It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 425 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Concerts
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:35 am 
Singularity ∞

Electric Co is fantastic. I like that they still break it out now and then.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:19 pm 

Shoe wrote:
Electric Co is fantastic. I like that they still break it out now and then.

They played 4 nights here in Boston. At 2 they played Electric Co, the other two it was Out Of Control.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:27 pm 

I like how this U2 conversation is exactly what they cover in the brand new episode of the U Taklin' U2 2 Me podcast.

The greatest podcast.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:10 am 

The looks of confusion and shock on the faces of the older audience members as a legit mosh pit formed during The Sonics concert was worth the price alone.

The Sonics also fucking murdered it dead.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:50 am 

JFelix wrote:
The looks of confusion and shock on the faces of the older audience members as a legit mosh pit formed during The Sonics concert was worth the price alone.

The Sonics also fucking murdered it dead.

Their new album is fucking righteous!

Seeing Bobby Bare Jr at an 85 (thought it was higher) club tonight, Foo Fighters tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:47 am 

Tried getting tickets to David Gilmour's chicago show. I had decent seats for my dad and I, but was kicked out while putting in my credit card number. Then they were all sold out.

Toronto is more polite and has less scalpers. I bought a ticket today. Dad isn't coming with with. Bummer, figured it would be a good bonding thing.

Pink Floyd! Lasers!

These days I wouldn't go that far for a show, but Gilmour only comes out this way like once a decade.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:28 am 

Earrrthhhhxhejfheijxbdkskdhchebhaaauuuauaudhfhghtbv!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:34 am 

Bobby Bare Jr was great, but I feel bad for him, as there couldn't have been more than 40 people there, quite a few of which decided they'd pay the $10 cover to talk, loudly. I never got this. There are other bars in the neighborhood to drink in that don't have a cover. Why pay $10 a head to drink and not pay attention to the band (the reason behind the cover). Anyway, Bobby was having a great time, and my friend and I scored some bar seats, so I didn't have to have my ancient bones standing up all night. He played a short acoustic set opening up for himself, then a longer electric set with a bass and drummer.

I wish I wasn't working today, as he's playing at a friend of a friends house today, and it would have been fun to go to that before the Foo Fighters.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:19 am 

Kimfair wrote:
Bobby Bare Jr was great, but I feel bad for him, as there couldn't have been more than 40 people there, quite a few of which decided they'd pay the $10 cover to talk, loudly. I never got this. There are other bars in the neighborhood to drink in that don't have a cover. Why pay $10 a head to drink and not pay attention to the band (the reason behind the cover).

Ever date someone who talks in movie theaters?

Some people just need to talk. I was at a show where the seats were $350 each. The people in front of me talked the entire time. I think they were there with their significant others.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:47 am 

brian wrote:

Ever date someone who talks in movie theaters?

Some people just need to talk. I was at a show where the seats were $350 each. The people in front of me talked the entire time. I think they were there with their significant others.

That would be a deal breaker for me. I really don't get spending $10 and talking. Spending $350 and talking is just fucking stupid. Why go?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:02 am 

Foo Fighters at Fenway Park last night. I chose the Sunday show, as the original openers were Mission Of Burma (amazing post-punk Boston band), and The Mighty Mighty Bosstones (okay Boston ska band), but they switched the openers, so they were on Saturday, and we got Royal Blood (who went on first - so I missed them), and The Dropkick Murphys - a faux Irish punk band, who became famous because the Red Sox co-opted their songs Tessie and Shipping Up to Boston. I don't care for them. We saw 1/2 of their set,, then the Foos. Let me start by saying that I'm not a huge Foo Fighters fan. I know some of the hits, and I watched Sonic Highways on HBO, but that's it. Dave seems to be having a great fucking time, and the band is obviously tight, but the problem I have is one I have with most hard rock/guitar/metal bands. The songs all start to meld into one long song. This was especially noticeable when they played three covers. Those songs stuck out as being so different sonically that they really drove home the sameness of their other material. I did love that he brought his surgeon onstage who sang The White Stripes Seven Nation Army. The guy was obviously enjoying himself immensely.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:08 am 

Yeah, after In Your Honor, I couldn't tell you what FF song is from what album - they all sound very similar. The Back And Forth documentary shows why - Grohl doesn't seem to collaborate with other song writers (specifically, melodies), outside of his main click. But those first 3 or 4 albums are great, so he gets a pass.

And shame on you for missing Royal Blood.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:52 am 
Singularity ∞

I like the Foos a good bit, but I'll be the first to acknowledge that they do pretty straightforward, generic rock that clings pretty close to a formula that works for them. Their hits almost all stick with it. This is especially evident live, since they play almost nothing BUT their hits. If you don't know their work well, it's going to sound like the same shit over and over (because it kind of is).

Here's the breakdown. Here's the part where Dave screams. Here's the slight variation on the chorus (which they've already played seven times).

He totally acknowledges it, too, in a tongue-in-cheek way:

Their records have more variety, but even then they have a few albums that just sort of bleed together for me.

That said, I think their 2011 album, Wasting Light, is their best since their second, The Color and the Shape.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:16 am 

Chris Knight wrote:

And shame on you for missing Royal Blood.

The way it was listed on the ad it looked like they would go on second, and I would miss the Dropkick Murphys by showing up a bit late (really only so I could have 2 more cocktails at the bar before the show). That's how I wanted to work, but that obviously didn't work out well for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:44 am 
Singularity ∞

Your openers sounded great. Not a fan of the Bosstones, but I like Dropkick Murphys and LOVE Mission of Burma.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:29 am 

Shoe wrote:
Your openers sounded great. Not a fan of the Bosstones, but I like Dropkick Murphys and LOVE Mission of Burma.

I love Burma as well, but they opened on Saturday, we saw them on Sunday (they were listed originally as an opener on Sunday, which is why I picked that date). We had Royal Blood and Dropkick Murphys. I missed Royal Blood, and caught only half (thankfully - as I'm not a fan) of the Murphys set.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:05 pm 
Pollution Baby

You are not a real Bostonian.

The Drop Kick Murphy's are wicked awesome.

I LOST MY LEEEEEEEEEEG!!!!!!!!

Climbing up the fuckin' top sales, Ya Dick.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:54 pm 

Ericubus wrote:
You are not a real Bostonian.

The Drop Kick Murphy's are wicked awesome.

I LOST MY LEEEEEEEEEEG!!!!!!!!

Climbing up the fuckin' top sales, Ya Dick.

The fake Irish punk thing annoys me. Also, I thought it was in EXTREMELY bad taste to have them perform at the Boston Marathon bombing survivors show with them singing a song about losing a fucking leg.

BY the way, I know you don't care, but he lost his leg "climbing up the top sails", he was a sailor after all!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:04 pm 
Pollution Baby

Kimfair wrote:
...BY the way, I know you don't care, but he lost his leg "climbing up the top sails", he was a sailor after all!
Typical... It's a fucking MET-O-FORE, about shopping in Boston and poor people and stuff and Filene's Basement in the 80's. Fuckin', Yankee fan.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:40 pm 

Ericubus wrote:
It's a fucking MET-O-FORE

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:15 pm 
Singularity ∞

So I got the biggest HOLY FUCK in forever this week.

Was down in DC with friends. Friends mentions that an old favorite, Ride, had done a one-off show or something and how amazing is that?

Pretty amazing, since they hadn't been together for 20 years. Cool!

So we're drinking and on a lark I check on tours and fast forward the story and HOLY SHIT I'M SEEING RIDE AT THE STONE PONY!!!!!!!1!!!

I'm wicked stoked. They sound just like they did 20+ years ago:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:08 am 

A week ago Saturday night (7/25), we wen to see The Mekons on the last date of their mini tour. it was the first time in over 10 years that all 8 members were in attendance (actually only 7, they picked up a bass player for this tour as theirs was the only member who couldn't make it). They were fucking phenomenal. They've been around since 1977, with 2 original members, though the other folks in the band have been in it since the early 1980's. There's a documentary about them, called Revenge of the Mekons. The whole thing is on Youtube, but here's the trailer.

At a show in New York City, accordionist Rico Bell fell backwards into the guitar amp. Beautifully captured on video here:

At about 1:30 Rico goes down, and the banter afterwards explains why The Mekons are so much fun live.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:04 pm 

A Dan Deacon show was just announced today. it's only $3 and less than two weeks away. This day has gone from being hot garbage to joy almost instantaneously.

Other upcoming shows include Kraftwerk, Deafheaven and the Dean Ween Group.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:57 pm 

JFelix wrote:
A Dan Deacon show was just announced today. it's only $3 and less than two weeks away. This day has gone from being hot garbage to joy almost instantaneously.

Other upcoming shows include Kraftwerk, Deafheaven and the Dean Ween Group.

I saw Dan Deacon play in a parking garage when a music festival I was volunteering at got rained out. Dance party with Dan Deacon in a parking garage is a lot of fun.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:58 pm 

Also tickets to an Andy Daly stand-up show! If I meet him I'm going to punch him because his talent intimidates me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:20 pm 

Going to see The Agonist on September 20th, and then probably not to another show for a long, long time.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:16 am 

BATTLES TONIGHT. GONNA BE AWESOME.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:00 am 
Singularity ∞

That was pretty cool.

Like prog rock that isn't annoying fucking world music in the ass with an EDM dildo and then spurting a fat wad onto electronic post-rock's face.

Off to the torrent site I go!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:38 am 

The video for My Machines with Gary Numan (They lost the singer after the first album, had guest vocalists on the second and the new one is all instrumental) is pretty delightful.

Also that one LittleBigPlanet song that will get stuck in your head forever.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:28 pm 
Singularity ∞

JFelix wrote:

BATTLES TONIGHT. GONNA BE AWESOME.

I just downloaded and tagged this shit.

Better be worth it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:52 am 

I enjoy it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:04 am 
Singularity ∞

I'm holding you accountable if I don't.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:52 pm 

DEAFHEAVEN TONIGHT.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:17 am 
Singularity ∞

So how was it?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:24 am 

My wife dragged me to see Pat Benatar and her husband. It was an unplugged thing, so all the hits slowed down and acoustic. Not always a bad thing, but - in this case - jesus christ it was weird and boring. She has a great voice, and doesn't sound any different than she did in the 80s, but her husband seems like a douche. Also, 90 percent of the audience golf-clapped/slept through the event. The drunk girl next to me (who made the entire event bearable) got shushed for singing along. Like...what?

Yeah, I'm not a real fan of her music, but even I was more into seeing live musicians perform on stage than almost everyone else there...just an other-worldly experience, and not a good one.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 425 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next