It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 454 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:28 pm 

Ericubus wrote:
But, my real guess is that they were just putting together an awesome foosball set when someone spoiled the plans.

:lol:

Yeah, the legs were just over there.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:09 pm 
Pollution Baby

Alexandria - What's the deal?

The new crush of Carl's is a big question mark. She just got there about a month ago. Was she going to meet up with people outside, or just getting some air?

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:36 pm 
Singularity ∞

Ericubus wrote:

Do you actually want to know or you're just wondering aloud?

If the show stays somewhat close to the book, I'll probably like this stretch of the show.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:48 pm 
Pollution Baby

Shoe wrote:
Ericubus wrote:

Do you actually want to know or you're just wondering aloud?

If the show stays somewhat close to the book, I'll probably like this stretch of the show.
I would like to discuss the meaningless with the ignorant, please. Go away.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:12 pm 
Singularity ∞

Sheesh.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:16 pm 
Pollution Baby

Shoe wrote:
Sheesh.

New topic, do you think you would enjoy the series more if you hadn't read the books?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:33 pm 
Singularity ∞

I don't think it makes a difference. The show diverges from the books constantly, so it has continuously has the ability to surprise me. It has followed the same broad arc as the books, but the details are different 99% of the time.

For example, in the books they also encountered the Governor, lived in a prison, and the Governor drove them out.

Despite this, the two stories were very different. It's only the general framework that is the same.

Plus, the show routinely invents new storylines. The hospital, for instance? And Terminus? Neither appeared in the books. They are unique to the show. I had no idea what to expect or what would play out. Everyone being alone on the road after the prison? Same thing.

So are some characters. Daryl, for instance. He only on the show.

So I'm just as in the dark as anyone else. I might know the basics of the broad story arc, but in reality so do YOU, when you think about it. The show is formulaic. Safe place -> trouble -> meltdown -> move on -> dark times -> new safe place, over and over and over again.

Short answer: No, I don't think so. If anything, I think it makes me like it a bit more than I would otherwise. At least I know when there is something to look forward to during a bad stretch (and this show has had several).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:51 pm 
Pollution Baby

WHAT!?!

I never knew that, it will be hard to motivate myself to read the books now.

I guess the big thing would be knowing somewhat how a new area from the book will go bad. I do know that Alexandria is in the books, so you probably at least know if the people are good or bad, or if the eventual fuck over is from outside or inside, even if the details are far removed.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:54 pm 
Singularity ∞

I get what you mean. Things are different enough, though, so that I don't think it has impacted my viewing.

For example, it's entirely possible they drop the whole 'vampire' angle from the TV Alexandria. Who knows?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:05 pm 
Pollution Baby

Shoe wrote:
I get what you mean. Things are different enough, though, so that I don't think it has impacted my viewing.

For example, it's entirely possible they drop the whole 'vampire' angle from the TV Alexandria. Who knows?

I hope they at least don't make them sparkly. He couldn't have known when he wrote it, but, ya know...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:51 pm 

The show is pretty heavy on the foreshadowing, books or not, I think Rick's words at the end of the last episode are fairly revealing on where they want to go with this story arc.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:00 pm 
Singularity ∞

That's a nice way to say the writing is clumsy.

It is.

It's why The Walking Dead might be really damn entertaining -- it really is, i enjoy it a lot -- but it will never rank among the great TV shows.

The comics are similar.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:23 pm 

Right. Full of goofy TV tropes too, like when the group was going to be executed in Terminus, but there's a convenient and predictable interruption.

They only kill a character off if it's a mid-season finale, it would seem.

It's fun. It's watchable. Sometimes, way more clever than it ought to be. But clumsy sounds about right.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:56 am 
Pollution Baby

I have a feeling, which could be 100% wrong of course, that the thing Rick said was to set up the audience being worried about it. There will be some conflict or situation where Rick could be the reason things get fucked up, and we will believe he is going to due to that foreshadowing, but maybe Michonne or Carl or somebody will talk him down, or maybe even a rift in the group.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:51 am 

But then there'd be no conflict and reason for the group to find another home. Which is the trope.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:49 am 
Pollution Baby

WHY WON'T ANYONE DIG A FUCKING MOAT?

Besides that...

It's starting to seem odd that they haven't shown any of of the leadership interacting in official capacity of Alexandria yet. Like a town meeting, or an address to everyone somehow. Everyone just kind of accepts what is laid down in front of them. Just seems odd.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:13 pm 

Shoe wrote:
The show is formulaic. Safe place -> trouble -> meltdown -> move on -> dark times -> new safe place, over and over and over again.

This is why I've been unable to get into The Walking Dead (be it comic or TV series). I read the first 100 or so issues and watched the first 10 episodes. For me the frustrating thing is this never-ending cycle and that there continues to be no end in sight. I'm a huge horror fan and should be on this particular bandwagon in a big way but I just can't get into it.

That said, The Governor run of the comic was my favorite part.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:47 pm 
Singularity ∞

Around issue 130 or so things took a welcome turn that changed the nature of the book by a large extent, and in my opinion for the better.

However, I didn't keep up reading after that, so I'm not sure if he fell back into old patterns.

I suspect he probably has. He's always been very open about wanting to do the book (and presumably now the show) until it starts to flop, so unless he was bold enough to really explore the turn the book took, he'll go back to the pattern.

I'd really like to see it evolve towards rebuilding civilization and have them deeply explore that concept, and just keep building on that, but I doubt Kirkman and team have the balls to play with a winning formula that much. Understandably so, of course. This is a huge hit, after all.

I do like the show and book both, but I'm not blind to the deep flaws in both. The Walking Dead is candy, not a meal. Nothing wrong with that! Just don't expect too much from it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:50 am 
Singularity ∞

So Walking Dead is not only getting a spinoff with a new group, it's also getting a prequel set in LA just as the breakout is occurring.

I dunno. This seems like overkill.

I hope they're at least smart enough to rotate them so that no two shows are ever airing during the same season.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:04 pm 

If it followed the story of survivors on an antarctic research lab, I'd be into it. Or Astronauts that returned to "WTF? ZOMBIES" on earth.

If it's just another group of misfits, pfft.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:33 am 

The revolving door kill was one of the most impressive I've yet seen on this show...damn.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:15 am 

Monterey Jack wrote:
The revolving door kill was one of the most impressive I've yet seen on this show...damn.

It was especially gruesome. I felt so bad for Noah as well. I really liked that character.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:31 am 
Singularity ∞

Forget the revolving door kill, the earlier one in the factory was far worse. Almost Day of the dead level. They're REALLY pushing the limits of TV with those two.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:50 am 

Shoe wrote:
Forget the revolving door kill, the earlier one in the factory was far worse. Almost Day of the dead level. They're REALLY pushing the limits of TV with those two.

Yeah both those two were particularly gruesome. Between the intestinal factory kill, and the ripping Noah's face off in a revolving door kill, I did think I was watching a Romero movie.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:25 am 

That's the oddity of basic-cable to me...we can watch a man's face get ripped to pieces, but no one is EVER allowed to say the word "fuck". And the show Hannibal is actually on NETWORK TV, and yet still has levels of grue that used to get an NC-17 back in the day in theaters...but no one swears.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:47 pm 

They can say it, they choose not to.

I liked Noah. The nice guy characters always die.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:46 pm 
HMFIC

Just watched. Sort of disappointing. What they came out of the whole hospital storyline was Noah, and now... nothing. And it's looking like the safe zone thing will be done by the end of the season, when it really seems like they'd be better off staying there for a while, just from the point of view of doing something other than being on the road. I liked the prison season. It was something different. The show has to move on eventually, maybe, but I think there's more to mine there than I think they're going to use.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:01 am 
Pollution Baby

I loved Rick getting lip quivering mad at drunk Dr dad, and at the same time, that thought of him wanting to get rid of the guy, and that getting rid of him would make him seem like a bad guy.

The aftermath of that episode's events is going to be lovely.

I also loved both of those kills, very Romero, and very well done. I believe the Noah one was much more gruesome, one for the way it played out, and also for the face ripping. He got all the body bites and pain and horror that goes along with it, as well as zombie fingers in his mouth tearing his face apart while still alive. Damn!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:21 am 
Singularity ∞

I'm not well suited for the zombie genre. Zombie kills often take me out of the story. The reason is nitpicky bullshit, but here it is: You get caught by zombies, they tear you apart and eat you, right?

So how the fuck are there so many zombies in the world?

'Cause all those millions of zombies can't be people who took a bite but managed to survive until they turned.

And they didn't rise from there graves. Zombies can't get through a buried casket.

I mean, they go into a school or warehouse or other large building and it invariably had a few dozen zombies in it. How can that be? Once those zombies started chewing on people, those people getting chewed on are torn up and eat down to juice. So where the fuck did all the zombies come from!?

Nitpicky bullshit, I know.

I like zombie stuff for the post-apocalyptic/survival side of things, not the zombie side of things. They're a plague or a natural disaster.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:52 am 

I agree that there should be more partial bodied zombies, like the half girl in the first episode. Anyone who dies of natural causes (or unnatural non-zombie causes), also turns, so they would be in better shape. It is a problem, though, one that can't be simply explained.

I watched a n ew show last night called izombie. Very interesting take on the zombie mythos. I did a series DVR recording, since I found the conceit interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:46 am 
Pollution Baby

All very true, but it is the thing you just kind of have to go with. There are other things about zombies that make it unrealistic, like muscles not being about to work without blood flow, same with nerves and carrying signals for the brain, etc etc etc... and the amount of dead people at one point in time compared to the amount of living people.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:53 am 
Singularity ∞

Oh, absolutely. I know it's unreasonable for it to bug me. It's a conceit of the genre. Just one of those things, you know?

A lot of the other stuff I'm fine with, because it's not too hard to invent semi-plausible explanations for how they keep moving and all that. Hell, just calling it supernatural is good enough (though I prefer the more "realistic" scientifically explained breed of zombie).

Accepting that the dead can walk is like accepting that a man can fly. You just do, otherwise you take a pass on the genre.

But the zombie numbers thing ... I can never quite get my head around that one.

I admit, it's silly.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:00 am 
Singularity ∞

I think a big part of it is that for me, zombie stories are survival stories. Ever since I was a kid I've been fascinated with the idea of world collapse, of most of humanity disappearing and just a few people trying to survive and rebuild, all that stuff.

With these stories, a big part of my enjoyment of them is putting myself inside the story. What would I do? Would I react that way? How would I start to rebuild?

Looking at the nature of the world and the collapse, seeing what rules the story creator put in place, puzzling out how you'd overcome the scenario's obstacles, all that stuff is part of my enjoyment. As I watch or read, I'm running scenarios through my head trying to figure out how I'd survive.

It's why in a twisted way I really LIKED going through Hurricane Sandy. Those initial days of no rules, figuring out how to clean up the wreckage, scavenging in a wrecked house for batteries and food, and life being put on hold because you had to pick up the pieces of what you once knew (both figuratively and literally) were strangely invigorating for me.

I think that's why that part of the zombie genre throws me. It's not the zombies themselves -- like I said, they are like any other force of nature you have to contend with, so they're easy to accept as they are -- it's that that one aspect of the zombie genre doesn't play by the rules of its own universe.

The zombie population should be limited or, like Kimfair says, there should be tons more partial zombies out there.

:shrug:

Picky, but in a fun way.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:06 am 

I think you should check out izombie, Shoe. The zombie (she believes she's the only one) can talk and still interact with people. She works in a morgue, and she only eats brains, but her workplace provides her with plenty of that. She also takes on some of the propensities of the people whose brain she's eaten.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:31 am 
Singularity ∞

That sounds pretty cool. I vaguely recall hearing about it, but wasn't fully aware of the conceit. Consider it added to the list.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 454 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next