It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 454 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:43 am 
Black Hole

Looks promising.

/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:55 am 

Why does it seem like I've seen that before? Oh yeah, because I have. Many times.

Zombies are so over.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:26 am 

Says the man who will see the new Saw movie on opening night.

:roll:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:42 am 

That's because SAW owns.

Plus, SAW Is pretty much the only game in town for that type of thing. Zombies are ubiquitous right now, thus their appeal to me is greatly diminished.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:18 pm 
Singularity ∞

I don't suffer from the same burnout because I generally don't go in for this sort of thing. Not real big on zombie stuff, never have been despite having seen all the major flicks and being very familiar with the tropes, but Walking Dead clicked for me. The end of the world/survivalist aspect is what appeals to me. Same story, same characters, but a plague instead of zombies? I'm still in. For me, the zombies are window dressing.

But for someone who is into this scene, I can see how it's just too much right now, especially when stuff like WD isn't exactly doing anything new with it. In a lot of ways it's just the Romero stuff extended out into a soap opera.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:43 pm 

Shoe wrote:
But for someone who is into this scene, I can see how it's just too much right now, especially when stuff like WD isn't exactly doing anything new with it. In a lot of ways it's just the Romero stuff extended out into a soap opera.

The appeal for me is that even Romero isn't doing the Romero stuff anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:25 am 

Cru wrote:
Why does it seem like I've seen that before? Oh yeah, because I have. Many times.

Zombies are so over.

Why does it seem like I've read this post before?

Cru Jones wrote:
Surf Monkey wrote:
Doooood. Ask your hero Cru. He'll back me up on this one.

Zombies are, indeed, over and have been for some time.

Regarding Zombieland. Which Owned.

I'm with Shoe though, it's all about the post-apocalyptic society. Zombies are fun though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:35 pm 

It's not like any movie has to re-invent the cliches of its genre to be entertaining. As long as the characters are people you want to spend time with, that's really the important thing. The Walking Dead comics are pretty light on actual zombie stuff for long stretches of time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:38 pm 

Quote:
It's not like any movie has to re-invent the cliches of its genre to be entertaining.

And nobody's saying anything of the sort.

My problem with the comic was less the lack of originality and the fact that they didn't bring anything else to the table to mitigate it. I didn't find the characters interesting or sympathetic so reading a story that I'd more or less already read recast with characters I didn't like had no appeal to me. Eventually the comic just started reiterating plots it had already done, which is great if you liked those plots. I didn't. Keep in mind that I stuck with the series through 8 graphic novels, so it's not like I read two issues and wrote it off. I gave it every chance to click and it never did.

At least with a TV show they could do something visually interesting but in just the trailer I saw shots that were almost direct lifts from 28 Days Later and the Dawn of the Dead remake, which doesn't instill a whole lot of confidence in me.

Who knows. I could be wrong and I'd certainly like to proven so. I just don't think I will be.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:39 pm 

I'll watch it anyways. I enjoy the comic, I enjoy AMC's other TV efforts, and Darabont is just okay.

What about Breaking Bad, Cru? Do you like that?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:47 am 
Sinkhole

As a casual visitor to this board, even I've noticed that Cru just doesn't like anything at all.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:28 am 
Black Hole

OdisN wrote:
As a casual visitor to this board, even I've noticed that Cru just doesn't like anything at all.

:lol:

Funny.

/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:38 am 

Not really sure where the whole "Cru doesn't like anything" comes from since it's demonstrably untrue with, like, three mouse clicks and five seconds of your time.

Whatever.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:49 am 
Black Hole

Cru wrote:
Not really sure where the whole "Cru doesn't like anything" comes from since it's demonstrably untrue with, like, three mouse clicks and five seconds of your time.

Whatever.

I like that you don't like what they are saying about you not liking things.

Cru has been a solid contender for content provider in my book, so I am not sure WTF the problem is.

Suffice it to say, on the internet, does it really matter whether you are positive or negative? So long as you are interesting, who cares?

/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:23 pm 
Singularity ∞

Cru wrote:

True. You like Twilight, for instance. And some game; I forget which. And you like disliking things.

That's three things, and I didn't even need five seconds to come up with the list.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:49 pm 
Pollution Baby

Cru loves Piranha (2010), this will allow him to slide on everything else.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:37 pm 

Not bad...a bit slow, and the use of a zoom is kinda lame. Commercial breaks are killing me, so I'll probably download it next week.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:15 pm 

Chris Knight wrote:
I'll probably download it next week.

That's my plan. What fool network runs a premiere on Halloween night? The kids are done trick or treating now. It's time to go smash pumpkins!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:10 am 

It was pretty awesome. Not the best thing ever, but pretty faithful and the small changes don't do anything to hurt it. One episodes and we're maybe two issues in. Looking forward to watch the hell out of this one.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:12 am 
Singularity ∞

Thanks to Fallout I forgot to watch this, but I prefer tackling a slower show without commercials anyway, so that's fine. Technically rips have been online for a week or two now -- one fella I know got a DVD of the first two episodes for review purposes -- but from what I hear no one did a good job with the rips. Figure it'll be all over by the time I get home tonight.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:28 am 

My only real nitpick with this show (and movies like it) is that when a character is trying to describe a living dead scenario to someone who may be new to the situation, why don't they just refer to the umpteen zombie movies that are utterly embedded in pop culture?

"What's going on here?"
"You ever see Night Of The Living Dead?"
"Yes," or "No, but I'm completely familiar with the general subject matter, because I live in a society that has obsessed over films like it for multiple generations."
"That's what's going on."
"OK, then"

There, that saved 10 minutes of exposition.

Having said that, I love that the main character is completely fine with it, and adapts within minutes. No boring pining-for-the-old-days mono/dialogues.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:36 am 
Singularity ∞

Chris Knight wrote:
"What's going on here?"
"You ever see Night Of The Living Dead?"
"Yes," or "No, but I'm completely familiar with the general subject matter, because I live in a society that has obsessed over films like it for multiple generations."
"That's what's going on."
"OK, then"

:lol:

Right on target, though. What else needs to be said other than, "Fucking zombies, man"?

If I'm not mistaken, the book World War Z did handle it this way, which gave it a more tangible sense of reality.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:17 pm 
Black Hole

Maybe only idiots and non-informed fools are left alive?

I am pissed he killed that horse.

I like that they had the gunfire in an enclosed metal box (i.e., tank) make him deaf - what an idiot.

Roped in and will be watching.

I DVR'd it, so no commercial lameness.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:25 pm 

:hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :half:

I pretty much loved the hell out of this. :thumbs: It's faithful to the books (so far) without being slavish, beautifully shot, and it has some of the best zombie makeup/effects I've seen since Day Of The Dead (particularly the legless zombie Rick puts out of her/its misery, which must have used CGI, but damned if I could see the seams). Agreed with Chris Knight that I'm kind of sick of zombie stories where the "rules" have to be explained to a character who's a surrogate for an audience which is already intimately familiar with the tropes of the genre (for some reason they never have to do this with movies about werewolves, vampires, ect., at least since the 1980s where most characters have seen the old movies and know to use silver bullets, crosses, ect.), but at least they got it out of the way quickly and efficiently. Also nice to see Darabont keeping his usual stable of stock players around, like Jeffrey DeMunn and Laurie Holden (I hope William Sadler can be worked it at some point. The man did play Death, after all :wink: ). This was a terrific pilot both for fans of the books and general zombie fans, and here's hoping AMC will order more episodes following the intial six.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:27 pm 

Pender wrote:
I like that they had the gunfire in an enclosed metal box (i.e., tank) make him deaf - what an idiot.

A nice touch of realism, whereas most movie characters can blow through an entire machine gun clip and never have to go "Huh, what?!" afterwards.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:47 am 

caryc wrote:
What fool network runs a premiere on Halloween night?

The kind of network that likes blasting their rating records...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/ ... ings-34098

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:49 am 

Chris Knight wrote:
My only real nitpick with this show (and movies like it) is that when a character is trying to describe a living dead scenario to someone who may be new to the situation, why don't they just refer to the umpteen zombie movies that are utterly embedded in pop culture?

Return of the Living Dead attempted something like this, but it was technically a spiritual sequel to Night so I'm not sure that counts.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:36 am 

Noto wrote:
caryc wrote:
What fool network runs a premiere on Halloween night?

The kind of network that likes blasting their rating records...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/ ... ings-34098

You're getting old Noto. You should have been out smashing pumpkins and rolling houses.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:14 am 

"According to this, he was an organ donor." :lol:

Great second episode. Glenn is one of my favorite characters from the comics, and it looks like he's been cast perfectly (although I wonder if they'll have him shave his head later in the series). Always awesome to see Michael Rooker.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:42 am 
Site Admin

The second episode fell off a little, but it was still great. I'm curious to see how long they can maintain it. At some point zombies become tedious. They represent a very limited and predictable threat. Long form zombie stories seem suited to comics, but I'm not convinced that serial television will be able to sustain more than a couple seasons worth of it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:27 pm 

Monterey Jack wrote:
"According to this, he was an organ donor." :lol:

Great second episode. Glenn is one of my favorite characters from the comics, and it looks like he's been cast perfectly (although I wonder if they'll have him shave his head later in the series). Always awesome to see Michael Rooker.

He's got that whole "asian" look down pretty well too!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:24 pm 

Surf Monkey wrote:
The second episode fell off a little, but it was still great. I'm curious to see how long they can maintain it. At some point zombies become tedious. They represent a very limited and predictable threat. Long form zombie stories seem suited to comics, but I'm not convinced that serial television will be able to sustain more than a couple seasons worth of it.

Robert Kirkman recently revealed he has plans to keep the comic going until it reaches at least 250(!) issues (it's currently around issue #80), so I seriously doubt Darabont will keep the TV series running for that long. Four or five seasons seems like a good run, providing the writers can find a good way to end it all (there's no ending in sight for the comics).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:59 am 
Singularity ∞

Watched the first episode last night. Absolutely loved it. It was exactly what I hoped for. Great acting, great casting, great visuals. Loved the methodical pace and the quiet character moments. Loved that, as with the comic, the focus isn't on what zombies do to people, it's on how people deal with a changed world. Stellar stuff. I'm impressed.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:56 am 
Minor Depression

I like that two episodes in the zombies haven't killed anyone yet. A zombie movie would be rolling the credits about now, but the show is just getting started. I'm looking forward to the rest of the season.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:30 pm 

The series has been renewed for a second, 13-episode season, FYI. :thumbs:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 454 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next