It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:57 am 
Black Hole

Stoked for you.

This happened to me once when I took my friend on his birthday to see Robert Plant.

I was so close that I could literally feel the annoyance Plant had with me as I screamed, "MORE ZEPPELIN!" after each song.

It was fucking great.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:12 am 

Too funny. There were a ton of guys like you when I saw Plant with Alison Krauss. I hadn't seen so many Zeppelin t-shirts since high school.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:32 pm 

You should wait for her to touch you first.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:28 pm 

You can eat cheaply in London if you hit up the fish and chips shops.

http://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldetail ... ndon/35578

I stayed there. If you want to go cheaply, try a hostel. Though there was a guy with an awful snore when I was there. On the bright side, it's right across the river from Battersea power station, famous for its depiction on Pink Floyd's Animals album. Also when every sub-$700 hotel in London was booked, they let me sleep on a dirty mattress in their basement.
Also get an Oyster rail card if you need to budget things out. Black cabs are really great - the drivers know EVERYTHING, but the tube hits the right mix of cheap and efficient.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:56 am 

We have a hotel (nice looking, under $200 a night). There's no way in hell that my wife would stay in a hostel. Plus I'm the guy who snores! We'll definitely be using the tube, and train system, my wife wants to take me to Watford to see the flat she lived in there. We're not planning on any super expensive dinners, so we'll be hitting up the fish & chips shops, pubs, Indian, etc. I plan on spending some time on the London Chowhound site to find some cheaper places, as well as at least one craft cocktail bar for a splurge. We are taking a touristy chunnel trip to Paris one day, we'll only have an hour or two on our own, so we won't be able to wander too far from the Eiffel Tower (where the tour takes us).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:21 am 
Pollution Baby

Very good, very very good.

Everything I've read about the concert is that your mind will be efficiently blown, have a ball.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:23 am 

Between all the concert info I've read, and the fact that we're in the front row, has me salivating. 3 weeks from tonight, I'll be settling into my seat, awaiting the biggest concert event of my life.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:52 pm 

Yeah, I'm really happy for you, Kimfair. This is going to be an awesome trip and I'm hoping we'll get another travel post when you're back.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:14 pm 

Very cool, Kimfair. You seem sufficiently excited. I'm sure you'll have an awesome trip.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:25 pm 

London is a cool town.

Should be cool. Looking forward to your trip report.

Also, shameful, but I always thought Kate Bush was a 90s artist. I'm not familiar with her music.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:02 am 

brian wrote:
London is a cool town.

Also, shameful, but I always thought Kate Bush was a 90s artist. I'm not familiar with her music.

Here are some of her better songs that she's NOT playing (she's not playing anything prior to the Hounds Of Love album).

Sat In Your Lap from her "the girl's gone mad" album The Dreaming (my favorite of her albums)

The title track from The Dreaming

Army Dreamers from Never For Ever

Babooshka, also from Never For Ever (I had a promo poster of her in the chain mail suit on my wall in college)

Her most famous song Wuthering Heights from her first album The Kick Inside, written when she was 16.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:12 pm 

So some folks are getting letters from the concert hall that their seats have been moved to better ones for the shows on 9/16 and 9/17 to accommodate cameras which will be filming the show for eventual DVD/BluRay release! News on this front just continues to get fucking better.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:14 pm 

brian wrote:
London is a cool town.

Agreed I loved London, no mater how long you have you'll never see everything. I hope you have a great time Kimfair, I got to see The Corrs in Brighton when I was there.

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:06 am 
Pollution Baby

Update, Motherfucker!

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:08 am 

I'm furiously writing my blog post on the whole trip as we speak. As I said on my Twitter feed, the show was the nexus of concert and avant garde theater. After a regular concert type 6 songs, she goes into The Ninth Wave, the whole second side of her exquisite album, The Hounds Of Love. It is the song cycle that tells the story of a woman lost at sea. As a story, I never quite got the whole narrative, listening to the album, but the staging and a short expository theater piece pulls brought it all together. This section had skeletal fish people use a piece of fabric the length of the stage to create waves, a cut away living room where dad and son wonder where mom is, a large listing buoy, and more. The second half was her second CD of her penultimate (2005) release Aerial, called a Sky Of Honey. This is a very atmospheric song cycle, that lightly chronicles a perfect day from sun-up to the following dawn. There's a ton of other songs I'd have rather heard here, but she did the theater part so well, with huge doors, puppeteers, video on a huge high quality screen behind the band, with a surprise ending. Two song encore, a song from her newest release, 50 Words for Snow, called Among Angels. Finally a rousing version of the song Cloudbusting from Hounds of Love. Tears of joy ran from my eyes upon hearing her voice sing the opening lyrics, "I still dream of Organon..." A truly magical night, it will be released sometime soon on DVD, and hopefully Blu-Ray.

The video for Cloudbusting stars Donald Sutherland, and tells a real life story

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:27 am 
Pollution Baby

I've been following the stuff you put on facebook too, I was just curious about the concert aspect of it.

I'm glad it lived up to your expectations, that is truly awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:38 am 

:thumbs:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:06 am 

I'm glad you had a good time.

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:13 am 
Sinkhole

Kimfair wrote:
As I said on my Twitter feed

Your Twitter feed? :roll:

Apart from that, it sounds like a delightful, memorable, and all together enthralling night. I'm so glad you got to go!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:19 pm 

Blame Andrew. He insisted I do Twitter.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:16 pm 

Sounds awesome!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:32 pm 

Sounds fantastic. Loved the blog post too!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:35 pm 
Sinkhole

You're looking very dapper in your tea finery! Sounds wonderful and tell K I can totally relate to the sea of shoes incident. :wink:

I'm still waiting for the main attraction though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:29 pm 

I hope to have it up by the weekend. It was something truly special.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:16 am 

Looking forward to going home after work to see if the bootleg of the Kate Bush show that I saw downloaded fine or not.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:15 pm 
Sinkhole

Kimfair wrote:
Looking forward to going home after work to see if the bootleg of the Kate Bush show that I saw downloaded fine or not.

Really? Oh goody. :thumbs:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:22 pm 

tigerpal wrote:
Kimfair wrote:

Really? Oh goody. :thumbs:

Just an audio boot, I have one from the 8/27 show, I just figured it would be nice to have one from the show we saw. It's converting from flac as I type.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:47 am 

So after 2 years, the show is being released on 3 CD's or 4 LP's. No BluRay DVD yet, maybe we'll get one, as it was filmed, BUT, I've heard a track from this release and it sounds light years better than the bootlegs I have. Can't wait! UK/European release on 11/25/16, US release on 12/2.