It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 384 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Concerts
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:06 am 
Black Hole

Chris Knight wrote:
My wife dragged me to see Pat Benatar and her husband.

Dude, polygamy is illegal in America.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:16 am 
Pollution Baby

Shoe wrote:
Chris Knight wrote:
My wife dragged me to see Pat Benatar and her husband.

Dude, polygamy is illegal in America.
You're not looking deep enough. She wanted him to see how Pat Benatar was a reflection of Chris and his life. Looking through that, we can see how Chris' wife vies him and his inner child. Hell, yes, hell, is indeed for children, and Chris is still living through that internally.

My wife tried the same thing with Suzanne Vega.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:42 am 

English is an awful language. I can't imagine writing that sentence any differently, because a comma after Pat Benatar would absolutely imply polygamy.

Bonus - my brother is totally into polyamory (a stupid word that means he can't commit), and always has multiple partners. Family get-togethers are...weird.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:56 pm 

Shoe wrote:
So how was it?

Trivulation opened for them, which I guess was a big deal since there were a lot of their shirts in the audience. They were pulled straight from Sweden and do the Corpsepaint and everything, but it's more Sabath-y riffing with an embarrassingly basic drummer.

Like, if it was two hours to them going on and somehow I got pulled aside and was told I had to drum for Trivulation and had only those two hours to learn everything, it wouldn't be a problem.

Also they had a weird glam vibe in that even though they were wearing full Corpsepaint, it was still the PRETTIEST version of Corpsepaint. Super tight jeans. Everyone had baby powder in their hair so when they headbanged it let out a huge plume of dust - which was kind of cool the first time until you realize that the band had probably lit incense at each side of the stage in order to mask how baby fresh they smelled. Thumbs down.

Deafheaven came on and managed to be so good, I don't really have much to say about the show. I was particularly impressed with the fact they somehow managed to bury the singer almost exactly like the albums. Maybe they didn't even bother turning on his mic, that's how deeply buried in the mix he was.

He also dose a weird trance shtick with lots of elaborate finger movements that reeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaally reminded me of my autistic brother. Also a weird Hybrid David Byrne/Axl Rose snake dancer guy. Zero stage banter, I dug that. It was replaced with feedback/drone interludes in between songs that made the crowd nervous.

My body still hurts. My friend immediately turned to me after the show and admitted that as soon as the pit started pressing up against his torso, it was fart city. We are old. And that is sad.

If they're coming your way, definitely go. This might be the last time they do intimate garbage clubs.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:14 pm 
Black Hole

JFelix wrote:
Deafheaven came on and managed to be so good, I don't really have much to say about the show. I was particularly impressed with the fact they somehow managed to bury the singer almost exactly like the albums. Maybe they didn't even bother turning on his mic, that's how deeply buried in the mix he was.

It was replaced with feedback/drone interludes in between songs that made the crowd nervous.

This all sounds cool.

I checked. They'll be in Philly in a few weeks. Maybe ...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:34 pm 
HMFIC

Chris Knight wrote:
English is an awful language. I can't imagine writing that sentence any differently, because a comma after Pat Benatar would absolutely imply polygamy.

Always assuming that the concert was Pat Benatar with her husband (I have no idea):

"Pat Benatar played a concert with her husband, and my wife dragged me."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:43 pm 

That puts all the emphasis on Pat Benatar (and - yes, Pat Benatar's husband), when it's really about me. Don't like it. Me come first, then rest of information follows.

English sucks. European languages (aside from fucking German) are where it's at.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:36 pm 
HMFIC

Naming Benatar's husband would also distinguish him from you. Or you could say "My wife dragged me to a concert by Pat Benatar and Benatar's husband," though that's my least favorite.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:06 pm 

You could also say something like "My wife dragged me to concert by Pat Benetar. Pat Benetar sucked. So did Pat Benetar's husband, who was also there."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:31 am 
HMFIC

"I'm getting a divorce" also gets the point across tersely.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:39 pm 

I'm on the old rock dude stretch.

Saw David Gilmour in Chicago last month. Played half his stuff/Floyd songs from the boring years (my opinion, don't hate) and half good Floyd. I've been to a few Roger Water shows, and always thought the guitarists did Gilmour's songs justice, but seeing the man himself perform on guitar showed me how wrong I was. Pretty cool. And while half the songs bored me, it gave me a good opportunity to sit in my chair and not care.

I found out today that Paul McCartney is playing a short walk from my apartment. I consider McCartney a goof and really don't give a damn about any of his non-Beatles output (Fuck you for that Wonderful Christmas Time song, Paul) but figure 1. I have Friday off. 2. Short walk from home. 3. Probably worth a nosebleed ticket considering he'll be playing 3 hours of a Beatles-heavy setlist. Yeah? YEAH!? So, I'm $72 poorer and unsure if I'll get my ticket in time from the scalping site. Here's hoping.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:06 pm 
HMFIC

McCartney had a strong album with Band on the Run, and occasional good singles elsewhere post-Beatles. Yeah, the Beatles stuff is better, but it's going to be, isn't it? If the guy in the Beatles had been somebody else and McCartney's first release had been the self-titled record with "Maybe I'm Amazed" on it, I suspect more people would voice a not terribly fervent, but honest, affection for his stuff. It's just the Beatles comparison that makes his solo/Wings stuff look so lightweight.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:10 pm 

Like hey, don't get me wrong, Uncle Albert is an amazing song, but Live and Let Die can die a horrible death.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:19 pm 

Come on, man...Give My Regards To Broad Street is an epic movie. Even has a talking car. McCartney's finest hour.

That or Rupert and the Frog Song. Masterpiece.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:22 am 
HMFIC

brian wrote:
Like hey, don't get me wrong, Uncle Albert is an amazing song, but Live and Let Die can die a horrible death.

I'd say both are fun. But McCartney's solo/Wings stuff is exactly the sort of spotty work that greatest hits albums were made for.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 8:41 am 

It was fun. I even enjoyed Live and Let Die because there were lasers and explosions, what man doesn't enjoy lasers and explosions?

I went from "You're so hokey, McCartney" to "What a charming man!" in the course of an evening. Most dad rock shows I go to, the front man ignores the audience or any banter is the exact same verbatim note-for-note and night-to-night to the point the banter is likely lip-synched. It didn't feel that way last night. And while McCartney doesn't have the greatest singing voice these days, through the magic of bad acoustics and drowning him out in the mix, you really don't notice. It was fun. And he had a brief Prince tribute by playing a section of "Let's Go Crazy."

Well worth the $75 despite being about 2-miles from the stage and fighting a cold.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:23 pm 

Just saw The Handsome Family. My 3rd time - their shows always feel like you're meeting up with friends you haven't seen in a few years.

Their piano/keyboard/guitar player let me play around with his keyboard after the show - always figured that was a huge "no" when it comes to touching a musician's gear, but he offered. Woo! I want one. Like holy shit, I love the organ sounds this thing pumps out:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:12 am 

Man, I love The Handsome Family! Only got to see them once, opening up for the Mekons at the 9:30 Club in Washington DC. Hopefully they'll play in Boston this year.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:40 pm 

Kimfair wrote:
Man, I love The Handsome Family! Only got to see them once, opening up for the Mekons at the 9:30 Club in Washington DC. Hopefully they'll play in Boston this year.

They're not. Sorry. Their set is never disappointing. They seem to have a good ear for what the fans want to hear.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:32 pm 

brian wrote:
Kimfair wrote:

They're not. Sorry. Their set is never disappointing. They seem to have a good ear for what the fans want to hear.

Yeah, their audience here is probably me and a few other people. Too bad, as I'm not sure they've played here in a few years at least.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:20 pm 

Kimfair wrote:
brian wrote:
Kimfair wrote:

Yeah, their audience here is probably me and a few other people. Too bad, as I'm not sure they've played here in a few years at least.

I'm sure they could draw a crowd. They played a small venue last night, but it was pretty full. Especially now that they licensed their song to that one HBO show, they've got a little exposure.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:02 pm 

Sigur Ros tonight (first time, and they're playing a double set with the core band)

Brian Wilson and Al Jardine playing "Pet Sounds" Sunday. Nosebleed scalper special! I've seen the Beach Boys with Brian Wilson before, as well as Brian Wilson solo. Both odd shows. When it comes to Beach Boys, Pet Sounds and Smile are my jam.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:08 pm 

Brian Wilson's singing is not good. It's the 3rd time I've seen him perform, but yeah, there's not much there. It was frustrating because Al Jardine, one of the original Beach Boys was up front as well, and he sounds really damn good - like Brian, just let Al sing.

But I suppose if Brian doesn't sing, and he only mimes at the piano, he wouldn't have much else to do.

Regardless, hearing Pet Sounds made me happy. I was a little disappointed that they played like 20+ other Beach Boys tracks - unless it's Pet Sounds or Smile, there's a high risk of Beach Boys burnout.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:42 pm 
HMFIC

I saw Wilson do the Pet Sounds tour years ago (not sure, but I think it might have been with ol' Frank Gunn). I remember two things:

1. Weirdly, he could still hit the high notes but not the low ones. Usually it's the other way around.

2. Wilson played the keys for the whole show, but his keyboard was completely left out of the house mix. Not sure if he could hear it in his monitor, but the audience couldn't. My bet is that it was there to humor him and possibly not even plugged in.

Sounds like not much has changed.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:48 pm 

My in-laws saw the Beach Boys with Wilson a few years ago and said the same things as you two.

I'm going to see Ghost on October 21st at the Wiltern in L.A. Really looking forward to that show. Perfect for Halloween!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:53 pm 

Eric wrote:
I saw Wilson do the Pet Sounds tour years ago (not sure, but I think it might have been with ol' Frank Gunn). I remember two things:

1. Weirdly, he could still hit the high notes but not the low ones. Usually it's the other way around.

2. Wilson played the keys for the whole show, but his keyboard was completely left out of the house mix. Not sure if he could hear it in his monitor, but the audience couldn't. My bet is that it was there to humor him and possibly not even plugged in.

Sounds like not much has changed.

No, it has. He can't hit the highs either. Once in a while, he'd slip into a lower register, and it sounded alright.

The back-up musicians do the falsetto parts for him.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:56 pm 
HMFIC

Ugh. Guess I'm glad I saw him when I did.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:50 am 
Black Hole

Puddles Pity Party

Remember when this guy went viral?

Well, I went to his show tonight.

A-farking-mazing.

Not even joking, it was the best live show I've seen all year. I laughed all throughout it, even while loving his fantastic renditions of popular songs. He never says a word, his character is mostly silent except when singing. Great physical humor. Running gags throughout. Lots of hilarious audience interaction. He uses film throughout the show, too. It's a combination of comedy and musical and theater, and I can't recommend it enough.

Did a mash-up where he sang the lyrics to Pinball Wizard to the music of At Folsom Prison. A tear-jerking rendition of Danny Boy was also heartwarming and hilarious thanks to the film that accompanied it. Had an audience member on stage for Under Pressure and, well, I won't spoil it, but it was awesome. And tons more.

It ran an hour, maybe hour and a half. Tickets were about $30 a pop. Totally worth. People from their early 20s to their 70s were there, and everyone loved it.

Puddles Pity Party. If you see him coming around, GO.

But get tickets fast. He plays small venues -- this theater sat about 300 -- and it sold out.

http://www.puddlespityparty.com/

So, so good.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:02 am 
Black Hole

I had to write more about that show:

http://ericsanjuan.com/puddles-pity-par ... -on-earth/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:25 pm 

He has a great voice.

Do you ever picture your self at half your current age rolling their eyes at what you're currently excited about? Because I think a singing clown would probably get that out of my teenage self. Sounds fun now though.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:01 pm 

A crisis. Roger Waters is coming to Minnesota this summer.

I like Floyd. But I'm pretty sure the man is just lip syncing the entire time, so going to hear "live" music really just means I'm seeing a cover band and a guy that was part of Floyd, yeah? I don't think that's worth $85+fees.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:40 pm 

$85 for PJ Harvey tickets fuck alllllllllll the way off. I don't care if it's a 1300 capacity venue, The Damned are playing the exact same place for $23.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:50 pm 
Black Hole

I don't pay $85 for big huge acts. For PJ Harvey? Fuck no. And I do love her, but ... no.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:05 pm 

I saw Jens Lekman tonight. He's one of those musicians I've largely forgotten about, despite really digging his stuff years back.

Fun show. You can tell he's working with less money now - back in 2008 he toured with a strings section in medium-sized theaters. Now it's in small rooms with a 3-person backing band. Good show regardless, and holy shit I'm feeling old - 2008 was a long time ago.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:03 pm 

Probably one of my more active concert years in quite some time -

In the past month:
Roger Waters
Andrew Bird
Belle & Sebastian
Echo and the Bunnymen

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 384 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next