It is currently Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:23 am 
Singularity ∞

Yeah, it stinks to have some of those crusty old 128kb files in the mix, but if it's all that's easily available I'll usually let it slide for a bit. In most cases, I've eventually been able to upgrade them.

A big hassle for me is tagging and file naming schemes. For artists with a lot of material, I want it all organized in a way that is easy to browse and I can grab things from a certain era at a glance, so I do:

YEAR - Album Name

And for live shows, it's:

LIVE YEAR-MN-DY - Venue & City

I just re-did all my Tangerine Dream albums last night, which was a pain because I have about 50 of their albums (which is less than half their output!).

In the process of upgrading R.E.M. non-album songs, and that is proving to be a huge chore.

Thank god for Tag&Rename. One of the best tools out there. After pirating it for many years, I finally bought it for real. They deserve my money. I've used it a LOT over the years.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:36 am 
Singularity ∞

It can be tedious and time-consuming and at times annoying, but I also sometimes find it relaxing to unwind with Music Organizing Adventures.

I mean, jeez, at this point it's a little sad. Organizing digital music has been a regular hobby for me for 20 years. That's kind of weird, I guess.

But I enjoy it. Mostly.

(The prolific artists are a real challenge. My collection of non-album material from Smashing Pumpkins is at around 50 discs. 50 discs! It does include Zwan and solo Corgan stuff, but the majority of it was done under the Pumpkins name.)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:39 am 
Singularity ∞

Oh, also:
brian wrote:
Song covers that were made as one-offs get their own album.

Yes, I do the same, if the artist has enough covers to justify it. One or two, or a small handful, and they get mixed in with the other tracks. Once there is a solid 25-30 minutes+ of cover material, then it gets its own 'album' distinct from the original material.

Foo Fighters, Metallica, and R.E.M. all spring to mind as acts where I've segregated the cover material.

I probably should with U2, but in my head all those covers they did during the Achtung - Pop era are interwoven with their own music of the era, so I keep them blended.

Oh, and Pearl Jam. Jeez, they've done dozens and dozens of covers. I can't recall how many discs worth of covers I've compiled from them. Five or six? Pretty sure I posted links here once, for Cary.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:55 am 

Shoe wrote:
Pretty sure I posted links here once, for Cary.

You did and I love them. I had a couple of boots from back in the day (like Chapters) that had some killer covers on them. Pearl Jam's version of The Dead Boys' "Sonic Reducer" is incredible. Anyway, I've seen them live a handful of times and they never fail to surprise with good covers. That collection you posted is great.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:05 am 
Singularity ∞

Hell yeah, their Sonic Reducer cover is fucking outstanding. So is Walking The Cow. And any time they break out with Crazy Mary, I'm happy.

Rockin' in the Free World is a bit stale now, but once in a blue moon they pull out Fuckin' Up. They slay that one.

And the last few years they've been doing Love Reign O'r Me, and man, that one is KILLER.

Eddie also did some Doors cuts with the surviving Doors members, and Roadhouse Blues in particular is perfect for him.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:06 pm 
Singularity ∞

Shoe wrote:
Oh, and Pearl Jam. Jeez, they've done dozens and dozens of covers. I can't recall how many discs worth of covers I've compiled from them. Five or six?

TEN DISCS!!

And that's only live stuff. It doesn't include their studio covers, or the so-called Birdman sessions or snatches of cover tunes that show up in their improvs.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:14 pm 

Be lucky you're not into Tangerine Dream. There's 300 hours of "official" bootlegs (meaning, the band endorsed the release of recordings through a non-profit bootleg group called Tangerine Tree). In addition to the many more non-endorsed bootleg concert recordings, official concert releases, soundtracks and albums under the many band line-ups (which is still going, despite the founder's death a few years ago).

I love the band, but there's no fucking way I'm ever going to listen to all of that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:25 pm 
Singularity ∞

You ain't kidding. I have rips of the first two Bootleg Box sets and that's more than enough for me. There are a dozen+ concert recordings between the two of them alone. Do I really need any more than that?

No, I do not.

Between those and the roughly 50 albums and soundtracks I have from them, it's already WAY more than I'll ever actually listen to, especially since I mostly end up gravitating towards their early to mid-70s output, anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:56 pm 

I dig the stuff they put out ever since Ulrich Schnauss joined the band (I was a fan of his for a long time, because he sounded like TD, so go figure he ends up in the band).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:12 pm 

Shoe wrote:
LIVE YEAR-MN-DY - Venue & City

Thank god for Tag&Rename. One of the best tools out there. After pirating it for many years, I finally bought it for real. They deserve my money. I've used it a LOT over the years.

That's good advice for live stuff - I have a ton of Sufjan Stevens/Elliott Smith/Andrew Bird/The Mountain Goats among others. Currently organized as YEAR-MN-DY but adding "Live" to it would probably help with sorting.

And yes, thank you Tag and Rename. MP3Tag is also good for converting file names to tags and vice versa. MusicBrainPicardz is great if you're dealing with stuff with no tags at all - it scans files and makes a guess to what you have. It needs your involvement so it doesn't do something stupid like split an album up over different greatest hits collections, but it has its place.

Lastly, Liveshow tagger for Foobar is invaluable for grabbing track names/metadata from text files for live show bootlegs. I was doing that all manually for a while, because for some reason, the bootleg scene doesn't even tag songs or artist names. The foobar plug in made it a ton easier.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:22 pm 
Singularity ∞

Tag&Rename can scan and fill in the tags for you, too. Works pretty well when you have files with no tags.

The buttons should be at the bottom of the menu, roughly in the center. One button scans that online database for the info - I've found it to be pretty accurate - another scans Amazon for the data. If one doesn't work, often the other will.

And yeah, I added the LIVE bit after I started adding years to the album title tags. Found that mixed live shows in with the albums, and I didn't want that. Made things WAY too messy for artists with a lot of material and a lot of live shows. Putting LIVE at the start was perfect. Segregates them nicely into an easy to browse list of live shows.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:33 pm 

I started looking into having a complete Mountain Goats discography. I'm... not ready for that, even if I'm willing to accept scrappy Mp3s, There are too many.

I think I've mentioned it here before, but find their shows tough because I don't recognize a lot of the tracks. And from my digging into their work this past weekend, it's because a lot of the tracks I've heard at the previous shows aren't on any release and may have only been played a handful of times before, if that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:58 am 
Singularity ∞

I'm assuming you already have a good deal of his/their stuff, yeah? 'Cause I'd be happy to kickstart you, if not. I've made no effort to start compiling their rarities -- started to once, but it's too big a task and I don't love them enough to bother -- but do have a good collection of their core material. Over 40 of their releases from 1992 to 2015, including a large number of singles and EPs. About 2gb overall.

You want I should upload a ZIP for you, or will that only trigger an OCD reflex to fill in all the blanks?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:30 pm 

Thank you for the offer - I'm good on the core stuff. It's the OCD-completist stuff that scares me. I've got about 200 tracks of unreleased or rare stuff right now that I'm not sure what to do with.

That's in addition to the 51 albums/singles/EPs I've got. I think I'll need to just assume that I'll never have it all.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:03 am 
Singularity ∞

I thought the same about Sonic Youth, but eventually came across a collection someone else put together that got me 95% of the way there. I was able to quickly fill in the rest of the blanks after that.

That one was tough in part because they were releasing "mix tapes" for a while with various unreleased tracks. Available online but only for a limited time, and the song titles sucked, so you often had Songs A on a tape that was actually a different version of Song B from an album.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:42 am 

I think I've actually got all of the Mountain Goats stuff now (barring a CD that's in the mail, and live-only tracks)

I want it all to be lossless, but not stressing it over the cassette-only and vinyl releases.

I'm not sure what to do about those live-only tracks - realistically I'd never listen to them on their own so I think I'm going to ignore them.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:52 am 
Singularity ∞

I usually put them into their own standalone compilations.

And then never listen to them.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:38 am 

Shoe wrote:
I usually put them into their own standalone compilations.

And then never listen to them.

Yeah, I think I'll skip that step. I've got a pretty decent selection of live sets that I listen to though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:00 am 

I had an idea for something that doesn't involve listening to one artists' catalog, but instead the evolution of a genre and appropriate subgenres. I've been working on the playlist off and on for about a week now. I'll post more about it once it's complete. It's fucking massive though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:52 pm 
Singularity ∞

Cary, you'll appreciate this:

I sold a near complete Guided By Voices collection today, with all the EPs, one-off singles, etc, plus six box sets and all the albums, and even all the side projects through 2012.

It was an entire milk crate of nothing but GBV and Pollard.

I was tempted to keep it so I could rip all those non-album tracks and such, but thought about what I'd really be getting myself into and at the last minute said screw it, I'm selling it all. I'm not jumping down that rabbit hole. I have way more GBV than I'll ever listen to, anyway, just with all the albums.

(It was my old man's collection. He was a HUGE Robert Pollard fan.)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:54 pm 

Shoe... you bastard...

"Cary, I have the great collection of GBV and Robert Pollard stuff. Are you interested?"

Yes, Shoe. Yes, I'm very fucking interested.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:16 pm 
Singularity ∞

What!? I'd have offered it to you, but you've often said the same thing I have -- "There's too much fucking GBV stuff out there!" -- so figured there was no chance you'd want a fuckton MORE.

I do still have the extensive collection of live CDs (CD-Rs from the trading scene), so if you have an interest in them, I can set them aside for you. Otherwise, they'll end up recycled.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:04 pm 

If you're comfortable answering, what kind of a price does a collection like that pull in? I can never tell if a complete collection makes it an easier or harder sell, like a hardcore collector probably is your key buyer and they likely have 90% of it already - who wants to pay for it twice?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:11 pm 
Singularity ∞

If you have a collection like that and want top dollar, you should sell the items individually, or in a series of smaller lots. Selling it in bulk does not net you nearly as much much.

It was part of a much larger CD collection I sold, too, about 1,000 CDs total, so I got even less.

And I sold it to a store, not to a person, so I got even less.

I'm okay with all of this because it was taking up loads of space in my house and I wanted it all gone.

Selling that much stuff in bulk to a store means I got minimal money for it all. Roughly 50 cents an album. They didn't take two boxes of the collection, either, about 150 CDs total, but I just left them behind at the store anyway because they needed to be GONE!

Bottom line: Don't sell as a complete collection if you want to maximize your money. Any time I've done that, I've gotten less.

But selling individually is a lot more work. You have to decide if your time is worth it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:08 pm 

Shoe wrote:
What!? I'd have offered it to you, but you've often said the same thing I have -- "There's too much fucking GBV stuff out there!" -- so figured there was no chance you'd want a fuckton MORE.

I do still have the extensive collection of live CDs (CD-Rs from the trading scene), so if you have an interest in them, I can set them aside for you. Otherwise, they'll end up recycled.

To quote Tupac, "I ain't mad atcha." I was mostly fucking with you. I have a couple of the box sets and most of the official album releases by GBV. I have a few Pollard solo discs, a couple of discs of the side projects and then a couple of limited edition vinyl releases (Edison's Demos and the live set that came with that Dogfish Head beer release).

I'm always up for more GBV though. I just don't think I could ever find the time to really dig into it all, but if it were ever available, then yes, I'd take it. If you've got live CD-R's, I'll gladly take them off your hands before you recycle them.

Any chance you're traveling up for Fest at the end of the month? If so, I'll bring an extra bag. Otherwise, PM me how many and I'll get you a FedEx number to use.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:15 am 
Singularity ∞

It's a LOT of shows, not sure of the total number but I believe 100+. They're in jewel cases right now, so it's bulky.

Anyway, they're yours. Let me sort them all out, send you a pic, and we'll take it from there.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:14 am 

Thanks!