It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:07 am 

Okay, so maybe not everyone here works out, but what are your favorite tunes to motivate you to actually move if you choose to do so?

I have an iPod shuffle that has about 3.5 - 4 hours of music on it that I run to. There are definitely songs on there that I pick up my pace for without even thinking. My favorite five (in no particular order) are:

De La Soul - Ego Trippin' Part II

I don't know what it is about this song. It's not particularly fast and in fact the flow is very laid back, but I get into a groove every time it comes on and no matter how tired I am, I pick it up for the duration.

Killing Joke - Seeing Red

This one makes more sense in that the beat is relentless. I love Killing Joke anyway but this song has been on my running mix for years.

Dead Milkmen - Big Lizard in my Backyard

This is the song that's been in my running mix the longest. Back in 1991 when I first started running for fun, I had this on a cassette tape that I played in my Sony Walkman. Again, for this one it's the consistent beat that originally got me but now that my pace is slower, I still find it picking me up.

Drive-By Truckers - Pauline Hawkins

This is another odd one in that it's not a consistent beat like the two above. In fact, there's a whole piano breakdown in the latter part of the song.

Black Lipstick - Grandma Airplane

There are four songs from this band on my running mix. They are very much inspired by The Velvet Underground and all of their songs (especially the ones from this album Sincerely, Black Lipstick) dwell on long, almost hypnotic grooves. This one is my favorite of the four though.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:17 pm 
Pollution Baby

When I was much younger, late teens early twenties, I made a workout mix that contains some of the cheesiest choices a workout reel could include. I can't remember all of them right now, but one prime example...

Spoiler: show

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:43 pm 

I have a friend who does the same thing. His is stuff like "Living on a Prayer", "There's Only One Way To Rock", "Rock and Roll All Nite", etc. While I like those songs, I can't run to them.

Part of what I get out of running is almost a zen thing. My head gets into a different space (same with diving). Music helps me get there but if I'm listening to "Won't Get Fooled Again" for the hundred millionth time, I stop listening and start thinking about how much of my run is left, how my feet are feeling, etc. Hearing something I don't hear all the time like De La Soul (which I rarely play outside of running) keeps me engaged enough to lose myself in the audio.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:49 pm 
Pollution Baby

caryc wrote:
...Part of what I get out of running is almost a zen thing. My head gets into a different space (same with diving). Music helps me get there but if I'm listening to "Won't Get Fooled Again" for the hundred millionth time, I stop listening and start thinking about how much of my run is left, how my feet are feeling, etc. Hearing something I don't hear all the time like De La Soul (which I rarely play outside of running) keeps me engaged enough to lose myself in the audio.
Actually, I do this while writing code. I put on big ass wireless headphones, I can not be tethered, and kind of slip into a rhythmic thought process that helps everything to click much better. Let the logic flow, if you will.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:30 pm 

Very cool. I wish my job allowed for that. My main function is to put out fires so there's very little I can do where I'm 100% focused.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:09 am 
Singularity ∞

I have no idea what this "working out" and "running" thing is.