It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 425 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Concerts
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:34 pm 

I've actually been keeping a list because my memory just has gone to tits. Venues/states included, So far:

02.17: Ween
02.18: Ween
02.19: Ween (Brooklyn Bowl Las Vegas)
04.14: The Damned (Crystal Balloom)
05.04: The Magnetic Fields (Revolution Hall, Night 2)
05.26: Weener/Poopship
06.17: School of Rock: Sleep Vs. High on Fire (Doug Fir)
06.30: Animal Collective (Roseland)
07.01: Ween (Les Schwab Amphitheater)
07.02: Ween (Marymoor Park) 07.07: Jimmy Flemion of The Frogs (Barracuda, Austin, TX)
08.12: Primus (Edgefield)
08.16: Shabazz Palaces (Star Theater)
08.27: Dead Cross (Wonder Ballroom)
10.14: Sparks
10.15: Sparks
10.17: Sparks (El Rey, LA)
10.19: Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith (Doug Fir)

Shabazz Palaces is actually tonight. :thumbs:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:41 pm 

Does Stephin Merrit of Magnetic Fields still look angered when people clap?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:04 pm 

Dude is quick to cover his ear. The crowd knew what was up and kept it golf clappy.

Maaaannnn I wish I made it to night one and heard the song about The Residents live, though.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:17 am 
Singularity ∞

Ween.

Ween.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:41 pm 

Hell yeah, dogg. Eight times since last August.

If you've never seen them or haven't seen them since they've come back, Ween has been consistently putting on the best shows I've seen in my life, usually three hours and 30+ song sets with no repeats during multiple nights and they continue to pull out stuff they've never played before at just about every show they do.

The crowd also has that Dead/Phish family vibe (oh BOY, I know how that sounds) where everyone is an instant best friend because everyone is having objectively the time of their lives. Ween concerts are the only shows I've gone to where I leave the venue with more drugs than I had coming in.

It also makes for an excellent excuse to travel which I've never really gotten to do before (I was gonna crash with Pender again until those Sparks shows in LA popped up). I guarantee pretty much anyone on this board will get hit up by me for crash space if Ween rolls into your town. Probably with half a dozen friends.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:46 am 
Singularity ∞

I saw a Ween tribute act once. They played forever. It was weird, because they played in a tiny little hole in the wall club that barely fit anyone, yet people drove upwards of 4 hours to go see them.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:14 am 
Singularity ∞

Going to see Willie Nelson tonight, with Sheryl Crow opening.

I'm lukewarm on the latter, she's fine but I wouldn't go out of my way to see her or listen to her.

I love Willie, though. Dude is a legend. Some years back, he and Bob Dylan played just five minutes from my house at a minor league ballpark. Like an idiot, I took a pass. I've regretted it ever since, so I'm glad to get a chance again.

And just $10 for lawn tickets! wOOt!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:16 pm 

Willie is awesome. I saw him about five years ago at the Hollywood Bowl with my wife. She really didn't want to go at first because she's not a big country music fan. She likes classic country though and I kept telling her she'd like it.

We get there and through the whole show she keeps leaning over and asking, "Did he write this?"

I'm saying yes over and over again. She didn't realize he'd written "Crazy" for Patsy Cline or "Me and Paul", "Night Life" or "Whiskey River". At the end she realized she'd been a fan for years but never knew it was him.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:16 pm 

And the openers for that show were Neko Case and Ryan Adams. It's one of my favorite shows of all time.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:18 pm 
Singularity ∞

My only mandatory song is Me and Paul. If he doesn't play that, I'm killin' someone.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:46 am 
Singularity ∞

Okay, I came home from this show with a recommendation for Cary. See below.

Sheryl Crow was kind of boring. Very adult contemporary. She still sounds great, her voice is terrific, and she had decent enough energy, but her backing band was a bunch of older session players who just didn't do anything for me, and aside from a few key songs I find most of her stuff forgettable. It also rained during her set. The ladies we were with thought she was great, though, so there is that.

Willie Nelson was legend. At 84 years old he still rips that guitar up like you wouldn't believe. The man is a monster. He blew through songs like the Ramones, often not stopping at all and just stringing five or six together. He still sounds good, his attitude is great. The backing band mostly takes a back seat. They accompany him in what is close to a Willie & His Guitar show. For $10, this was a steal!

This next one is for CARY C. I know John Carter already likes then, and I suspect Kimfair would dig them, too, but I repeatedly thought during the show, "Cary would like this."

The real revelation was the Avett Brothers. A friend we were there with was a fan and had recommended them to me, but this was the first I had actually heard them. Wow!

They're ostensibly an Americana act steeped in folk and some country, with some rock elements, but they're much more than that. They opened with a slow burning gospel tune. The full band then came out and halfway through the song I knew this act would be different when the brother on the banjo started wailing clangy twangy NOISE during a big climatic instrumental breakdown. He wasn't even attempting to play something in key, he was just fast strumming shit while flailing around on the stage. It was the sort of crescendo I like.

What followed was folk rock that at times reminded me of the Decemberists, but which made occasional nods to Queen, the Who, and even the Clash. There was a good bit of country in there, too. The good sort of country. HUGE energy, really engaging to watch, and I dug just about everything they played upon first listen.

They were fantastic and made me an instant convert. I hope their studio stuff can hold up to the live performance, because they were GREAT.

All in all, pretty great show, especially since the Mrs. and I went for just $30 total, AFTER ticket fees and such. What a steal!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:40 am 

I went to see Beck open for U2 last night.

U2 is stupid and our stadium didn't know how to account for their "paperless ticket" thing, so I missed a chunk of Beck's set as it looked like our gate had a tech glitch. Like, yo, paperless ticket is neat and all, but they could send us mobile QR codes or use credit cards - phone tickets work really well.

People near me talked LOUDLY through the entire Beck set - I couldn't hear the acoustic songs over some banal chatter around me. That sucked.

I stayed for 2 and a half U2 songs and left. I figured I'd be bored. Meaning, I waited 1 hour to hear 6 minutes of U2.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:04 am 

I've seen U2 three times. The first was in a college basketball arena in Tampa back in 1985, the second with B.B. King opening in Yokosuka, Japan and the last time was in 1992 on the Achtung Baby Tour in Atlanta. Each time they were phenomenal for different reasons. Early on, they were truly, truly an electrifying live band. They could connect with an entire arena full of people on a level that I have rarely ever seen with any other artist and there were no giant screens or big props. With Achtung Baby though, it became about spectacle and while I enjoyed that show I didn't really ever feel the need to shell out money to see them again.

At this stage, I figure they're probably playing on autopilot (and I've heard nothing from others to convince me otherwise). I'm sure you didn't miss anything (except Beck).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:12 am 
HMFIC

The Ol' Ball-and-Chain's favorite album has been The Joshua Tree since 1987. Unwavering. There wasn't a way we weren't going to see that show.

On Facebook, Shoe opined that they're a Vegas act now, and I can't really argue that. But I'd love to have seen Sinatra at the Sands. I'm sure the show they put on in the early 80s was great in a very different way, but my opinion is that anybody who's been playing together as long and successfully as they have has probably figured out how to put on a pretty good show. They were a good Vegas act.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:17 am 
Singularity ∞

I have little doubt that when you're among 50,000 other ardent fans singing along to epic songs, it's probably pretty magical. I'd sure get sucked into it, because I adore them.

For someone like Brian, though, there is no draw there.

And for me, I'm content with their records now. Saw them in ... 1997, I think. Maybe '98. I was pretty unimpressed, though in all fairness to them, it was a festival show, not their own gig, so all the bells and whistles weren't there.

That kind of solidified my view that they had transitioned into something different, though. This band used to rip stages apart as just a four-piece rock act. if they need giant TV sets and deluxe stages to entertain, then eh.

If they ever played smaller shows, I'd be interested in seeing that. Otherwise, I'm good.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:17 am 
Singularity ∞

Also, Cary, pay heed to my post above.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:27 am 
HMFIC

Shoe wrote:
That kind of solidified my view that they had transitioned into something different, though. This band used to rip stages apart as just a four-piece rock act. if they need giant TV sets and deluxe stages to entertain, then eh.

They played the pre-Joshua Tree songs that opened their set with no video, the four of them on a small stage in the shape of the tree that stuck out from the main stage. Then they moved to the main stage for the rest of the show and the video went on when they hit the Joshua Tree stuff, with Bono wandering back out to the small stage off and on.

They sounded good for those songs, within the limits of a football stadium. But they looked like ants. Everybody in the crowd was singing along and loving it, but if they'd tried to keep that up in that space, I'm sure attention would have wandered after the rush of them starting had worn off. I'd love to see them in a small club where you could make out what was going on without giant screens, but I'd say the stadium venues sort of demand the spectacle. Even Beck had a bunch of lights and stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:37 pm 

Shoe wrote:
Also, Cary, pay heed to my post above.

I've been meaning to check them out for what seems like years. I've heard nothing but great things about them but when I'm shopping for music, I always forget about them. I'll look them up tonight.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:53 pm 

As an old fuck, I saw U2 on the October tour (1981-2?) at the Orpheum theater in Boston (capacity 2500), again on the War tour at the Orpheum, and then a second time on the War tour at the Worcester Centrum (arena show as they'd hit it big by then). Saw them a fourth time on the last tour prior to this one, and while the gimmicks were cool, and they played a few old songs, it was a completely different vibe than when they were young and hungry.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:05 pm 

No shows until October. :(

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:01 pm 

Went to see John Cleese do a Q&A tonight (following a screening of Holy Grail). The man is hilarious, and he had some great stories - but he really looks like he's on his last legs. It made me feel really old.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:25 pm 

Wilco this past Friday. They put on a good show, but I like a fraction of their catalog. I was kind of bored.

Mountain Goats on Saturday. Another artist with so much output that I'm lucky if I recognize half their set, but goddamn is John Darnielles' enthusiasm contagious. No "Death Metal" closer, but instead, closed with "No Children." It's just as fun to sing along to "I hope we both die!" as it is to hail Satan.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:37 pm 
Singularity ∞

I really like Mountain Goats, but don't know if I'd see them for the same reason. There's just too much material. Even as a moderately avid listener, half the set would go over my head.

I last saw Guided By Voices about 10 years ago. They played endlessly, and did every song you'd want to hear.

Don't know if I'd see them now because who the hell can keep up with all that stuff?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:48 pm 
HMFIC

brian wrote:
Wilco this past Friday. They put on a good show, but I like a fraction of their catalog. I was kind of bored.

I saw Wilco on the Yankee Hotel Foxtrot tour (which is probably when everybody saw Wilco), and I was simultaneously impressed and disappointed with how well they were able to recreate the record. Impressed because some of it sounded pretty random, like it'd be hard to reproduce on purpose, and disappointed because I figured them for a band that would put a different spin on things and make the show more interesting than just hearing the same arrangements. That still the case?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:05 pm 

Yeah, I think that's fair. You don't go to a Wilco show looking for surprises.

I mean, there was something weird that happened, one of the stage hands came out and did a dance and tore off his shirt. But I saw the same guy do this at an Andrew Bird show, so even that wasn't that novel.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:03 pm 

Saw The Mountain Goats open for Jason Isbell this summer. The place seats 5000, and about a third were there for the Goats. Almost all of them left before Isbell hit the stage. Now, I've paid for a show to see the opening act before, but I always stick around to hear the headliner, even if I don't stay for the whole set, but I guess that's me. Also saw Paul Weller, who's softening up in his dotage, playing Start! and Town Called Malice by The Jam, and Have You Ever Had It Blue?, Every Changing Moods, and Shout It To The Top by The Style Council. He played almost 3 hours with 3 multi-song encores.

Also saw Human Sexual Response doing probably their last show ever on their 40th anniversary. Seeing Gary Numan in early December.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:35 pm 

Kimfair wrote:
Saw The Mountain Goats open for Jason Isbell this summer.

I totally forgot about that tour - I skipped out on it because Mountain Goats were the opener for someone I don't really know all that much about. Any good?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:53 am 

I love Isbell. His last three albums have all been stellar. He was once part of the Drive-By Truckers.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:58 pm 
Singularity ∞

Kimfair wrote:
Now, I've paid for a show to see the opening act before, but I always stick around to hear the headliner, even if I don't stay for the whole set, but I guess that's me.

I do the same. At least stick around for the first 3-5 songs, just to be respectful (and also to see if you're going to be into it).

Went to see Against Me! a few years ago when they were opening for The Cult. The Cult is fine, but I can take them or leave them. Stayed for a handful of songs, dug them fine, got as much as I needed, and bailed.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:59 pm 
Singularity ∞

On an unrelated note, I bailed on a Jesus and Mary Chain show last week. Really wanted to see them, but when the time came I wasn't feeling it.

Then was PIISSSSSSED and super disappointed to find out I missed Slowdive while they were in the area. Didn't even know they were in the U.S.

So so so so so so upset about that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:21 pm 

Shoe wrote:
Kimfair wrote:
Now, I've paid for a show to see the opening act before, but I always stick around to hear the headliner, even if I don't stay for the whole set, but I guess that's me.

I do the same. At least stick around for the first 3-5 songs, just to be respectful (and also to see if you're going to be into it).

Went to see Against Me! a few years ago when they were opening for The Cult. The Cult is fine, but I can take them or leave them. Stayed for a handful of songs, dug them fine, got as much as I needed, and bailed.

I went to see Beck open for U2. Didn't really want to stay for U2 but did so anyways. Left after 2.5 songs. I regret waiting the 45 minutes-1 hour between acts to see U2. And that Beck sucks to see at a stadium show with a bunch of people around you talking loudly. Really, the whole show was a loss.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:33 pm 
Singularity ∞

See, I'd neeeverrrr go to a big huge show like that to see the opening act. I try to avoid shows of that size to begin with, then to see an act who most of the audience barely cares about? Recipe for a mediocre time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:45 pm 

Man, I missed Queens of the Stone Age doing a concert hall last time they came through and now they're back doing an arena and I'm so fucking not into the idea whatsoever. I'm a very if-I'm-not-front-row-what's-the-point concert guy.

My friend dropped a Flying Lotus ticket on me tonight. 3D visuals, Kraftwerk-style. I'm excited. Didn't think I'd have any shows coming up until those Residents concert in April.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:32 pm 

Shoe wrote:
See, I'd neeeverrrr go to a big huge show like that to see the opening act. I try to avoid shows of that size to begin with, then to see an act who most of the audience barely cares about? Recipe for a mediocre time.

Yeah, well, I've wanted to see Beck for the past 15 years and this was the first time that it worked out. What's a brian to do?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:54 pm 

I've gotten into Simon & Garfunkel far more than I'd ever expect.

Paul Simon has his "I want more money for the last time" tour. Worth going? Will I be cringing when people start whooping, hollering, and dancing to "Call me Al"?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 425 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next