It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 454 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:59 am 
Singularity ∞

Cru wrote:
Shoe wrote:
Not that King's opinion should have any bearing on anyone else's. It either works for you or it doesn't. What King says is only relevant if you're talking about King's opinion.

Agreed, and I'll go you one better: King is the last person to go to for honest criticism of his work or adaptations thereof.

Agreed. While I disagree with you about "The Mist," I still put no stock in King's take on things. This is the guy who absolutely hates what Kubrick did with "The Shining," after all.

Sorry, Stevie, but Kubrick used your story to turn out one of the most brilliant and iconic psychological horror films of all time. Suck it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:04 am 

Ericubus wrote:
Please, elaborate . . .

It tries to be devastating and nihilistic but, considering that we've just spent two hours with the most unlikable people ever making the dumbest fucking decisions possible, it winds up having the complete opposite effect.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:18 am 

Why are they unlikable? Why are they dumb? What would YOU do in their place?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:38 am 

I wouldn't try to barricade the windows with bags of dog food, and even if I were I'd sure as hell stack the bags more than a foot high.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:41 am 
Black Hole

I see no need to "like" the people at the end.

I think looking for anything beyond a cool movie with lots of cool ways people die - including children - well, fuck, I thought it was very H.P. Lovecraftian and Shakespearian in how no one is immune to being fucked over, killed or totally driven beyond sanity.

I especially like how the children are not immune.

Children die just as easily as adults - more easily in some circumstances.

Killing children in movies is so rare that it should be celebrated at every opportunity.

/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:47 am 
Black Hole

Cru wrote:
I wouldn't try to barricade the windows with bags of dog food, and even if I were I'd sure as hell stack the bags more than a foot high.

Really?

You are going with the whole Bags of Dog Food Defense for your position?

How utterly weak and infantile.

8-)

/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:48 am 
Singularity ∞

The protags were some of the only people trying to keep their head and not giving into crazy religious lady's rantings and ravings.

Windows were busted while the barricades were still being put up, and they only had limited supplies in the grocery store. Only so much they could do.

liked the way people had their belief slowly stripped from them, then built back up again by a lunatic preaching the end times.

Liked the choice of dying by the hands of religious loonies or by Lovecraftian monsters.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:49 am 

Cru wrote:

A.) What else would you use to barricade the doors and windows? It's a small-town supermarket. It's not like they have access to steel plates and arc welders.

B.) At least in the novella, the lead character does think to himself that the bags of dog food are a pretty piss-poor defense line, but admits it's the best they can do with the materials at hand. I'm pretty sure someone says something to this effect in the movie as well.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:55 am 
Singularity ∞

Monterey Jack wrote:
I'm pretty sure someone says something to this effect in the movie as well.

They do. Some of the characters mock the effort, others say yeah, this sucks, but it's all we got. A quick Google turns up (don't have character names, I don't recall who said what):

"There's no defense here, either. Not even with all the fertilizer in the world, not even if you stack it as high as you can. It's still just bags of shit, isn't it? Those of you who want to discuss this thing rationallyto find a means of rescue are welcome to join me. Those who want to stack dog food, knock yourselves out."

"We got those windows taped up as best we could. It should help."

"Yeah, think so? Duct tape and dog food bags."

"That bad?"

"It's not good"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:59 am 
Black Hole

Cru is just dead set against admitting Amy's tits rule.

/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:00 pm 

Monterey Jack wrote:
A.) What else would you use to barricade the doors and windows? It's a small-town supermarket. It's not like they have access to steel plates and arc welders.

Um, shelving? Am I supposed to believe that a grocery store full of able-bodied men can't move a cooler or two? Can't take a bathroom or office door off its hinges?

Nice straw man about "steel plates and arc welders."

Quote:
B.) At least in the novella, the lead character does think to himself that the bags of dog food are a pretty piss-poor defense line, but admits it's the best they can do with the materials at hand. I'm pretty sure someone says something to this effect in the movie as well.

Novella =/= movie. I'm pretty sure nobody does say anything to that effect in the movie, which is why it stood out so much to me at the time. Then again, even if they did, see above.

Really, guys. It was an off-handed comment about a movie that I haven't seen in three years or so and don't really care to again. If you're looking for a detailed critical deconstruction of every plot point in The Mist, you're going to have to look elsewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:02 pm 
Black Hole

Cru wrote:
Really, guys. It was an off-handed comment about a movie that I haven't seen in three years or so and don't really care to again. If you're looking for a detailed critical deconstruction of every plot point in The Mist, you're going to have to look elsewhere.

So you admit your only point of reference for judging Amy's tits is a bag of dog food and you would have no idea how they really feel or how wonderful they really are?

/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:15 pm 
Singularity ∞

Cru is anti-tit.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:31 pm 

Clearly.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:03 pm 
Pollution Baby

Indeed

I only asked because normally I agree with your opinions, and when I don't, I like to know the reasoning behind it.

It was a completely different tone the film took, and felt like a different movie at the end, but I did appreciate the chance they took with it, and enjoyed it for what it was. I think it would have been much more interesting to watch the slow decline from anything to stay alive, complete hope of rescue and survival, to a 100% nihilistic mindset. Cramming that transformation into about 5 minutes didn't work very well, but I did enjoy it, and will remember it.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:56 pm 

Wait a minute... from what I'm reading I'm guessing that at the end of the movie someone dies? I thought the twist was they all realized there was no hope and the whole store just had a giant orgy and waited for the end.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:11 pm 
Black Hole

caryc wrote:
Wait a minute... from what I'm reading I'm guessing that at the end of the movie someone dies? I thought the twist was they all realized there was no hope and the whole store just had a giant orgy and waited for the end.

Death by orgy.

Unless you hate tits.

/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:56 pm 

caryc wrote:
I thought the twist was they all realized there was no hope and the whole store just had a giant orgy and waited for the end.

That would have made the movie ending perfectly fine.

The same "shocking" ending was done in no less than two movies in the year prior. I am fine with Darabont, and I had no problem with the film itself. My problem is that the end betrays the film by not only changing the entire "message" but destroying all suspense and ambiguity all the while giving credence to the dumbest character in the film.

http://www.dvdinmypants.com/reviews/H-N/the_mist.php

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:49 pm 

Cru wrote:
Um, shelving? Am I supposed to believe that a grocery store full of able-bodied men can't move a cooler or two? Can't take a bathroom or office door off its hinges?

There clearly was a cooler parked right in front of the doors. And you think thin metal shelving is any better than 20-pound bags of dog food? Trust me, big bags of dog food are heavy as shit, and a dozen or so of those stacked on top of each other would be difficult to move. What would you use to keep the shelving in place?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:19 pm 

Monterey Jack wrote:
What would you use to keep the shelving in place?

I don't like The Mist. I've given it two opportunities to win me over and it didn't. Accept the fact that I don't love one of your pet films and move on.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:07 am 
Site Admin

I'm with you, Cru. Not a The Mist fan at all. But wasn't this thread supposed to be about Walking Dead?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:17 am 
Singularity ∞

Surf Monkey wrote:
But wasn't this thread supposed to be about Walking Dead?

WHICH WILL BE AWESOME.

I'm really looking forward to it. The footage looks great, casting looks exceptional, and the fact that the first season is a tight little self-contained burst of six episodes is a big positive, in my opinion. That will allow them to get in there, tell a story with the luxury of the extra time television affords them, but they'll get back out again without having to worry about filling 13 or 24 episodes. No muss, no fuss, no filler.

Good approach. It can either be a mini-series or, if it's successful, spawn future seasons that will also (I hope) be handled the same way.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:35 am 
Site Admin

Yeah, I'm psyched for this as well. I've seen some of the makeups and they look amazing. Just got done re-reading the first ten issues of the comic as well. Walking Dead is easily my most anticipated series of the fall.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:00 am 

I'm just wondering how much gore will be allowed on the show.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:06 am 
Singularity ∞

It's cable. If they can show all the uncensored gore of Starship Troopers, they can show some zombie gore.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:23 am 
Black Hole

"It's a nasty planet. A bug planet."

/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:50 am 

Shoe wrote:
It's cable. If they can show all the uncensored gore of Starship Troopers, they can show some zombie gore.

Isn't AMC basic cable, though? They can't do hardcore violence and language like HBO, right?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:53 am 
Black Hole

Monterey Jack wrote:
Shoe wrote:

Isn't AMC basic cable, though? They can't do hardcore violence and language like HBO, right?

Cable channels can do whatever the fuck they want.

Comedy Central used to show the Bigger, Uncut version of South Park the Movie.

It is whether they choose to do so or not.

/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:02 am 
Singularity ∞

Monterey Jack wrote:
Shoe wrote:

Pender is correct. Cable is cable. Like I said, basic cable has shown the uncensored gore of Starship Troopers (Sci-Fi Channel), raw language, and even the nudity of films like Intimacy.

Cable television, basic or otherwise, is not bound by FCC rules. Channels driven by advertising still shy away from content that might cause problems, such as sex and nudity, but there is nothing preventing them from showing it if they want.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:11 pm 
Site Admin

True. All that rating stuff and early evening censoring that some of the cable channels do is completely voluntary. They don't have to do it if they don't want to.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:47 am 
Sinkhole

I may cry if DirecTV doesn't add the HD version of AMC before this comes on.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:13 am 
Canyon

Looking forward to Walking Dead. Derivative, sure. But it still looks better than 90% of everything else on television. Regarding King's later output I'll impart this -- when you've shat out something as epicly awesome as IT the only place to go is down. Nobody's even come close to touching IT since it was released including King himself.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:31 am 
HMFIC

The uncut version of The Stand came out after IT. But admittedly, it was written before.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:15 am 

Full trailer here. I gotta say, I like what I see.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:26 am 
Singularity ∞

Saw that when it was just crappy camera phone footage from comic-con. Seeing it in high quality ... HELL YEAH. Crossing my fingers and hoping they'll nail it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 454 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next