was fresh, as well as the blood. She knew that the Governor had them killed. Add to that the fact that the Governor and Woodbury did "steal" Andrea (with whom she obviously has a very caring relationship), and that Michonne is a killing machine, and it doesn't surprise me she wanted him dead. I haven't read the comics, so I think that helps me not bring in any preconceived notions about characters and their motivation to the show. I thought this last episode was one of the strongest of the series so far.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:58 pm 
Site Admin

I think the one where the kid had to shoot his dead mom in the head after she died from being sliced open to get the baby out was the strongest episode of the series so far. It was ultra violent, emotionally disturbing and threw lots of unexpected turns into the highly tense hour. I found the mid-season finale to be a bit weak. Not much really happened and the cliff hanger was one of the weaker ones this year.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:04 pm 
Site Admin

crikey wrote:
They never did close the loop on that husband and wife after Rick left that town on his way to Atlanta. Wonder if they'll be back...

You mean that black guy who Rick gave a radio and a bunch of guns to? I'd like to find out what happened to him too.

They dropped a bunch of story threads from the first season. That whole thing at the CDC? There were a bunch of answers hinted at there but never followed up on. I want to know more about what happened when the epidemic started and what the government did to try and understand/contain it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:55 am 
Singularity ∞

Surf Monkey wrote:
I think the one where the kid had to shoot his dead mom in the head after she died from being sliced open to get the baby out was the strongest episode of the series so far. It was ultra violent, emotionally disturbing and threw lots of unexpected turns into the highly tense hour. I found the mid-season finale to be a bit weak. Not much really happened and the cliff hanger was one of the weaker ones this year.

Agreed all around, both good and bad. That was a very strong episode, more emotionally moving than I expected even with knowing what was going to happen, and the cliffhanger fell a bit short.
Surf Monkey wrote:
They dropped a bunch of story threads from the first season. That whole thing at the CDC? There were a bunch of answers hinted at there but never followed up on. I want to know more about what happened when the epidemic started and what the government did to try and understand/contain it.

I'd like them to get into that, too, but if they stick with the general philosophy of the comics they won't. Through 100 issues that stuff hasn't even been touched on. The CDC thing in general was unique to the show.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:39 am 

Actually, the father and his kid from the first episode do eventually get re-introduced in the comics, but considering how far the show's storyline had drifted from the comics, it's not likely we'll be seeing them again.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:54 am 
Singularity ∞

I don't think it has drifted very far from the comic at all. The setpieces have remained the same, the general story beats have been the same. The details differ, but the trajectory has thus far been pretty close.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:14 am 

Shoe wrote:
I don't think it has drifted very far from the comic at all. The setpieces have remained the same, the general story beats have been the same. The details differ, but the trajectory has thus far been pretty close.

The only thing I would add is that Andrea and Maggie are both ridiculously different than in the comics.

The the point where Andrea is one of my favorite characters in the book, but I hate her character in the show.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:14 am 
Singularity ∞

Yeah, show Andrea is kind of a coont while comic Andrea is really likable.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:18 am 
Pollution Baby

The Mrs and I just watched the 1st 2 seasons over a few nights on Netflix. Really liked all of it, but the beginning of season 2 had a lot of repetitive whining. The Sophia reveal was awesome though. What struck me at first about the series, knowing absolutely nothing about the books, was that it focused on the human aspect and not so much about the higher view-how it happened-type things, brought us back to Romero, where it needs to be.

Anyone know where I can get season 3 episodes so far?

P.S. Just reading through all of this thread is a perfect example of what happens when geek love meets mainstream approval. Reads like an example in the forward of a case study.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:43 am 

Ericubus wrote:

Do you have On Demand? They were on there, though the beginning of Season 3 may have dropped off by now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:59 am 
Pollution Baby

Kimfair wrote:
Ericubus wrote:

Do you have On Demand? They were on there, though the beginning of Season 3 may have dropped off by now.

I have Comcast and couldn't find them (or any The Walking Dead episodes) On Demand. Only shorts talking about the show.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:53 pm 
Singularity ∞

Hope you can access them. The first half of season 3 is the show's strongest stretch to date.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:49 pm 
Pollution Baby

Watched the first 6 episodes of season 3 last night.

A bit jarring from the end of last season, continuity wise, but still good. I'm growing more and more unforgiving with the idiotic actions of the group, and there was one very poorly done scene with the new colony.
The shock scene when the Governor pulls the handgun on like 7 fully armed and battle hardened soldiers, all pointing automatic weapons at him, and he is not riddled with bullets. Fucking stupid scene.

Fucking Stupid.

I fully understand and appreciate the shock value, but it was very poorly done.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:01 pm 
Singularity ∞

Agreed on that scene. Tried way too hard to be cool.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:58 am 
Pollution Baby

Shoe wrote:
Agreed on that scene. Tried way too hard to be cool.
Half expected him to turn around, put on some sunglasses, then the soundtrack . . . . . YEEEAAAHHHHH!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:21 am 

Plus, it made so little logical sense...

...if you had a small community you needed to protect from packs of roving zombies, wouldn't trained soldiers be an excellent addition to that community? Killing them all just to swipe their weapons was stupid. Strength in numbers, and all that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:24 am 
Pollution Baby

Monterey Jack wrote:
Plus, it made so little logical sense...

...if you had a small community you needed to protect from packs of roving zombies, wouldn't trained soldiers be an excellent addition to that community? Killing them all just to swipe their weapons was stupid. Strength in numbers, and all that.
The way I saw it was he didn't want his authority challenged, and they needed women more than men. Those guys already had their chain of command, and would pose a definite threat to him.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:58 pm 
Singularity ∞

Exactly.

Not that that was the right move, but yeah, that was clearly the motivation.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 454 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next